The Final Shot

jetsfan58

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be fair it is not my opinion. I'm just relaying the information that is already out there and available considering you brought up the subject. To be honest I'm not even sure why me saying your hypothesis has been tested is such a bad thing 🙁. I thought you would be happy that other people are thinking the same thing🤔 never thought it would be assumed as an insult 😳

Actually, I would be shocked if people weren't thinking that trust in institutions wasn't a factor.  It seems pretty easy to make that conjecture even by a layperson like myself.   What I haven't seen is any reports or sturdies as to its relative importance.  I am sure the social "scientists" will get to it some day in a rigorous manner.  Share away if you have good references.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, crewsweeper said:

Not everyone wants a vaccine.  Lots of fearmongering on social media.  Just like the fear of the spread of COVID itself. Part of the that is related to the virus's unknowns in the early stages of the pandemic.

World wide there have been 111 million+ cases since the beginning.  That's only of the world population.  Over 85 million have recovered.  23 million are active of which less than 100,000 are severe. 2.5 million have died but that only 3% of the total cases.   The majority of deaths have been people over 75 and many of those have had pre-morbid conditions, like pneumonia and other respiratory ailments or diseases that impact the immunity system.  Few under 50 have died.  Yet  the lockdowns and media push is that the virus spreads rapidly and to everybody.

Don't flame me, all those who have suffered and all who have died makes me very sad. But I hope down the road, the powers that be handle the virus as a medical risk management issue like the flu and develop means of better protection and lessening of symptoms.  Masks are fine as far as they go, but once wet from breathing they lose their effectiveness.  Pack a few cases of N-95 masks instead of sodas on the next cruise..  Handwashing helps on a lot of other respiratory ailments.  Flu cases have dropped considerably for example.  On cruises hand sanitation and cleaning of common public areas can go a long way to stopping cases of NORO.

Great read.  I'm not getting any vaccine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Great read.  I'm not getting any vaccine.

That is certainly your choice.   This report from the World Economic Forum published last May suggested the COVID pandemic would last 2 years.  As reference, I believe the 1918 Flu pandemic lasted 3 years so we should feel pretty good if things are rolling along pretty good in Feb-March 2022 although travel restrictions will be the last things to fade away.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-pandemic-last-2-years/

Personally I plan on getting the vaccine.  Why you might ask?  I want to go travel again and think a vaccination will help get travel sooner and I believe the vaccine provides a health benefit at very minimal risk.

• Like 1

It seems that facts are being modified by the drug companies without intense review. They were approved under emergency action and now we hear different, but encouraging statistics. These facts may or maynot be totally correct, and it seems some want to to in a totally new direction like not following the two shot protocol which is the regiment for which they were approved. Aren't we supposed to be following the science, meaning FDA and other government approval?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, Markanddonna said:

It seems that facts are being modified by the drug companies without intense review. They were approved under emergency action and now we hear different, but encouraging statistics. These facts may or maynot be totally correct, and it seems some want to to in a totally new direction like not following the two shot protocol which is the regiment for which they were approved. Aren't we supposed to be following the science, meaning FDA and other government approval?

Confusing.  The vaccines were given Emergency Use Authorization by the US FDA following testing to expedite their use to counter COVID-19.  Each has a separate EUA.  The J&J vaccine received its EUA for only one, instead of two, inoculations.  Doesn't imply its better or worse than Pfizer or Moderna.  Nothing sinister about it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Confusing.  The vaccines were given Emergency Use Authorization by the US FDA following testing to expedite their use to counter COVID-19.  Each has a separate EUA.  The J&J vaccine received its EUA for only one, instead of two, inoculations.  Doesn't imply its better or worse than Pfizer or Moderna.  Nothing sinister about it.  

Nothing sinister about the vaccines, but they were developed with a protocol that we should adhere to. I'm happily fully vaccinated.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:25 PM, SelectSys said:

Personally I plan on getting the vaccine.  Why you might ask?  I want to go travel again and think a vaccination will help get travel sooner and I believe the vaccine provides a health benefit at very minimal risk.

I got the vaccine because 1) I'm among the high-risk group, and 2) I would like to be part of the solution.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I got the vaccine because 1) I'm among the high-risk group, and 2) I would like to be part of the solution.  

Honestly? then #2 even though I'm also #1.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:50 PM, SelectSys said:

Yes.  Ferries run from at least Cancun and Playa del Carmen to Cozumel.  The Cozumel ferry terminal is close to the cruise terminals.  The biggest downside are that the cruise terminals in Cozumel  are mostly just piers and don't really have much in the way of infrastructure for processing passengers and luggage, but the could be reconfigured.  

The trip from Playa del Carmen would be the best as the bus ride from the airport is about an hour and the ferry would be less than an hour to cross. 

I have done that ferry trip once, though from Cozumel to the mainland; I don't normally get sea sick, even in rough seas, but that trip was a nightmare, and it wasn't even that rough.  This was years ago (70's) so maybe more modern ferries are more stable.  Otherwise, don't know if I'd chance it.

10 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I have done that ferry trip once, though from Cozumel to the mainland; I don't normally get sea sick, even in rough seas, but that trip was a nightmare, and it wasn't even that rough.  This was years ago (70's) so maybe more modern ferries are more stable.  Otherwise, don't know if I'd chance it.

That ferry run is often referred to as the vomit comet.  😉

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, ldubs said:

Yes, a third might be that with the talk of a "Vaccine Passport" and that it may be required to enter other countries and venues.  Those folks that are digging their heels in and not getting the vaccine may also be limiting what they can do.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, ldubs said:

I totally agree on the being part of the solution even though who wouldn't want some measure of protection against death and serious disease for personal reasons?  If that wasn't the case we wouldn't see so much gaming of the vaccine distribution system.

My age falls just a bit under the 65 boundary.  Even though I have a slight immune system issue it is not sufficient to bump my priority up from the general population.   My vaccine availability will likely come when everyone over 16 is eligible.

Other countries are going based on age.  Mexico's plan - being data driven -  is using age as the primary factor based on observed mortality rates.  Other factors come into play, but the following picture drives the first priority (deaths by age).   The UK has a similar plan.   California is doling out vaccine by politics.

image.png.f1df771a30c605eedccf2ec1d8e31546.png

Mexican phases (they are behind):

image.png.8d4d8f98ae908c52f7ddd6c18e16800b.png

https://coronavirus.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/PolVx_COVID_-11Ene2021.pdf

22 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Yes, it can be rough at times.  The boats are probably better now.  Lots of them are catamarans now which are likely faster and more stable than the boats from the 70's.  

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I totally agree on the being part of the solution even though who wouldn't want some measure of protection against death and serious disease for personal reasons?  If that wasn't the case we wouldn't see so much gaming of the vaccine distribution system.

My age falls just a bit under the 65 boundary.  Even though I have a slight immune system issue it is not sufficient to bump my priority up from the general population.   My vaccine availability will likely come when everyone over 16 is eligible.

Yes, I did not mean to imply otherwise.   

In my county 93% of deaths are 50+ age group.   I still don't understand why the 55+ tier was completely eliminated.  I've asked my state rep's but they have yet to respond.   

Stay safe.  Hopefully the vaccine supply will catch up and folks won't have to wait too long.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

In my county 93% of deaths are 50+ age group.   I still don't understand why the 55+ tier was completely eliminated.  I've asked my state rep's but they have yet to respond.   

I think the reason is that too many powerful interests groups want to be considered.  For example, the teachers and other school unions won't step inside the buildings until they reach 100% vaccination - regardless of age.   I heard the head of SD Unified talk on the subject today.  School won't start until everyone on staff is vaccinated regardless of risk.

I sent a letter to the governor's office.  No response.  Maybe I will ping them again.

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

Stay safe.  Hopefully the vaccine supply will catch up and folks won't have to wait too long.

We'll see.  I have been thinking about registering in Mexico too as they are ramping up.  I can use a family member's address in Tijuana and the Mexican government will vaccinate anyone in the country regardless of immigration status.  That would be ironic - a US citizen going to Mexico to be vaccinated quicker.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

We'll see.  I have been thinking about registering in Mexico too as they are ramping up.  I can use a family member's address in Tijuana and the Mexican government will vaccinate anyone in the country regardless of immigration status.  That would be ironic - a US citizen going to Mexico to be vaccinated quicker.

I want to be respectful BUT to a person everyone *I* know is quite critical of those who are 'cheating.' Because you're able to do this doesn't make it ethically correct.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I think the reason is that too many powerful interests groups want to be considered.  For example, the teachers and other school unions won't step inside the buildings until they reach 100% vaccination - regardless of age.   I heard the head of SD Unified talk on the subject today.  School won't start until everyone on staff is vaccinated regardless of risk.

I sent a letter to the governor's office.  No response.  Maybe I will ping them again.

Special interest groups as well as fodder for the sheep, to be sure.   I actually think classroom teachers should have had a higher priority to begin with.  Again a lack of focus/planning by our elected officials in favor of politics.  You know, it was common to hear our politicians bad mouth the vaccine when it was being developed by the previous administration, even including scare tactics.   But they sure were not shy about cutting to the front of the line when the vaccine was released.  

Kind of funny that those who likely deem it OK for non-citizens to get the vaccine in their state would criticize the same thing happening in Mexico.     

17 hours ago, clo said:

I want to be respectful BUT to a person everyone *I* know is quite critical of those who are 'cheating.' Because you're able to do this doesn't make it ethically correct.

Getting a vaccine in Mexico is permissible as a foreigner.  What is wrong with this ethically?  My own state suggests I am not important to them even though I am at a much higher health risk than many others receiving the vaccine right now because of politics rather than science. 

Isn't it OK to seek aid and sanctuary elsewhere?   

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2021/02/24/mexican-president-amlo-says-mexico-doing-better-than-us-covid-19/6804313002/

Presidential spokesman Jesús Ramírez said that was a mistake, and promised everyone over 60, foreigners and Mexicans alike, would have access to vaccines.

"That was a photo of one center, and that message was corrected," Ramírez said.

But Dr. Ruy López Ridaura, the country's director of disease prevention and control, said the exclusion of foreigners apparently occurred at other sites in the opening weeks of the vaccination effort.

"There may have been some confusion at some operating sites," López Ridaura said. "It was a communication problem. ... The orders are totally clear now, foreigners will also receive their vaccinations." 

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You know, it was common to hear our politicians bad mouth the vaccine when it was being developed by the previous administration, even including scare tactics.   But they sure were not shy about cutting to the front of the line when the vaccine was released.  

This is true.  Politics rather than science rules everything!

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Kind of funny that those who likely deem it OK for non-citizens to get the vaccine in their state would criticize the same thing happening in Mexico

There is a touch of irony for sure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Kind of funny that those who likely deem it OK for non-citizens to get the vaccine in their state would criticize the same thing happening in Mexico.     

I'll make a distinction between "non-citizens" and "non-residents." I know a woman from Eastern Europe who is here on a green card. So a "non-citizen."

22 minutes ago, clo said:

I'll make a distinction between "non-citizens" and "non-residents." I know a woman from Eastern Europe who is here on a green card. So a "non-citizen."

You can also make the distinction between those people living here with legal status - green card, student visa, work visa, etc - and those without status and just decided to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

You can also make the distinction between those people living here with legal status - green card, student visa, work visa, etc - and those without status and just decided to come.

Any "solution" should not require an investigation into citizenship.  In Florida the first rush of over 65s from anywhere was met with residence since too many people were crossing state lines.  DL or a utility bill worked.  I would think Mexico would be doing similar - residency required.  "Limitations" are starting to fall by the wayside as more vaccine supplies exceed actual demand.

• Like 1

1431917182_ScreenShot2021-03-18at8_25_16PM.thumb.png.70abf8d40aae8d984f01f708fafe7268.png

This is hogwash.  The "previous administration" had zero interest in developing COVID-19 vaccines and in fact touted that theirs would not impact Americans.  Only the scientists at CDC and big pharma pushed forward with vaccine development.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is hogwash.  The "previous administration" had zero interest in developing COVID-19 vaccines and in fact touted that theirs would not impact Americans.  Only the scientists at CDC and big pharma pushed forward with vaccine development.

Uh huh.  Your reality is pretty sad.   I wish you well.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

1431917182_ScreenShot2021-03-18at8_25_16PM.thumb.png.70abf8d40aae8d984f01f708fafe7268.png

Actually it is a little more complicated than that. Pfizer committed to creating a vaccine because the Trump administration agreed to purchase 100 million doses with an option for 500 million more. So knowing they have a buyer lined up gave them the confidence to pursue the vaccine. No funding came from Operation Warp Speed. Meanwhile the German government did give BioNTech $445 million to develop the RNA technology that Pfizer used to create the vaccine. While it is correct to say Operation Warp Speed did not fund the development of vaccines it did fund the production of vaccines should they pass the trials.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

DL or a utility bill worked.  I would think Mexico would be doing similar - residency required.  "Limitations" are starting to fall by the wayside as more vaccine supplies exceed actual demand.

Well, in CA a drivers license or utility bill aren't required to get a vaccine.  You have to realize that many of our local undocumented residents simply don't have local IDs or utility services.   You can get a DL as an undocumented, but they still have to pass the drivers test.  As such, tons of people are driving without valid licenses.

Not sure of the specific policies in Mexico, but they are also having more undocumented people living in the country.  This includes people from Africa, Central America and a large number of people from the US.  My plan would be to use a family member's address in Tijuana and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is hogwash.  The "previous administration" had zero interest in developing COVID-19 vaccines

Do you really believe this statement to be true?  Wow.  @clo - do you also believe this as you gave this comment a like?

Here are some stories for you to consider-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-operation-warp-speed-worked-11612222129

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/proud-vaccine-success-warp-speed-s-ex-science-head-talks-politics-presidents-and-future

Even Politico which is definitely left leaning acknowledges the success of vaccine development!

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/17/crash-landing-of-operation-warp-speed-459892

“Operation Warp Speed” — occupies a peculiar place in the annals of the administration’s ill-fated response to Covid-19: In many ways, it was successful, living up to the highest expectations of its architects. The Trump administration did help deliver a pair of working vaccines in 2020, with more shots on the way.

• Like 2