Chances of a Kids Sail Free This Spring?

RCCL Fan

I know some of you have become excellent at tracking RCI pricing....   I'm lazy and just wait for the emails. lol

What are the chances of seeing another kids sail free sale before the summer?   

We have enough booked for sure, but are thinking about squeezing one more in if we can this summer......

5 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I know some of you have become excellent at tracking RCI pricing....   I'm lazy and just wait for the emails. lol

What are the chances of seeing another kids sail free sale before the summer?   

We have enough booked for sure, but are thinking about squeezing one more in if we can this summer......

I just saw March’s promo and there’s no KSF.

it’s been a while since Royal ran it.  Maybe they are holding off since there’s a lot of FCC’s out there 

I don't see it happening. For the sake of the discussion lets assume that the ships will be sailing this summer.  If they have to sail  at 50% capacity why would they want to give away valuable space for non paying passengers? It's also not financially feasible given the current loss they have taken.  If they decide that everyone needs to have the vaccine that would mean that kids can't sail at all.   There are also a lot of FCCs that people will be forced to use no matter what the cruise line charges.

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't see it happening. For the sake of the discussion lets assume that the ships will be sailing this summer.  If they have to sail  at 50% capacity why would they want to give away valuable space for non paying passengers? It's also not financially feasible given the current loss they have taken.  If they decide that everyone needs to have the vaccine that would mean that kids can't sail at all.   There are also a lot of FCCs that people will be forced to use no matter what the cruise line charges.

Trust me I get it.  I don't see how so much will work moving forward....   

But....   They had a Kids Sail Free deal during  the holidays, because I bit and bought another cruise and surprised my family Christmas morning.    I was shocked they did it for all the reasons you stated but they did.

So... I'm here, in my daughter's last year qualifying for KSF with my eyes peeled..... just in case  🙂

• Like 2

What are the chances of any ships sailing this summer? It's sad to think of cruising this way, but do we see anything that is leading us to believe that cruises will return any time soon? I quit letting them hold any of my money until things get back underway.

• Like 1

I know my August Oasis cruise is toast, and I'm keeping fingers crossed for Halloween on the Mardi Gras.  The real line in the sand is whether vaccinations will be mandatory for the short term, thus eliminating the possibility of kids sailing.

3 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Couldn’t they make an exception for kids? They get to make up their own rules around vaccination requirements. 😉

I have a kid of 3 y.o , my wife is against vaccination, while I am still planning to be vaccinated.. and we have no idea what to do about our kid in this matter. Its not like kids are safe in any way from Covid. I would rather say that they are most vulnerable cause its harder to treat them 

If they need more interest free loans from parents, I mean deposits😉, then it might happen. In all honesty if vaccines might be needed KSF doesn’t seem like a good sale at this point in time. 

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Totally agree with you. Its pointless and not very profitable. I am sure they will avoid this practise or at least announce say a few cabins to be available to travel with kids. 

44 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Couldn’t they make an exception for kids? They get to make up their own rules around vaccination requirements. 😉

Kids can also transmit the virus.  If the cruise lines are going to mandate that all crew and adults are vaccinated, it would be foolish to allow kids a pass just so the cruise lines can get the monetary benefit of having families on board.  If it takes a year at the most until a vaccine for kids are available, then during that year families will just have to choose another vacationing method or little Johnnie and little Mary just stay home.  It's not like families aren't choosing another method for this summer anyhow.

Edit...saw your wink, but I know there are others reading this thread that don't care about the common good and want their family to go cruising ASAP.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Kids can also transmit the virus.  If the cruise lines are going to mandate that all crew and adults are vaccinated, it would be foolish to allow kids a pass just so the cruise lines can get the monetary benefit of having families on board.  If it takes a year at the most until a vaccine for kids are available, then during that year families will just have to choose another vacationing method or little Johnnie and little Mary just stay home.  It's not like families aren't choosing another method for this summer anyhow.

Edit...saw your wink, but I know there are others reading this thread that don't care about the common good and want their family to go cruising ASAP.

Honest question, if all crew and adults are vaccinated what is the risk to them with an unvaccinated person (child) on board? And if crew and adults are all vaccinated how is the "common good" affected at all?

To the original post - we're users of the KSF also........ best I've seen was a "Kids Sail From $19 a night"..... which was an interesting new wrinkle. Had no success finding the $19 a night options either. 🙂 

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I have a kid of 3 y.o , my wife is against vaccination, while I am still planning to be vaccinated.. and we have no idea what to do about our kid in this matter. Its not like kids are safe in any way from Covid. I would rather say that they are most vulnerable cause its harder to treat them 

What? That's pure nonsense. By all measures, kids are resistant to COVID and carry more risk from the flu (which you should absolutely be vaccinating your 3 y/o against, esp if they're in a care setting).

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Why should we be worried about the virus transmitting onboard if it's transmitting at the same rate it is on land? A ship may be oasis class, but it's not an Oasis separated from the realities of its homeport. If all adults onboard are vaccinated, who will fall seriously ill? And even if vaccinated, a portion will be carriers of the virus at about the same background rate as wherever they are coming from reduced by a very specific amount according to whatever vaccine they have taken (J&J just showed data that said the vaccine may reduce asymptomatic transmission by 75%, Israel has data suggesting Pfizer is just shy of 90%, AZ showed 50%). So the virus will be "transmitting" (albeit at reduced rates) among vaccinated adults, maybe less so among those with mRNA vaccines.

Edited by lizzius

36 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

To the original post - we're users of the KSF also........ best I've seen was a "Kids Sail From $19 a night"..... which was an interesting new wrinkle.

Kids sail free has not changed in the past few years.  It is kids sail free but that applies only to cruise fare...they still have to pay taxes and fees

24 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Why should we be worried about the virus transmitting onboard if it's transmitting at the same rate it is on land? A ship may be oasis class, but it's not an Oasis separated from the realities of its homeport. If all adults onboard are vaccinated, who will fall seriously ill? And even if vaccinated, a portion will be carriers of the virus at about the same background rate as wherever they are coming from reduced by a very specific amount according to whatever vaccine they have taken (J&J just showed data that said the vaccine may reduce asymptomatic transmission by 75%, Israel has data suggesting Pfizer is just shy of 90%, AZ showed 50%). So the virus will be "transmitting" (albeit at reduced rates) among vaccinated adults, maybe less so among those with mRNA vaccines.

While it is extremely rare for kids to get a serious case of Covid that requires hospitalization it has happened and can happen.  Can you imagine the consequences if that happened on a ship.  cruise lines will be overly cautious IMO

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While it is extremely rare for kids to get a serious case of Covid that requires hospitalization it has happened and can happen.  Can you imagine the consequences if that happened on a ship.  cruise lines will be overly cautious IMO

Well, if you are suggesting cruises without children, count me in!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The odds of a kid testing negative pre-cruise, then needing hospitalization for covid during the cruise are probably lower than a kid falling overboard.

The odds of ANYONE testing negative pre-cruise, then needing hospitalization for covid during the cruise are very, very low. Probably the same odds of someone needing hospitalization for any reason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A 60 year old given the vaccine *still* has a higher likelihood of needing hospitalization or dying than most children do.

There have been cases of misdiagnosed infant meningitis on cruise ships resulting in serious consequences, and fueled by borderline negligence among ship's medical staff, yet here we are.

You're setting an impossible expectation, not consistent with the risks we take in every day normal life, and not reflective of cruising in general.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The odds of a kid testing negative pre-cruise, then needing hospitalization for covid during the cruise are probably lower than a kid falling overboard.

The odds of ANYONE testing negative pre-cruise, then needing hospitalization for covid during the cruise are very, very low. Probably the same odds of someone needing hospitalization for any reason.

I don't disagree with that.  Just stating my opinion on what the cruise line may do.

20 minutes ago, lizzius said:

A 60 year old given the vaccine *still* has a higher likelihood of needing hospitalization or dying than most children do.

There have been cases of misdiagnosed infant meningitis on cruise ships resulting in serious consequences, and fueled by borderline negligence among ship's medical staff, yet here we are.

You're setting an impossible expectation, not consistent with the risks we take in every day normal life, and not reflective of cruising in general.

Like I said to Smokey, I don't disagree with that but the cruise lines may see it otherwise

It all goes back to people thinking every cruise in 2021 or beyond will worse than Diamond Princess in early 2020.  Yet, even Diamond Princess only had a couple hundred positive tests (with rudimentary testing) with absolutely zero covid interventions or treatments, none the less vaccines. Many with close contacts with those that tested positive never themselves tested positive.  Despite an average passenger age of 69, there were only 14 deaths, nearly all of which were 70+.

Now we're going to start cruising with extra cleaning, extra ventilation, pre-emptive testing, distancing, masks and vaccines and probably less people for the near future.

Yet people fear a return to cruising.

Edited by smokeybandit

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Why should they do that?  If the rule is vaccinations are required in order to sail then that should be the rule with no exceptions.  Once you open the gate on one exemption, it will simply snowball - everyone will have their own reason why they should not be required to be vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Why should they do that?  If the rule is vaccinations are required in order to sail then that should be the rule with no exceptions.  Once you open the gate on one exemption, it will simply snowball - everyone will have their own reason why they should not be required to be vaccinated.

It's easy then: prove you have the immune response of a child, and you don't need the vaccine. Can't do that? Then get your vaccine.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I wanted to give you more than one like but it won't let me😇

Just going to point people to this thread when people ask if the RC regulars are a family friendly bunch in the future. *Insert the world's biggest eye-roll*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2