Edge and Apex

tobinater

Help please. I am looking for a transatlantic cruise for 2022 and I need some information. Do then Apex and edge have defined balconies? Is there a spot on your balcony with two chairs that you can sit out? The descriptions on the website and in the brochure or a little unclear. Thank you for your help.

The Edge & Apex have primarily infinite verandas which do not have a exterior balcony.  Those cabins have a floor to ceiling window and the top half lowers.  There are 2 chairs and a small table to sit and look out.

The cabins that have exterior balconies are the suites & the Sunset veranda cabins.

There are some far forward & aft veranda cabins category 1A & 1B that have a small veranda built into the hull, but not what I would consider a traditional veranda.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the Royal suite balconies smaller than Celebrity suites?  The RS looks like there is a glass enclosed area that takes up half the balcony area?   Is RS12102 balcony view blocked on the left looking out by the wing and extra balcony extension of the bigger suite?

14 minutes ago, CK57 said:

Are the Royal suite balconies smaller than Celebrity suites?  The RS looks like there is a glass enclosed area that takes up half the balcony area?   Is RS12102 balcony view blocked on the left looking out by the wing and extra balcony extension of the bigger suite?

RS balconies are just over 70SF and CS is 50SF, there is a nice floor to ceiling sitting area in RS but unfortunately it does have direct access to balcony.  Balcony access is thru the private bedroom.  You may want to check out the Edge Villa, depending on your budget, it has a 211SF balcony with plunge pool.

Celebrity Edge Royal Suite - YouTube

Celebrity Edge Celebrity Suite - YouTube

Hey OP!

Look at these two videos.  The Celebrity Suite outside portion of the balcony is clearly larger than the Royal Suite.  The Celebrity Suite has 2-lounge chairs, table and 2 additional chairs.  Royal suite - just 2-chairs.  If the balcony is the tipping point, I would select the Celebrity suite.

Nor matter which one you select, it will be fantastic!

Cheers!

🍹

I think we made a booking error.  We want to have a true balcony to sit outside on.  We are currently booked on the Edge for November in concierge class.  We booked through Expedia, and the description said "private balcony".  Will I have a place to sit in the sun, or will I be sitting in my stateroom with essentially a big window?  I will change my booking if I need to in order to get a true balcony.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim - You will have an Infinite Veranda in your Concierge Cabin. It is not a true balcony, more like a sunroom that has a window that slides down about halfway from the ceiling. 

Your best choice other than Suites is a Sunset Veranda. They have true balconies and are located across the aft part of the ship. 

Here is is photo of the Sunset Verandas. The far left and right cabins are S1 Suites. The others are SV’s. 

image.jpeg.eb927eee0b2e03b1b107ff3b3d41e8af.jpeg

Edited by RICCruisers
Added Photo

3 hours ago, Flipflopsnfrozendrinks said:

I think we made a booking error.  We want to have a true balcony to sit outside on.  We are currently booked on the Edge for November in concierge class.  We booked through Expedia, and the description said "private balcony".  Will I have a place to sit in the sun, or will I be sitting in my stateroom with essentially a big window?  I will change my booking if I need to in order to get a true balcony.

Thanks!

Kim

Sadly the description was misleading. You will have a stateroom with a window that opens.

They wanted an innovation.  They wanted to be unique.  They let people who had never been on a cruise make decisions. 

To me, it was a billion dollar blunder.   I am aware that some people like the infinite verandahs, and I am sure some of them will chime in.

• Like 2

E class to me, is a very positive step forward, after having been on the EDGE and with 2 upcoming on APEX in 2022, I will not look back.  Had a cruise booked on refurbished SUMMIT for early this year, but obviously did not sail.  I sailed SUMMIT prior to her improvements, while I really enjoyed the ship, was equally looking forward to seeing the refurb.  I will now only sail on E class a refurbed.  

52 minutes ago, Flipflopsnfrozendrinks said:

I don't understand the logic in eliminating the real balconies.  Did Celebrity give a reason why?  It seems like balcony cabins always sell out.  I may be way off base, as I don't work in the industry.  I just know that I will not sail without my own balcony to go out and sit on.

It was all for money savings and NOT cruiser experience.  It saves them on fuel costs.

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It was all for money savings and NOT cruiser experience.  It saves them on fuel costs.

I have never found anything to support the concept that the balcony would effect fuel efficiency.  If fuel savings was so important, why hang the Magic Carpet off the side of the ship?

The ship is designed to maximize fuel efficiency with her "parabolic ultrabow", a bow vertically rising towards its decks that provides additional sheathing for the bulbous bow and also houses the propellers to reduce drag.

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Pretty sure it does - the turbulences on the ship sides must be massive on traditional balconies (dividers).

Just open an IV window when the ship moves...

Is there any deeper analysis how much that will save?

We very much enjoyed the Infinity Verandas on Edge and like the traditional balconies on S class, too

Edited by Yoshikitty

5 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Pretty sure it does - the turbulences on the ship sides must be massive on traditional balconies (dividers).

Just open an IV window when the ship moves...

Is there any deeper analysis how much that will save?

We very much enjoyed the Infinity Verandas on Edge and like the traditional balconies on S class, too

Take the bridge tour on E class and they will tell you.  I forgot the number.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, NMTraveller said:

I'll believe that the IV balconies result in substantial fuel savings when the shipyards start designing them on ships for other cruise lines.