Working on it

Redtravel

On Jan. 26, 2021 there is a required covid test with negative result within 72 hours mandated prior to boarding any international flight going to the USA.  That includes everyone including US citizens. I understand it is for safety.  In January I contacted Oceania asking if they would be doing onboard testing just be disembarking.  I booked O life with air.  I got a response that they were looking into it. Have not heard anything.  Two weeks ago, I asked my travel agent the same question.  Still working on it.  Not sure if anyone at Oceania is really aware or cares about this requirement. Need answers if anyone plans to cruise while the testing is required.  Alternately, maybe Oceania has no plan because they have no plan to resume sailing?  I am perplexed.  Will be calling my travel agent this week. No answers means no cruise for me.  

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe they aren't ready to announce the plan because by the time the first ship sails the requirements will have changed another six times.  This is all a work in progress.

+1

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe they aren't ready to announce the plan because by the time the first ship sails the requirements will have changed another six times.  This is all a work in progress.

I wouldn’t count on the government changing the rule, think about how many rules have been relaxed by TSA on the last 20 years.  Very few.  The cruise industry must step up or sink.

• Like 1

The CDC is already talking about new changes in protocols for those that have been vaccinated. Currently sounds as if O is canceling everything through August ( probably October) . The cruise lines aren’t going to spend money they don’t have, to address a situation in flux and will probably change.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The CDC is already talking about new changes in protocols for those that have been vaccinated. Currently sounds as if O is canceling everything through August ( probably October) . 

Have you heard something or is that just a guess?

3 hours ago, shank63 said:

I wouldn’t count on the government changing the rule, think about how many rules have been relaxed by TSA on the last 20 years.  Very few.  The cruise industry must step up or sink.

I wasn't thinking about the US government, but about all the different governments that cruise lines will have to deal with.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Just looking at the cruises for which they have instituted Step 1, being reducing the final payment date to 60 days.

You might be right. We're booked on our first Oceania cruise in October and I wish I knew if I could get  excited or not. Knowing if we can book airfare would be nice too. How far in advance have they been cancelling the cruises?

On 3/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, Redtravel said:

On Jan. 26, 2021 there is a required covid test with negative result within 72 hours mandated prior to boarding any international flight going to the USA.  That includes everyone including US citizens. I understand it is for safety.  In January I contacted Oceania asking if they would be doing onboard testing just be disembarking.  I booked O life with air.  I got a response that they were looking into it. Have not heard anything.  Two weeks ago, I asked my travel agent the same question.  Still working on it.  Not sure if anyone at Oceania is really aware or cares about this requirement. Need answers if anyone plans to cruise while the testing is required.  Alternately, maybe Oceania has no plan because they have no plan to resume sailing?  I am perplexed.  Will be calling my travel agent this week. No answers means no cruise for me.  

They are aware and they care..just looking in to it..if you cant accept an honest answer I suggest you cancel and wait until a decision has been made..

Jamcruz1

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The CDC is already talking about new changes in protocols for those that have been vaccinated. Currently sounds as if O is canceling everything through August ( probably October) . The cruise lines aren’t going to spend money they don’t have, to address a situation in flux and will probably change.

That has not been decided so Im not sure where you heard that..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Jan;

Step1: move final payment to 60 days.

Step2: waitlist all ( or nearly all) categories.

Step 3: Cancellation

For cruises up through August, Steps 1 & 2 are done.

For September and October only Step 1.

Most of are at a point now when we see Step 1, we know Step 3 is coming.

Oceania hasn’t “ cancelled “ Alaskan cruises in June or July. Are we supposed to believe they’re not going to sail because it’s not official yet?

Edited by pinotlover
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Jan;

Step1: move final payment to 60 days.

Step2: waitlist all ( or nearly all) categories.

Step 3: Cancellation

For cruises up through August, Steps 1 & 2 are done.

For September and October only Step 1.

Most of are at a point now when we see Step 1, we know Step 3 is coming.

Oceania hasn’t “ cancelled “ Alaskan cruises in June or July. Are we supposed to believe they’re not going to sail because it’s not official yet?

Step 2 definitely has not happened yet!

Basor,

Two of our O cruises DID have final payment moved to 60 days. One was a May cruise to Alaska which obviously has been cancelled. The other is within a year and final payment remains at 60 days. 

7 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Actually I was talking about the CDC changing protocols..They are as I understand it extremely difficult to work with..I do agree that O probably wont go to Alaska this year..BUT that is just my opinion I have not asked anyone..

Jacruz1

6 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Actually I was talking about the CDC changing protocols..They are as I understand it extremely difficult to work with..I do agree that O probably wont go to Alaska this year..BUT that is just my opinion I have not asked anyone..

Jacruz1

Jan;

Sorry, we were probably talking past on another. The CDC hasn’t announced any changes concerning cruising, and I doubt they will in 2021.

My comment was concerning certain protocols when flying or arriving from foreign countries. The CDC was coming under fire for not altering any protocols for those vaccinated versus those not. No carrot or stick for being vaccinated. The CDC admitted they would have to readdress the issues and put out new rulings addressing those issues. We’ll see how fast they move.

5 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Just checked, they are still booking cruises from June forward.  June cruises show most categories waitlist, but there are still some open.  Not feeling that anything will sail soon with Americans on it.

They did the same before, leave maybe one or two categories open. When people inquired about actually booking one of those cabins, they were rejected. 

We’ll see what happens. I still believe that Step 1 pretty well tells you Step 3 is coming.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My comment was concerning certain protocols when flying or arriving from foreign countries. The CDC was coming under fire for not altering any protocols for those vaccinated versus those not. No carrot or stick for being vaccinated. The CDC admitted they would have to readdress the issues and put out new rulings addressing those issues. We’ll see how fast they move.

They CDC has now released some new guidelines for those who are vaccinated.

Source: CNN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

They CDC has now released some new guidelines for those who are vaccinated.

Source: CNN

The new guidelines auger well for cruise lines to insist on vaccinated passengers and crew. Per CDC, no mask or social distancing if everyone in a small group is vaccinated . As time goes, the small group could be logically expanded to include all passengers and crew. More CDC guidance needs to come.

What size group is now acceptable?

16 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

More CDC guidance needs to come.

Yes.

The CDC has said, as more people become vaccinated guidelines will change.

This announcement is only the first step.

I think most countries are tackling this.

It is relatively easy to implement bans & restrictions, coming out from these is a more difficult task.  

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

It is relatively easy to implement bans & restrictions, coming out from these is a more difficult task.  

I REALLY agree with this. There are a whole lot of countries that are going to have to act and I'm betting it ain't happening any time soon. Especially regarding letting US pax in. We're not held in very high esteem these days.

11 hours ago, clo said:

I REALLY agree with this. There are a whole lot of countries that are going to have to act and I'm betting it ain't happening any time soon. Especially regarding letting US pax in. We're not held in very high esteem these days.

I don't agree.  While Brazil may not care if and when Americans ever come back, there are a whole lotta European countries that are missing us greatly - and their Governments are highly motivated to see us return. 

We spend more per capita than almost all other countries when we travel abroad.  As one Italian restaurateur put it recently "Do I miss the Americans?  I would go myself and pick them up if I could."

• Like 8