Getting off Ship in Ports When Cruises Start

rabin1

Since we are only supposedly going to be able to purchase excursions when sailings begins from the cruise line do you think we will be able to get off the ship to wander around the ports? If so what is going to stop people from taking taxis to different places?

Any ideas please? 

PLEASE only about what I ask try and not get off topic pretty please.

Thanks in advance

Kathy

2 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Since we are only supposedly going to be able to purchase excursions when sailings begins from the cruise line do you think we will be able to get off the ship to wander around the ports?

No, because as you have already stated, they will only let people off who are taking ship's excursions.

I don't know how walking around freely in port can be considered an excursion.

• Like 1

I doubt there will be any wandering around allowed. Certainly in the beginning when cruising starts again. Personally I would love to be allowed to get off the ship and do a little shopping, find a nice beach or visit a cathedral or museum but it is what it is. 

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I am thinking about booking a mediterranean cruise this summer but don’t know if i could even get a flight to europe let alone get off at the cruise ports. Where does it explain you can only disembark with cruise sponsored excursions?

As I understood it when it was introduced, you could only leave the ship

with a ticket for a shore excursion that was purchased through the ship.

You would be in a "protective bubble" because the ship would have

deemed safe the particular places you would visit and stay together.

There would be no wandering off by yourself And there would be no

disembarking without being on the ship's excursion.

It was possible that the cruise line would vet private companies for the passengers.

I think when more are vaccinated and some time has past that this policy will

go away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

Since we are only supposedly going to be able to purchase excursions when sailings begins from the cruise line do you think we will be able to get off the ship to wander around the ports? If so what is going to stop people from taking taxis to different places?

Any ideas please? 

PLEASE only about what I ask try and not get off topic pretty please.

Thanks in advance

Kathy

I image it will be like when MSC started back in August and they denied boarding to a family who left a ship tour (but I also agree with nini that this will eventually change):

"On August 16, MSC Cruises became the first major cruise line to restart sailing in the Mediterranean since March, when the COVID-19 pandemic’s spread halted cruising operations the world over.

Just a few days into their itinerary, a family aboard that first sailing of the carrier’s flagship MSC Grandiosa have reportedly been kicked off the cruise in the middle of a seven-night voyage out of Genoa, which stops at several Italian ports before concluding in Valletta, Malta.

The unnamed guests were apparently on a ship-sponsored shore excursion yesterday when they decided to go off on their own to explore the city, separating from the group. This was the error in judgment that caused the remainder of their voyage with MSC to be forfeited.

Among the myriad of COVID-19 precautionary measures that the cruise line has implemented in order to safely begin sailing again is a rule against guests disembarking at ports unless they’re participating in a guided, MSC-organized shore excursion and remain with the group at all times.

“In line with our health and safety protocol, developed to ensure health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and the communities we visit, we had to deny re-embarkation to a family who broke from their shore excursion yesterday,” MSC Cruises told The Points Guy. “By departing from the organized shore excursion, this family broke from the “social bubble” created for them and all other guests, and therefore could not be permitted to re-board the ship.”

The cruise line’s policy on this point is intended to limit and monitor the types of interactions that guests might have with locals while visiting port towns and avoid having passengers bring the virus back on board after their tour. Once a passenger strays out of the protective “bubble”, the cruise line reasons, there’s no knowing whether they’ve come into contact with someone infected with the coronavirus.

The principle also operates in reverse, protecting residents of those towns from any risk of passengers who might be carrying COVID-19 (although, all guests have been tested prior to embarkation).

MSC Cruises also noted that its present excursions are designed for social distancing and that the tour buses it uses are thoroughly sanitized, with drivers and local guides required to undergo health screenings and don personal protective gear.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/family-kicked-off-cruise-ship-for-breaking-new-health-protocols.html

• Like 1

Nobody really knows what will happen when cruises open up again. I would bet by fall when most everyone is vaccinated that North American cruises at least will not have any such mandate. The only cruises I have booked through August 2022 are coastal, Hawaii and Alaska

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Answer at this point is no one knows until cruises start up again.  Can they limit people getting off the ship to those with tickets for their excursions, will they?  Right now, there isn't an answer.

It certainly does seem to be the norm for those few cruises that have run since the outbreak begain in Europe and Asia.

34 minutes ago, memoak said:

Nobody really knows what will happen when cruises open up again. I would bet by fall when most everyone is vaccinated that North American cruises at least will not have any such mandate. The only cruises I have booked through August 2022 are coastal, Hawaii and Alaska

Keep in mind that when the cruise lines start back up they are going to be extremely cautious.  They will only relax matters when it has been proven to their satisfaction that they can.  They are not going to be in a hurry to relax everything, because one mistake could negatively impact them a great deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I image it will be like when MSC started back in August and they denied boarding to a family who left a ship tour (but I also agree with nini that this will eventually change):

"On August 16, MSC Cruises became the first major cruise line to restart sailing in the Mediterranean since March, when the COVID-19 pandemic’s spread halted cruising operations the world over.

Just a few days into their itinerary, a family aboard that first sailing of the carrier’s flagship MSC Grandiosa have reportedly been kicked off the cruise in the middle of a seven-night voyage out of Genoa, which stops at several Italian ports before concluding in Valletta, Malta.

The unnamed guests were apparently on a ship-sponsored shore excursion yesterday when they decided to go off on their own to explore the city, separating from the group. This was the error in judgment that caused the remainder of their voyage with MSC to be forfeited.

Among the myriad of COVID-19 precautionary measures that the cruise line has implemented in order to safely begin sailing again is a rule against guests disembarking at ports unless they’re participating in a guided, MSC-organized shore excursion and remain with the group at all times.

“In line with our health and safety protocol, developed to ensure health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and the communities we visit, we had to deny re-embarkation to a family who broke from their shore excursion yesterday,” MSC Cruises told The Points Guy. “By departing from the organized shore excursion, this family broke from the “social bubble” created for them and all other guests, and therefore could not be permitted to re-board the ship.”

The cruise line’s policy on this point is intended to limit and monitor the types of interactions that guests might have with locals while visiting port towns and avoid having passengers bring the virus back on board after their tour. Once a passenger strays out of the protective “bubble”, the cruise line reasons, there’s no knowing whether they’ve come into contact with someone infected with the coronavirus.

The principle also operates in reverse, protecting residents of those towns from any risk of passengers who might be carrying COVID-19 (although, all guests have been tested prior to embarkation).

MSC Cruises also noted that its present excursions are designed for social distancing and that the tour buses it uses are thoroughly sanitized, with drivers and local guides required to undergo health screenings and don personal protective gear.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/family-kicked-off-cruise-ship-for-breaking-new-health-protocols.html

Sea Hunt-Is that a Papillon pup?

3 hours ago, passthetorch said:

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I am thinking about booking a mediterranean cruise this summer but don’t know if i could even get a flight to europe let alone get off at the cruise ports. Where does it explain you can only disembark with cruise sponsored excursions?

You really , really don't want to book a cruise in the Med this summer.  Do you not read the news?

• Like 1

KIWIMUM - thank you so much for posting Princess Mar 4 covid notice. this is a game changer for us. we are booked on 97 world cruise Jan 2022. if these rules apply then, the cruise would not be worthwhile and not enjoyable for us. we do our own shore ex. we just paid our second deposit but will probably cancel. we may hang in until August.  again, thank you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nocl said:

Keep in mind that when the cruise lines start back up they are going to be extremely cautious.  They will only relax matters when it has been proven to their satisfaction that they can.  They are not going to be in a hurry to relax everything, because one mistake could negatively impact them a great deal.

Totally.  They want to resume, want the revenue, but even more they want a stable business without more interruptions 

LuckyTGo--it's doubtful, at least in the first few months, that the crew will be able to leave the ship unless they also have small group excursions planned for them (maybe to go shopping for necessities and snacks). I am concerned that in Princess's announcement there was no mention of at least requesting that passengers receive the COVID vaccine when available. Isn't that supposed to be the solution to ending this pandemic? We are booked on a Mississippi River cruise in August and they are requiring proof of vaccination for all passengers and crew as of July 1, 2021. We were fortunate to get the vaccine in early January so have had both doses now and encourage friends and family to get it as soon as they are eligible. 

Guys

When I posted this I asked you to please stay on topic. Now we are on to vaccines, dogs, and if the crew will be able to leave the ship. None of these has to do with my post.

FYI the reason I ask this in any post I start is this. I am very busy and when I get a notice about a thread has a post I started and go to the post to read about my question and it is about anything but what I asked I whig because I have just wasted my time for absolutely no reason. Although I like CC and learn a lot about a lot from you this is something I don;t think I will ever understand changing a persons thread topic and I am not just talking about mine

Kathy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I am concerned that in Princess's announcement there was no mention of at least requesting that passengers receive the COVID vaccine when available. Isn't that supposed to be the solution to ending this pandemic?

Princess has yet to announce a policy on vaccinations for either passengers or crew.

If our July Mediterranean cruise is happening regardless of the restrictions I will be on it. We will book the ship excursions too, and I'm happy to accept we will not perhaps be allowed to wander off by ourselves.

I haven't stopped working since last March apart from one week in August and mentally I'm spent. A holiday in the UK wont do it for me either. I have to get away completely from any work interruptions/temptations.

If the cruise is cancelled (likely) I will just try for the next Enchanted Princess opportunity in the Med'.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Guys

When I posted this I asked you to please stay on topic. Now we are on to vaccines, dogs, and if the crew will be able to leave the ship. None of these has to do with my post.

FYI the reason I ask this in any post I start is this. I am very busy and when I get a notice about a thread has a post I started and go to the post to read about my question and it is about anything but what I asked I whig because I have just wasted my time for absolutely no reason. Although I like CC and learn a lot about a lot from you this is something I don;t think I will ever understand changing a persons thread topic and I am not just talking about mine

Kathy

In previous threads about this topic, there has been quite a clear opinion that it will be either ships excursions or nothing. There has been talk of being able to wander in some ports but only as part of a group which you would not be able to leave.

It looks like cruises will not start until late 2021 and probably by early(ish) 2022 the vaccine will be wide spread and restrictions such as this will be gone. So I will just wait the extra few months.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Esprit said:

If our July Mediterranean cruise is happening regardless of the restrictions I will be on it. We will book the ship excursions too, and I'm happy to accept we will not perhaps be allowed to wander off by ourselves.

I haven't stopped working since last March apart from one week in August and mentally I'm spent. A holiday in the UK wont do it for me either. I have to get away completely from any work interruptions/temptations.

If the cruise is cancelled (likely) I will just try for the next Enchanted Princess opportunity in the Med'.

I love your positive attitude. We have cancelled so many cruises and holidays that its easy to become gloomy - need to take a leaf out of your book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1