This is great news: "Carnival is crewing up its cruise fleet"

Lee Cruiser

Well, I would say it is more of a "wish list" by Carnival, since the CDC has not issued the "technical instructions" regarding the service contract the lines need to make with the ports, and the local health, transportation, and accommodation industries to take possible patients or quarantine patients.  Then, once those agreements are in place, the "technical instructions" for the actual "simulated cruises" would need to be issued, and then the simulated cruises need to happen, and then the results of these simulated cruises would need to be reviewed by CDC, and then a Conditional Sailing Certificate issued.  Do I think this will happen by the beginning of June (90 days from now)?  Not really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, I would say it is more of a "wish list" by Carnival, since the CDC has not issued the "technical instructions" regarding the service contract the lines need to make with the ports, and the local health, transportation, and accommodation industries to take possible patients or quarantine patients.  Then, once those agreements are in place, the "technical instructions" for the actual "simulated cruises" would need to be issued, and then the simulated cruises need to happen, and then the results of these simulated cruises would need to be reviewed by CDC, and then a Conditional Sailing Certificate issued.  Do I think this will happen by the beginning of June (90 days from now)?  Not really.

yepp   bu now most of the crew would have been contacted by now... 

Given the amazing progress with the vaccine rollout, 2.9 million jabs on Saturday, we will be at herd immunity long before it was thought possible.  The CDC should be looking now at revising the conditional sail guidelines. Of course, should the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declare that COVID-19 is no longer a public health emergency, the guidelines disappear.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Given the amazing progress with the vaccine rollout, 2.9 million jabs on Saturday, we will be at herd immunity long before it was thought possible.  The CDC should be looking now at revising the conditional sail guidelines. Of course, should the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declare that COVID-19 is no longer a public health emergency, the guidelines disappear.

Not sure we're on course to reach herd immunity anytime soon thanks to a core group of head-in-sand people. You know, the ones who never give much thought as to the consequences of their actions or inactions on others.

Tom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

😴😴 wake me when they decide something over there..... Not sure how "Technical" these "Technical instructions" are but they sure seem to be taking a long time to come up with them.  Just sayin.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Not sure we're on course to reach herd immunity anytime soon thanks to a core group of head-in-sand people. You know, the ones who never give much thought as to the consequences of their actions or inactions on others.

Tom

The good news is not everyone needs to get immunized - just enough with effective vaccine. Darwin can weed out the rest. But resistance to getting the vaccine is decreasing and supplies and locations are increasing.

• Like 1

I am confident in saying that just because the “public” has not seen anything CDC related such as technical instructions, etc that the machine isn’t working behind the scenes. Does anyone really believe the cruise lines find out via the CDC website while they sit and looking at it for hours on end? No. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I am confident in saying that just because the “public” has not seen anything CDC related such as technical instructions, etc that the machine isn’t working behind the scenes. Does anyone really believe the cruise lines find out via the CDC website while they sit and looking at it for hours on end? No. 

Last year I might have said yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Is there some fine print in that article where it mentions "crewing up" that im missing?  All i see are proposed estimated start dates.

The link has changed to another article.  The original one has apparently disappeared.

6 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

This says it all.

• Like 1

Disney Cruise Line is looking to *hopefully* return to sailing by Fall, and even that is on a "limited" basis... and they only have 4 ships to worry about. Why people still think Carnival will somehow be cruising by June 1 is beyond me.

At their shareholder meeting yesterday, Bob Chapek said: 

"We are anticipating that with some luck and the increase in the number of vaccinations out there and the encouraging that we are seeing that maybe by this fall we might be able to have some limited operations of our cruise ships, but that’s all going to depend on the incidence of the virus and the vaccination of the general public. So, we look forward though when we do open up to using the very same disciplined guidelines we’ve used in our parks to safely reopen and use those same guidelines on the Disney Cruise Line."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazy4themouse said:

Disney Cruise Line is looking to *hopefully* return to sailing by Fall, and even that is on a "limited" basis... and they only have 4 ships to worry about. Why people still think Carnival will somehow be cruising by June 1 is beyond me.

At their shareholder meeting yesterday, Bob Chapek said: 

"We are anticipating that with some luck and the increase in the number of vaccinations out there and the encouraging that we are seeing that maybe by this fall we might be able to have some limited operations of our cruise ships, but that’s all going to depend on the incidence of the virus and the vaccination of the general public. So, we look forward though when we do open up to using the very same disciplined guidelines we’ve used in our parks to safely reopen and use those same guidelines on the Disney Cruise Line."

Why would their ships be different from their parks? Or maybe they get more revenue from non-cruise sources and are focusing on them? Spring break is coming.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Why would their ships be different from their parks? Or maybe they get more revenue from non-cruise sources and are focusing on them? Spring break is coming.

Because at the parks you aren't there for 7 days straight with 3000 other people in a space the size of a large hotel.

If someone gets COVID-19 symptoms four days after their one-day park visit, there is no causal relationship that can be proven.

If a few folks get COVID-19 symptoms five days into a cruise, the ship gets denied ports of call, everyone gets quarantined, and lawsuits fly around like a game of Quidditch.  Look at the lawsuit against Disney that just launched this week for COVID-19 cases that occurred after one of the cruises last March.

20 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Because at the parks you aren't there for 7 days straight with 3000 other people in a space the size of a large hotel.

If someone gets COVID-19 symptoms four days after their one-day park visit, there is no causal relationship that can be proven.

If a few folks get COVID-19 symptoms five days into a cruise, the ship gets denied ports of call, everyone gets quarantined, and lawsuits fly around like a game of Quidditch.  Look at the lawsuit against Disney that just launched this week for COVID-19 cases that occurred after one of the cruises last March.

How long do you have to be in contact with a spreader? Not long. Churches to garden parties have been spreader events.

Cell phone data is how they connect dots on land along with identifying specific strains of the virus.