The Daily for Friday Mar 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is Certified Nurses Day, Let's Laugh Day, and National Backyard Day

"To live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often. - John Henry Newman"

Meal suggestion for today - Pork Chops with Tomato-Bacon Topping

Drink of the Day - Hot Toddy

Wine of the day - Gonzilez Byass NV Nectar Dulce Pedro Ximanez (Jerez) Andalucia

Port of the Day - Livorno (Florence/Pisa) Italy

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam Destination Port Everglades eta today
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 3/26

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/20

Brest FR
Eurodam Dry Dock

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0319World.thumb.png.a9be585faa5cd1055e70c06b78ab342d.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the last Daily of Winter, Rich.  A great selection of days with a special salute to Nurses.  I like the quote and the meal sounds very nice.  My alternative is Celebration of Fruit Cocktail, Breaded Pork Chop A La Milanese, and Strawberry Sundae (pretty close to yours) as served on MS Prinsendam March 19, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes19.jpg

I have not been to Livorno although I was supposed to have been there later this year on (gasp) Carnival.

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL hospitalized and declining

durangoscot’s shelter

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Promising report from Mary229's brother’s heart surgery

Jab appointment for Lady Hudson

lindaler’s wonderful kid coming home for chores

Cruising-along reunion with sister

Nieuw Statendam in Everglades Sunday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Nieuw Statendam should be visible on the FLL Beach webcam later today:

https://www.fllbeachcam.com/

She is not scheduled to go into port until Sunday but ships have frequently docked far ahead of schedule so keeping an eye on the port schedule would be worthwhile.

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Happy Friday!

Love the Daily Report, thanks.

A round of applause for nurses!   I hope everyone has something to laugh at today.   Now that the snow has melted from our backyard, I am making plans for it.

We were in Florence on a HAL cruise in September 2016.  We toured the Galileo museum, the Uffizi and explored the town.  Great day.

Thanks for the meal suggestions, but we're doing take out schnitzel dinners tonight. 🙂

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.  

I am happy to report that the first load of clothes went through the new washer yesterday and all is well.  They went into the dryer and came out dry without having to add more time.  When something works properly it really points out what you were living with.  

Yesterday was spent doing a lot of administrative chores for the non profit I work for.  I am getting ready to hand over the leadership of the group to someone else.  I think fresh leadership is good now and then.  

Let's cheer for the nurses!   And, to help them along, laughter is the best medicine, so let's look at the lighter side of things and see if we can find the humor.  It makes life easier in so many ways.  

Today's meal sounds good.  I wonder how it would be without the brown sugar.  I try to avoid sugar as much as I can.  That is my one complaint about ship food.  Everything seems to be sweet.  I really prefer savory.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-tomato-bacon-topping/

Pork Chops with tomato bacon topping.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

When something works properly it really points out what you were living with.  

Isn't life grand!

Thank you for the updates.  Prayers for those in dire straits, I want to add thanks to all of those currently onboard our Dam ships keeping them humming.  

I have not been to Florence by cruise, I will do that next summer.  I did spend some idyllic days of youth while in university summer school. Then you could walk right into the museums and exhibits with no lines. 

I will skip pork chops and head straight to the Strawberry sundae that @rafinmd recommends.

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

A big cheer for all of our nurses - they are working so very hard during this pandemic 😢. We can all use a good laugh.  My backyard is still ice so sadly, I can’t celebrate it.

Love the quote.  The meal sounds interesting but no pork chops on hand.  Both of us were very achey yesterday so we ended up having soup (Mexican tortilla chicken for DH and home made asparagus for moi).  I have a head of cabbage I have to use since I couldn’t get corned beef so if I am up to it, we’ll have my cabbage sausage skillet.

I would have loved to have slept in this morning but the dogs wouldn’t hear of it 😉 They aren’t as nice as this person’s boss:

25507CDD-024B-4A38-A730-A2F86EA85F33.jpeg.679614380cbc285ddb125839f5ca4229.jpeg

A Hot Toddy goes perfectly with today - windy, freezing cold & stormy.

We have been to Livorno several times and like many, been to Florence & Pisa.  One of my favourite spots though is Lucca.  Love the history and sights in that city.  I think I may have some pics on my laptop.  I’ll take a look and if I do and no one else has shared, I’ll post some later.

The cat’s response to my dog meme yesterday:

912BDDEE-64E0-4AD1-B8EE-4BB23765D375.thumb.jpeg.42fe9bb232e2d5fc76d67a554d20db5c.jpeg

Whether you like cats or dogs (or both) I think this quote is ever so true:

60BC1547-F96B-4F7F-80CE-7409DDD44D9C.jpeg.b7c71f1254e20aa9ccb01d5faa8c5a25.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them & a 🥂 to all of those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Nieuw Statendam should be visible on the FLL Beach webcam later today:

https://www.fllbeachcam.com/

She is not scheduled to go into port until Sunday but ships have frequently docked far ahead of schedule so keeping an eye on the port schedule would be worthwhile.

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

Roy

Roy:  Thanks for the link.

• Like 5

Good morning Rich and all DAILITES.  Today is St. Joseph's Day.  It is a Solemnity in The Catholic Church, a much higher feast than St. Patrick's day in the universal Church..  I am glad to see the Nieuw Statendam heading to Port Everglades.  Nice to see a ship in Drydock.  It affords some hope!  I hope all readers and posters have a great day.   Roy thsanks for the care list!

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, Himself said:

Good morning Rich and all DAILITES.  Today is St. Joseph's Day.  It is a Solemnity in The Catholic Church, a much higher feast than St. Patrick's day in the universal Church..  I am glad to see the Nieuw Statendam heading to Port Everglades.  Nice to see a ship in Drydock.  It affords some hope!  I hope all readers and posters have a great day.   Roy thsanks for the care list!

Oh thank you for the reminder of St. Joseph’s Day, Father. 👍 

DH is named for that Saint.

• Like 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Cheers & Thank You to all the certified nurses of the world!  I came to the right place for Let’s Laugh Day! I celebrated backyard day a bit early, though I may get out there again today.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, hope your backyard masterpiece is moving along. I empathize about the dust! But the years of enjoyment are worth it!

Not sure about the quote. I do not believe in perfection. I think striving for improvement & and enjoying achievements are more important than perfection. 

The meal sounds delicious, Debbie! I might experiment a bit, and try two chops without sugar, and the others splitting a tablespoon between them. I usually do not like sweet main courses. I would think the bacon and tomato topping alone would be great. But perhaps I am missing the role the sugar plays in the dish.

This might be the last weekend I can have the drink du jour here until next Fall. A bit of a cool snap, and then back to normal. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Just reading the reviews below could make one hungry. There are a couple off-putting comments, such as  “oily” & “chewy”, but if you enjoy sherry, this might be a good one to try.  I found it for as low as $23.58 online, so you might even find it for less locally.  I wonder if one orders a glass by the full name, or if they have a nickname for it? Its name is quite the mouthful. 

Winemaker Notes

#67 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Nectar is a young PX showing rich aromas of fresh fruit such as raisins and hints of honey, syrup and fruit preserve. On the palate it is velvety and smooth with good acidity with alleviates the sweetness. Perfect with desserts such as vanilla ice cream, black chocolate and cheesecake.

D95 Decanter

Elegant and inviting, with layers of dark bitter chocolate, burnt orange and barley sugar leading on to a lush, rich palate of toffee, caramel and espresso.

WS93 Wine Spectator

Thick and oily in feel, with buckwheat honey, toasted sesame, prune and date flavors forming the core. A Christmas pudding note pervades the exotic finish. Drink now.

WE93

Wine Enthusiast

A smooth nose deals typical P.X. aromas of chocolate, fig and raisin. On the palate, this is thick and a touch chewy but that's not abnormal for this type of wine. Rich flavors of café mocha and chocolate finish long, sweet and satisfying

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22

Good morning everyone.   A huge shoutout to all our nurses.  They have been the lifeline for so many these past 12 months.  Jacqui gives us something to laugh about each day. I'll post a picture of my backyard later.  The meal sounds wonderful but I'm not fond of cooked tomato slices.  Never been to Italy, someday maybe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists and everyone.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hot Toddy:

Instructions. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.09.50 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning everyone.   A huge shoutout to all our nurses.  They have been the lifeline for so many these past 12 months.  Jacqui gives us something to laugh about each day. I'll post a picture of my backyard later.  The meal sounds wonderful but I'm not fond of cooked tomato slices.  Never been to Italy, someday maybe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists and everyone.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hot Toddy:

Instructions. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.09.50 AM.png

🤔 Hmmm, I love that the recipe does not limit the amount of whiskey to be added!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Good  morning to  all. I  salute  all  of  the  days but  will  wait until  it  is  a  little  warmer to  venture  to  our  backyard. The  recipe  looks  quite  good  and  will  be  made  another  day.I  have  leftover  Irish stew  to  finish. My  best  friend  introduced  me  to  Saint  Joseph  cakes  years  ago  and  we  plan  to  share  one  tomorrow  on  her  porch. They are  a  wonderful  concoction!

We  have  been  to  Livorno,years  ago  on  the  Eurodam. DH  was  not feeling  well  so  I  went  on  my  own  to Portofino . It  was  a  gorgeous day  and  I  climbed  a  trail up  the  mountain  that  rewarded  me  with  a  great  view. I  will  look  for  pictures.

I  am  very  fortunate  in  that DH  and  I  have  kept  each  other  laughing  for  35  years. I  can usually  count  on  one  or  two  good  laughs  a  day.         Terry

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Looking forward to seeing a blue hulled beauty in PEV. 
      I think dinner tonight will be takeout pot roast from Sweet Street cafe.

I need to get in my backyard and start cleaning up the winter debris.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily!

BIG shoutout to the nurses❤️

I should be seeing my backyard next week as the forecast is warm and sunny.

Hubby has appointment next week for his first jab!!  I should be in the next group, 60 to 65.  Things are looking up.

Jo

• Like 20

Just caught up on this week's Daily. I missed quite a lot, including the anniversary! I really want to express my appreciation to all who participate and especially to those of you who take a special part each day: Rich, for starting it, with the quote, port, locations, etc of the day. Roy for his sunrises and care and celebration lists.   Cat Shepard for the wines,  SummerSlope for the drink of the day,  @dfish for the recipes, and @kazufor the laughs.

Also Copper 10-8, I have a few of those Volendam pictures by the same fireplace.

Thank you all for making this such a treat every day.

• Like 21