How bad is the hawking on Carnival

Mary229

Hi everyone and thanks for any help or comments.  I sailed Carnival quite a few times years ago when I lived on the Gulf Coast.  We have also sailed the old NCL, Princess and now Holland America.  There are quite a few longer Carnival cruises on the smaller ships I have been researching.  So how bad is the hawking and sales on the ship. The last time we sailed Princess you couldn't walk anywhere on the ship without being accosted by some crew member selling something.  it drove us a little batty.  Again, we only sail itineraries over 10 days and I know that can make a difference.  So what is your experience.  We would love to get back on a Carnival ship!  Thank you

I can honestly say I’ve never been bothered by hawking as you call it. I’ve been on 32 cruises. On embarkation day there are generally people from the spa stationed around for your convenience to book, usually someone from the steakhouse too, and of course the drinks person. In the evenings there’s generally a few stations here and there on promenade for the art sales/auctions, the Spa people, but that’s pretty much it except for the photographers every night.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bostwick girl said:

I can honestly say I’ve never been bothered by hawking as you call it.

Thank you.  First day is fine, I get that.  The DH has never been on Carnival and I think he might like a change of pace from Holland, though we still like their very long voyages.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Photographers are a real pain, even a blight

I have a little trick up my sleeve to get rid of them.  On HAL they are only stationed at the end of the gangway.  On Princess they were everywhere even interrupting dinner in the dining room.  

• Like 1

Just now, puppycanducruise said:

Can you share?  Sometimes those photographers can be a real pain.

I tell them I have religious and spiritual objections to being  photographed.  This only works on smaller ships (under 2000) where they can remember you.  The most I have had to say it is twice and never had a problem again - and I tend to take very long cruises.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I tell them I have religious and spiritual objections to being  photographed.  This only works on smaller ships (under 2000) where they can remember you.  The most I have had to say it is twice and never had a problem again - and I tend to take very long cruises.  

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Hi everyone and thanks for any help or comments.  I sailed Carnival quite a few times years ago when I lived on the Gulf Coast.  We have also sailed the old NCL, Princess and now Holland America.  There are quite a few longer Carnival cruises on the smaller ships I have been researching.  So how bad is the hawking and sales on the ship. The last time we sailed Princess you couldn't walk anywhere on the ship without being accosted by some crew member selling something.  it drove us a little batty.  Again, we only sail itineraries over 10 days and I know that can make a difference.  So what is your experience.  We would love to get back on a Carnival ship!  Thank you

Have been cruising since 2004 and have never been pressured to buy anything. The photographers will ask if you want your photo taken, just say no thank you and he/she will move on. The waiters who roamed the lido has been reduced that you very rarely notice them. Overall,  no one will ask you to stop for a sales pitch.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the only time I remember being pressured to get pictures taken was on our very first cruise as we were entering the terminal.  The one where they take your picture in front of the backdrop of the ship you're boarding.  (My wife was already cranky by this point and it really shows in the photo.  lol)  At this point we just say "No thanks" and walk on by.

The only time I really felt pressured was when we decided to take a look at the art gallery.  That guy was on us like a dog on a steak.

• Like 2

For those who have never been pressured I just want to say, I have been cruising since 1988 and never had that experience until my last Princess Cruise in about 2017.   I understand the sale pressure when you attend a function or participate in a service.  I understand the gangway pictures as folks really do like those, I don't.   And I don't want my evening meals interrupted at all which I experienced almost every night on Princess.      I just don't want to even bother saying 'no thank you" when walking down a public hallway. I was with a group of about 60 family members, all different ages and lifestyles, and they all came away with the same complaint, so I know it wasn't me being peculiar.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have a little trick up my sleeve to get rid of them.  On HAL they are only stationed at the end of the gangway.  

They should be off to the side of the gangway and not holding people up who don't want to stop to have their photo taken. HAL is the worst for this, people primping, preening and posing without consideration to those behind them who want to begin their port day. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

They should be off to the side of the gangway and not holding people up who don't want to stop to have their photo taken. HAL is the worst for this, people primping, preening and posing without consideration to those behind them who want to begin their port day. 

You would think with digital cameras this all would go away!  They will even professionally print your digital photos yet people want that photo

No idea how many cruises I've done, always amazed people know and count them. I have 179 loyalty pts. 

I've never been bothered onboard by people hawking. If someone wants to take my picture I just keep on walking and maybe give a wave. Or says no thanks.

Jamaica, now that's where they hawk. Or Belize.

• Like 2

The sales pitches are no worse on Carnival than any other major cruise line.   To quote Nancy Reagan,  "just say no".   I think the daily announcements by the hyperventilating cruise directors are much more irritating than any sales pitches.  

• Like 7

So I guess I got my answer.  If you don't like the constant sales pitches Carnival may not be the cruise line for you.  Thanks guys.  We all have differences, that is what makes it all work, something for everyone.

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

So I guess I got my answer.  If you don't like the constant sales pitches Carnival may not be the cruise line for you.  Thanks guys.  We all have differences, that is what makes it all work, something for everyone.

Princess is worse than Carnival. Carnival Panorama doesn't have space rented to Park Worst Art Galleries so no more of those announcements or the ream's worth of flyers under the door of your cabin that auctions generate. The auction reminders on Cunard began to run around in our heads while sleeping. RCCL has plenty to sell on their ships and they don't hesitate to remind you on the main walkway which resembles the arcades of Coney Island with its games of chance and spin the wheel. Good luck.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

I don't know if any cruise line where the photographers aren't everywhere, or there aren't announcements to buy this, look at that, etc. 

I just avoid the sales areas during the sales, and a pleasant no thank you to the photographers works just fine.

• Like 1