Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

On 5/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, BrianI said:

How do you do that exactly? Do you have to do this before the cruises go on general sale?

Brian

Yes - and you are phoned in the order you are then on the list.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:11 PM, ann141 said:

Thank you.Do you have to have cruised with Saga previously to buy the pre registration? We want to try Saga but the deposit of 15% is putting us off and I don't want to book anything too soon for the beginning of next year in case Covid restrictions are still around.I don't mind having to book Princess excursions or only be able to eat with my hubby on our October cruise (I eat with him most days of the year!)but wouldn't want to do that on a longer or more expensive cruise.Add to that the fact I have had a few health problems in the past year, the fact my mother is terminally ill and I have a habit of changing my mind (We have changed our Seacation twice already!)so not keen on handing over a large sum. I have subscribed to Saga magazine so that I can get Saga Benefits and there seems to be a cruise offer each month.Also hoping that I can find/persuade someone to recommend me to get a further 10% off a cruise and I am sure we will end up booking a Saga cruise at some point. However the pre registration deposit sounds appealing and if it is available to people who haven't cruised with Saga previously we may take that option. 

I don't think so. Saga are also very good (at the moment anyway) if you want to swap to a different cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, Eddie99 said:

... and how, exactly, do you do it, please?

Is there a link?  Do you phone?

TIA

Phone the freephone number on their website and ask to purchase a pre-registration.

1 minute ago, Host Sharon said:

Phone the freephone number on their website and ask to purchase a pre-registration.

Sharon  - do you have any idea when Saga might release their summer 2023 cruises?

I know what I mean but when I try to write it down even I don't understand what the .... I'm trying to say!!!!😀

We like small ships but thought we would try Iona as the passenger numbers would be low for a seven dayer bobbing about in the Channel in  and on the French Coast in September.  

If things ease before September do you think that passenger numbers will be allowed to rise or will the ship still be less than half full?  We feel comfortable with 2000 but not sure about 5000.

15 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I know what I mean but when I try to write it down even I don't understand what the .... I'm trying to say!!!!😀

We like small ships but thought we would try Iona as the passenger numbers would be low for a seven dayer bobbing about in the Channel in  and on the French Coast in September.  

If things ease before September do you think that passenger numbers will be allowed to rise or will the ship still be less than half full?  We feel comfortable with 2000 but not sure about 5000.

The limit of 1000 passengers OR 50% whichever was smaller only applies until June 21. After that date i am not aware there is any limit to the number of passengers so on all of Iona sailings it will be up to P&O to set what they consider is reasonable. The only company i have seen publish a limit after 21st June is Saga at 80%

Edited by stephenSJ
added

Just now, MX-Drew said:

Sorry but I have to ask, is this P&O related?🤣

I like the irony here.

Not really but the heading is cruise related so I can't really move it to The Pub!  Happy to resume the conversation on the Saga board.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Not really but the heading is cruise related so I can't really move it to The Pub!  Happy to resume the conversation on the Saga board.

I think many people on here cruise, or plan to cruise with Saga, as well as P&O,  and therefore at times the thread does wonder away from P&O.  Well done to Sharon in letting it run. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think many people on here cruise, or plan to cruise with Saga, as well as P&O,  and therefore at times the thread does wonder away from P&O.  Well done to Sharon in letting it run. 

Many folk on here sail with P&O some others as well. I find it interesting that experienced cruisers are able to offer their opinions on a range of cruise lines. I have been with 6 different lines. Never Saga, or Princess, but have learnt some useful pointers for the future. Let's keep up this thread.😂

• Like 5

On 5/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, wowzz said:

Personally we have absolutely no interest in Saga and Fred Olsen preferring the big ships with Royal Caribbean being our preferred cruiseline but as a cruise lover I like hearing what the competition are doing.

Currently we have 3 Royal Caribbean and 2 P&O cruises booked.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Personally we have absolutely no interest in Saga and Fred Olsen preferring the big ships with Royal Caribbean being our preferred cruiseline but as a cruise lover I like hearing what the competition are doing.

Currently we have 3 Royal Caribbean and 2 P&O cruises booked.

Graham.

Shows how different we all are. The thought of going on a  RC cruise fills me with dread - I would rather stay at home!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Shows how different we all are. The thought of going on a  RC cruise fills me with dread - I would rather stay at home!

They can be very different.  I have done 3 and had the last one been the first, that would have been it for Royal Caribbean! The first 2 were one week Adriatic cruises out of Venice on small ships - no whistles, bells, climbing walls etc and I was very impressed; those cruises were delightful. 

Cruise number 3 was the Canaries, Navigator of the Seas out of Southampton and I have truly never experienced anything like it.  Let's just say there were large groups on board, hell bent on having a good time, making heavy use of drinks packages.  I am about to use some very lazy shorthand here to paint a picture and hope I won't be vilified too much when I say that men in vests, an ample supply of tattoos and piercings and colourful language were much in evidence.  I'm sure we were just very unlucky for I know that Graham and Pauline would not have thought such a cruise was to be recommended either!

• Like 2

Must admit I am not a fan of RCI either, but it is mainly because their ships are so big. I love being at sea and want to feel I am at sea, and I had no sensation of that whatsoever on Harmony or Anthem, not only due to their size, but the decor and activities seem to do everything they could to make guests think there were in a land resort - parks, trees, dodgems, shopping mall etc. Even the public rooms rarely have a view of the sea as they are nearly all inboard of the cabins. However, when it comes to evening entertainment and shows, RCI are outstanding. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

They can be very different.  I have done 3 and had the last one been the first, that would have been it for Royal Caribbean! The first 2 were one week Adriatic cruises out of Venice on small ships - no whistles, bells, climbing walls etc and I was very impressed; those cruises were delightful. 

Cruise number 3 was the Canaries, Navigator of the Seas out of Southampton and I have truly never experienced anything like it.  Let's just say there were large groups on board, hell bent on having a good time, making heavy use of drinks packages.  I am about to use some very lazy shorthand here to paint a picture and hope I won't be vilified too much when I say that men in vests, an ample supply of tattoos and piercings and colourful language were much in evidence.  I'm sure we were just very unlucky for I know that Graham and Pauline would not have thought such a cruise was to be recommended either!

I totally agree with you. Our one and only venture with RCI, was on Indy out of Southampton, and had the same experience as you. If that had been my first introduction into cruising, I would never have given cruising a second thought. The complete opposite to Arcadia.

Avril

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I totally agree with you. Our one and only venture with RCI, was on Indy out of Southampton, and had the same experience as you. If that had been my first introduction into cruising, I would never have given cruising a second thought. The complete opposite to Arcadia.

Avril

We have sailed 3 times out of Southampton on Indy and a once in Explorer and a couple of times with RC in the med, NCL and Celebrity as well and several P&O. I would go on any of them again in a heartbeat. We have 2 booked with P&O as they left the blocks promptly. If folk have their favourite and won't go on another til it is scraped, that's fine. We like the variety.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, zap99 said:

Many folk on here sail with P&O some others as well. I find it interesting that experienced cruisers are able to offer their opinions on a range of cruise lines. I have been with 6 different lines. Never Saga, or Princess, but have learnt some useful pointers for the future. Let's keep up this thread.😂

We have cruised with most of the main stream lines, from 700 pax to 4,500 pax. We love them all, some we remember more than others depending where we went and who we met. We have made some good friends from cruising who we see regularly (or will soon) even though they are not local. Each line offers something a bit different which is great as people are a bit different. As we have got older our tastes have changed and we have adapted accordingly, we have never lost our love for cruising. We have not cruised since Dec2019 and probably won't again till Jan22. Since we started cruising in 1997 we have not had a year without a cruise until covid struck, I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are, as a kid and young adult in the 60/70/80 we would have never contemplated cruising as that was only for rich people. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have cruised with most of the main stream lines, from 700 pax to 4,500 pax. We love them all, some we remember more than others depending where we went and who we met. We have made some good friends from cruising who we see regularly (or will soon) even though they are not local. Each line offers something a bit different which is great as people are a bit different. As we have got older our tastes have changed and we have adapted accordingly, we have never lost our love for cruising. We have not cruised since Dec2019 and probably won't again till Jan22. Since we started cruising in 1997 we have not had a year without a cruise until covid struck, I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are, as a kid and young adult in the 60/70/80 we would have never contemplated cruising as that was only for rich people. 

Our first was on Island Escape. Good memories of all of them. Nowadays we stick to P&O,RC,Celebrity,NCL. We are loyal and won't cheat. MSC, Princess look interesting though 🤔

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have sailed 3 times out of Southampton on Indy and a once in Explorer and a couple of times with RC in the med, NCL and Celebrity as well and several P&O. I would go on any of them again in a heartbeat. We have 2 booked with P&O as they left the blocks promptly. If folk have their favourite and won't go on another til it is scraped, that's fine. We like the variety.

I'm not averse to variety zap, we just enjoy the quieter more relaxed atmosphere of the smaller more authentic way of cruising. 

Avril

• Like 1