Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

The vaccines don't work 100% though. And there is also the problem that people might sue if they get Covid on a cruise ship as I have mentioned before. Masks forever are the only way to defend against that imho.

I am curious. If your mask forever theory is to hold water, that means we should also not be trusting any of the other vaccines that have pretty much eradicated serious illnesses. Why are we not still wearing masks to prevent us from all the vaccinated illnesses? Why are we not still wearing masks to prevent the spread of the Spanish Flu if masks forever is a reality?

I believe in masks 100%. I am very, very pro mask. But I also believe that vaccinations will work the way they are designed to and the way other vaccinations have and will eventually protect us without the need for masks.  The masks forever fantasy doesn't jive with reality and history.

Edited by cured
spelling
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

The only thing inaccurate about your example is that you wouldnt have 2 deaths if everyone in the room was vaccinated.  The vaccines have stopped 100% of hospitalizations and death.  The 95% number is for symptoms, not death.

So in your example, you can eliminate the masks, eliminate the social distancing, and nobody will die if all are vaccinated.

In other words, if everyone on a cruise ship was vaccinated, then there is absolutely no reason they can't enjoy an entirely normal experience.  No masks, no distancing, etc.  Just... Normal.

Masks and social distancing cannot be eliminated until we have a good understanding of variants and likely outcomes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I was talking about the survey options. Either or. Did you read the survey?

I know what is required on bahamas. The survey was about the may and june rcl cruises.

I was responding to your post that said everyone 16 and under require test but others do not.

YES, I know what the survey is and I voted Yes 100% 

8 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

A low tech solution?  Such as an app for a 90s phone?  Won't work.

One option that is being developed is the CLEAR Health Pass. It is an app but apparently they are also working on integrating it into kiosks. They already have security kiosks in airports and some stadiums that use biometrics to determine security eligibility.  They are having a surge in registrations as people are preferring a security check scanning the eyes or fingerprint rather than the TSA requirements of having to remove your mask for a few minutes.  It wouldn't be a stretch to add the health info to the kiosks and then add these kiosks in the ports so those without phones can just use the kiosks.

https://www.clearme.com/healthpass

21 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

A low tech solution?  Such as an app for a 90s phone?  Won't work.

Or perhaps a txt message, or something to your email which can be printed out perhaps? Or the yellow vaccination card?.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't DeSantis however you spell his name saying he won't allow Royal - so other lines by by extension of that - to insist upon all this no vaccine no sail whatever they want to do in his state. Wasn't that previously discussed with some people on here saying they don't think he has the authority to do it? How will that work out do you reckon?.

Aren't the cruise lines private companies? Can't they make their own policies? Much like private businesses here in Florida which have required masks all along. No mask, no service. There are health care facilities that also mandate masks. No mask, you don't even enter the building. Governor DeSantis has not been able to stop private businesses from setting their own rules.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cured said:

One option that is being developed is the CLEAR Health Pass. It is an app but apparently they are also working on integrating it into kiosks. They already have security kiosks in airports and some stadiums that use biometrics to determine security eligibility.  They are having a surge in registrations as people are preferring a security check scanning the eyes or fingerprint rather than the TSA requirements of having to remove your mask for a few minutes.  It wouldn't be a stretch to add the health info to the kiosks and then add these kiosks in the ports so those without phones can just use the kiosks.

https://www.clearme.com/healthpass

Right, but one would need a smart phone to download the apps.  Ace’s phone, by his own admission, is a fossil. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Aren't the cruise lines private companies? Can't they make their own policies? Much like private businesses here in Florida which have required masks all along. No mask, no service. There are health care facilities that also mandate masks. No mask, you don't even enter the building. Governor DeSantis has not been able to stop private businesses from setting their own rules.

I agree entirely with you but aren't the cruise terminals city or county or state owned property? Or are they privately owned?

4 hours ago, eaflorida said:

Not everyone in Israel wants to get vaccinated. In fact, lawsuits against mandatory vaccinations have been filed because without your green passport (vaccination proof) you can not do squat in Israel. 

Israel is doing the right thing for the time being anyway. Get this pandemic under control and achieve herd immunity then maybe lighten the restrictions sometime in the future. I wish the US would adopt what Israel is doing at the present time but alas, that will never happen here. The push back would be too much to overcome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Many businesses didn't enforce mask mandates, you think they're going to require customers to show proof of vaccines?  I also have a bridge I can sell you.

I can see it now on a store front or in the window of a restaurant......

"Must show proof of vaccination. No proof of vaccination, no service". Those are the establishments that will have lines out the door. All my opinion, of course.

9 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I can see it now on a store front or in the window of a restaurant......

"Must show proof of vaccination. No proof of vaccination, no service". Those are the establishments that will have lines out the door. All my opinion, of course.

What about that guy in Austin whose resturant got trashed masks and stuff. Got paint everywhere and stuff smashed up, lucky they didn't torch the place.

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I havent seen that data yet here for the UK so am i am not sure if the 100% is correct. But if it is correct then that is good news

The vaccines being administered in the US offer 100% protection against severe Covid symptoms, hospitalization and death. Those are Moderna, Pfizer and J&J.

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes. I think it's fair.  Discrimination? No. 

Our President of these United States has told us that every American that wants a vaccine will have one available for them by June. So plan now to get one. Further, every business has the inherit right to require certain procedures and policies to be instilled in their place of business. For example, Texas no longer has a government mandated mask requirement but Home Depot does. As does Chase bank. Is this fair? Yes. One must chose to either abide by their rules or don't shop there. The same with Chase bank. Or you can be arrested for trespassing if you're asked to leave. 

We have had those protocols in Florida from the get go. Florida never had a mask mandate. But......in my local area, grocery stores, pharmacies, retail stores, box stores, restaurants, health care facilities of all kinds, and plenty more that I haven't mentioned, have all had masks required in their facilities. For the most part, masks have been a common practice. I believe it is the demographic (seniors) that have been catered to by our local businesses. They know their demographic and have done their part to make us all feel safe when we are out and about indoors in their buildings.

Governor DeSantis has no say in what private business mandate for the safety of their customers, patrons, patients, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Masks and social distancing cannot be eliminated until we have a good understanding of variants and likely outcomes.

The mRNA vaccines can be "tweeked" easily for variants and they can do it rather quickly. I read on a reliable site some time ago (I THINK it was the Moderna site) that they can have a vaccine to cover the variants if necessary in a matter of weeks.

As for masking for ever? Not going to happen.

All my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I agree entirely with you but aren't the cruise terminals city or county or state owned property? Or are they privately owned?

I honestly can not answer your questions. Sorry. We may have a conundrum here.

44 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What about that guy in Austin whose resturant got trashed masks and stuff. Got paint everywhere and stuff smashed up, lucky they didn't torch the place.

I have no words for anyone who took part in that atrocity. No words.

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Wow! Apparently there is no room for personal freedom in some quarters.

46 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

There are thousands upon thousands, upon thousands of restaurants in Austin, and then thousands again in Texas. And only one was subjected to harsh treatment... yet it made the news and has convinced you that there is a serious problem. The balance of those thousands are open and selling food and catering to their customers. It appears you're under the spell of the negative news and  scare tactics of the media. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

The vaccines are doing well against the mutations, as evidenced by the fact that there have been no documented incidences of mutated virus breakouts amongst a vaccinated cohort. 

This surely played into the decision by the CDC to say vaccinated individuals no longer needed to mask or distance in a completely vaccinated group. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Would these be the silly arguments they make when the ambulance chasers claim for you for "sickness" in Egypt all inclusive resorts or elsewhere for that matter? 

And how they get claim doc is they make the argument you got your sickness from resting your arms on the side of the pool and then touching your face and the bacteria came from sweaty feet of people and pool cleaning hygiene was poor I suppose?.

Don't you think if they could get a holiday contract that stopped that they would do?.

I’m just speechless.....................

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The vaccines are doing well against the mutations, as evidenced by the fact that there have been no documented incidences of mutated virus breakouts amongst a vaccinated cohort. 

This surely played into the decision by the CDC to say vaccinated individuals no longer needed to mask or distance in a completely vaccinated group. 

If memory serves the ok for no mask or distance was for small groups of vaccinated people.

2,000 or so people strikes me as more than a small group. Hopefully we will have sufficient data in a few more months.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Miami-Dade County owns PortMiami, which is why the Mayor of Miami-Dade County wrote the letter to the CDC. Port Everglades is owned by Broward County and from what I remember from last year, the Broward County Mayor makes decisions about the Port in concert with the Unified Command, which includes many organizations such as the Coast Guard.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

No, it’s for the safety of the crew and passengers. Not everything is about discrimination and it shocks me how many people want to jump on that train. 🙄 Pregnant women can’t cruise after a certain time. Is that discrimination or for the safety of the person and baby? There are also so many other examples.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1