Will I be the only one?

ScottC4746

There is an April 2023 transpacific cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver 12 nights.  Will I be the only American on that cruise?  Will everything be in Japanese with maybe English being second?  Will on board prices be in Yen instead of US dollar?

9 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

There is an April 2023 transpacific cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver 12 nights.  Will I be the only American on that cruise?  Will everything be in Japanese with maybe English being second?  Will on board prices be in Yen instead of US dollar?

Celebrity caters to the west.  There will be plenty of Americans, Canadians, and others.  

English is the language on the ship.  But, there will be other languages spoken by passengers and crew.

The dollar is the currency on the ship.  They do have the "bank" where foreign currency can be exchanged.

Do not worry.  It will be a wonderful cruise.  😊

Edited by Texed
  • Thanks 1

No, there will be many other Americans on the cruise.

English will be the primary language aboard. Celebrity doesn't hire totally different crews to match the language of the port of embarkation.

USD is king on all Celebrity cruises.

9 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Celebrity travels from Tokyo to Vancouver and Vancouver to Tokyo regularly to reposition their fleet.  It’s a very popular itinerary and you will find a diverse population on board.

Just as everything would not be “Canadian” on the Vancouver to Tokyo Autumn run; you can expect the regular Celebrity experience on the Tokyo to Vancouver Spring repositioning 😊

Hope you have better weather than we had on the same crossing, different line.   There was one Japanese couple onboard.    We left Japan from Osaka and have three ports in Japan and four in Alaska.   We had snow in two of the ports in Japan and rain and cold across the Northern Pacific.   There were no pool days and we sat outside in Arctic jackets furnished by Seabourn.    Be sure to bring winter clothing for Japan and for the crossing (mid May to beginning of July).   

We have done the Vancouver to Tokyo TP  which we paired with a cruise around Japan followed by a land trip in Japan.  There were very few Japanese citizens on either cruise.  We have been on several Celebrity cruises in which announcements were made in more than one language, but those were not two of them.

32 minutes ago, marieps said:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Japanese crew member.  Has anyone?

Not that I can recall.  I traveled several times on Crystal the it was Japanese owned, and did not see any Japanese crew members.  In the Japanese restaurant, the waiters were Filipino.  

13 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Hi there,

As other’s have said on Celebrity passengers will be mainly Western. If you are considering other lines too, from our experience, Royal Caribbean does cater more to other nationalities. We did an RC cruise from Hong Kong and the majority of passengers were Chinese. The buffet did offer a Chinese breakfast selection and the usual stir fry area at lunch and in the evening was more expansive. The MDR had a Chinese and a Western menu.

We loved the diversity of the experience! We never felt our needs were not catered to...Announcements were in English and Chinese, no big deal.

Edited by chemmo

We did the westbound version - Vancouver to Yokohama (port for Tokyo) on Millennium. There was a group of around 15 to 20 Japanese passengers on board who were incredibly dedicated photographers. Every day, they were on deck scouring the horizon for signs of life, evidently with some success. This included the miserably rainy day when we were skirting a typhoon.

20 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

If it were, just curious as to what concerns you may have?

I was trying to picture  how a cruise that catered to Japanese pax would look. And I think it might be some kind of wonderful. Impeccably polite service. Impeccably polite pax. Fabulous food- both to look at and to eat. No chair hogs. Entertainment ranging from karaoke to kabuki. Mind you, with the scrums at the elevators, they might have to hire some of those Tokyo train pushers. 😉

I wouldn't worry about the language barrier- many lines provide multilingual services. And the currency? Even if it was in yen (it won't be), let your CC company worry about it- your cc account will post  in your home currency. Alas, the Japanese don't appear to be big cruisers, so this would just be a pipe dream.

57 minutes ago, mom says said:

Alas, the Japanese don't appear to be big cruisers, so this would just be a pipe dream.

ummmm.....   Princess have the infamous Diamond Princess home ported in Japan.  The bulk of passengers tend to be Japanese and they do cater to them on itineraries sailing out of Japan.  There is an authentic Japanese Onsen on board that ship. 

So some cruise lines do go after that market successfully.  

• Like 1

Excellent to know.  Princess isn't one of our preferred lines, ( and we are on the Celebrity board) but we may need to take a second look at the Diamond Princess. I just scoped out an Izumi YouTube- looks fabulous.

12 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Language barrier with fellow passengers. 

My family and I took a 15 night Christmas cruise from Chile to Argentina.  On board the ship and on Celebrity's own shore excursions, the sailing was conducted in English and US dollars.  Although there were plenty of Americans on board, there were a large number of South American families which meant that it was a little harder to strike up a conversation with a random passenger.  

Of course when we were on our own ashore, local customs/language/currency rule.