"Exciting news coming very soon"

Chris_2448

28 minutes ago, cabincop said:

Things have changed as far as response to Covid. No one is going to get “stuck” on a ship anymore. Last year was totally different 

Depends what you mean by "stuck on a ship".  You're probably correct in that cruises won't be extended so that everyone is quarantined.   However,  they will probably cancel ports so you're in essence stuck on the ship for the entire length of the cruise.

I know we all book a cruise for different reasons but I'm one who considers the ports of call and pick itineraries that I actually want to experience vs just enjoying the ship. 

6 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Depends what you mean by "stuck on a ship".  You're probably correct in that cruises won't be extended so that everyone is quarantined.   However,  they will probably cancel ports so you're in essence stuck on the ship for the entire length of the cruise.

I know we all book a cruise for different reasons but I'm one who considers the ports of call and pick itineraries that I actually want to experience vs just enjoying the ship. 

Obviously for the vast majority of people who cruise the ports of call are very important, but that in itself doesn’t mean that a week on a ship without being able to get off would be a disaster.

I suspect that I consider the itineraries every bit as much as you when booking a cruise, but I still really enjoyed both of the transatlantics that I’ve done (7 days and 10 days with no stops), and right now I would certainly go on a 7 day cruise with no stops.

Not my first choice, but great every now and then.

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

at the german NCL page is the message now too. But i don´t think they start here soon.

Yes, we have it in the UK now as well.

It is possible they could do something here, but I suspect the news will be more general about cruises late 2021/early 2022.

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

at the german NCL page is the message now too. But i don´t think they start here soon.

27 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, we have it in the UK now as well.

It is possible they could do something here, but I suspect the news will be more general about cruises late 2021/early 2022.

NCL is suppose to announce their redeployment and restart plan tomorrow (or Friday) according to their agents (who I have always said know nothing). They were busily cancelling cruises (including mine) today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

@HBCcruiser doesn't mean a cruise line can't comply with the CSO and start sailing.  I guess that means the CDC would have to pony up the rest of the requirements for the embarkation ports though...

That is not going to happen. They have no intention of giving the technical requirements, this was just a no sail continuation.  Today's statement basically means unless the rest of the government drops the "this is a pandemic" then we are not sailing in the US until November AT THE EARLIEST.  That being said, screw the CDC, show me the NCL cruises from other ports in the Caribbean/Mexico, and I will get on one.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

That is not going to happen. They have no intention of giving the technical requirements, this was just a no sail continuation.  Today's statement basically means unless the rest of the government drops the "this is a pandemic" then we are not sailing in the US until November AT THE EARLIEST.  That being said, screw the CDC, show me the NCL cruises from other ports in the Caribbean/Mexico, and I will get on one.

I'll be with you! If NCL doesn't act fast it is the Bermuda RCCL in July for us. Bookings start at the end of this month. 

• Like 3

What I mean earlier was being contained in your cabin for 17 days, not being allowed to leave the ship, having meals placed in front of your door etc. . Obviously, they will have better protocols in place on sailing resumes but that was my concern. 

28 minutes ago, HowardK said:

What I mean earlier was being contained in your cabin for 17 days, not being allowed to leave the ship, having meals placed in front of your door etc. . Obviously, they will have better protocols in place on sailing resumes but that was my concern. 

Yea, that is not happening going forward.  They have had cases on the ships sailing already, and none of those ships became floating lock ups where food was given to you at the door (RCL has said they had 10 cases since restarting).  So basically, the cruises wont get extended if there is a positive case anymore, and you wont be locked in your room.  The science showed that was a mistake, and it has been corrected.

• Like 4

We have an 11 night from Rome around Greece booked with NCL in Sept. I wish they'd start making some announcements soon. I feel loathed to cancel as we got such a good price on it a couple of years ago when we booked!

25 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

This letter from the American Society of Travel Advisors to the Biden Administration is Spot ON! 

20D5A799-9820-45E0-95AD-795D554FFAE7.jpe

This is spot on.  Enough is enough.  Either prove scientifically that Covid can only be spread by vaccinated people on a cruise ship, or shut down everything else too.

• Like 4

On 3/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, coastcat said:

"the Homeporting concept means that a cruise line would use Bermuda as their home base for a cruise to nowhere or their private island to our south, for three or four months; all passengers and crew would be fully immunised and subject to Bermuda’s Ministry of Health COVID-19 protocols. Passengers would fly into Bermuda to pick up their cruise and have the option to book a pre-and/or post-hotel stay and enjoy Bermuda longer."

Oh, I'd be lunging for the Book button if NCL announced sailings out of Bermuda. A 3-day cruise to nowhere combined with a few days in Bermuda would be awesome. The only sticking point for me (er, no pun intended) is that I'm so far down the vaccine eligibility list that it could be the end of summer by the time my immune system is ready for travel.

All US adults supposedly will be vaccinated by May 1 according to the current administration...

10 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

All US adults supposedly will be vaccinated by May 1 according to the current administration...

I believe that all adults will be eligible for vaccination by May 1, not vaccinated.  I think May 30 was the goal for everybody who wanted a vaccination to get one.

8 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

This is spot on.  Enough is enough.  Either prove scientifically that Covid can only be spread by vaccinated people on a cruise ship, or shut down everything else too.

One way we in America can add our voices to ASTA and CLIA's efforts is to write our respective Senators and Congressmen.  It is easy to do online now:

Here is the link for Senators:https://www.senate.gov/?Class=1

Here is the link for Congress: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Feel free to clone the text below that I sent to my representatives yesterday:

It has been almost five months since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued its framework for cruise lines return to sailing.  Since then, the cruise industry has been in a holding pattern in the U.S., with sailings in the largest cruise market in the world still banned, with no clear guidance on the horizon.  Meanwhile, the three largest cruise lines sailing out of U.S. ports have spent millions of their own money upgrading their ships with improved HVAC systems that virtually eliminate the spread of the COVID-19 virus through the ship’s internal environments.

While some lines, like Royal Caribbean and Crystal Cruise, have committed to restarting out of non-U.S. ports, and more are reportedly working to establish new home ports away from the overbearing U.S. CDC’s reach, now is the time for the CDC to lift its Conditional Sail Order that is preventing the industry from restarting in the U.S.

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) president and CEO Kelly Craighead wants the CDC to allow for cruise operations from U.S. ports to resume in early-July, a timeframe that is in line with President Biden’s forecast for when the country will be “closer to normal,” the group said.

Cruising has safely restarted outside of the U.S.—nearly 400,000 passengers have already sailed to date in more than 10 major cruise markets including Europe, Asia, and the South Pacific—proving that the industry is able to do the same stateside.  In fact, less than 50 cases have been reported during those restarts, a significantly lower rate than on-land vacations or in any other mode of transportation.  “These voyages were successfully completed with industry-leading protocols that have effectively mitigated the spread of COVID-19.  Additional sailings are planned in the Mediterranean and Caribbean later this spring and summer,” Craighead said.

“The outdated CSO, which was issued almost five months ago, does not reflect the industry’s proven advancements and success operating in other parts of the world, nor the advent of vaccines, and unfairly treats cruises differently.  Cruise lines should be treated the same as other travel, tourism, hospitality, and entertainment sectors,” Craighead added.  It is time to end the CDC’s stranglehold on an industry that provides millions of good paying jobs and earns billions in revenue in the U.S. market.  Stop the CDC ANTI-CRUISE MADNESS!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

If NCL does not get their act together soon, these boards will be a ghost town, as everyone will be over on the RCCL, Celebrity and Crystal boards, discussing their upcoming cruises on them.

I booked my first cruise with Celebrity today.  It will be my first cruise I’ve had on another line in 4 years.
I kinda feel like I’m cheating on NCL but they have had just as long to get a start up in motion as all the other lines. They failed me. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

No. 

30 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

I believe that all adults will be eligible for vaccination by May 1, not vaccinated.  I think May 30 was the goal for everybody who wanted a vaccination to get one.

Also no. There will be enough vaccine available  by the end of May to vaccinate every adult who wants to be vaccinated, but the actual process of vaccination will take longer...perhaps into early September.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/03/12/when-will-everyone-be-vaccinated-for-covid-19-when-will-we-reach-us-herd-immunity-projection/6840512002/

"The White House says the U.S. will have enough vaccine supply to cover every American adult by the end of May, although it will take longer to administer those vaccines. That's about 500 million doses, depending on what share of the vaccines require two shots."

Edited by njhorseman