Hotel recommendations in Sydney

Wavelet

My husband and I booked the LA to Sydney cruise in 2022. We’ve never been to Sydney and are planning on spending a couple days after the cruise to sightsee. Usually we book hotels through Princess when traveling to a new city (hotels, transfers to hotel/airport, etc.) but thought someone here might have some recommendations. The hotels Princess recommends are the Four Seasons or Hyatt. Would it be better to go through Princess or book on our own. We’d like to stay near where the attractions are, which look like near Circle Quay. Also is transportation easily accessible for transfers, sightseeing, etc.? Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

I have stayed pre & post cruise at the Four Seasons Sydney. Excellent location, breakfast buffet, beautiful hotel. I booked it myself & we took taxis to/ from airport/ hotel/ ship. Also handy for HOHO bus, harbour cruise etc 

• Like 2

We've stayed a couple of times at the Four Seasons and agree with the assessment of @dog. We've also stayed at the Intercontinental and are hoping to stay at the new-ish Fullerton someday. We've stayed at the Fullerton in Singapore and it's a favorite, so we want to try the one in Sydney. We always book ourselves and not through Princess.

You can book the Four seasons Hotel yourself for less than what Princess charges per person .

I found a price at the Four Seasons Hotel of about $800 CDN for two of us for two nights. The airport transfer was about $30 CDN per person. I'm quoting i Canadian Dollar  because me the dollar is at par with Australian Dollar.

If you goto Priceline or Booking.com and select the hotel. Then goto the hotel website for pricing direct . If you book direct your more likely to get an upgrade than booking thru a consolidator like Priceline. Then if you have issues you talk directly with the  hotel not a third party.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wavelet said:

Thank you all. This is really helpful. I know it’s a long way off, but it gives me something to plan :).  

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have stayed at the York Swiss Belhotel.  It's within walking distance of the port - although we usually stay there before a cruise and it's downhill to the port.  

We stayed at the Rendezvous Hotel Sydney in 'The Rocks' area, just 2 blocks from the pier.  We walked to the ship since it was 'down hill' and we could easily pull our luggage..  Had a nice balcony room with a kitchenette overlooking the pier and the Opera House across the harbor in one direction and looking at the bridge in the other direction.  Had a nice pool as well. Wouldn't have traded it for anything - and the price was right.

We have stayed a couple of times at the Sydney Marriott Harbour at Circular Quay.  Loved it!  Great location, close to ferries and other public transportation and easy walk to the Opera House.  Plus it's an easy flat walk to the ship if you're able to roll your own luggage eliminating the need to book transfers to / from the port.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Sydney Marriott Harbour at Circular Quay. Great location. Close to the  Sydney Opera House and Sydney Museum. There is much to do in Sydney. 

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/museum-of-sydney

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

We spent a few days at the Amora Jamison on our 2019 Sydney to LA cruise (it’s a great cruise- you will love it)  The hotel is reasonable priced and lovely.  Convenient location and the greatest breakfast buffet.   Well, since you have alerted me that some trans-Pac cruises are up on the Princess site, I think I need to get busy 😀

4 hours ago, Wavelet said:

The hotels Princess recommends are the Four Seasons or Hyatt. Would it be better to go through Princess or book on our own.

The Four Seasons at The Rocks is fabulous, and so is the Park Hyatt at The Rocks. I can't can't recommend either enough. We especially loved the location of the Park Hyatt.

Book whichever way is cheaper.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. This gives me a lot of choices. I’m happy to read that there’s a lot to do in this city, and the hotels are in close proximity to the attractions. Thanks again!

If it is Park Hyatt, it is probably the best located hotel in Sydney for a cruise, are you a member of any loyalty schemes that may swing things, also look at Pier One (Marriot I think) If you are staying a few days you may also want to look at Meriton Appartments, the added benefit of Cooking facilities and Laundry and also most (maybe all) seperate sitting room to bedroom.

3 hours ago, Wavelet said:

Thank you all. This is really helpful. I know it’s a long way off, but it gives me something to plan :).  

We loved the Four Seasons. We booked direct and were upgraded to a high floor with a view of the opera house. They have a great breakfast and gift shop. It is an easy walk to the boat for the zoo and harbor tour and the hop on bus stops right in front. A delicious local restaurant in walking distance is “Fish on the Rocks”. Go to the Aquarium. There is a converted Victorian Train Station that is a beautiful shopping mall up the hill. What a wonderful city.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Darling Harbor. Great Location easy walk from the hotel to the harbor.  Lovely hotel. Lots of places to eat and shop in Darling Harbor. There are also harbor tour boats right on the harbor.  We booked a stay before our land sea vacation cheaper than getting it through Princess.  We had our transfers from the hotel to ship with our land/sea reservation. We took an airport transport to get to the hotel. I highly recommend. 

8 hours ago, 63 Super Sport said:

We enjoyed the Sydney Marriott Harbour at Circular Quay. Great location. Close to the  Sydney Opera House and Sydney Museum. There is much to do in Sydney. 

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/museum-of-sydney

Enjoy!!!

Thats my preferred hotel as well

In 2015 we spent one week  ,at the 4 star Sydney Boulevard hotel  . We booked it  with a new Credit card at the  time & very glad we stayed there  .first ,the HOHO bus came right in front of this hotel .The hotel has a concierge who made wonderful arrangements to  tour the Blue Mountains   & got us a wonderful limo ride back to the airport very reasonable on both .The hotel has a breakfast buffet . Across the street is a Pub & they had cyrey chicken dinner with a pint of Australian Beer for $10 USD   .We could even walk 2 blocks to more great restaurants at very reasonable prices . 

The best part was not flies or nats at our hotel . For some reason during their Spring they get these nats (hatched from their sand dunes )

.They are tiny but in the countless millions all over but not at our hotel . They were outside at the Opera House  ,We had ti eat inside the restaurant s , They were between the Cathedral & the Museum  .They were even at the Blue  mountain tramway 

I would make sure you book a fully refundable hotel. At the moment Australia Govt is only allowing Aussies into the country & they must stay in 14 days Hotel Quarantine(paid by themselves). 

The Marriot is one of these quarantine hotels.

We have just started the vaccine here, so hopefully by the end of the year, we may be able to travel overseas (but who knows for sure)

Cheers

Tanya

• Like 2