Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24606-here-are-the-cruise-lines-requiring-a-vaccine-so-far.html?fbclid=IwAR1Xnprj__vlVWWMKH0KU8HLDmatq-Js36pEu7kTqUH7D4XSR6DZZ8VFAs4

A number of cruise lines have announced plans to restart operations in the coming months, and some of those brands are requiring proof of a COVID-19 vaccine for passengers. Other brands are expected to follow suit but have not made announcements. 

Cruise brands requiring the COVID-19 vaccine: 

Saga Cruises

In January, Saga Cruises became the first cruise line to make the COVID-19 vaccination mandatory.

“The health and safety of our customers has always been our number one priority at Saga, so we have taken the decision to require everyone travelling with us to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19”, the British cruise line said in a statement.

To travel with Saga, guests now must have received full two doses of the COVID‑19 vaccination at least 14 days before the embarkation date.

American Queen and Victory

Two other cruise lines made the COVID-19 vaccines mandate for all guests in February. American Queen Steamboat Company and Victory Cruise Lines announced that the vaccination requirement will go into effect for all sailings beginning on July 1, 2021.

Crew members and non-shipboard employees across all seven vessels in both company fleets will also need to be inoculated.

“The health and safety of our guests, crew members and partners continue to remain our top priority. Vaccination requirement for both our guests and crew is the most prudent next step to ensure that we are providing the safest cruising experience possible”, said John Waggoner, CEO and founder of American Queen Steamboat Company.

Crystal Cruises

Crystal Cruises also confirmed it will require all guests to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to their cruise

Passengers will be asked to provide proof of vaccination before embarkation and must have received both doses of the vaccine.

“We know that peace of mind is the greatest luxury; and the vaccine requirement is simply the best way to ensure the safest possible Crystal Experience for all onboard," said Crystal’s interim president and CEO, Jack Anderson. 

Crystal’s crew is expected to be vaccinated as well, depending on the availability of the vaccines on their home countries.

Virgin Voyages

In March, Virgin Voyages announced it will be requiring all passengers and crew members to be vaccinated before they can go onboard.

“Safety and security is our number one priority, and always has been our number one priority. We've heard the president talk about the acceleration of vaccines out there, where by May, all adults could be vaccinated. So, we think that that's an important criterium to create a safe environment on our ships," Virgin Voyages’ CEO Tom McAlpin said in an interview aired on ABC News’ Good Morning America.

Virgin currently plans to start service on July 1, sailing from Miami.

Royal Caribbean (Israel and North America)

While not making it a company policy, Royal Caribbean announced that COVID-19 vaccines will be mandatory for guests in two specific operations.

For the recently announced restart in North America, all crew will be vaccinated, and guests age 18 and over will be required to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination as well. 

In Israel, Royal Caribbean plans to offer the first fully vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be need to vaccinated against COVID-19, the cruise line said.

P&O and Princess

Princess and P&O will also require COVID-19 vaccination for their service return in the United Kingdom, scheduled for the the summer. 

The Carnival Corporation brands said that given the advanced progress of the UK vaccination program and strongly expressed preference on the part of its guests for this series of UK coastal sailings, the cruises will be for UK resident COVID-19 vaccinated guests only.

Celebrity Cruises

Another cruise line requiring the COVID-19 vaccination on its return is Celebrity Cruises.

The cruise line will offer Caribbean cruises from St. Maarten starting on June 5, with the Celebrity Millennium.

The ship will sail with vaccinated crew and will be available to vaccinated adult guests and children under the age of 18 with a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of embarkation, according to a press release.

Viking are currently not budging on requiring vaccination of either passengers nor crew. I wonder if the Aus Govt will make it a requirement for entry to shores and I’ve got money on many port stops requiring similar. 

I had AZ on Monday and very grateful for it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 5

Good to hear from you, Pushka. We were down  your way recently, did the Proud Mary 5 night Murray River cruise. It was wonderful. No vaccinations required for that one but there were only about 32 passengers onboard that cruise, and six crew.

However I wouldn't want to go on one of the big ships without vaccinations being mandatory for passengers and crew. Just as well I don't have any Viking cruises booked.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

However I wouldn't want to go on one of the big ships without vaccinations being mandatory for passengers and crew. Just as well I don't have any Viking cruises booked.

Neither will I get on a cruise ship that does not require vaccinations for crew and passengers.   I have my vaccination next week.   Really don't want to go OS this year or next.   There are a number of cruises around Australian waters and I expect that NZ will probably open up (as vaccinations increase) due to their economy not doing as well as Australia.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If you go on the other boards there are some very angry people calling it a "human rights violations" 😳. I would love to see then try and take that to the UN😂

By not vaxxing (with medical exemption) they are infringing everyone else's human rights.

May be an image of text that says "Iron lungs in a polio ward, 1950. Society has a short memory. #vaccinate 550A"

• Like 7

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If you go on the other boards there are some very angry people calling it a "human rights violations" 😳. I would love to see then try and take that to the UN😂

From North America no doubt. Where they go around with no masks, shooting people up.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, Pushka said:

Viking are currently not budging on requiring vaccination of either passengers nor crew. I wonder if the Aus Govt will make it a requirement for entry to shores and I’ve got money on many port stops requiring similar. 

I had AZ on Monday and very grateful for it. 

Good on Viking.

1 minute ago, windsor26 said:

Hope so this is a new booking to take the place of a June cancellation

Good luck with it and i hope your Coral worldie sails as well in May 22. I am tempted on a sector, perhaps syd to dover or dover to syd.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good luck with it and i hope your Coral worldie sails as well in May 22. I am tempted on a sector, perhaps syd to dover or dover to syd.

That cruise is also a replacement for TWO cancelled half world sectors.   We are hopefully doing Dover to Sydney after meeting with our family fo a few weeks as we have missed so much of the new babies lives

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Getting our jabs tomorrow morning so we can have had both before our next cruise in August 

Wishing you luck with your 17th August cruise, Yvonne.  Will be nice if you can cruise north in winter.  

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Wishing you luck with your 17th August cruise, Yvonne.  Will be nice if you can cruise north in winter.  

Yes 10 days along the Queensland coast (and I have also booked 2 others with a similar itinerary with Carnival and Princess so spreading it about.  lol

3 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

That cruise is also a replacement for TWO cancelled half world sectors.   We are hopefully doing Dover to Sydney after meeting with our family fo a few weeks as we have missed so much of the new babies lives

Rule Brittania, i have relos in englands green and pleasant land as well.

those 2022 and 2023 coral princess worldie roll calls will break records, lol.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Some dickhead on Princess Board said...this is not Russia, you cannot be forced to have a vaccination.  I have news for you, stay home.

😆 Now that is funny. I guess no one told them Russia has the opposite problem, not enough people getting the jab. So maybe they should move to Russia😜

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Boris and his UK Government are talking about vaccination passports to get into pubs, restaurants etc. No vaccination, no 🍗🦐🍛🍽🍝🍺🍷🥃🍸🍹

You have to wave a carrot to convince some people to get onboard (pun intended, in keeping with the cruise theme).

I don't think it should be mandatory/compulsory to get a jab, no one should be forced. However, I do think that if you want to mix with the public, do anything socially or go anywhere (but your bedroom), you have to have had one. The only Caveat to this is if you have a medical exemption.

36 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think it should be mandatory/compulsory to get a jab, no one should be forced. However, I do think that if you want to mix with the public, do anything socially or go anywhere (but your bedroom), you have to have had one. The only Caveat to this is if you have a medical exemption.

I agree that it should not be compulsory to get a jab, however, I believe it is essential that vaccination should be required before people (pax and crew) board a cruise ship.