full refund timing

I've seen few recent  comments on other threads  about  the long wait for full refunds.  I know there were  long waits last year, but recently we've gotten refunds in a few weeks or less.  We had a May cruise cancellation on March 9, requested a full refund the same day and the refund was posted to our card on May 15, just one week later.    The agent did try to  convince me to take FCC, pushing  the  25% incentive and  warning that the refund can take  60 days.  It took one week!

Are many of you still having to wait months  for a refund  or are the comments perhaps experiences from last year?

Thanks, M

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I've seen few recent  comments on other threads  about  the long wait for full refunds.  I know there were  long waits last year, but recently we've gotten refunds in a few weeks or less.  We had a May cruise cancellation on March 9, requested a full refund the same day and the refund was posted to our card on May 15, just one week later.    The agent did try to  convince me to take FCC, pushing  the  25% incentive and  warning that the refund can take  60 days.  It took one week!

Are many of you still having to wait months  for a refund  or are the comments perhaps experiences from last year?

Thanks, M

It is variable and there are many factors in play that can determine the length of time.

- Royal processes the sailings by sailing date order 

- if your booking was in a group it will generally take longer

- if your sailing had been previously moved it may take longer

- if you applied FCC’s it may take longer

Those are just the ones that came to mind right away and yes they are recent.  Unfortunately there is not a standard timeline. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It is variable and there are many factors in play that can determine the length of time.

- Royal processes the sailings by sailing date order 

- if your booking was in a group it will generally take longer

- if your sailing had been previously moved it may take longer

- if you applied FCC’s it may take longer

Those are just the ones that came to mind right away and yes they are recent.  Unfortunately there is not a standard timeline. 

Just to add that they tend to process refunds in pieces apparently based on the date on which a line item on the invoice was received. We had a May 16 cruise cancelled by RCL, and we've received two partial refunds so far. The first one was for the port taxes and fees, and the second one was for the second passenger's cruise fare. We're still waiting on the first passenger's fare and the cruise insurance.

I have had 12 or 13 cruises cancelled since last March and received All of my refunds in 2 to 3 weeks.   My most recent May sailing refund took less than 10 days for full refund.  

Last May there was some confusion with 2 fccs I opted for but that was quickly resolved too.

My two cents........  I’ve canceled or have had at least 9 cruises and 6+ months ago, it would take at least 2 months to get my refund.  I’ve canceled 2 cruises in the past 3 weeks and received my refund in both cases within 6 days.  They're finally doing something right.

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

My May cruise was cancelled by RCCL and I have not yet received my refund however the cruise on disappeared from my cruise planner a few days ago.  Hopefully I will start to receive the refunds soon

Did you tell them you want the refund?  Otherwise they issue an FCC.  

good luck

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

My original was canceled back in March 2020 when pandemic started to shut everything down. Waited and received FCC a month later in April 2020. Redeemed the FCC for Odyssey February 2021 which was canceled due to shipyard construction delay....paid a little more for that sailing. Then moved to Oasis February 2021 paid a little less and received a refund of the difference within a couple of days. Then it was canceled. So after that we just gave up. Decided to wait and see how things go whenever the industry gets back up and running before we book another one. It took about 75 days for our FCC to be converted to a credit card refund. I only had to call once. 

• 1 month later...

My booking was part of a group booking through a big box TA, that Royal Caribbean cancelled on 8th March, I requested a refund on 9th March, to date I still have not received any refunds to my card although the booking disappeared from my account some weeks ago.  Is there a number I can call to chase it up?

Edited by SpainAlien

On 3/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, orville99 said:

Just to add that they tend to process refunds in pieces apparently based on the date on which a line item on the invoice was received. We had a May 16 cruise cancelled by RCL, and we've received two partial refunds so far. The first one was for the port taxes and fees, and the second one was for the second passenger's cruise fare. We're still waiting on the first passenger's fare and the cruise insurance.

Still waiting...

On 5/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, SpainAlien said:

My booking was part of a group booking through a big box TA, that Royal Caribbean cancelled on 8th March, I requested a refund on 9th March, to date I still have not received any refunds to my card although the booking disappeared from my account some weeks ago.  Is there a number I can call to chase it up?

Still waiting.  Am I the only person who hasn't received a bean yet?

I am considering cancelling my September cruise on Harmony if they don''t get the money back to me soon.  I have not had this problem with NCL.

Edited by SpainAlien