How, When and Where will Crewmembers be Vaccinated in time for June cruises?

TeeRick

17 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

No, i'm not suggesting the US turn over vaccines to foreign crew members. But by the summer the cruise lines should be able to purchase their own vaccine and pay for all the costs to administer it to their employees. Taxpayer dollars should not go towards vaccinating non-US residents.

OK yes that could very well happen later in the year.  But within the next month or so?  So cruises can go out of non-US ports by June

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

paulh84 thank you for being a source of actual information pertinent to my question.  But I do not follow Instagram.  Can you paraphrase what she said about crew vaccines if anything?

She is currently at home on vacation and arranged her own appointment just like the rest of us do. No mention at all of the company helping out or any potential future plans. She does mostly avoid speculation about restarting cruises though. 

14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

It probably should be closed as Celebrity is not going to come on here and tell you the answer if they even have one.  I don't think any of us in the cruising public have the answer.

But the crew members will have the answer and perhaps post some information.

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thank you Ken.  That is my question.  How can this get done by June on Millennium and what is the actual information (not speculation) from Celebrity or its crew members on the process.  Again not sure how this has devolved into nastiness.  Just a simple question looking for information.  Post #1.  We will like be in danger of getting the thread closed soon with the direction some have taken. 

Quite frankly, when I read your first post I wondered what you expected to hear. You specifically asked for facts, not speculation. Who on this board would have access to that information, and even if they did, did you think they would be allowed to openly discuss it here?

This thread devolved, unfortunately, due to speculation.

Imo, X has been working on the problem of crew vaccination for some time and must have found a solution or they wouldn’t have established work arounds to the CDC shut down. And yes, it's speculation on my part. Jm2c. ☮️

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

Quite frankly, when I read your first post I wondered what you expected to hear. You specifically asked for facts, not speculation. Who on this board would have access to that information, and even if they did, did you think they would be allowed to openly discuss it here?

This thread devolved, unfortunately, due to speculation.

Imo, X has been working on the problem of crew vaccination for some time and must have found a solution or they wouldn’t have organized work arounds to the CDC shut down. And yes, it's speculation on my part. Jm2c. ☮️

I could speculate as much as anybody.  But what I hoped to hear is that some crew member or travel agent had some information.  That there was a plan for them to get vaccinated and give us some actual information.  The time is short.  Cruises are being sold.  There is a lead time (right now) that the crew needs to be vaccinated.  Somebody must know the plan or some crew must have been vaccinated by the plan.  Even if it is in their own countries (most likely).  

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks paulh84 much appreciated.  Everybody who has signed up for the Millennium, Adventure, Legend or APEX announced cruises should go to 5:20 on this video and listen to him talk about crew vaccinations needed in time for these cruises.  There is no announced plan to us or to the crew.  What he speaks about as a potential scenario, having the crew pulling up to a port and getting vaccinated and getting back on, is OK if they use the 1-shot J&J vaccine and then wait 28 days before taking on passengers.  It is concerning that the cruises are announced and booking with no clear announced plan to vaccinate the crew- including waiting period post vaccine.  

However with the US having an over abundance of supply in May.  "Enough for everyone in the USA to get vaccinated."  We will be oversupplied by then as there is a certain population that will not be vaccinated by their own choice.  We also have 2 more vaccines coming in the pipeline for FDA approval and production efficiency is improving every day.  Where will the excess US vaccines go?

I would suspect that the home port countries may help getting the crew vaccinated or at least verify that they have been with approved vaccines.  The local countries set the rules and not the CDC.

You do raise a good question though.

The getting cruise ship members vaccinated before Granny will not be an issue here in the US.  It may be in other countries though.  I am in a state that vaccinated prisoners before Granny.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

In my state, anyone 16 years and older is eligible, appointments appear to be easy to get...that tells me there is plenty of the vaccine around...I see no issues getting the crew vaccinated...

I see it differently.  It does indicate a ready supply of appointments if easy to acquire overall.  Rather than a surplus of doses, I lean toward thinking a lack of people willing to fill those available appointment slots.

My town opened up several short notice clinics and lowered the eligibility requirements because doses were in danger of going unused.  Rather than let them be wasted, officials beat the bushes looking for adults willing to receive the jabs.

Do you see where I’m going with this?

Edited by logan25
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

However with the US having an over abundance of supply in May.  "Enough for everyone in the USA to get vaccinated."  We will be oversupplied by then as there is a certain population that will not be vaccinated by their own choice.  We also have 2 more vaccines coming in the pipeline for FDA approval and production efficiency is improving every day.  Where will the excess US vaccines go?

I would suspect that the home port countries may help getting the crew vaccinated or at least verify that they have been with approved vaccines.  The local countries set the rules and not the CDC.

You do raise a good question though.

The getting cruise ship members vaccinated before Granny will not be an issue here in the US.  It may be in other countries though.  I am in a state that vaccinated prisoners before Granny.

Yes all true but I am focused on the upcoming June timeline only-  and Millennium out of St. Maarten for one example.  Not the USA.  Perhaps FL or TX or NJ or CA - states with seaports used for cruising- will sometime later this year (not by next month) help solve the problem of vaccinating crew sailing out of the USA when enough vaccine has been administered to their citizens, 

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Yes all true but I am focused on the upcoming June timeline only-  and Millennium out of St. Maarten for one example.  Not the USA.  Perhaps FL or TX or NJ or CA - states with seaports used for cruising- will sometime later this year (not by next month) help solve the problem of vaccinating crew sailing out of the USA when enough vaccine has been administered to their citizens, 

Well, since Texas is vaccinating all adults regardless of citizenship, I don’t see any impediment to that scenario.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

@TeeRick, could the Philippine government be a possible source if RCG is able to work out an applicable tripartite arrangement? So far this is the only country Ms Google could find where a corporation might be able to purchase vaccines through an agreement with a host country?

Ken it is entirely possible and the Philippines is definitely a source of crew members.  But the virus including new variants is strongly surging there.  Moderna is providing 7 Million more doses and 20 Million total.  Not sure when.  And will younger members of the population (like crew members) get prioritized there?  Or would sell vaccine to a non-Philippine private company like RCG given the state of the pandemic there?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-21/philippines-fears-third-wave-of-coronavirus-as-vaccine-stalls/13250372

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-new-supply-agreement-philippines-7-million

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Speculation but something that might happen if the announced cruises were not going around Florida's cruise ports and re-establishing their home ports elsewhere.  So you think that the governor would take away vaccine from his citizen's and donate (or sell) it to a cruise ship going out of St Maarten by June? 

This is the actual point I keep trying to get too.  A lot of us are American cruisers here seem to be focused on American states or government providing a mechanism to foreign flagged ships sailing from non-American ports to vaccinate non-American crewmembers to allow wealthy American tourists to travel to another country and cruise.  While a lot of America still remains unvaccinated and most of the world remains unvaccinated. 

We are lending vaccine to Canada and Mexico.  Not to St Maarten, the Bahamas, Bermuda, or Greece where these ships will be sailing from.

TBH, I think you're over analyzing the situation. There is a lot of vaccine available today. It's literally everywhere. No one seems to be up in arms (no pun intended) about giving vaccines to Canada or Mexico. They're testing and vaxing arms of the illegals on the southern border and no one seems to mind... so... I say shoot those arms up in St. Maarten & the Bahamas. If someone in these United States is struggling to get vaccinated... they're doing something wrong. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ken it is entirely possible and the Philippines is definitely a source of crew members.  But the virus including new variants is strongly surging there.  Moderna is providing 7 Million more doses and 20 Million total.  Not sure when.  And will younger members of the population (like crew members) will get prioritized there?  Or if they would sell vaccine to a non-Philippine private company like RCG given the state of the pandemic there.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-21/philippines-fears-third-wave-of-coronavirus-as-vaccine-stalls/13250372

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-new-supply-agreement-philippines-7-million

Don't forget about those in some cases being "donated" by China.

The Logic of China’s Vaccine Diplomacy – The Diplomat

8 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

TBH, I think you're over analyzing the situation. There is a lot of vaccine available today. It's literally everywhere. No one seems to be up in arms (no pun intended) about giving vaccines to Canada or Mexico. They're testing and vaxing arms off the illegals on the southern border and no one seems to mind... so... I say shoot those arms up in St. Maarten, the Bahamas. If someone in these United States is struggling to get vaccinated... they're doing something wrong. 

I know many many people in the US who are struggling to get vaccinated. Vaccine is still very limited in many states.  It will be another month (May 1) for vaccines to be available for the general population in many states.  I know that it is now open in TX.  Great news.   You have 90% of your population still unvaccinated.  Only 3 million vaccinated out of 30 million people.  So you think Texas should immediately send vaccine to Celebrity in St. Maarten to vaccinate the crew there by June sailings?  

By the way- I do not think that my own adult kids, and my neighbors, and my relatives are doing anything wrong.  They just cannot even qualify for vaccine yet.  Then they will be in a very long line to get even an appointment.  I'm glad your part of the country is not facing this in your estimation.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

Just to set the record straight on the misleading statements  made about residency requirements for Florida, here are the actual requirements (taken from the Sarasota Health Department website). The requirements were put in place to stop the vaccine tourism being promoted in an official Florida state campaign directed to Canadians and some others ("Come for the vaccine! Stay for the sunshine!). When local outrage became too widespread, the requirements were put in place to make sure that out of state visitors had somewhat of a longer term stay than a short vacation.

In order to demonstrate Florida residency, an individual must present either

(1) A valid Florida driver license or valid Florida identification card, or

(2) If an individual does not have a valid Florida driver license or identification card, they may present a copy of two of the following items that show proof of residential address:

• A deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental or lease agreement. (Copies of deeds can be found on the Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller website https://www.sarasotaclerk.com/)
  • A utility hookup or work order that is not more than 2 months old.
  • A utility bill that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a bank or other financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a government agency that is not more than 2 months old. (Mail from a government agency can include tax bills showing a Florida address. Tax bills can be found on the Sarasota County Tax Collector website https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com/
  • One of the above items from the individual’s parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the individual resides and a statement from the parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the person resides stating that the person does resides with him or her.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Just to set the record straight on the misleading statements  made about residency requirements for Florida, here are the actual requirements (taken from the Sarasota Health Department website). The requirements were put in place to stop the vaccine tourism being promoted in an official Florida state campaign directed to Canadians and some others ("Come for the vaccine! Stay for the sunshine!). When local outrage became too widespread, the requirements were put in place to make sure that out of state visitors had somewhat of a longer term stay than a short vacation.

In order to demonstrate Florida residency, an individual must present either

(1) A valid Florida driver license or valid Florida identification card, or

(2) If an individual does not have a valid Florida driver license or identification card, they may present a copy of two of the following items that show proof of residential address:

• A deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental or lease agreement. (Copies of deeds can be found on the Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller website https://www.sarasotaclerk.com/)
  • A utility hookup or work order that is not more than 2 months old.
  • A utility bill that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a bank or other financial institution, including checking, savings, or investment account statements, that is not more than 2 months old.
  • Mail from a government agency that is not more than 2 months old. (Mail from a government agency can include tax bills showing a Florida address. Tax bills can be found on the Sarasota County Tax Collector website https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com/
  • One of the above items from the individual’s parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the individual resides and a statement from the parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the person resides stating that the person does resides with him or her.

Thanks for providing actual facts!

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Only 3 million vaccinated out of 30 million people.  

Slight clarification on Texas status 3 Million have received 2 doses another 6.3 Million have received 1 dose.  

I’m curious since it seems to be more difficult to get the vaccine in your area are vaccines only available through government vaccination sites or are pharmacies and doctors also administering the shots?  
A good number of friends and relatives who didn’t qualify, according to the age criteria, went on waitlists for last minute doses at pharmacies and doctors offices and  within 1-7 days got a call to come in to be vaccinated.    In fact that was how Captain Kate got her shot- Sam’ s Club had vaccine that was about to expire.  Is that happening in your area?  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Slight clarification on Texas status 3 Million have received 2 doses another 6.3 Million have received 1 dose.  

I’m curious since it seems to be more difficult to get the vaccine in your area are vaccines only available through government vaccination sites or are pharmacies and doctors also administering the shots?  
A good number of friends and relatives who didn’t qualify, according to the age criteria, went on waitlists for last minute doses at pharmacies and doctors offices and  within 1-7 days got a call to come in to be vaccinated.    In fact that was how Captain Kate got her shot- Sam’ s Club had vaccine that was about to expire.  Is that happening in your area?  

Thank you for the update on Texas. I should have noted the dose shot difference in my post.  Sorry.   In my state it is still 65+ or HCW's or certain defined medical conditions.  Now teachers added recently.  Second doses have been delayed by lack of vaccine in some areas.  It is amazing the difference between some of the states.

I still am thinking that none of this matters either in TX or PA or any other US state.  We seem to be debating states that could potentially supply vaccine (in the next month) to a non-US citizen employed on a non-US cruise ship based outside of the US.  Huh?  Doesn't anybody else see an issue with this?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thank you for the update on Texas. I should have noted the dose shot difference in my post.  Sorry.   In my state it is still 65+ or HCW's or certain defined medical conditions.  Now teachers added recently.  Second doses have been delayed by lack of vaccine in some areas.  It is amazing the difference between some of the states.

I still am thinking that none of this matters either in TX or PA or any other US state.  We seem to be debating states that could potentially supply vaccine (in the next month) to a non-US citizen employed on a non-US cruise ship based outside of the US.  Huh?  Doesn't anybody else see an issue with this?

Yes.  And I explained my position last evening.  I do not think it will, or should, happen.  It is highly unlikely, without a substantial hue and cry, that vaccine doses will be siphoned off from US residents and sent to the Bahamas or elsewhere for international cruise lines' crews.  Nor will any state, including Florida, provide or sell allocated vaccine doses to private companies operating out of the US, including the cruise lines, as that is not currently permitted under federal distribution guidelines.  The US will be sharing vaccine with other countries like Canada and Mexico soon and has made substantial financial contributions to global distribution efforts.  Obviously, it is up to those countries how their vaccine supply will be given out.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

One thing to seriously consider is that the vaccinated crew members for these June sailings could be drawn from countries like the US and UK that have higher vaccination rates.  I do not think in my many years of cruising that I have ever (or very rarely) met an American crew member on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.   But I suppose the RCG corporation could recruit in the US and UK for vaccinated people to serve as crew even if they have to pay them a lot more than they would like.  At least that gets their June cruises started.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think that this is an issue.  I also noticed that you are from a state that vaccinates prisoners before granny.  I would think that this would be a big issue.  We have the same issue in our state.  I can imagine next seasons political ads.

I don't see excess vaccines in the US until sometime in May.  

Some states handled the vaccinations much better than others.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1