Show your support for the return of cruising in US

Margarita Jane

I support cruising returning, but I Do Not support setting July as a date now when we are still in a Pandemic. And yes, this isn’t political so we can discuss this on CC, but I’ll disagree that CLIA is just a trade organization, it is a lobbying organization, which puts their proposals in a bit of a different context. 

Once its decided to open US ports, it will take an extended time to get it all going, but it would be a disaster to set a time right now, start working towards it and have it not work because the Pandemic continues......and it ain’t over yet.

And just as I suggested on a thread about X starting a new Loyalty level between Elite Plus and Zenith, I suggested 1,500 points - a level I had already reached....so I say we open up US ports NLT late Oct ‘21 because i have a Ft Lauderdale cruise in November......because It’s all about me!!!

Den 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I don't need a history lesson, thanks, I'm well aware of Cruise Critic's origins. But in case you've missed its development, Cruise Critic now has a very international membership; it's no longer just Americans on-line. 🙄

Post a link to your Canadian legislators and we can contact them too.  Should we correspond in English or French?  🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Can't be a referee and a player.  Choose one or the other.  

Who are Community Hosts?  The Community Manager?

Our Community Hosts oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to move and delete posts & threads, and perform other simple actions. Becoming a Community Host for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are hosting.

Community Hosts Are Here to Help Out; Their Opinions Are Their Own!
Many of our Hosts contribute to various discussions. They are free to contribute, or not contribute, as they see fit. Their opinions are their own. Cruise Critic does not regulate what the staff says about a location, cruise line, shore excursion or travel provider.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Who are Community Hosts?  The Community Manager?

Our Community Hosts oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to move and delete posts & threads, and perform other simple actions. Becoming a Community Host for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are hosting.

Community Hosts Are Here to Help Out; Their Opinions Are Their Own!
Many of our Hosts contribute to various discussions. They are free to contribute, or not contribute, as they see fit. Their opinions are their own. Cruise Critic does not regulate what the staff says about a location, cruise line, shore excursion or travel provider.

I am starting to like you :)....Nope...they cannot "Cancel" @Host Jazzbeau. He does a great job.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Margarita Jane said:

I have not seen this link elsewhere on CC, so:

https://cruising.org/en/clia-action-center

I wonder how many of the yes, reopen the U.S. cruise industry , votes came from those maritime lawyers who made a living out of suing the cruise industry. Those poor buggers must have had a awful year.  😉

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

"Well I know I'm not blonde and I know I'm not dumb, but by the time the business men realize that, I am out of the room and I got the deal and the cash"

That phrase is fan...tastic!  I love her honesty...not all of us could get away with it...LOL.

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

"...so I say we open up US ports NLT late Oct ‘21 because i have a Ft Lauderdale cruise in November......because It’s all about me!!!"

😄...All about me too.....!   Not July but open Nov. 1st as it's been rumoured, and time to get the kinks out.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I am starting to like you :)....Nope...they cannot "Cancel" @Host Jazzbeau. He does a great job.

Sorry, but I have had posts deleted by "hosts" simply because they disagreed with them.  That is not impartial.  That is using your "power" to influence the discussion.  SAD!  If "hosts" want to Comment let them do that under a non-host avatar.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Sorry, but I have had posts deleted by "hosts" simply because they disagreed with them.  That is not impartial.  That is using your "power" to influence the discussion.  SAD!  If "hosts" want to Comment let them do that under a non-host avatar.

I have had posts deleted, as well. Typically, it is another poster and not the Host that complains to the Moderator. This is not the CCP and free speech is still a right we have and hope to keep. Thank goodness we have Hosts willing to do the job for us here. I am grateful to have them.

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

If you have issues with how this forum is managed, you need to address this directly with CC at community@cruisecritic.com not a post. One of the guidelines is not to post complaints about posts being removed and how the forum is managed. Do that with the organization itself. 

Many (well maybe not ‘many’!) have had posts removed due to the discussions going off the deep end. But none of mine or ones I’ve seen were removed because some Host disagreed with the post itself, only because it was outside the very specific guidelines. 

Enough. This post will most likely (and should) be removed because it is referencing your post that isn’t following the guidelines. And Please do not respond to this post.

Out

Den

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Fully agree.  Either you are a "host"or you are a impartial contributor.  Can't be both.

Phooey. The host or moderator is also a person that enjoys all things cruising. The fact that they also have a responsibility to insure that the board follows the guidelines established does not and should never dis-allow them to post their thoughts as long as it is within the said guidelines.  Their role should not prevent them to have an opinion. Especially because the opinion might be different than yours. Just repsond and post your thoughts as it is anyone else. If you stay withing the cruise critics established rules there will be no issue. 

• Like 5

Everyone's got their opinions, every politician is on one side of the other, the CLIA has to look out for everything in their charter, my cruise line friends have been out of work and money for over a year, and we sit here hoping our next cruise doesn't get cancelled, yadda yadda. 

The most political part of this entire situation now, involves the segment of people that refuse to get vaccinated.   Get the message to and talk to those people.  They're the ones keeping us from sailing.

Let the June cruises sail and hope that the infection rates in each state drop...if no issues, that will send the biggest message to the CDC and Washington.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have had posts deleted, as well. Typically, it is another poster and not the Host that complains to the Moderator. This is not the CCP and free speech is still a right we have and hope to keep. Thank goodness we have Hosts willing to do the job for us here. I am grateful to have them.

Yes, I agree it's generally another poster reporting. BUT free speech is not a right here on CC, there are many things that can't be talked about. Actually the tenor of this thread is going exactly against one of the things not allowed to be discussed. This is the most discussion I have ever seen concerning moderation here. I expect it to disappear, but for the most part many things have been allowed in the last few months that weren't historically. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, micheleg said:

The most political part of this entire situation now, involves the segment of people that refuse to get vaccinated.

There's a lot of reasons people aren't getting vaccinated, not all of them political. Some of it medical, some religious, some ignorance.  I personally agree with you, I had my second shot about a month ago. At this point it's not the pandemic that would keep me from cruising, it's the hoops that people are having to jump through to do it. I'd go in a minute if I could just book a cruise, book a flight, show up at the ship and have fun. Doesn't seem that's happening yet. 

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, micheleg said:

Everyone's got their opinions, every politician is on one side of the other, the CLIA has to look out for everything in their charter, my cruise line friends have been out of work and money for over a year, and we sit here hoping our next cruise doesn't get cancelled, yadda yadda. 

The most political part of this entire situation now, involves the segment of people that refuse to get vaccinated.   Get the message to and talk to those people.  They're the ones keeping us from sailing.

Let the June cruises sail and hope that the infection rates in each state drop...if no issues, that will send the biggest message to the CDC and Washington.

What happens if it goes up? If significant, that would be the end of cruising as that shutdown would be a long one and adding to the current debt, the lines would fold. Are you willing to risk it?

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

What happens if it goes up? If significant, that would be the end of cruising as that shutdown would be a long one and adding to the current debt, the lines would fold. Are you willing to risk it?

The only reason it's going to go up is because people refuse to get vaccinated, continue to participate in super spreader events, stop wearing masks, etc. (I am not talking about the ones that cannot because of medical or religious reasons). 

As a participant in one of the first Clinical Trials, and was willing to risk my life (not only because I also felt it was my patriotic duty to the US) to ensure that the world will have a safe and effective vaccine, I take it as a personal insult from those that either refuse vaccination or deny that this virus even exists.  Stop placating what is really the issue here.  The percentages of infection must go down and the cruise lines need to prove they can do this.  It's the people that are hindering us from sailing.  Not the CDC.  

Edited by micheleg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, micheleg said:

The only reason it's going to go up is because people refuse to get vaccinated, continue to participate in super spreader events, stop wearing masks, etc. (I am not talking about the ones that cannot because of medical or religious reasons). 

As a participant in one of the first Clinical Trials, and was willing to risk my life (not only because I also felt it was my patriotic duty to the US) to ensure that the world will have a safe and effective vaccine, I take it as a personal insult from those that either refuse vaccination or deny that this virus even exists.  Stop placating what is really the issue here.  The percentages of infection must go down and the cruise lines need to prove they can do this.  It's the people that are hindering us from sailing.  Not the CDC.  

Thank you for your selflessness in helping to eradicate this virus (or at least take a stab (no pun intended) at it.  It could have been dangerous for you.  I agree with all you posted.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, NMTraveller said:

Post a link to your Canadian legislators and we can contact them too.  Should we correspond in English or French?  🙂

We have a message for Mr. Trudeau:

M. Gorbachev, faites tomber ce mur !

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We have a message for Mr. Trudeau:

M. Gorbachev, faites tomber ce mur !

IMO....it's best to keep your politics on your side of the border.  We're doing ok over here and the northern wall is working so far.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Bit of history here.  Although Cruise Critic now has a '.co.uk' branch, it originated as a Chat Room on AOL.  That is America On-Line.

Are you suggesting that Canadians, Australians, Germans, etc (all of whom I see are posting) have no business having an opinion on this board and that perhaps those in the UK should stick to their designated website?  We all cruise this line and as far as most of us see it, we have every right to chime in when and if we feel like sharing.  But keep politics out of it....IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Are you suggesting that Canadians, Australians, Germans, etc (all of whom I see are posting) have no business having an opinion on this board and that perhaps those in the UK should stick to their designated website?  We all cruise this line and as far as most of us see it, we have every right to chime in when and if we feel like sharing.  But keep politics out of it....IMO.

That was a very surprising implication coming from a host.