Monday Mar 29, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day, Smoke and Mirrors Day, and Piano Day

Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one -- Brad Paisley

Meal suggestion for today - Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry

Drink of the Day - Candy Cane Jell-O Shots

Wine of the day - Birichino 2018 Besson Vineyard Old Vines Grenache (Central Coast) Central Coast

Port of the Day - Rijeka Croatia

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/2
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/1

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Freeport
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0329World.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

yesterday due to the "pending approval" problem, I put the content of the Daily up separately. Because several thought that was a good idea, it has been placed at www.halfacts.com/daily today and should be each day going forward. The maps are not included there.

Rich

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Monday, Rich.  Here's  a salute to Mom & Pop stores.  I dabbled with Piano but no success whatsoever.  Never been to Croatia.  I'll pass on the smoke and mirrors and stir fry.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petite Filet, and Baked Alaska, as enjoyed on MS Zaandam March 29, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes29.jpg

Today's care list:

Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

Suez canal

Nashville flooding

Rest in Peace Krazy Kruizers

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

garlictown back home and Covid free

Ingenuity of Dailyites

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  It's the start of a new week, hope it's a good one.

We like to support mom and pop businesses. 

I sometimes feel that a lot of what happens is smoke and mirrors, not a lot of truth from some.

Wish I could play the piano, but ...

The dinner suggestions sound good.

The drink of the day sounds like a Christmas special.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Never been to Rijeka Croatia, so I hope to see lots of pictures.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Sending prayers for everyone and a cheer for all who have something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone!

I like celebrating Mom and Pop businesses.  My motto is to buy local unless I can't find it.  That changed a little during the pandemic as I was limiting my time out in stores.  But, for the most part, I have continued to follow that.  

Today I'll hit the pool this morning and then I have an eye appointment this afternoon.   I'm way overdue there, but I'll blame that on the pandemic.  

The meal today sounds good. Roy's alternate sounds good as well.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/quick-chicken-broccoli-stir-fry/

Quick Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Monday Morning.  Always try to buy locally.  Tried piano when I was young but sadly quit.  Love Brad Paisley's quote! The meal is one of our favorites.  We've never been to Croatia but I watch the program Down Below about yachting and one of the seasons was in Croatia.  Beautiful setting.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and still wear your mask.

Candy Cane Jello shots:

Ingredients
For red layer
2 packages cherry Jell-O
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. vodka
For white layer
1 c. vodka
2 envelopes gelatin
1 c. boiling water
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
Crushed candy canes, for garnish

Directions

Spray a small loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl or measuring cup, combine cherry Jell-O with boiling water and whisk to combine. Let sit 2 minutes, then whisk in 1/2 cup vodka. Set aside.
In another large bowl or measuring cup, combine 1 cup vodka and gelatin and let sit 2 minutes. Add water and stir until gelatin dissolves completely. Pour in sweetened condensed milk and whisk to combine.
Pour half of the red mixture, about 1 cup into loaf pan. Freeze 20 minutes until firm and add 1 cup of the white mixture. Repeat twice more, letting firm 20 minutes between each addition until you have four layers, then refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Remove from loaf pan and cut into squares. Top with crushed candy canes and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 7.48.30 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

Happy Birthday to your DW 🎂 🥳 

Thank you and also all other who gave likes to my post.

She was so young, just out of college when we met and then married less than a year later.

She now has wrinkles, but is still beautiful. (Of course I am older also.)

We first did a cruise for our 25th anniversary way back in 2002!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Post formerly known as the Daily, Rich! Thank you for adding an alternative posting site! Who knew you would need a Plan B?

Not too many Mom & Pop stores left around here. Love the sound of the piano, but never learned to play. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!  What a wonderful quote! The meal sounds great. I might tuck the drink recipe away for the holidays. 

Today is a bit overcast. My pic is of the setting moon during Bindi’s wake up walk! There was a thin cloud layer that gave it an almost mystical quality. I apologize for the size, but any attempt to reduce the size knocked it on its side.

@ontheweb Happy Birthday to your DW & welcome to the Daily! 🥂

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This Grenache has excellent ratings. One consumer said it made him feel happy when he drank it - of course he did not say how much he drank! Several online distributors with prices starting at $23.99. And it has considerable “cherriosity”!

Winemaker Notes

#25 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

George and Martha Besson’s old Grenache vineyard near Gilroy is one of the best sites with which Birichino works. It could be nothing but Grenache, yet tastes like no other Grenache. While the wines ultimately revert to their highly refined center of gravity as they resolve some time 4 or 5 years after bottling - an elegant composition of tertiary spices, fruit liqueur and alpine botanical extracts - Besson Grenache generally comes out of the gate dominated by one of those elements. The 2018 falls squarely in the liqueur corner, the effect of the rested fraction of the grapes being at least temporarily buried beneath the considerable cherriosity. WE94 

Wine Enthusiast: From vines planted in 1910, this wine impresses on multiple levels. Aromas of dark berry, strawberry, dried thyme and turned soil are both rustic and refined. The palate is framed by fresh acidity and a delightful rocky minerality, which give depth to the cranberry, raspberry and herbal flavors. Editors' Choice.

6940E8FA-A48A-4D13-B822-0F3E53AE55AB.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Post formerly known as the Daily, Rich!

I did a poor job of "Cut & Paste" this morning -- twice! Please forgive and the correct title should be back tomorrow!

• Like 14

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

I did a poor job of "Cut & Paste" this morning -- twice! Please forgive and the correct title should be back tomorrow!

Sometimes I hate myself!

My attempts to be funny, or tease a bit come across as criticism.  And YOU do NOT owe anyone an apology, Rich! Least of all me. 

Thank you for everything you do. 

• Like 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I noticed you changed the title - was that to try to avoid another “pending approval” LOL 😉 😝 

Love the collection of days.  We are big supporters of mom & pop/small business owners in our community.  It’s amazing how inventive some of them have become in the pandemic times.  In fact, our little market has increased in business I am sure because of there safety methods and some of the inventive things they have done.

E60F8F5A-EDAB-451E-9A0C-1393620F75D5.jpeg.a26f2a28bea79da3eea476a87d9ae13a.jpeg

I know I am shopping there even more because it feels safer and the excellent quality.

98C2646D-334D-4CF2-A12C-4E506546A828.gif.e76864ac679751c8d9cf5514829183a0.gif

I know Smoke and Mirrors Day is supposed to be about magic but whenever I hear it, I think of this:

7DB14F07-5496-452F-9A12-1BBE187EFBD4.jpeg.7c7817683d8618af4993adfd7eb644be.jpeg

Love the piano.  

EA121007-95CD-426F-A7AA-91DEB73144D6.thumb.png.c4044927a047f9b5f6d0c9c8e815af0c.png

Played it for many years until there was no piano readily available.

97897E88-1CFD-4728-8A19-2E802276310B.jpeg.4888fd6ee0217d261a544d535b99d6da.jpeg

Love the quote by Paisley - something to live by!

Stir fry sounds good - not sure if it on the menu tonight or left over lasagna.  I’ll leave the choice to DH

We have been to Croatia but not the port of the day.  If you happen to hit an itinerary that includes Croatia, I recommend it.  The country is beautiful, the people friendly and their history and culture is very interesting.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a big 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Haave a great Monday everyone!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 27

6 minutes ago, richwmn said:

No need to ask for forgiveness.  We appreciate everything you do here 🙂 I thought it was a deliberate change in an attempt to fool the AI 😉   Disregard my comment in my post, please.

• Like 14

Today's sunrise is the only one from a 2005 land trip to Africa with a safari and a journey on Rovos Rail from Johannesburg to Cape Town.  On March 29 I was in Cape Town before flying home the next day:

IMG_0154.JPG.f7257df7530898fd865473186bd9b988.JPG

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sometimes I hate myself!

My attempts to be funny, or tease a bit come across as criticism.  And YOU do NOT owe anyone an apology, Rich! Least of all me. 

Thank you for everything you do. 

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

No need to ask for forgiveness.  We appreciate everything you do here 🙂 I thought it was a deliberate change in an attempt to fool the AI 😉   Disregard my comment in my post, please.

And I noticed it right away but forgot that there is now a way to edit the title. A little of the CRS taking hold.

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Clever of you @richwmn to alter the title, and to have a back-up plan!  We love supporting small businesses, and wish they'd been open during the pandemic, rather than the big box stores. 

DH and I once went to a masquerade party - he had cigarette packages all over his sweater, while I had a mirror on the front and back of mine - yes, smoke and mirrors!  I always enjoyed the piano and took lessons when I was 5 years old, but had to quit a couple of years later because we didn't have the money, nor the space for a piano in the house.  Maybe I'll buy an electronic keyboard and take it up again. . . . you're never too old to learn!

We have only been to Dubrovnik in Croatia, not today's port, but I agree with others, it is a beautiful country, one we'd love to return to one day.

Yesterday I packed up my sewing supplies and put them away - they've dominated our dining room table for the past 12 months (with a break for Christmas), and after sewing more than 1,000 masks, I'm taking a break.  With spring on the horizon (after today's predicted blizzard), there will be things to do outdoors with plants, decorating, etc., that will take up my time.  I've got a stockpile of just under 100 masks of all sizes so if people need some, I have them to give away, and may make more in the fall if they are still required.  It took about 3 hours to put away all the fabrics, cutting boards, rotary cutters, irons, etc., but we have our dining room back.

I like the idea of a chicken stir fry, but there's a container of chili thawing for tonight - with some rice and a side salad, that will be sustaining us on a cold, blustery night on the "frozen tundra".  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good Monday Morning.  Always try to buy locally.  Tried piano when I was young but sadly quit.  Love Brad Paisley's quote! The meal is one of our favorites.  We've never been to Croatia but I watch the program Down Below about yachting and one of the seasons was in Croatia.  Beautiful setting.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and still wear your mask.

Candy Cane Jello shots:

Ingredients
For red layer
2 packages cherry Jell-O
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. vodka
For white layer
1 c. vodka
2 envelopes gelatin
1 c. boiling water
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
Crushed candy canes, for garnish

Directions

Spray a small loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl or measuring cup, combine cherry Jell-O with boiling water and whisk to combine. Let sit 2 minutes, then whisk in 1/2 cup vodka. Set aside.
In another large bowl or measuring cup, combine 1 cup vodka and gelatin and let sit 2 minutes. Add water and stir until gelatin dissolves completely. Pour in sweetened condensed milk and whisk to combine.
Pour half of the red mixture, about 1 cup into loaf pan. Freeze 20 minutes until firm and add 1 cup of the white mixture. Repeat twice more, letting firm 20 minutes between each addition until you have four layers, then refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Remove from loaf pan and cut into squares. Top with crushed candy canes and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 7.48.30 AM.png

Wow, That is involved!

• Like 7