How about condensing all the COVID conversations into one thread?

Remember when we used to talk about cruising?  

I'm guessing that many of us are getting weary of wading through so many threads about the virus, and miss talking about cruising.

We are already being bombarded with the COVID issue in the news and on social media.

How about one thread for all the conversations about COVID? (it worked for the smoking issue).

Just a thought.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Another 12 months and they will all have slipped down the pages to be replaced by multiple threads about tips, dress standards, robes in the Lido and quality of MDR food.

Looking forward to it already!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I have actually clicked a couple of threads and suggested they are duplicates and requested merges but nothing happened so I have to think CC likes it the way it is.

@VMax1700is completely correct.  The tone will change once cruising is starting.  Covid is infectious - not just physically but in what people discuss.  People want to travel and are reaching out for “will it happen”, “how will it happen”.  You can’t really blame them.

By the way @mightycruisequeenit looks like you have the queen sticking her finger (or something else) up her nose in your avatar.  Think you could change it?  If you are going to use the queen, could it be a tad more respectful?  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Another 12 months and they will all have slipped down the pages to be replaced by multiple threads about tips, dress standards, robes in the Lido and quality of MDR food.

Looking forward to it already!

The other day I was reminiscing about all the chatter about straws and packets of sweetener that were hot topics.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I have actually clicked a couple of threads and suggested they are duplicates and requested merges but nothing happened so I have to think CC likes it the way it is.

@VMax1700is completely correct.  The tone will change once cruising is starting.  Covid is infectious - not just physically but in what people discuss.  People want to travel and are reaching out for “will it happen”, “how will it happen”.  You can’t really blame them.

By the way @mightycruisequeenit looks like you have the queen sticking her finger (or something else) up her nose in your avatar.  Think you could change it?  If you are going to use the queen, could it be a tad more respectful?  Thanks 🙂 

I think you’re right about the finger....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I noticed the pic, too and wondered who would even do that?  Do they think it’s amusing?  SMH 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I noticed the pic, too and wondered who would even do that?  Do they think it’s amusing?  SMH 

At the very least, in these times of enhanced awareness of personal hygiene, combining that name with that avatar gives the impression that the OP picks her nose in the MDR. Probably not the visual image intended, but definitely what comes across. A rebranding could be wise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh, I didn't make the avatar myself.  If you google "Queen picking her nose", you'll find this one, and at least a half dozen other photos of her picking her nose.   It surprised me too; I would figure she'd have a staff of servants to pick it for her. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Oh, I didn't make the avatar myself.  If you google "Queen picking her nose", you'll find this one, and at least a half dozen other photos of her picking her nose.   It surprised me too; I would figure she'd have a staff of servants to pick it for her. 😉 

I didn’t imply you made it yourself.

I was commenting that there are better pics of the queen you could do without disrespecting her.  Obviously that is falling on deaf ears.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mightycruisequeen said:

This has been my avatar for over 10 years.   I didn't intend it to be offensive.

Sorry that some of you have just now decided you don't like it.

Maybe we all need a cruise a lot more than we thought?

Just speaking for me, I haven't seen it before, but I do think it's in bad taste.  It's not a case of "now decided" at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billbunger said:

Here we go, cancel culture raises it’s ugly head. 

No, just some cultures place a high regard on their monarchy.  Should not be to much to ask others to respect that. In the interim, one can Ignore the poster and never see their posts again.  Another option is to let the Mods decide.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

on the question of the mightycruisequeen avatar. if you enlarge the image it looks more like she is pointing toward the camera rather than picking her nose. With that in mind and based on the way it looks I might chose another picture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billbunger said:

Here we go, cancel culture raises it’s ugly head. 

I don’t see it that way at all.  Somethings need to be cancelled if they’re offensive, disrespectful,  mean,  rude, prejudiced, etc.  This is a forum for cruisers all over the world, not just the US.  We’re here to unite over our favourite pastime, not to disrespect each other’s culture.  There are lots of places on the internet where you can post these types of pics and they’re acceptable.  Just not here on Cruise Critic.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I don’t see it that way at all.  Somethings need to be cancelled if they’re offensive, disrespectful,  mean,  rude, prejudiced, etc.  This is a forum for cruisers all over the world, not just the US.  We’re here to unite over our favourite pastime, not to disrespect each other’s culture.  There are lots of places on the internet where you can post these types of pics and they’re acceptable.  Just not here on Cruise Critic.

Agree.  It is offensive and not appropriate for this board.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Then how about 

22 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

many of us are getting weary of wading through so many threads about the virus, and miss talking about cruising.

How about one thread for all the conversations about COVID? (it worked for the smoking issue).

Then how about just ONE thread on Cruising?

The smoking issue had no responses for a month & half... worked great!

• Haha 2

As I sit here reading this thread it is late Wednesday afternoon. The last thread on page 1 was last posted to on Monday evening---almost two full days. 
When ships were actively sailing the seas with passengers this forum was much more active. with new threads and new posts, to the extent that When I signed on in the morning, I had to start on page 2. 

There is no compelling need to combine threads at this point. It's not as if additional threads are taking up valuable room in the forum. 

(and yes, the avatar is rude and insulting. it would be gracious of the OP to change it.) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, RuthC said:

As I sit here reading this thread it is late Wednesday afternoon. The last thread on page 1 was last posted to on Monday evening---almost two full days. 
When ships were actively sailing the seas with passengers this forum was much more active. with new threads and new posts, to the extent that When I signed on in the morning, I had to start on page 2. 

There is no compelling need to combine threads at this point. It's not as if additional threads are taking up valuable room in the forum. 

(and yes, the avatar is rude and insulting. it would be gracious of the OP to change it.) 

Thank you, Ruth

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bcummin said:

Just like we cannot do or eat everything offered on a cruise ship, we do not have to read every single thread that is posted here.

Barbara

I might not be able to EAT everything offered on a cruise ship, but it sure is fun trying:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1