Princess Cruises change passage of contract

X5RAY

Beware passage of contract has changed since booking in March 2021. At the time of booking the only requirement of insurance was medical cover but now you have to have cancellation and curtailment to the full value of your cruise!

5 minutes ago, X5RAY said:

Beware passage of contract has changed since booking in March 2021. At the time of booking the only requirement of insurance was medical cover but now you have to have cancellation and curtailment to the full value of your cruise!

Researched a year travel policy yesterday and  that may be the route to go for those with multiple trips booked. 

The more insurance I have the better I feel. We have purchased insurance for all our cruises and that is 83 times each just for Princess. We used the insurance policy a few times for cancellations and received all our money except the price of insurance. We had 2 cruises planned in 2020 and we called our TA and cancelled both when we were aware of the Covid virus on the Diamond. Insurance is a good thing .

• Like 2

I don't understand.  Why would Princess care if I had cancellation insurance?  If I cancel, I am responsible.  Or is this about them cancelling?  or a 3rd party - like a foreign government shutting down tourism in a country?

Don

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

I don't understand.  Why would Princess care if I had cancellation insurance?  If I cancel, I am responsible.  Or is this about them cancelling?  or a 3rd party - like a foreign government shutting down tourism in a country?

Don

Things work differently over in the UK and probably the EU. The regulations on the travel industry seem to be very much different than here in North America. For instance our UK friends can't refare as easily as we can. Seems there must be some requirement over there for travel insurance, one we here in the States (not sure about Canada) don't have.

Woo hoo - just noticed this is my 4000th post. Wa wa wa

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I don't see this change in the US contracts.

It's likely because the UK and Canada have socialized health care that doesn't cover them outside of their own country.  I booked a cruise with P&O and had to show them proof of my US health insurance that covers me worldwide, as well as travel insurance.

I've never traveled without purchasing insurance, started doing it when my parents were older.  Now I'm older and doing it for myself.  

When I moved to Wisconsin, took a 5 year break from cruising, so no posting.  20 years and way behind you folks! 😄 

Edited by susancruzs

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Only 1000 more and you get to join the next "club".🤣

And I see only a few hours later, and you are already down to 999 more. Reminds me of a song about barrels of beer.🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, farmermd said:

25+ cruises with no insurance. With the money I’ve saved I can take 2 or 3 cruises for “free”!  

I am with you.  46 cruises totaling about 1000 days and have never bought insurance.  I feel that once I have paid for a cruise and for some reason I cannot take it no big deal - I will enjoy myself at home.  However, I did get reimbursed for unused plane tickets and the cruise that left us stranded in Cambodia last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I am with you.  46 cruises totaling about 1000 days and have never bought insurance.  I feel that once I have paid for a cruise and for some reason I cannot take it no big deal - I will enjoy myself at home.  However, I did get reimbursed for unused plane tickets and the cruise that left us stranded in Cambodia last year.

I understand the part about if you end up not taking the cruise, it is money you would have spent, and you felt you could afford, but what about possible medical costs including evacuation?

I once had a misstep in which I broke my ankle. Luckily it was not on a cruise but on a trip within our state, but 100+ miles from home. What if that had happened on one of our European cruises? What kind of expense would we have incurred before I could get home? Is that a type of expense none of us could afford?

12 hours ago, farmermd said:

25+ cruises with no insurance. With the money I’ve saved I can take 2 or 3 cruises for “free”!  

Hopefully, you have put all that you would have paid in safe place for the time when (and I hope you don't) need it for a situation that would have been covered.

We are good to have to pay it every time for our over 50 voyages just for the peace of mind it affords.  We have used it a couple of times and it has paid for itself each time.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It's likely because the UK and Canada have socialized health care that doesn't cover them outside of their own country.  I booked a cruise with P&O and had to show them proof of my US health insurance that covers me worldwide, as well as travel insurance.

It is my understanding that US Medicare also is not good outside of the country.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

It is my understanding that US Medicare also is not good outside of the country.

Most US insurance is not valid outside of the country.

I have been on too many ships where passengers encountered emergencies.

Once the ships Doctors were seeking passengers with specific blood types to help with a transfusion on a TA crossing. 

• Like 1

We are Canadian and our health coverage is for in country only. We buy extra insurance for cancellation and out of country medical. Thanks goodness we do! On one cruise my husband fell and injured his leg..blood clots formed. We spent 6 days doctoring on the ship, had a five hour ambulance ride into Lima, Peru and then he spent 28 days in a hospital there.  I was in a nearby hotel. He had surgeries and skin grafting.  He could not fly home commercially as he needed to be completely flat. We were flown home by air ambulance. He then spent two more weeks in hospital in our city. Our insurance covered everything medical, as well as the costs on the ship and my hotel costs. Needless to say, we highly recommend getting insurance coverage!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I understand that Medicare doesn't cover overseas or shipboard medical care.  As a retired Navy person we also have Tricare For Life, which we have been able to use for that.  Don't think it would cover an air ambulance, though.

10 hours ago, ciana said:

We are Canadian and our health coverage is for in country only. We buy extra insurance for cancellation and out of country medical. Thanks goodness we do! On one cruise my husband fell and injured his leg..blood clots formed. We spent 6 days doctoring on the ship, had a five hour ambulance ride into Lima, Peru and then he spent 28 days in a hospital there.  I was in a nearby hotel. He had surgeries and skin grafting.  He could not fly home commercially as he needed to be completely flat. We were flown home by air ambulance. He then spent two more weeks in hospital in our city. Our insurance covered everything medical, as well as the costs on the ship and my hotel costs. Needless to say, we highly recommend getting insurance coverage!!

That’s great coverage hoping you can advise what company you use.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ciana said:

Please share what company, type of Policy you bought. What Province?

15 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Correct, but we have a Medicare Advantage Plan which covers emergency treatment when out of the country.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, Mud_Shark said:

This is just a guess.  Is it possible that Princess is looking to shift responsibility for refunds from cancelled cruises onto the insurance company?