Eurodam makes the start with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

On 4/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, Mary229 said:

I know Canada is far different geographically than the US but I am surprised at how slow the vaccine delivery has been in Canada.  It would seem by now the cities, at least, would be heavily vaccinated.

And only 25 million people..

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

And only 25 million people..

Try 38 million.

Some of our vaccination centers  in urban areas have been sitting almost empty.    Some people either do not know they are open OR are concerned about the vaccine type.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Eighty five percent of those 38 million people live within 100 miles of the US border.

From friends along the border, in Arizona and in Florida I have hear unsubstantiated claims that Canadians are coming to the US for the vaccine.  Maybe they are overstating as perhaps the Canadians are staying the winter and getting the vaccine while here.  

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

From friends along the border, in Arizona and in Florida I have hear unsubstantiated claims that Canadians are coming to the US for the vaccine.  Maybe they are overstating as perhaps the Canadians are staying the winter and getting the vaccine while here.  

?

do you mean the Mexican border?  

Just now, bennybear said:

?

do you mean the Mexican border?  

No, I mean the US border.  Down here in the south and southwest we have lots of Canadian visitors in the cooler months.  We are not closed to tourists so I am just hearing from friends that Canadians are getting their vaccines in Florida and Arizona particularly - just anecdotal, no substantiation. 

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No, I mean the US border.  Down here in the south and southwest we have lots of Canadian visitors in the cooler months.  We are not closed to tourists so I am just hearing from friends that Canadians are getting their vaccines in Florida and Arizona particularly - just anecdotal, no substantiation. 

You quoted friends along the border in Florida and Arizona, I am confused as that is nowhere near the Canadian US border that Iancal referred to that you quoted.  So still not sure what you mean? 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They are.  But my understanding is that the Canadians who are getting vaccines in the US are homeowners and are there for the winter months.  I expect that they pay property taxes and likely file a US tax return (at least my parents had to file a US tax return for the time period that they owned property in the US many years ago).   It was in the Canadian news earlier this year.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, iancal said:

Eighty five percent of those 38 million people live within 100 miles of the US border.

I live outside of Los Angeles and had to travel over 100 miles one way to get vaccinated back in February. My wife just received her second shot and only had to travel 5 miles across town. My daughter received her first shot last week and went to the CVS down the street. Things are getting easier if not better. 

• Like 1

A great deal of thread creep here. Getting back on topic, we were scheduled on the Eurodam for the July 24th Alaska cruise. I spoke with my PCC last week and he was surprised to hear that the Eurodam is in Europe. We spoke about final payment which is scheduled for the 25th of this month. At the time he had no new information to offer other that they are trying to get Canada to let us anchor outside Victoria without anybody going ashore. I received an email today saying that our cruise has been transferred to the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was scheduled to do north and south sailings out of Vancouver which were cancelled months ago. Currently the ship is located outside of La Paz, Mexico. The email stated that we will be assigned new cabins within thirty days. A new ship, a new room, and a different itinerary. Sounds like a triple guarantee to me. I will probably go ahead and make final payment since we are scheduled for an Antarctica cruise on the Westerdam in December. When the Alaska cruise is cancelled, we will roll the money forward. I'm waiting to see if the FCC will be 100%, 110%, or 125%. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jakers said:

A great deal of thread creep here. Getting back on topic, we were scheduled on the Eurodam for the July 24th Alaska cruise. I spoke with my PCC last week and he was surprised to hear that the Eurodam is in Europe. We spoke about final payment which is scheduled for the 25th of this month. At the time he had no new information to offer other that they are trying to get Canada to let us anchor outside Victoria without anybody going ashore. I received an email today saying that our cruise has been transferred to the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was scheduled to do north and south sailings out of Vancouver which were cancelled months ago. Currently the ship is located outside of La Paz, Mexico. The email stated that we will be assigned new cabins within thirty days. A new ship, a new room, and a different itinerary. Sounds like a triple guarantee to me. I will probably go ahead and make final payment since we are scheduled for an Antarctica cruise on the Westerdam in December. When the Alaska cruise is cancelled, we will roll the money forward. I'm waiting to see if the FCC will be 100%, 110%, or 125%. 

Thank you for getting this thread back on topic. I am not surprised that your PCC was surprised to hear the Eurodam is in Europe, so no way will it be doing the Alaska cruise if Victoria is allowed for foreign port purposes.   When I told our PCC that Westerdam was hanging out near Los Angeles she expressed surprise. HAL does not tell the PCCs these things clearly.  The last time I talked to her she said that officially HAL had not decided yet about Venice or Athens, nor if the Eurodam would replace Westerdam for our September eastern Med cruise.

That's really something about the new ship, a new room, and a different itinerary for your Alaska cruise originally on the Eurodam.  I agree with your assumption that it will be cancelled.   It's only a question of WHEN.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 12:11 PM, VMax1700 said:

HAL cancelled Alaska cruises out of Vancouver, but as far as I remember they didn't cancel Seattle departures, but suspended sale of them waiting on negotiations with CDC. 

In order to sail out of Seattle HAL would have get a waver to not make the required stop in a foreign port for all ships not registered in the USA.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:11 AM, Himself said:

In order to sail out of Seattle HAL would have get a waver to not make the required stop in a foreign port for all ships not registered in the USA.

Back in June of 2018 we were on the Zaandam for a 14 day cruise out of Seattle. The last day, we were supposed to stop in Victoria. It was the only Canadian port on our schedule. Before we could dock, the captain announced that we would be unable to enter the channel due to high winds. Rumor had it that the Canadians would not let us dock due to a norovirus outbreak during the cruise, Nevertheless, we spent the entire day anchored outside the harbor. We all wondered how this would affect the PVSA, but no explanation was given. So, it is possible.

My PCC said that HAL must have some cause to believe that Alaska cruising is possible in July, otherwise they wouldn't go to the trouble of switching to a new ship. I made final payment today. At this point all I have to risk is port fees and taxes which will be returned if the cruise doesn't happen. Any FCC's that I used will just be rolled into the next cruise. Currently there are only about 200 passengers confirmed for this cruise. Somebody will have to go first, it might as well be me.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

B2B's permitted but pax must be vaccinated! 👍

and have proof of vaccination      I wonder what is acceptable proof of vaccination?

A record of vaccination card issued by a national/state/local health department and showing dates of vaccinating and whom administered. No different than it has ever been when vaccines are required for travel. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, iancal said:

Try 38 million.

Some of our vaccination centers  in urban areas have been sitting almost empty.    Some people either do not know they are open OR are concerned about the vaccine type.

Is that 38 million all Canadians, or those eligible for vaccines...prior to the announcement of kids 12-15 are now eligible?

On 5/5/2021 at 12:31 PM, VMax1700 said:

B2B's permitted but pax must be vaccinated! 👍

and have proof of vaccination      I wonder what is acceptable proof of vaccination?

For now HAL is saying they will accept the CDC cards that vaccinated people are getting in the US. The bigger question will be if the EU will accept the cards in light of some form of electronic passport to enter the EU to board a cruise ship?

4 minutes ago, Domer81mpc said:

Many believed you.  It was the ones calling it fake news that have egg -- or perhaps shakshuka -- on their faces. 

We just wanted proof which was never provided even though we asked.  They could have easily included a screenshot.

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We just wanted proof which was never provided even though we asked.  They could have easily included a screenshot.

Proof was provided, but on a different thread.   A link to the Port website showing the scheduled visits.

It was easy to find.

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

Proof was provided, but on a different thread.   A link to the Port website showing the scheduled visits.

It was easy to find.

I left the thread early on after asking for a link.  I tried an agency search to no avail.  But to come back weeks and weeks later is a bit.......

Just now, Mary229 said:

I left the thread early on after asking for a link.  I tried an agency search to no avail.  But to come back weeks and weeks later is a bit.......

weeks and weeks later?  like when HAL announced the cruises and confirmed the original post?

Just now, VMax1700 said:

weeks and weeks later?  like when HAL announced the cruises and confirmed the original post?

I don't think I revisited then either, I can go back and look.  Initially someone was concerned that their Alaska cruise would be canceled and I think my comment was you need confirmation before reacting.  This criticism showed up on my feed and I thought I would answer it since I was one who asked for proof. I only sought proof because telling people something without documentation can upset them