The Daily for Thursday Apr 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is All is Ours Day, Draw a Picture of a Bird Day, and Zoo Lover's Day

"All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific. - Jane Wagner"

Meal suggestion for today - Cheesy Bow Tie Chicken

Drink of the Day - Mango Strawberry Daiquri

Wine of the day - Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri - Italy

Port of the Day - Nagasaki Japan

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Zaandam Destination Augusta IT eta 4/10

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/11
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/8

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0408World.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I hope  All is Ours and Salute our Zoos as well as those who can draw.  (like @DeeniEncinitas).  Love Wagner's quote.  I've been to Nagasaki once but it was back in 2004 on the former Crystal Harmony.   Bow Tie Chicken sounds nice but I won't make it.  Not sure what I'll be eating after my dental filling.  My alternative is Caramelized Orange and Grapefruit Cocktail, Chilled Strawberry Bisque and Chicken Breast with Israeli Couscous as served on MS Amsterdam April 8, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

Cruisin Terri trying to resolve identity theft

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

Zaandam crewman evacuated with appendicitis at Gibraltar

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nicolock Paving of Frederick MD sheltering a wounded Navy Corpsman from a deranged gunman

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Good report from mamaofami’s dermatologist

A great birthday celebration for norseh20

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another nice spring day in the forecast for us today.  I'm looking to get out and door some more work in the yard, so much to do.

I'm not much of an artist, @DeeniEncinitasis great.

Interesting quote.

The dinner suggestion and drink of the day sound good to me, hope the wine is too.

I've never been to Japan so I look forward to seeing pictures.  Thanks in advance to all who share.

Sending prayers to all who need them, and a cheer to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 17

Good morning, everyone!

Another warm day here, but we are expecting some rain.   I am totally excited.  I am finally getting my pedicure.  My feet are going to be so happy.  

Hmm, All is Ours Day.  I'm not sure how you celebrate that beyond my pedicure.   I guess that will have to do.  I will leave it to @DeeniEncinitasto draw the birds.  She is way more talented than I could pretend to be.   I do like the zoo and we have a nice one here.  

Dinner today sounds good, but it is way too heavy on the carbs for me.  That would put me right to sleep.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheesy-bow-tie-chicken/

1-1/2 cups: 453 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.

Cheesy-Bow-Tie-Chicken_exps122743_SD143205D01_31_6bC_RMS.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  The drink of the day would be a delight along with today’s meal suggestion.  I guess one of my cats will be celebrating herself today.  The groomer is coming over to give her a spa treatment.  Once done she struts around the house.

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

I’ll celebrate the All is Ours Day by appreciating nature and the blessings we have.  I can’t draw worth a hill of beans but here is a picture of our Mallard couple on our neighbours lawn.  Sadly they started moving so not the best.  They return every year.  

5B685B69-8F0F-4CBA-9E0F-0024F838FF5B.thumb.jpeg.22db3c183b935e4279bf62e589d5d7df.jpeg

A sure sign of spring.  At least the ducks don’t do damage to our gardens:

D2933035-BFF9-4FF4-BD2D-B8FE4766CA6E.jpeg.b20042a0ee9537ccdb1692403c779661.jpeg

LOL on that quote by Jane Wagner.  

The meal of the day suggestion is a good one.  I made a lamb pasta dish and we have leftovers so I’m betting DH would like to have that tonight 😉 

Of course, if I were really nice, I’d make him empanadas.  Today is also National Empanada Day.  If anyone wants to celebrate - here is Holland America’s recipe for empanadas:

2BF311B2-2C1C-44E8-93AF-24EA353DB1E7.thumb.jpeg.7440b865aaa4edf9a0dfbfa01026c795.jpeg

AEEC3EDB-2BCA-4669-A5DC-E20CC093B4CD.thumb.jpeg.c493293fca1d774ba4dcd5b9077474d1.jpeg

527B2BA2-43BF-4357-9A74-A74F4EA1FC74.thumb.jpeg.efc748c015c815602c669884f0a68494.jpeg

BD968A49-679A-403B-BD16-87E56C36343C.thumb.jpeg.c8f8db63f09f13cda1a8b5572dd9768f.jpeg

Love the drink of the day - especially on a hot day or even better, on a blue hulled beauty at the sea view pool 😉 

We were scheduled to in Nagasaki last fall.  Sadly that cruise had to be cancelled so I look forward to all the wonderful pictures today.

Finally, I can say I have an appointment for DH for his first “jab” in a couple of weeks 👍 Hopefully mine will follow shortly. 🤞 

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 27

13 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Happy Birthday @StLouisCruisers!

Sandi, hope your new year is filled with love, laughter & great health! 

EC204064-AC34-476A-9BAC-AA374B6A4FEB.jpeg

13 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report!

Happy Birthday @StLouisCruisers!

Thank you!  You must be busy making notes along the way to remember that @cat shepard!  That reminds me, time to open up all the birthday cards from friends and family that are sitting on the mantel waiting for today to come.  And I'd better get in touch with my twin because it's her birthday too.  

I haven't been to Nagasaki yet so will enjoy everyone else's stories and photos.  

Meal of the day looks good, but I will let DH have the last choice for tonight since he's the chef.  There is one piece of birthday cake left over from last weekend so he says he will put a candle on it for me.  DD will be back here tomorrow night on their way home from spring break in FL with her in-laws.  I think we'll pick up some award winning barbecue pulled pork from a restaurant in Zebulon (called Oink Joint) for our dinner tomorrow night so we have plenty of time to visit with them.

Have a great day everyone! 

• Like 21

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  I love Zoo's.  Try to take all ship excursions that include one.  The quote is great!  And so true.  Love the menu and the picture, thank you Debbie.  DH has been to Nagasaki, although not on a cruise.  Flew there for business.  Went to our first out to eat last night since the pandamic began.  It felt so good to be waited on.  Everyone had masks when they walked in and out.  Felt very safe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  So sad about another shooting.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Mango Strawberry Daiquri:

3-4 fresh mangos, peeled and chopped
2 cups frozen strawberry slices
2 cups ice, divided
8 oz rum, divided
2 oz lime juice, divided
4 oz simple syrup, divided
fresh strawberries for garnish

Instructions
In your blender, begin my mixing frozen strawberry slices, 1/2 cup of ice, 4 oz. rum, 1 oz lime juice, and 2 oz simple syrup. Split the strawberry daiquiri mixture between the two glasses, filling them about ½ full. 
Rinse your blender, and add back in mangoes, 1 ½ cups of ice, 4 oz rum, 1 oz lime juice, and 2 oz simple syrup. Blend again. Add the mango daiquiri mixture to the glasses slowly to avoid mixing the colors too much.
Garnish each drink with fresh strawberries and enjoy. You can swirl the drink to get a mixture of the flavors and create a fun color experience.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.49.33 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A very happy combination of days today! Denise, you must have tapped into your psychic powers when you drew that picture of your baby hummingbird well ahead of Draw a bird day.  There are so many wonderful zoos and  wildlife refuges that allow their animals to live a better quality of life - I will celebrate them.

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Great quote. Debbie that meal sounds good, but it does have lots of carbs.  Summer - 4oz of rum in each drink! Wow! 

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I foresee a long walk in Bindi’s future. I might have Mediterranean turkey burgers for supper tonight. We will see. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All vintages of this Italian red blend have spectacular ratings. So look for the best price tag. The reviews focus on the 2017 vintage, and one distributor had it on sale for $219.99. You might find it for less locally. It does sound nice, though. 

Winemaker Notes

This wine is chiseled and sharp with blackberry, ripe cherry, grilled herb and barbecue spice. The aromas flow from the glass in a continuous stream and are all marked by radiant intensity. The mouthfeel is long and powerful. The crisp linearity of the wine's tannic backbone is perfectly measured to the volume and depth of the fruit flavors. Blend: 85 % Cabernet Sauvignon 15 % Cabernet Franc

Pair with rich flavors like braised meats, osso bucco and aged, hard cheeses. 
WE97 Wine Enthusiast:  Aromas of exotic spice, baked plum and French oak mingle with camphor and blue flower on the nose. This boasts extraordinary elegance and freshness despite the hot vintage, delivering flavors of juicy Marasca cherry, spiced blueberry, tobacco and licorice. Velvety, fine-grained tannins provide support while coffee and crushed mint linger on the finish. Drink 2022–2032.

JS96 James Suckling: The balance and beauty to this is impressive, offering sweet, ripe currants and flowers with some crushed-stone and dry-earth undertones. Full-bodied with soft, polished tannins and a long, creamy-textured finish. It’s polished, yet concentrated. Better after 2022, but already very seductive.

WS95 Wine Spectator: A taut, densely wrought red, with black currant, black cherry, iron, wild herb and spice flavors matched to the elegant frame and restrained character. Balanced and long, this has a distinctly Old World feel and looks set to unravel its complex facets slowly. Terrific length. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2022 through 2043.

• Like 21

19 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  I love Zoo's.  Try to take all ship excursions that include one.  The quote is great!  And so true.  Love the menu and the picture, thank you Debbie.  DH has been to Nagasaki, although not on a cruise.  Flew there for business.  Went to our first out to eat last night since the pandamic began.  It felt so good to be waited on.  Everyone had masks when they walked in and out.  Felt very safe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  So sad about another shooting.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Mango Strawberry Daiquri:

3-4 fresh mangos, peeled and chopped
2 cups frozen strawberry slices
2 cups ice, divided
8 oz rum, divided
2 oz lime juice, divided
4 oz simple syrup, divided
fresh strawberries for garnish

Instructions
In your blender, begin my mixing frozen strawberry slices, 1/2 cup of ice, 4 oz. rum, 1 oz lime juice, and 2 oz simple syrup. Split the strawberry daiquiri mixture between the two glasses, filling them about ½ full. 
Rinse your blender, and add back in mangoes, 1 ½ cups of ice, 4 oz rum, 1 oz lime juice, and 2 oz simple syrup. Blend again. Add the mango daiquiri mixture to the glasses slowly to avoid mixing the colors too much.
Garnish each drink with fresh strawberries and enjoy. You can swirl the drink to get a mixture of the flavors and create a fun color experience.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.49.33 AM.png

This sounds good and sweet.

• Like 4

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its another sunny day here and supposed to be around 72. 
   The last zoo I visited was the Cape May County Park zoo. It’s a free zoo within the park system. They do accept donations. 
  The zoo is highly recommended.

The additional celebration today is KDAM birthday. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18