Question on 50% Capacity Bookings

rabin1

Hi

Does anyone know or have any idea how they will do the 50% capacity of the sailings? I kinda don't understand this if they are booking cabins side by side next to each other. How will they accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for answering

Kathy

The cabins may be side to side, however all they need to do to keep the ship at 50% capacity is to limit the amount of cabins in the inventory to be sold and the amount of guests on board.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Other lines have moved everyone into balcony cabins, leaving every other cabin vacant.

The next sailing they use the cabins that were vacant on the previous cruise and use the week to clean & sanitize them for the following trip.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Other lines have moved everyone into balcony cabins, leaving every other cabin vacant.

The next sailing they use the cabins that were vacant on the previous cruise and use the week to clean & sanitize them for the following trip.

That’s a great idea.  

Princess is selling side by side on the cruise I booked a few weeks back for January 2022. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

That’s a great idea.  

Princess is selling side by side on the cruise I booked a few weeks back for January 2022. 

Same here. I am booked in a balcony for March 2022 & oabin on either side of mine could be booked. One is still available   

Surely the 50% capacity only relates to the new "seacation" cruises, not the normal scheduled cruises for later this year. 

And capacity is being reduced by not offering inside or window cabins. These cruises were only ever sold with a limited number of cabins available, so there is no need to move people around.

I observed some cruises showed SOLD OUT for interior categories early in the booking cycle and figured that's how they were limiting capacity. Those cruises have now been cancelled so it's hard to tell for sure that's what was going on.

Just now, beg3yrs said:

I observed some cruises showed SOLD OUT for interior categories early in the booking cycle and figured that's how they were limiting capacity.

Well, we have an inside booked for the July 3rd sailing of the Caribbean Princess, so if it sails, we'll have a pretty good idea of what's what.

And don't forget, according to the CDC, they don't want the crew / staff cabins to be filled to capacity.  It stands to reason that some of the passenger cabins will be offered to the staff.  I imagine that it makes sense to place them on the Plaza or maybe the Emerald deck, forward of the aft stairs.   Or, who knows, maybe they won't even sail until the restrictions are lifted.  

21 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely the 50% capacity only relates to the new "seacation" cruises, not the normal scheduled cruises for later this year       

Thanks for link. As I assumed,  for a limited time to get started. So by 2022 capacity will be increasing. 

20 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Once again, the few COVID related actions Princess has published leave me with more questions than answers. DH wants to put deposits down on four cruises and I am highly reluctant.

May I ask why you are reluctant?  We are looking at 2022 for 42 days mid January through February.  Hoping it will happen and be OK.

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

May I ask why you are reluctant?  We are looking at 2022 for 42 days mid January through February.  Hoping it will happen and be OK.

I just don’t have confidence in what the cruise product will be, and Princess has done little to inform. Yes, we do want to do a few B2B cruises, short ones in the Caribbean starting in November 2021. Our logic was they would be easy and close to home in the right timeframe to work around high school sports, and basically a way to dip our toes in the water, so to speak. We are holding some with our few FCDs but I am reluctant to pay the deposits required for others.  I spent most of 2020 trying to get the cash refunds Princess owed us; saying the deposit is refundable is kind of meaningless at this point if it is that painful.

I wonder what capacity the ship will be, what the Fort Lauderdale turnaround experience will be like, if we’ll be limited to Princess shore excursions (no way we’ll do that), if unvaccinated guests will be allowed to cruise (ditto), what will happen when COVID gets on board (pretty inevitable), if the pools and hot tubs and loungers will be time limited and/or by reservation only, how the dining rooms are going to handle guests at tables for 2 or family groups only, if we’ll have to reserve seats in the Princess Theater and other entertainment venues (already overcrowded), etc. In summary, I wonder if cruising will be a product we will enjoy as we have in the past. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I wonder what capacity the ship will be, what the Fort Lauderdale turnaround experience will be like, if we’ll be limited to Princess shore excursions (no way we’ll do that), if unvaccinated guests will be allowed to cruise (ditto), what will happen when COVID gets on board (pretty inevitable), if the pools and hot tubs and loungers will be time limited and/or by reservation only, how the dining rooms are going to handle guests at tables for 2 or family groups only, if we’ll have to reserve seats in the Princess Theater and other entertainment venues (already overcrowded), etc. In summary, I wonder if cruising will be a product we will enjoy as we have in the past.

Bang on point!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I just don’t have confidence in what the cruise product will be, and Princess has done little to inform. Yes, we do want to do a few B2B cruises, short ones in the Caribbean starting in November 2021. Our logic was they would be easy and close to home in the right timeframe to work around high school sports, and basically a way to dip our toes in the water, so to speak. We are holding some with our few FCDs but I am reluctant to pay the deposits required for others.  I spent most of 2020 trying to get the cash refunds Princess owed us; saying the deposit is refundable is kind of meaningless at this point if it is that painful.

Excellent post. You have touched upon the concerns that many of us have.

19 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thanks for your response.  We, as I am sure many value your opinion...that is why I asked you.  We have followed your blogs, talked with you onboard ships we were and realize you know more than most regarding how the cruise industries work.  I wonder why Princess is not requiring vaccines.  They have enough of an older venue which I am sure got the vaccine to cover and be safe, which would look good for them without any incidents.  In my opinion it would be a no brainer for them to lure their vacined older guests on with a value to do B2B2Bs.  However, there is still the ports and many there not having been vaccinated.  I still believe having the vaccine requirement is better for the line to require it.  

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 8:52 PM, casofilia said:

I book an Inside because I want an Inside!!!   If they want to move me then we should be able to negotiate more than just a Balcony.

I’m not sure I understand your response.  What more would you want?  I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I would love a balcony.  

17 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m not sure I understand your response.  What more would you want?  I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I would love a balcony.  

I thought the same thing.  What is “more than just a balcony”  when talking about being upgraded from an inside.  What are they expecting?  I’m confused!

• Like 1