DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida

19 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I agree with you.  However look at the other side.  If masks are going to be permanent, why get vaccine?  If there is no progressive relaxation of rules, why bother?  Im not talking about cruises.  Im talking about everyday life.  I was vaccinated because of my job and because I didnt want the full blown covid.  But if I could get the same result from wearing a mask, why bother with vaccine when you still have to mask up and social distance?  Just playing devils advocate here.

No one said any such thing

So you'd rather wear a mask perminately instead of getting the vaccine?

It's thinking like this that is, will prolong getting back to normal for everyone

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm already hearing if there is no benefit to being vaccinated why should I bother getting it. If you cant go maskless into a grocery store and there is no benefit, no thanks. 

The cdc needs to realize there should be a benefit. A incentive, unless they dont want this to end. Dallas has cleared their wait lists. There are no waiting lists any more. We have more doses than people willing to sign up. Give it another couple of weeks and I'm sure so will other places be having a excess. People say let someone else have my dose and laugh and walk away. 

The same in Houston too. One can set their appt at anytime, any place. No more waiting. Basically, they're running out of 'willing' arms these days. Aprroximately 36% of people that live in the greater Houston area have been fully dosed.  

34 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Are you suggesting that the greatest benefit of being vaccinated is being able to remove your mask and circulate freely in the local grocery store?  To me, the benefit is related to a reduced chance of becoming infected and ill from CV-19.

Greatest beneift? Illness and death for me. It's why I got vaxed up. Not to go on a cruise or no longer to be required to wear a mask etc. But I no longer wear a mask anywhere at anytime. I carry a mask w/ me but have had only one store/restaurant that has asked me to put on a mask in the past 3 weeks.  And I go out daily. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

The same in Houston too. One can set their appt at anytime, any place. No more waiting. Basically, they're running out of 'willing' arms these days. Aprroximately 36% of people that live in the greater Houston area have been fully dosed.  

Two things. 

One, skepticism.  Reminds me of the old turtle and the hare cartoon where the turtle says " I think somebody's a-trickin me".  We've been hit daily for a year about all the things that we can do to prevent covid.   Half think its BS, and the other half play devil's advocate and think if it works and I cant change behavior anyway so why bother...I'm good.

Two - people like me.  I've already had it, so why do I need it.  Nobody can answer this with any scintilla of science.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

No, but my family is steeped in medicine, two physicians, one nurse and one PA. Me, I have a masters degree in statistics. I have learned to critically examine the numbers rather than to blindly skim the surface.

Debatable. 

• Like 3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9475955/Pfizer-CEO-says-Covid-vaccine-dose-needed-soon-six-months.html

Pfizer CEO says a THIRD Covid vaccine dose will be needed as soon as six months after someone receives two shots - with annual vaccinations to follow

• Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said during a panel discussion that aired on Thursday that it is 'likely' people will need a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine
  • The potential booster shot would be given six to 12 months of someone being fully vaccinated
  • Bourla said it is possible that people will need to be immunized against the novel coronavirus annually
  • Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech began studying a third dose of their vaccine in late February

One of many reasons why lots of us don't want mandated vaccines. It will never end.

Also, someone should yell at the CEO and hit him with a little science. He said the virus looks more like flu than polio. How dare he say flu!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The question remains, regardless of your politics, could it be possible that Covid deaths are over reported and "other" causes of deaths have been under reported?

No... because I am not a conspiracy theory wack-a-doo. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Are you suggesting that the greatest benefit of being vaccinated is being able to remove your mask and circulate freely in the local grocery store?  To me, the benefit is related to a reduced chance of becoming infected and ill from CV-19.

Exactly.  But everyone wants to be able to throw off their masks in all public places once they get their second jab.  There is absolutely no patience at this point, notwithstanding that folks have been told that guidance will change once we have achieved the target vaccinated population (not there yet folks!) and we understand fully what the impact is of the variants on vaccines and cases.  I understand the frustrations that people have, but I think the vast majority of us understand why we need to continue to take precautions.  It's the whiners that I cannot tolerate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Exactly.  But everyone wants to be able to throw off their masks in all public places once they get their second jab.  There is absolutely no patience at this point, notwithstanding that folks have been told that guidance will change once we have achieved the target vaccinated population (not there yet folks!) and we understand fully what the impact is of the variants on vaccines and cases.  I understand the frustrations that people have, but I think the vast majority of us understand why we need to continue to take precautions.  It's the whiners that I cannot tolerate.

There is no WANT to do this.... I did do this.  There is NO mask mandate in the state of Texas. Most public places do not require them any longer. And when they do I'll do it or leave. Like I posted earlier, there's only been one place in the past 3 weeks as asked me to put on my mask.  One. Out of approximately 35 locations. I go out daily. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

There is no WANT to do this.... I did do this.  There is NO mask mandate in the state of Texas. Most public places do not require them any longer. And when they do I'll do it or leave. Like I posted earlier, there's only been one place in the past 3 weeks as asked me to put on my mask.  One. Out of approximately 35 locations. I go out daily. 

It's too bad common sense and courtesy can't be mandated.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It's too bad common sense and courtesy can't be mandated.

If you want to wear your mask in Texas, you can. Heck, you can even wear two masks at the same. And even while you drive. Texas does not prevent you from making your personal decision to wear masks in public. It's the way it should be... in every state. Restaurants are wide open, 100% capacity.  I feel no issues or worries anymore and it feels very very refreshing.  

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

No... because I am not a conspiracy theory wack-a-doo. 

Neither am I, but, again......because I don't walk lock step with you, I must be a "conspiracy theory wack-a-doo".....smh

name calling only diminishes your credibility

• Like 6

Georgia is wide open now. Vaccination centers have all the doses they need. Getting people to take is another question. We have had our Moderna and wear masks only when requested by the store or doctor's office. Most of the increase in infections in this state are from people who do not want to get vaccinated....mainly young adults.

I don't think it is proper to ask me to wear a mask all the time when the people I am 'protecting' won't get vaccinated. Why do I have to give up my freedom of going maskless to a bunch of people who will not get vaccinated and impose their restrictions on me.  Being vaccinated makes me a basic non-carrier to what I have read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Agree, aside from wearing my mask at the hospital, I have not worn one in public (grocery, Lowe’s, restaurants, gym, Petco) in well

over a month. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Wearing a mask to appease others' irrational fears is not "courtesy"

Hogwash!  Wearing a mask to protect others is common courtesy.  I wear one for that very reason.  I am fully vaccinated, but will continue to do so in public areas until the guidance changes.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I reported facts, which I guess you interpreted?  My bil at best was on the fence. He says he reads the doses have side effects, so he might as well take his chances with covid. For SOME with no incentive, they wouldnt get the dose. Your benefit has nothing at all to do with all those out there needing to be persuaded. I'm saying again .... less than 50% have gotten it here, our news says 44%. For SOME there needs to be some incentive, such as they can take off their masks or they say they will take their chances.

Especially if you are a healthy 30 year old, they just wouldn't bother if the cdc doesnt change and say ok you can take off masks. They need a reason... or they wouldnt. Give it a few weeks and maybe you will see what I'm talking about since you don't now.

The issue should be herd immunity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm in dallas where we have many control freaks. I dont go anywhere that doesnt have a mask sign and I'm tired of it. Ready to move out of their control. It only shows down herd immunity requiring the same from those vaccinated as those not. I cant think of but one place, taco Buenos, a couple older men had no masks so I took mine off. First ever time. It was so refreshing to not see lock step. For no reason!!

• Like 5

On 4/13/2021 at 3:21 PM, SailyaCruise said:

Over 500,000 deaths and counting.  Those people will never cruise.  That number does not lie.  And this thread strengthens my resolve not to step foot in FL for the time being.  I thank you all for your opinions, and I hope to sail and have drinks at bar crawls with you someday.

Enjoy life in your bubble.  We love Governor DeSantis here in Florida.  I have worked with the public since COVID-19 started and have had no problems. My brother is unable to get the vaccine so does that mean he shouldn’t be able to cruise.  It should be you people who are scared that should stay home and not cruise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Crusin Cindy said:

Enjoy life in your bubble.  We love Governor DeSantis here in Florida.  I have worked with the public since COVID-19 started and have had no problems. My brother is unable to get the vaccine so does that mean he shouldn’t be able to cruise.  It should be you people who are scared that should stay home and not cruise.

Last March all those people stuck on ships weren't scared either

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-ship-coronavirus-zaandam

Edited by cruisinfanatic

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

No one said any such thing

So you'd rather wear a mask perminately instead of getting the vaccine?

It's thinking like this that is, will prolong getting back to normal for everyone

I love when people just read one part of a paragraph.  Did you even comprehend what I wrote?  When people have discussions normally, it's always beneficial to hear both sides.  I was sharing my opinion about why some people may not want the vaccine.  It doesn't mean I agree with them.  It was merely an observation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm in dallas where we have many control freaks. I dont go anywhere that doesnt have a mask sign and I'm tired of it. Ready to move out of their control. It only shows down herd immunity requiring the same from those vaccinated as those not. I cant think of but one place, taco Buenos, a couple older men had no masks so I took mine off. First ever time. It was so refreshing to not see lock step. For no reason!!

omg I am so jealous of you guys in TX!  Getting ready to visit family outside Houston in a few weeks now that they and I are all vaccinated and honestly cannot wait to be there!

• Like 1