Bahamas to allow fully vaccinated travelers to bypass PCR testing requirement

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Great news for the fake vaccine card sellers.  😉

Lying to the customs and immigration officials when entering a country always leads to good things happening 100% of the time, right?

Yeah, it's a sad thing that the US is failing to provide a standardized way to confirm proof of vaccination; it's simply not helping at all to get us out of this pandemic faster. But over time it will get better, and states are starting to do something to provide such proof themselves, since the states do technically have this information.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

Instead of the PCR test, you have to take an antibody test?  😀

Random anti-body testing might be one way to discourage using falsified vaccination proof. Especially when it happens in a country with less-than-desirable prison conditions.

• Haha 1

I will be bringing my vaccine card and the receipts from the pharmacy that administered the shots.

Yes you need a test before returning to the US.

Edited by HUNKY
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Instead of the PCR test, you have to take an antibody test?  😀

I'm fully vaccinated and my blood-donation antibody test (1 month after 2nd shot) was negative.  (although I know you were mostly kidding!)

3 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

I'm fully vaccinated and my blood-donation antibody test (1 month after 2nd shot) was negative.  (although I know you were mostly kidding!)

As I recall there are different antibody tests necessary to identify COVID-19 vaccination... IgG vs IgM, I believe. I am sure there will be improvements in testing to address identifying this in the future.

Interim Guidelines for COVID-19 Antibody Testing | CDC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Do you still need a test to fly home, though?

That being a US CDC requirement, yes. And Royal Caribbean will be doing that aboard ship so if you weren't staying longer in The Bahamas after a cruise, that'd be enough. And it's also only requiring Antigen testing, which is cheaper and quicker, too.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Lying to the customs and immigration officials when entering a country always leads to good things happening 100% of the time, right?

Yeah, it's a sad thing that the US is failing to provide a standardized way to confirm proof of vaccination; it's simply not helping at all to get us out of this pandemic faster. But over time it will get better, and states are starting to do something to provide such proof themselves, since the states do technically have this information.

Well, not so much in my state. In fact, our governor recently issued an executive order barring government mandated proof of vaccination ("vaccine passport"). It does have limits - it does not apply to schools, health care facilities or private business but it demonstrates the resistance to any ubiquitous form of vaccination verification in many states. ☹️

Edit: thanks to the OP for sharing the Bahamas news - it is good indeed!

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

Even though we are not getting vaccinated, we both have an International Certificate of Vaccination and Prophylaxis (ICVP) that has been completed and signed by our physicians.  We both have medical exemptions as well as being on a prophylaxis.  It will be interesting to see how Royal handles these "exceptions".  We aren't traveling out of the country (right now, at least) to board a cruise so not worried about the Bahamas or Bermuda but eventually (maybe ??) cruising will resume from the US and we'll have to see how that is handled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Well, not so much in my state. In fact, our governor recently issued an executive order barring government mandated proof of vaccination ("vaccine passport"). It does have limits - it does not apply to schools, health care facilities or private business but it demonstrates the resistance to any ubiquitous form of vaccination verification in many states. ☹️

Edit: thanks to the OP for sharing the Bahamas news - it is good indeed!

So people from Arizona (and Florida) will get taken aside for antibody testing more often. 🙂

What I wonder sometimes is if people who think up these stupid wastes of time worrying about things like verifiable proof of vaccination have ever traveled to countries where there have been vaccination requirements for decades. It's not a new concept. And in the cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face role many of these politicians find themselves in, the vaccinations are for the protection of the traveler as much as, if not moreso than those in the area where they are traveling.

There's so much more important stuff to be worrying over, which I suppose is why they don't pay any attention to it because it would show how useless they are doing anything concrete. Like fixing potholes in roads, or bridges that are falling down, et. al.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, dswallow said:

So people from Arizona (and Florida) will get taken aside for antibody testing more often. 🙂

What I wonder sometimes is if people who think up these stupid wastes of time worrying about things like verifiable proof of vaccination have ever traveled to countries where there have been vaccination requirements for decades. It's not a new concept. And in the cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face role many of these politicians find themselves in, the vaccinations are for the protection of the traveler as much as, if not moreso than those in the area where they are traveling.

There's so much more important stuff to be worrying over, which I suppose is why they don't pay any attention to it because it would show how useless they are doing anything concrete. Like fixing potholes in roads, or bridges that are falling down, et. al.

Totally agree with you. The logic being used, which I don't necessarily agree with, is "protection of private medical information." As you mention, proof of vaccination has been a requirement in many countries for decades.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

How could they conflict one another? RC had no rules regarding entering the Bahamas. 

I think he just used a poor choice of words saying "conflict." I think we all knew what he meant. 🙂

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

How could they conflict one another? RC had no rules regarding entering the Bahamas. 

Not for entering the Bahamas, but for getting on the ship

Bahamas - 5 day old or less PCR tests for all those over age 10.

RC - Vaccinations for those 18+ and TBD time frame PCR tests for those under 18

Now the only gaps are for those under 18, specifically under 10.

Edited by smokeybandit