Would you go iv everyone is not vacinated?

Tennessee Titan

Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

And that 2 on Adventure makes 21 positive on RCG in last 30 days.

JMO I realized many moons ago we were probably going to see positive cases on ships, and all you can do now is watch how the cruise line's plans/protocols work when put into action. 

13 crew Odyssey of the Seas

4 crew Anthem of the Seas

2 guests Adventure of the Seas

2 guests Celebrity Millennium

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/06/articles/disease/2-unvaccinated-passengers-aboard-adventure-of-the-seas-test-positive-for-coivd-19-raising-total-number-of-infected-people-on-royal-caribbean-owned-cruise-ships-to-21-in-last-30-days/

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 12:26 PM, kazu said:

I was simply reporting the facts.  I am currently booked on a cruise and the requirement is 100% vaccination.  Anyone not vaccinated or who cannot be (ie with children) is being moved to 2022.

Hi, did HAL told this to you?

We were booked on a Westerdam cruise in October, now changed to Eurodam. We are fine with this change but won‘t be vaccinated for this cruise. 
When we booked we didn’t know we have to be vaccinated. 
Now we were told we can cancel and have to pay 20% or we can look for another cruise, but we have to change the next days …

thanks and greets from Germany 

26 minutes ago, JanDom said:

Hi, did HAL told this to you?

Yes, we received an email from HAL that the ship is sailing 100% vaccinated.  I believe it is an EU requirement to let us in.

Roll call members who had children under 12 were transferred to the 2022 sailing.

We were booked on a Westerdam cruise in October, now changed to Eurodam. We are fine with this change but won‘t be vaccinated for this cruise. 
When we booked we didn’t know we have to be vaccinated. 

The vaccination rule is recent but there is still time.  As long as you are fully vaccinated 14 days prior you should be able to board.

Now we were told we can cancel and have to pay 20% or we can look for another cruise, but we have to change the next days …

thanks and greets from Germany 

HAL should let you transfer to an equivalent cruise in 2022, I think.  I know that the N Statendam and Volendam passengers have that option.  The options are limited though.

If you click on the link on cancelling or extending, you will see the cruise that they are offering.

4 hours ago, syesmar said:

Unfortunately, 2 guests (unvaccinated minors under 16) aboard Adventure of the Seas have tested positive. One is asymptomatic at this time, the other has mild symptoms. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/24/two-guests-aboard-royal-caribbean-cruise-test-positive-for-covid.html

“...Royal Caribbean said that 92% of guests on the Adventures of the Seas ship are fully vaccinated, with the remaining 8% of guests being under the age of 16. All members of the crew are fully vaccinated....”

Best wishes for all involved!

The Pfizer vaccine has now been approved for 12-15 year olds. Were the 2 minors just under 16 and eligible to be vaccinated or were they actually under 12?

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The Pfizer vaccine has now been approved for 12-15 year olds. Were the 2 minors just under 16 and eligible to be vaccinated or were they actually under 12?

That is unclear. The media reports are in line with Michael Bayley's comments on FB where he said, "Today, two kids sailing on Adventure of the Seas tested positive for COVID after routine testing required before returning home. Both guests, under the age of 16 and unvaccinated, were immediately quarantined. One guest is asymptomatic, and the other guest is experiencing mild symptoms.

Those in their immediate travel party are vaccinated and have tested negative. All close contacts were quickly identified and tested. All are vaccinated and tested negative.

The guests and their travel party disembarked today in Freeport, The Bahamas and are on their way home to Florida. (Private flight arranged by RCL)

Ninety-two percent of our guests on Adventure are fully vaccinated and the remaining 8% are under 16 years old. One hundred percent of our crew are fully vaccinated." 

Edited by syesmar

9 minutes ago, syesmar said:

The guests and their travel party disembarked today in Freeport, The Bahamas and are on their way home to Florida. (Private flight arranged by RCL)

Does the United States still require a negative Covid PCR test when flying to the US from an international destination?  If so, how are the positive children able to be put on an airplane to the US?  

31 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If so, how are the positive children able to be put on an airplane to the US?  

There's discussion about this over on the Royal Caribbean board. Apparently, it's similar to a medical evac-type situation. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2786918-covid-on-adventure/?tab=comments#comment-61338819

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2786918-covid-on-adventure/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-61343018

Edited by syesmar

Here’s some discussion about newly-added additional restrictions for parents of unvaccinated children on Royal Caribbean: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787112-adventure-addl-restrictions-on-parents-of-unvaccinated-children/

Some have just received word regarding their shore excursions for their sailing that leaves tomorrow.

Edited by syesmar

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Does the United States still require a negative Covid PCR test when flying to the US from an international destination?  If so, how are the positive children able to be put on an airplane to the US?  

Private jet... not commercial. I mean I can go across the US Mexico border in my private car without a negative test. 

Edited by fatcat04

2 hours ago, syesmar said:

Here’s some discussion about newly-added additional restrictions for parents of unvaccinated children on Royal Caribbean: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787112-adventure-addl-restrictions-on-parents-of-unvaccinated-children/

Some have just received word regarding their shore excursions for their sailing that leaves tomorrow.

That’s disappointing they just heard, but I’m surprised they are surprised.  Their children are in their “bubble” .

I feel for them, but honestly, not surprised.  So much is up to each port and country.  It’s not always the cruise lines’ call.

The good thing is RCCL has lots of activities.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kazu said:

...I feel for them, but honestly, not surprised.  So much is up to each port and country.  It’s not always the cruise lines’ call....

Agree. It’s been interesting to observe these first few weeks. I think HAL starting off 100% vaccinated is the safest way to cruise.

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Yes, we received an email from HAL that the ship is sailing 100% vaccinated.  I believe it is an EU requirement to let us in.

Roll call members who had children under 12 were transferred to the 2022 sailing.

The vaccination rule is recent but there is still time.  As long as you are fully vaccinated 14 days prior you should be able to board.

HAL should let you transfer to an equivalent cruise in 2022, I think.  I know that the N Statendam and Volendam passengers have that option.  The options are limited though.

If you click on the link on cancelling or extending, you will see the cruise that they are offering.

Thanks for the information. We will have a look at the link.

We are already sure we won’t be fully vaccinated in October because we don’t want to do this.

It is also not a EU requirement, because almost all cruise lines from Europe go with unvaccinated passengers. 
Only US brands want us to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JanDom said:

Thanks for the information. We will have a look at the link.

We are already sure we won’t be fully vaccinated in October because we don’t want to do this.

It is also not a EU requirement, because almost all cruise lines from Europe go with unvaccinated passengers. 
Only US brands want us to be vaccinated.

It was my understanding that to enter the EU, we had to show proof of vaccination.  (I’m talking non Europeans - in our case - Canadians).

I believe this is the requirement that the various ports and countries have set for HAL to be in Europe - most likely because there will be a number of non-Europeans on board.

While there have been some European cruise lines sailing,  my understanding is that it has been with very few port stops and full covid protocols in place (masks, distancing, ship excursion only).  The sailings on the Eurodam will involve more stops and in most cases, no need to be on a ship excursion, contrary to what is going on right now so vaccination makes sense to protect the visiting countries, ports and their people.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

It was my understanding that to enter the EU, we had to show proof of vaccination.  (I’m talking non Europeans - in our case - Canadians).

Current regulations for US travelers to the EU. NPR warns to read the fine print

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/18/1008187671/eu-opens-the-door-to-american-travelers-but-they-may-not-be-welcome-everywhere

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

10 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Private jet... not commercial. I mean I can go across the US Mexico border in my private car without a negative test. 

I don't mean to get into an argument over this but according to the CDC :"Does this order apply to all flights or just commercial flights?

This order applies to all flights, including private flights and general aviation aircraft (charter flights). Passengers traveling by air into the US are required to have proof of testing regardless of flight type."

Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States | CDC

Again, I'm only interested in knowing how those two positive souls were able to fly into the US from the Bahamas.  Did the CDC grant some type of exemption (some are available under very strict circumstances) but it doesn't sound as if the children qualify since one has a mild illness and the other was asymptomatic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Again, I'm only interested in knowing how those two positive souls were able to fly into the US from the Bahamas.  Did the CDC grant some type of exemption (some are available under very strict circumstances) but it doesn't sound as if the children qualify since one has a mild illness and the other was asymptomatic.

I don’t know all the particulars, but a similar thing happened a couple weeks back with the 2 positives aboard Celebrity’s Millennium. Initial reports indicated they’d be quarantined for two weeks in a hotel, but they were flown back to the US before that. This was confirmed by multiple people. https://www.reuters.com/business/cruise-lines-say-no-change-sailing-plans-after-new-covid-19-cases-2021-06-11/ 

See the response to my question here from a passenger aboard: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2783664-process-details-for-the-celebrity-millennium-sint-maarten-sailings/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-61270489

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I don’t know all the particulars, but a similar thing happened a couple weeks back with the 2 positives aboard Celebrity’s Millennium. Initial reports indicated they’d be quarantined for two weeks in a hotel, but they were flown back to the US before that. This was confirmed by multiple people. https://www.reuters.com/business/cruise-lines-say-no-change-sailing-plans-after-new-covid-19-cases-2021-06-11/ 

See the response to my question here from a passenger aboard: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2783664-process-details-for-the-celebrity-millennium-sint-maarten-sailings/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-61270489

According to ABC News:  A spokesperson for Celebrity explained the two positive passengers will remain in St. Maarten until they test negative, and then the cruise line will help them make travel arrangements to go home.

I wonder if the positive cases from the RCI ship in the Bahamas might have been returned to the U.S. by sea instead of air.

I cannot cite the source, but I was under the impression that the 2 PAX from the Millennium were residents of the Netherlands so flying them home wouldn't have been coming to the US necessarily, but I'm not really sure either.  I don't think Celebrity ever identified the passengers who were positive.  Lots of things will end up being confusing during the restart.  Everything will be in flux.  Adaptability will be the order of the day.

Edited by Daniel A

46 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

According to ABC News:  A spokesperson for Celebrity explained the two positive passengers will remain in St. Maarten until they test negative, and then the cruise line will help them make travel arrangements to go home....

I wonder if the positive cases from the RCI ship in the Bahamas might have been returned to the U.S. by sea instead of air... Lots of things will end up being confusing during the restart...

Initial reports indicated they were Dutch. They were not. Initial reports said they would have a hotel-based quarantine of 14 days. They did not. Multiple witnesses and outlets (see linked Threads about this in prior pages) confirmed they were flown back to the US within a short time to complete their extended quarantine at home.

Michael Bayley’s statement, quoted in Post 256, says “private flight arranged by RCL” regarding this latest incident.

I do know that the positive case last week aboard Viking’s Orion is doing a hotel-based quarantine before returning home from Bermuda.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't mean to get into an argument over this but according to the CDC :"Does this order apply to all flights or just commercial flights?

This order applies to all flights, including private flights and general aviation aircraft (charter flights). Passengers traveling by air into the US are required to have proof of testing regardless of flight type."

Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States | CDC

Sure sure. That was just my guess as Celebrity flew back it's + folks back too. Maybe RCCL and Celebrity have made a deal where they essentially can repatriate US citizens via private flight under these circumstances? Regardless, I think it was bang up of them to do that so that the folks can quarantine at home and keep everyone safe at the same time. Very classy. 

And in all honesty, I am very thankful for those brave souls on cruise ships now testing this all out. It is good to see how everything is working in real time, not just the endless conjecture and assumptions of months and months we have all read. That said, this has changed our thinking on cruising with our daughter who is too little for a vaccine. It just isn't a good idea yet for multiple reasons. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Initial reports indicated they were Dutch. They were not. Initial reports said they would have a hotel-based quarantine of 14 days. They did not. Multiple witnesses and outlets (see linked Threads about this in prior pages) confirmed they were flown back to the US within a short time to complete their extended quarantine at home.

Michael Bayley’s statement, quoted in Post 256, says “private flight arranged by RCL” regarding this latest incident.

I do know that the positive case last week aboard Viking’s Orion is doing a hotel-based quarantine before returning home from Bermuda.

All the Best!

I just watched a cruise related vlog where the vlogger says he got a response from RCL that the PAX were flown back into the U.S. via private aircraft.  Somehow it seems RCL has either gotten an exemption or just decided to face the consequences.  Apparently, RCI is being responsible to get the children all the way home so they can quarantine in their own residence.  The vlogger's main question which goes to the heart of the reason why I'm interested in this was "Will they do this for everybody?"

Were the parents of those kids so desperate to get onto the first cruise ship to sail again that they were willing to subject their children to this whole ordeal?  

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I just watched a cruise related vlog where the vlogger says he got a response from RCL that the PAX were flown back into the U.S. via private aircraft.  Somehow it seems RCL has either gotten an exemption or just decided to face the consequences.  Apparently, RCI is being responsible to get the children all the way home so they can quarantine in their own residence.  The vlogger's main question which goes to the heart of the reason why I'm interested in this was "Will they do this for everybody?"

Were the parents of those kids so desperate to get onto the first cruise ship to sail again that they were willing to subject their children to this whole ordeal?  

Well, speaking as a parent, I won't critique their thinking as many of us families have been cooped up with no vacations and no breaks for a long long time. Plus, our kids have been out and about here in the States for a while now. Our son (an older teen) has been in inperson trade school on and off since last Fall and has been working weekends as an essential worker since July of last year. And things being so open as they are for most of us, it just doesn't cross your mind until you are faced with it. As I said, I am thankful to now see the reality and how it all works out in real time which was kind of the point of these initial cruises. I can imagine I am not the only parent looking at this with more informed eyes and making changes to plans. 👍

• Like 2

13 hours ago, syesmar said:

Agree. It’s been interesting to observe these first few weeks. I think HAL starting off 100% vaccinated is the safest way to cruise.

But we now also know that regardless of having the vaccine, there is still the risk of covid; not only from a breakthrough but for other reasons.  One of the things I wonder is how long the immunity lasts; especially for early vaccinated.  IN AK vaccinations began early in 2021 and you have to wonder what the risk for COVID will be over time as immunity wanes.  I guess we will find out.  My statement is more rhetorical and not looking for any advice here.  I also meant to say, I can't wait!  My AK cruise is in September 2021. 

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

...The vlogger's main question which goes to the heart of the reason why I'm interested in this was "Will they do this for everybody?"...

Agree that these initial cruises are giving incredibly valuable insight for the future. There is much discussion that currently the passengers aboard RC ships will be taken care of by the cruise line if they test positive, but those provisions will expire after October 31, and unless something changes will be at their own expense and resources from then on.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1