The Daily for Sunday Apr 25, 2021

richwmn

Today is East Meets West Day, National DNA Day, and World Penguin Day

Television has brought back murder into the home - where it belongs. - Alfred Hitchcock

Meal suggestion for today - Quick Taco Salad

Drink of the Day - Waikiki Punch

Wine of the day - Caliterra 2017 Tributo Carmenère (Colchagua Valley) Chile

Port of the Day - Enter Panama Canal Cristobal

At Sea Gulf of California
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

Corfu GR
Volendam

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

According to Roy, Rotterdam is out of the dock

0425USA.thumb.png.be959ae34d2d26eaf558790515a55e9a.png

0425Europe.thumb.png.b410db909173ff41c988ae32700479f3.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A cool, wet morning here today.

An interesting collection of days, I love penguins.

I'm not sure what to make of that quote from Hitchcock.

We're having yesterday's meal suggestion for dinner tonight.  Maybe we'll have today's suggestion later in the week.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

And of course, I love seeing the pictures posted for the port of the day.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 18

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I've had East meet West several times on multiple cruise lines, including Blue Hulled Beauties.  Penguins are very interesting but also quite an olfactory experience.  I think DNA testing is a bit of a double edged sword.  Hitchcock was interesting, as reflected in his quote.  Been through the Panama Canal many times, mostly Crystal Symphony but also on MS Prinsendam.  I'll pass on the Taco.  My alternative is Apple Salad with Candied Walnuts, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Vanilla Ice Cream as enjoyed on MS Nieuw Statendam April 25, 2017.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/dishes25.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

Indonesian sub crew

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

A PE Sailaway (Seabourn Odyssey, 0700-2100)

Rotterdam moving

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

from vesselfinder.com

The current position of ROTTERDAM is at Adriatic Sea (coordinates 45.35329 N / 12.40545 E) reported 0 min ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to the port of Trieste, Italy, sailing at a speed of 6.7 knots and expected to arrive there on Apr 27, 12:00.

The vessel ROTTERDAM (IMO: 9837470, MMSI 247434300) is a Passenger (Cruise) Ship built in 2021 and currently sailing under the flag of Italy.

Course / Speed 338.4° / 6.7 kn
Current draught 7.8 m
Navigation Status Moored
Position received 0 min ago i
IMO / MMSI 9837470 / 247434300
Callsign ITP0253
Flag Italy
Length / Beam 296 / 38 m
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Nice collection of days.  May I add one for our friends in Australia & New Zealand please?  It’s Anzac Day, an important day of remembrance Lest We Forget.  

95B4D15F-26FF-4A28-9555-4EFCA93745DE.jpeg.03c67531563ccfa08cd60b6105224358.jpeg

OMG on that quote by Alfred Hitchcock!  Meal suggestion sounds good but I think I will save it for tomorrow or the next day.  Today is supposed to be nice so I’ll be outside working and I have a feeling BBQ will be on the agenda since it’s going to be rainy for the next few days.  With a salad & wine, of course 😉 

We have certainly entered the Panama Canal Cristobal.  I’m sure here will be a ton of pics for this one but if there are not I will look in my laptop.

Happy to say I got my first “jab” yesterday.

4ECC6A93-16D1-4C91-90FE-61CD3E3D6EF8.gif.e0e2a53999611cbc73d7483be44d03f1.gif

I hear the Louvre is following suit with vaccination 😉 

1D733CA6-31FD-4387-9DE1-007C6573319B.thumb.jpeg.fc2af638c5ae00ebcd96d65c7bf028b0.jpeg

My sister teased me that after the vaccine I had to abstain from wine for 2 weeks.  LOL fake news, thankfully but my thought to her was:

53B2C4D1-082B-4ECE-93BE-31DD2E1BC850.jpeg.9b447b34024627e7a5e57be0ce52976b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another wild combo of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!

Morning Dailyites. Another wild and stormy Sunday morning here. Love the quote. I love taco salad, looking forward to the recipe. I believe I have tasted the drink du jour. Tonight I’ll be eating out some place. My thirteen year old great nephew just earned his first high school credit in computer science, so we are celebrating and he gets to choose. 🤔

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine is a bit elusive in the USA, but if you can find it, it sounds interesting, has great ratings and a reasonable price. I found UK & Hong Kong distributors that will ship. Prices start at $16.99. I would like to at least try this one. 

Winemaker notes

On the nose, spicy aromas stand out, such as roasted red bell pepper, black pepper and strawberries in syrup. Soft floral notes, reminiscent of violets appear. By the end of the bouquet, subtle notes of bitter chocolate, dried tobacco leaves and dry earth can be appreciated. In mouth, soft and silky tannins are displayed, with great vitality and textures, a common characteristic of the wines of the valley. With its beautiful acidity and full body, this wine lets us foresee great aging potential.

92 Wine Enthusiast: Berry and black plum aromas meld with an herbal accent in this typical Colchagua Valley Carmenère. On the palate, this is full and dense, with just enough lively acidic pop. Toasty, spicy flavors of smoky oak accent a core of blackberry and cassis, while this is long and slightly tannic on a well-focused finish. Drink through 2024.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

It is rather grey out right now, but the forecast is for partly sunny and 51F.  That's better than the snow last week.  Yesterday's Zoom meeting went very well.  I always get anxious beforehand, but I think this one was one of our best.  I am relieved it is over.  

I loved seeing the penguins in Antarctica.  We were able to get quite close to some of them in the Falklands.  I walked out to Gypsy Cove with couple of others from the ship.  Great walk and beautiful cove and penguins on the trails.  The walk back seemed a lot longer.  

I think Anzac Day is an important remembrance.  

I love taco salad, but I have to have it without the chips.   I like Roy's alternative as well, but that is way too many carbs for me.  

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221915/quick-taco-salad/

Per Serving:

638 calories; protein 30.1g; carbohydrates 36.8g; fat 40.5g; cholesterol 100.8mg; sodium 1611.1mg. 

Quick Taco Salad.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the daily report.  So far I’ve only been able to see a penguin at the zoo or aquarium.  Taco salad sounds delicious, maybe next Saturday though.  We’ve been watching Alfred Hitchcock presents episodes on Hulu and can totally hear him saying that! Happy Sunday to all from a cool, overcast and soon to be rainy Boston.  Prayers to all in need.

• Like 14

Good morning all! 

Yesterday’s gloom gave way to sun. This morning we are starting with fog. It usually burns off (we get fog a lot, being above Lake Taneycomo and below the Table Rock dam). Right now golfers would have a hard time finding the hole.

Interesting days. My experience with penguins has all been at Penguin Cove at the St Louis Zoo. Alfred Hitchcock was a strange man, but I loved his TV show. Still on my IPad this morning, so no pictures today. I will be back home on my computer later tonight as we are heading home.

Drink sounds like it may be a winner and I love the Chilean wines.

Prayers this morning for all on our care list 🙏 and always happy to celebrate the good times 🍷

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 19

Good Morning.

Especially good Dailies today.  The meal,  the wine is an all time favorite, the port and canal in general, and of course the penguins.  I've been lucky to see them in all sizes in Australia, South Africa, South America and especially the Falklands great jeep safari to the kings.  I hope everyone gets to have these experiences.  So exciting to see Rotterdam on the move.  Good vibe for the future.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.   

Thanks, Prayers and Cheers!

Cindy

• Like 14

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  The only penguins we've seen are in a zoo.  Glad they've gotten DNA where it is.  I really do not like the Hitchcock quote.  We have taco salad often, one of our favorites.  So happy the Rotterdam is on the move.

Major prayers for our care list.  And happy toasts for our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Waikiki Punch:

Ingredients
Ice cubes
1-ounce dark rum
1-ounce guava juice
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 orange, juiced
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash grenadine
1 maraschino cherry, for garnish

Directions
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add all ingredients, and shake well. Strain into a highball glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.31.05 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

A beautiful sunny morning today after the rain of yesterday.  Checking the radar this morning on my phone I saw a line of thunderstorms down at Cat's location Ormond Beach, FL.  I don't think it will last long though thankfully.  

A good group of days today.  East Meets West is appropriate with the port of Cristobal, Panama Canal.  I think DNA usage is a good thing overall.  Think of the crimes that have been solved.  World Penguin Day is a favorite for me.  I agree with @dfishabout the close proximity of the penguins at Gypsy Cove in Stanley.  But the best by far was walking among them in Antarctica.  I tried to keep my distance but apparently they didn't get the memo and would walk right past me.  No fear of humans!  The Quick Taco Salad sounds delish but I doubt we'll have that today.  That's all up to DH - he prepares whatever he wants and I certainly don't complain.  Almost always a surprise.

Since I posted Panama Canal photos during Gatun Lake port day, I'll pass today.  If anyone has any photos of the actual port of Cristobal I would welcome them.  I saw the two from @65 Gatorwhich gave me hope that others have been there too.  If there are any more photos in your album please show us!

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   Our DDIL and DS are a prime example of what can happen when East meets West! I've had my DNA analyzed, and came up with some interesting information.  Love the look of penguins, but have only seen them in the zoo . . . so far.   We've been to Cristobal on the Coral Princess, but it was before digital photos, so I'd have to hunt them down.

Today's a special day, because it's DH's 80th birthday.  There are lots of surprises in store for him throughout the day, beginning with "Lawn Letters" proclaiming his birthday for all to see.  I've always done something special for his "significant" birthdays, from surprise brunches to a 3 hour champagne limousine ride, to a special concert, etc., but it's been made much more difficult with this darn pandemic.  Creativity prevails, however, so there are lots of things that will happen as the day progresses.

We love taco salad - but without the avocado (blech) - but  there's a surprise dinner happening today that I won't be cooking.  I know it'll be great though, because the chef is well known to us.  And wine.

Remembering Anzac Day today and all who lost their lives.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight (perhaps a few times) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31

Long ago I lived a short distance from what is now the pier in Colon where the ship docks. What pictures I had were lost in moves a long time ago.

Christobal is on one side of the Canal and was part of the Canal Zone, it is now a section of Colon, which was the Panamanian city on the other side of the Canal Entrance.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Really not sure what to make of that Hitchcock  quote. Murder doesn’t belong anywhere.

Its a gray and rainy day here and we’ve been invited to a 90th birthday party.  It was supposed to be outside but it looks like the weather will put it inside. Since NJ has so many variants and is leading the US in deaths right now, I’ve decided Incant go because I’m not vaccinated. DH plans to make a short appearance and that’s it. We’re exercising an abundance of caution.

Stay safe out there.

Carol

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is the first from another set of cruises.  In April-May of 2019 I sailed the Nieuw Statendam transatlantic to Amsterdam and returned on Queen Victoria/QM2 Keil-Southampton-New York.  April 25 was a sea day enroute to Porta Delgada:

dawn0425.jpg

Roy

• Like 25

Hello  to  all. @ger_77, a  very  Happy  Birthday  to  DH. Your  party  plans  sound  like  fun  in  spite  of  the  limitations  we  live  with.

I  recently  re watched the March  of  the  Penguins" and  enjoyed  it  so  much. I  love  to  see  the  penguin  pictures more  far  flung  travelers show  here. The  Hitchcock quote  is  a  little  creepy but  so  like  the  man. I  like  the  recipe  of  the  day  but  it  would  not  be  welcomed  by  DH. We  are  going  to  enjoy  twice  baked  potatoes, spinach and  maple  dijon  chicken instead. My DD  and  DSIL  usually  join  us  here  for  Sunday  dinner  but  he  is  not  feeling  well  after  getting  his  second  shot on  Friday. I  will  send  their  food  next door  to  enjoy  another  time.

We  have  had  appliance  curses  here in  spades. The  dishwasher  was  first,leaking  all  over  the  floor. This  was  followed  by the  icemaker  on  the  fairly  new  refrigerator leaking  as  well. We  await  a  repair  of  that  and  for  a  plumber  to  be  able  to  hook  up  a  new  dishwasher.  I  spoke  to  the  microwave  the  other  day  when  it  started  to  make  odd  groaning  noises. Time  will  tell  if  that  is  the  third  thing to  go!               Terry

• Like 16