I'm beginning to think the CDC may very well lose the lawsuit that Florida initiated

ontheweb

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

🤦‍♂️

I think you are ok @ontheweb with re-evaluating as things change.   I do it all the time.

I like the thinking man emoji too.

It is a sign of intelligence when one can listen to reason and adjust their position.

(Thomas Jefferson would do a double-fist pump in his mausoleum)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRG said:

I think you are ok @ontheweb with re-evaluating as things change.   I do it all the time.

I like the thinking man emoji too.

It is a sign of intelligence when one can listen to reason and adjust their position.

(Thomas Jefferson would do a double-fist pump in his mausoleum)

Why thank you. As things change or new facts become available, we should be able to adapt and rethink our positions.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it appears that the court-ordered mediation has failed. What next?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/06/03/mediation-fails-to-settle-cruise-line-lawsuit-between-florida-cdc/

Not shocking when one party in the negotiation has no interest in any real solutions, but rather is using the CDC to generate 'fighting big invasive government for the people' publicity to posture for national name recognition (pretty clearly for their political aspirations).  Yet the same person is willing to use government, in a rushed to pass law, to impose invasive business requirements ($5000 pp fine) on literally the same industry if they dont operate the way he wants.

Admire the chutzpah.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/06/03/mediation-fails-to-settle-cruise-line-lawsuit-between-florida-cdc/

Who knows?.........nothing surprises me anymore.

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

My comment was meant to be humorous . It appears that wasn't clear . 

It was funny,  but I wouldn't call it humorous.

Humorous gets people rolfing in un-controllable fits and I just didn't see that happening here.

What is humorous is the ongoing drama\comedy that continues around the mediation...

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe the State of Florida will call  "Parlay" and the CDC will panic and give in to the demands.

It worked in Pirates of the Caribbean!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The next step will probably be the judge setting a trial date. It may very well be after cruises resume making the whole lawsuit moot.

3 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Don't surveys show that most cruisers would not be interested in sailing unless the vast majority of the passengers are vaccinated?

Survey says................You are correct!!!

• Like 2

Important to remember that the state of Covid in the US, thanks to our aggressive vaccination effort and early vaccine access, is not yet the state of the rest of the world and countries which these cruises sail among.  The cruise companies and governments they negotiate with know this.  Florida officials may not care about spreading disease in less fortunate countries, but we all should and encourage vaccinated cruises as a step this year, not oppose them.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The next step will probably be the judge setting a trial date. It may very well be after cruises resume making the whole lawsuit moot.

First the judge has to rule on the various motions.  If the judge denies the motion for a preliminary injunction, that essentially kills the lawsuit. Alternatively he could grant the motion outright, or set a date for a further hearing,  

Given the extensive papers filed on the motion, I don’t think the judge needs or wants a hearing/trial on the facts. I think he’s got enough of a record to decide the motion on the papers.

7 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

First the judge has to rule on the various motions.  If the judge denies the motion for a preliminary injunction, that essentially kills the lawsuit. Alternatively he could grant the motion outright, or set a date for a further hearing,  

Given the extensive papers filed on the motion, I don’t think the judge needs or wants a hearing/trial on the facts. I think he’s got enough of a record to decide the motion on the papers.

If he denies the motion for a preliminary injunction, doesn't the case still move on to the next step, a trial on the facts?

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If he denies the motion for a preliminary injunction, doesn't the case still move on to the next step, a trial on the facts?

I would think so........if Arbitration fails, a trial follows........unless the case can be settled between the parties....isn't that correct?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I would think so........if Arbitration fails, a trial follows........unless the case can be settled between the parties....isn't that correct?

Well, not exactly. They went to mediation, not arbitration. 

8 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

ohhhh.....my bad😮....that's right.........not sure why I was thinking the other........

11 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Right, an arbitrator makes a binding decision. (It can be appealed, but judges do not like to overturn arbitration decisions since sending the case to arbitration is usually done to save the Court's time, and it would make no sense to have these decisions overturned.) A mediator tries to get the parties to come to an agreement. This did not work in this case.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Right, an arbitrator makes a binding decision. (It can be appealed, but judges do not like to overturn arbitration decisions since sending the case to arbitration is usually done to save the Court's time, and it would make no sense to have these decisions overturned.) A mediator tries to get the parties to come to an agreement. This did not work in this case.

You are correct.......on all counts. Now we have to just "hurry up and wait".........

Not sure why I was thinking arbitration LOL......that is always in sports.......maybe I had baseball on my mind😃

On 6/3/2021 at 11:57 PM, Pizzasteve said:

Important to remember that the state of Covid in the US, thanks to our aggressive vaccination effort and early vaccine access, is not yet the state of the rest of the world and countries which these cruises sail among.  The cruise companies and governments they negotiate with know this.  Florida officials may not care about spreading disease in less fortunate countries, but we all should and encourage vaccinated cruises as a step this year, not oppose them.

It's also important to know that the state of Florida is plateauing at 38% fully vaccinated.  Cruise passengers using Florida ports may have a greater chance of catching COVID in Florida than on a 95% passenger vaxxed sailing.

• Thanks 1