May 12, 2021 CDC hearing set to start at 9:00am

9 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Unless things have changed recently I don't believe cameras are allowed  in federal courts. 

That is true. Print reporters can come in but can not use phones to tweet or post.

26 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Unless things have changed recently I don't believe cameras are allowed  in federal courts. 

I believe cameras are prohibited in federal court for criminal cases, as for civil cases, they can be permitted if the judge allows them.  I don't think they are allowing it in this hearing as I can't find anything additional than was reported this morning. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn express last night.....so I am highly qualified to say that the chance of the court moving this along is very possible, considering it is Florida, impacts a billion dollar industry that votes to put the judge in office. 

I almost always vote judges out😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this Federal Court? You can't vote out a Federal Judge.

I just love how people here assume the judge will rule one way or another due to who appointed him/her, pollical affiliation, ulterior motive, who they are friends with, the alignment of the planets, etc. How about we all assume the judge will rule they way they will rule due to their interpretation of the LAW? (novel concept, right?)

• Like 5

I think John is talking about local judges, which I vote them out too but for a different reason. I want my wife to be appointed.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's about 1:00 PM EST and the hearing was scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM.  I can't find any updates about the hearing anywhere.  Is it safe to assume they are still behind closed doors after 4 hours?

Just now, mikehoncho said:

It's about 1:00 PM EST and the hearing was scheduled to begin at 9:00 AM.  I can't find any updates about the hearing anywhere.  Is it safe to assume they are still behind closed doors after 4 hours?

For what I know of IRL trial lawyers (i.e. not TV drama), they might be having lunch together as we speak 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

They were still meeting about an hour ago.  There was a local newscaster outside but she did not give any info 

• Like 1

The judge in this case was appointed for life so he can't be voted out. 

"Steven Merryday, of Tampa, was nominated for the U.S. District Court bench in 1992 by U.S. Sen. Connie Mack, R-Cape Coral, and appointed by President Bush. He serves under a lifetime appointment."  

DeSantis is holding a press conference @2pm which will be streamed live.  Not sure if it's only for the Florida gas emergency situation or if there will be questions regarding the hearing.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/05/12/gov-ron-desantis-to-hold-news-conference-in-tarpon-springs/

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

So if the CDC wins what does this mean to cruisers out of Florida ports?

Keep in mind TX and Alaska are also part of the lawsuit. My guess.... not until fall.. and DeSantis will have to back off vaccine passport ban if he wants any going out of Florida.

43 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

DeSantis is holding a press conference @2pm which will be streamed live.  Not sure if it's only for the Florida gas emergency situation or if there will be questions regarding the hearing.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/05/12/gov-ron-desantis-to-hold-news-conference-in-tarpon-springs/

Just flood-related bill announcements.

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this Federal Court? You can't vote out a Federal Judge.

I just love how people here assume the judge will rule one way or another due to who appointed him/her, pollical affiliation, ulterior motive, who they are friends with, the alignment of the planets, etc. How about we all assume the judge will rule they way they will rule due to their interpretation of the LAW? (novel concept, right?)

One can only hope, but it does appear bleak that any of them would...

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

I am not subscribing to read this, is this the argument or the ruling?

No ruling...just laying out the government's case against reopening the cruise industry.

The U.S. government says the state of Florida has no legal right to force the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention to reopen the cruise line business at the nation’s seaports.

Lawyers representing the state and federal government squared off before U.S. District Judge Steven Merryday in Tampa on Wednesday after Florida sued the CDC and Department of Health and Human Services, claiming an agency program for cruise lines to resume sailings is “unlawful,” taking too long and creating widespread economic harm.

No cruise line is involved in the suit. But executives have been vocal about the government’s slow pace of allowing the industry — which has been shut down since March 2020 — to resume operations. Some lines have started operating cruises out of foreign ports. And Frank Del Rio, the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., has threatened to move his companies’ ships to other ports on a wider scale.

State government lawyers from Texas and Alaska, both of which host thousands of cruise passengers each year, listened to the Tampa hearing Wednesday by phone.

6 minutes ago, exm said:

That's old news already, we need the judge to speak.

It's not old. I was written after the hearing. Judge didn't mention when he would rule; however, given he hasn't ruled today it at least means he's not buying FL's preliminary injunction case at least not with any sense of urgency.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Keep in mind TX and Alaska are also part of the lawsuit. My guess.... not until fall.. and DeSantis will have to back off vaccine passport ban if he wants any going out of Florida.

You do realize WHO, White House and Most Govt leaders are against "Vaccine Passports" Thats not the issue 

• Like 1