NEW CDC ... NO MASKS NEEDED FOR VACCINATED PERSONS ??

6 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

When people talk about mask-wearing in Asia, it is usually evident that they have never lived there. I lived in Taiwan for several years and routinely traveled to Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. While cloth masks are an every-day item sold at the local 7-Eleven for about the equivalent of US$1, they are for smog, not viruses. Everyone has 3 or 4 of them stuck in the seat of their scooter. Prior to Covid, if you saw someone wearing a medical mask it meant they were sick or thought they may be sick (since many will still go to work when sick). Of course there was some government mandated mask wearing when Covid appeared, but generally speaking wearing a mask inside is considered impolite (kind of like wearing shoes in the house). Talking to my in-laws in Taipei, things are pretty much back to normal (and few indoor masks in one of the largest and most crowded cities in the world).    

Interesting perspective, I'm glad you brought this up. Usually when I think about mask-wearing in Asia, I think about Japan. There's not much of a smog problem there, and mask-wearing culture has persisted since the Spanish Flu.

https://www.dw.com/en/how-japans-mask-culture-may-have-saved-lives-during-coronavirus/a-55321518

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

True.  South Korea had strong mask mandates, lockdowns and good KF94 masks. 

But without statistical control of all the relevant variables, we can't be 100% certain what accounts for their success.

They tested everyone in the country. There was a video on here last year that mentioned their previous experience with SARS in South Korea. When Covid started, they were already prepared for mass testing and quarantine and mask mandates. They wobbled a bit later on, but did a good job of keeping the pandemic in check. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BND said:

Some people won't produce the antibodies others do or at a lower rate.  For example, my sister is RH- and her DH is RH+.  She' had Rhogam shots with both her pregnancies but didn't respond to them.  Her second child, her daughter was delivered at 37 weeks and required intensive UV light therapy because of it.  She just doesn't produce the response necessary.  As a result, she was told to not have any more children as the next one probably wouldn't survive or would be very premature.  Not everyone responds the same way to meds/vaccines.  Now, Rhogam isn't a vaccine but it's supposed to block the antibody reaction that causes problems in babies/pregnancy.  I know of others who when pregnant didn't have rubella antibodies even though they'd had the vaccine.  It happens.

This is true for the current vaccine in patients taking immunosuppressant medications.  People with arthritis and organ transplant recipients are examples.  A study by Johns Hopkins showed little to no response in transplant patients taking a certain medication.  Just because someone has received the vaccine and have their card does not mean they are protected.  I'm sure they will find other pockets of people who do not have a strong response to the vaccine for various reasons.

10 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

If that's the case, they probably shouldn't cruise, wouldn't you think?

I'm immunosuppressed and I cruised only a few months after receiving an organ transplant a couple years ago.  Yes, precautions have to be taken but we are not frail and can live a very full and rewarding life even though the medication suppresses our immune system.  However, with COVID, we do need to be extra careful and tend to get frustrated knowing that the only true path to us enjoying any semblance or normalcy is through herd immunity.  The vaccine, although approved for us and many of us have received it, is showing very questionable effectiveness.  I understand people's hesitancy towards getting the vaccine but many of  us pray that one day we will reach this so-called herd immunity so that we can also enjoy some of the excitement that most are getting with the restrictions being removed.

5 hours ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

Interesting perspective, I'm glad you brought this up. Usually when I think about mask-wearing in Asia, I think about Japan. There's not much of a smog problem there, and mask-wearing culture has persisted since the Spanish Flu.

https://www.dw.com/en/how-japans-mask-culture-may-have-saved-lives-during-coronavirus/a-55321518

Given that I haven't been sick with anything in over a year, I'm likely to keep with the hand sanitizer/ washing along with wearing a mask in crowded places and while traveling. Wearing a piece of cloth, and not being sick for a few days, is worth it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ajm said:

I'm immunosuppressed and I cruised only a few months after receiving an organ transplant a couple years ago.  Yes, precautions have to be taken but we are not frail and can live a very full and rewarding life even though the medication suppresses our immune system.  However, with COVID, we do need to be extra careful and tend to get frustrated knowing that the only true path to us enjoying any semblance or normalcy is through herd immunity.  The vaccine, although approved for us and many of us have received it, is showing very questionable effectiveness.  I understand people's hesitancy towards getting the vaccine but many of  us pray that one day we will reach this so-called herd immunity so that we can also enjoy some of the excitement that most are getting with the restrictions being removed.

Stay safe.  My DH is a transplant recipient too.  He had covid this winter, got it from a physical therapist, and the monoclonal treatment worked great for him. he was only in hospital for a couple of days and that was basically to monitor him after receiving the infusion.  He was vaccinated a month later and goes back on tuesday for more labs.

The vaccine did play havoc with his tach so they decreased his tacrimulous to only 3 pills a day.  

He does not take any of the meds that were on the study by john Hopkins transplant recipients so hoping he has some antibodies to covid. 

We cruise and travel several times a year and take all the precautions.  We always wipe down shopping carts, airplane seat area, purell, etc etc pre-covid.   Stay safe and enjoy life.

• Like 1