The Daily for Saturday May 15, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  I am actually just back from my spin, or actually half a spin.  It may be a couple of days before a full spin (or perhaps tomorrow morning) but my tentative reaction was a significant improvement which I think will continue improving for a few more days.

Roy

You're amazing, you had a major heart procedure yesterday, and today you're walking around the neighbourhood . . . wow!  Take care of yourself and try not to do too much!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Did they say anything about boiling water for a couple days? When I lived in an area where water mains were prone to breaking (steep hills), whenever one broke and was repaired they advised boiling water, or using bottled water for drinking and cooking for a while.

I

One of my neighbors brought me some jugs of distilled water -- I need to get more tomorrow,  just in case. Thank you!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  I am actually just back from my spin, or actually half a spin.  It may be a couple of days before a full spin (or perhaps tomorrow morning) but my tentative reaction was a significant improvement which I think will continue improving for a few more days.

Roy

🌺🌺🙏🙏

Yah! Doing a happy dance 💃 

So amazing!! You enjoy your new life Roy! All those prayers from sooooo many and the grace of GOD! Amazing the miracles! I pray for all our other CCERS for the same!

Goodnight😊

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My May 15 sunrise is from a 2017 string of cruises.  On May 15 the Crystal Symphony was at sea from Cartagenia Colombia to Charleston SC:

dawn0515.jpg

Roy

It is lovely seeing this post, Roy. Even more special than the picture you shared. 

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

You're amazing, you had a major heart procedure yesterday, and today you're walking around the neighbourhood . . . wow!  Take care of yourself and try not to do too much!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, Roy is spinning! Pay attention!  Ah, the visual.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Gerry, Roy is spinning! Pay attention!  Ah, the visual.....

I was going to use the word "tootling", but didn't know if y'all down south would know what I meant.  It's kind of like meandering or moseying.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, kazu said:

They are the bane of my existence, Deeni.  I’m getting frustrated.  Trying to move all my trays of plants inside and out.  Can’t put them on the deck to get the good sun because it’s in the process of being stained.

Can’t put them on the driveway where there is good sun because of the dam deer, so all I can do it put them in the fenced area of the porch which does not get enough sun 😔 

I hope by Monday I can start to use the deck.  I am way far behind now 😔 

Jacqui, I’ve been trying out a spray called Bobbex that is supposed to repel deer, rabbits, and squirrels. I used it in Chilliwack to protect plants the Rieslings were destroying and it works like magic! They still use the birdbath for water, and pass through the garden, but they haven’t touched the plants I sprayed. I’ve brought it to Salt Spring (yes! I’ve been able to go home!) to try to save plants from deer. Between what I’ve heard about it, and my experience with repelling squirrels, I’d recommend giving it a try.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Jacqui, I’ve been trying out a spray called Bobbex that is supposed to repel deer, rabbits, and squirrels. I used it in Chilliwack to protect plants the Rieslings were destroying and it works like magic! They still use the birdbath for water, and pass through the garden, but they haven’t touched the plants I sprayed. I’ve brought it to Salt Spring (yes! I’ve been able to go home!) to try to save plants from deer. Between what I’ve heard about it, and my experience with repelling squirrels, I’d recommend giving it a try.

We’ve tried it.  Here’s the problem.  If it rains through the night, everything is devastated.  Every time it rains it’s ineffective.

Even when it works here, the deer are determined.  They will find one spot that hasn’t been sprayed.  Our deer are too domesticated.  They come in packs of 7 often and have no fear of anything.  I can literally get within 6’ of one.  The only thing that deters our deer are a fence or a gun.

We don’t use guns so as much as I can is fenced.  My retaining wall (2 levels) was a disaster with deer poop. It’s cleaned out now.  The young ones walk on it when I can’t catch them and eat my “deer proof” plants.

But thanks.  Everyone here has tried everything from Bobbie to Irish Spring, etc.

At one stage my dog hair kept them away if I spread it around.  No longer.  They know where the invisible fencing line is and disregard the dog hair elsewhere.

They are truly a pest here.  They have proliferated to the point they are a risk and yet Northern New Brunswick is risking losing them and our Department of Natural Resources won’t send some there with the line “some will die”.  What happens when they are culled in the Fall?  Sheesh.  I hate stupidity.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

We’ve tried it.  Here’s the problem.  If it rains through the night, everything is devastated.  Every time it rains it’s ineffective.

Even when it works here, the deer are determined.  They will find one spot that hasn’t been sprayed.  Our deer are too domesticated.  They come in packs of 7 often and have no fear of anything.  I can literally get within 6’ of one.  The only thing that deters our deer are a fence or a gun.

We don’t use guns so as much as I can is fenced.  My retaining wall (2 levels) was a disaster with deer poop. It’s cleaned out now.  The young ones walk on it when I can’t catch them and eat my “deer proof” plants.

But thanks.  Everyone here has tried everything from Bobbie to Irish Spring, etc.

At one stage my dog hair kept them away if I spread it around.  No longer.  They know where the invisible fencing line is and disregard the dog hair elsewhere.

They are truly a pest here.  They have proliferated to the point they are a risk and yet Northern New Brunswick is risking losing them and our Department of Natural Resources won’t send some there with the line “some will die”.  What happens when they are culled in the Fall?  Sheesh.  I hate stupidity.

I’m sorry to hear the deer there have gotten that bad. And thanks for the heads up about the rain taking everything back to square one. Of course, Salt Spring is in the Pacific Rain Forest area. It can’t possibly get wet here, can it.😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m sorry to hear the deer there have gotten that bad. And thanks for the heads up about the rain taking everything back to square one. Of course, Salt Spring is in the Pacific Rain Forest area. It can’t possibly get wet here, can it.😏

LOL on the getting wet there 😂 

It might be different there IF you are deer aren’t so fearless.  They are literally unafraid of anything here - even the dogs unless we get to 3’.  I’ve proven it trying to train Miko not to get so excited.

I walked up to two yesterday at our mail box.  They didn’t move until I moved the car.  We were probably no more than 4 - 5’ away.  I know some of you think it’s neat but when you have hordes of them it’s not.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Still my hero, Roy! Prob can't wait to go back to the fire station! Understand they have La-Z-boys there 😉 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sky high D-Dimers are serious. Believe me, I know.  Did you have an ultrasound on the legs for a DVT? If not, go back and get one.  I am talking from experience and almost died.  

Thanks for your concern about my problems.

Terri

That is exactly what I was thinking.  @JazzyV Do be careful with this.   I would take @Cruzin Terri's advice.   I do know someone who died from a blood clot in the leg.   In her case, she was uninsured and the ER told her she couldn't afford the tests they wanted to do and suggested she go get insurance and come back.  This is now in court as an EMTALA violation.  

I live alone as well.   Carry your cell with you everywhere you go.  Keep it in your pocket.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL on the getting wet there 😂 

It might be different there IF you are deer aren’t so fearless.  They are literally unafraid of anything here - even the dogs unless we get to 3’.  I’ve proven it trying to train Miko not to get so excited.

I walked up to two yesterday at our mail box.  They didn’t move until I moved the car.  We were probably no more than 4 - 5’ away.  I know some of you think it’s neat but when you have hordes of them it’s not.  

Ours are not quite so bold or so numerous, but they truly are vandals. They will often destroy things they don’t even like out of spite.They will bite off flowers or tear off clumps of leaves and spit them out. One flower is an understandable test, but stripping a bush and leaving all the flowers on the ground is deliberate!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Returning to the mulch topic from the other day: the orange place nearest me is 20 miles away and I can't verify that they have cypress mulch. Mulch supply in general is regional, but I remember buying cypress mulch in Ohio, which is more or less in the same region, a couple of decades ago.

Not that I am ready for mulch. The main gardening accomplishment today was filling a raised bed that I built on Thursday. It's for a shade garden, in the only bit of my property that has any shade to speak of, but today there was more sun there than I remember from last year. The idea is to start putting plants in tomorrow afternoon before, or in the lulls of, intermittent rain -- it is hard to get water to that corner. Primula 'Supernova' will be the first to go in. Most of the other plants for it haven't come yet.

When I got the cypress mulch from the orange store, I always had to go there and hunt for it.  Our nearest orange store is 45 miles away, which is why I’m glad our local nursery carries it, and they even load it in the car.  Now, if they would just come spread it. 🤣 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks all for your prayers and commiserations.

I tried online to set up with my PCP, but no appointments. So I called the scheduling number and got in for Tuesday with her PA. I will try early Monday to get one of the coveted same day appointments. It's scary when you live alone. You hope you don't end up not able to call for help. I have been having neuropathy symptoms (tingling in my extremities) in addition, which I blame on Humira that I took for my eyes. I wonder about MS. No one seems to know anything for sure. I need a Dr. House (TV doc who could figure out the toughest cases).

I’m so sorry you are having so much trouble finding answers when you feel so bad.  I agree with the advice to keep your phone with you and to call 911 if you start to feel worse.  We know our bodies better than anyone else, so if necessary be persistent and a squeaky wheel.  

The good news is the negative COVID test.

Hope you feel better soon.

Lenda 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is exactly what I was thinking.  @JazzyV Do be careful with this.   I would take @Cruzin Terri's advice.   I do know someone who died from a blood clot in the leg.   In her case, she was uninsured and the ER told her she couldn't afford the tests they wanted to do and suggested she go get insurance and come back.  This is now in court as an EMTALA violation.  

I live alone as well.   Carry your cell with you everywhere you go.  Keep it in your pocket.   

i would take  @JazzyV to the hospital myself if i lived nearby.  I am really worried that this could be very serious. i was misdiagnosed and it almost cost me my life.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks all for your prayers and commiserations.

I tried online to set up with my PCP, but no appointments. So I called the scheduling number and got in for Tuesday with her PA. I will try early Monday to get one of the coveted same day appointments. It's scary when you live alone. You hope you don't end up not able to call for help. I have been having neuropathy symptoms (tingling in my extremities) in addition, which I blame on Humira that I took for my eyes. I wonder about MS. No one seems to know anything for sure. I need a Dr. House (TV doc who could figure out the toughest cases).

Tuesday is too far away.  You need to go get an ultrasound NOW!  I am surprised that the hospital did not do that.  Doing a CAT of the lungs only means the clot hasn’t gotten there yet.  Please do yourself a favor and go back to the hospital.  Do not wait until Tuesday.  PLEASE!

Terri

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m with you on Dr. House.  Wish we really had Diagnostic Clinics.  They would be a boon.

Two of the newspapers that I read have "mystery diagnosis" columns. While some of the conditions really are rare and hard to diagnose, it's striking how many of the patients were sent home from the ER after a couple of garden-variety tests came back normal. If they are lucky they're seen by a doctor who is genuinely curious rather than only following the playbook. But it has gotten harder for an ER to diagnose difficult cases, because the doctors are under pressure to get patients out as quickly as possible.

I was in the opposite position once. I was in the hospital for surgery to repair a broken arm, which was not at all hard to diagnose, but the hospitalists were bound and determined to find a serious heart condition. When they couldn't, they grew more and more frustrated and seemed to blame me for not having the condition that they wanted to diagnose. However, they did find that an irregularity in my blood chemistry had gotten worse since tests six months before, so it wasn't all for naught.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Tuesday is too far away.  You need to go get an ultrasound NOW!  I am surprised that the hospital did not do that.  Doing a CAT of the lungs only means the clot hasn’t gotten there yet.  Please do yourself a favor and go back to the hospital.  Do not wait until Tuesday.  PLEASE!

Terri

Exactly!   @JazzyV  Listen to Terri.  Please.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Terri thanks. I started having some thigh discomfort so I’m at the ER. A real high powered one, not that suburban country club one I went to earlier. It’s a busy Saturday night and my bed is in the hallway, but that’s ok. Waiting to be seen. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Terri thanks. I started having some thigh discomfort so I’m at the ER. A real high powered one, not that suburban country club one I went to earlier. It’s a busy Saturday night and my bed is in the hallway, but that’s ok. Waiting to be seen. 

Glad you’re at the hospital; praying for you, girl!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Glad you are there..... and be completely up front with them about how you are feeling. Keep us posted if you can.

Susan

• Like 6