Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

24 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Tdap (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis *whooping cough*) is not a yearly vaccine.  I believe shingles vaccine is 2 doses 6 months apart? 

Yes, could be.  People seem to be hung up on whether it's yearly or not.  I just get them when my doctor says it's a good idea and don't think about it much after that until he says I need them again.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Capt Stuebing said:

Yankees. Evryone was vaccin ated but the team has been hit pretty hard.

Any of them actually sick... or just testing positive.  I think that is the missing element in that story

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

If enough unvaccinated passengers were to contract COVID-19 on a cruise, the cruise experience is ruined for everyone if port authorities turn ships away knowing that cases are onboard. This is not including the possibility of eating take-out food from your cabins should enough cases surface.

Agree!  For me, the key issue is the consequences of an outbreak.  And the issue won't go away anytime soon.  Although Florida is just a bit below the national average at 36.2% vaxxed, the surrounding states are much worse:

Louisiana 29.9%
Arkansas 29.5%
Georgia 29.5%
Alabama 27.8%
Mississippi

26.2%

Many people in these states may never be vaccinated. So there could be persistent pockets of covid within easy driving distance of Florida's ports for the next several years or longer. 

So it seems reasonable to require adults to show proof of vaccination.  Unfortunately the governor and legislature have made it illegal.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Any of them actually sick... or just testing positive.  I think that is the missing element in that story

Yet they aren't w/ the team. If they were cruisers, they'd be quaratined and the media would be reporting it. 

Edited by Capt Stuebing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt Stuebing said:

Yankees. Evryone was vaccin ated but the team has been hit pretty hard.

No.  Eight players and coaching staff out of 50 on traveling team. Seven of the eight were completely asymptomatic.  Hardly “hit pretty hard”.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Agree!  For me, the key issue is the consequences of an outbreak.  And the issue won't go away anytime soon.  Although Florida is just a bit below the national average at 36.2% vaxxed, the surrounding states are much worse:

Louisiana 29.9%
Arkansas 29.5%
Georgia 29.5%
Alabama 27.8%
Mississippi

26.2%

Many people in these states may never be vaccinated. So there could be persistent pockets of covid within easy driving distance of Florida's ports for the next several years or longer. 

So it seems reasonable to require adults to show proof of vaccination.  Unfortunately the governor and legislature have made it illegal.

Just remarkable. Speaks volumes doesn’t it...

• Like 2

Louisiana 29.9%
Arkansas 29.5%
Georgia 29.5%
Alabama 27.8%
Mississippi

26.2%

1) The demographic of the unvaccinated in those states likely isn't the demographic getting on a cruise ship

2) You're not going to catch covid just driving through those states.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

1) The demographic of the unvaccinated in those states likely isn't the demographic getting on a cruise ship

2) You're not going to catch covid just driving through those states.

Wow, how would you know any of that? is this just your opinion or do you have facts? Especially # 1, and # 2, I guess you don't stop for bathroom breaks when driving through those states............just hold it?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Just remarkable. Speaks volumes doesn’t it...

It sure does.  For comparison, here are the top 10:

Maine 50.1%      
Connecticut 49.3%      
Vermont 48.4%      
Rhode Island 48%      
Massachusetts 47.7%      
New Jersey 45.2%      
New Mexico 44.9%      
Hawaii 44.7%      
Maryland 43.7%      
New York 43.4%  
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

No.  Eight players and coaching staff out of 50 on traveling team. Seven of the eight were completely asymptomatic.  Hardly “hit pretty hard”.  

OK 10 out 50. Soooo.... let's see. A cruise ship w/ 4500 vaccinated people using the same %.... that would be... 900 people. You're right.... that would be hardly "hit pretty hard".

🤣 😄🤣

• Like 1

It sure does.  For comparison, here are the top 10:

Maine 50.1%      
Connecticut 49.3%      
Vermont 48.4%      
Rhode Island 48%      
Massachusetts 47.7%      
New Jersey 45.2%      
New Mexico 44.9%      
Hawaii 44.7%      
Maryland 43.7%      
New York 43.4%  

Agreed. The blue states appear to be a bit more worried & concerned. I'm not sure if it's practical but do you think they could just allow cruise ships to be filled w/ people that flash their IDs from Blue states? That would go around Fla laws but still do the same thing.  

18 minutes ago, Capt Stuebing said:

Agreed. The blue states appear to be a bit more worried & concerned. I'm not sure if it's practical but do you think they could just allow cruise ships to be filled w/ people that flash their IDs from Blue states? That would go around Fla laws but still do the same thing.  

Well, I guess it wouldn't do exactly the same thing unless/until the blue states get closer to 100% vaxxed. You're definitely thinking outside the box though!

I'm not a lawyer, so I've no idea about the legal aspects of this.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes

4 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Louisiana 29.9%
Arkansas 29.5%
Georgia 29.5%
Alabama 27.8%
Mississippi

26.2%

Bear in mind that Florida is 500 miles long. While Southern Alabama and Southern Georgia are close to Florida's northern border, they are not an easy driving distance to the FL ports, especially Port Everglades and PortMiami.  Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana are closer to the Port of New Orleans. A 200 mile radius is what is usually considered an easy driving distance and only encompasses areas in Florida.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Bear in mind that Florida is 500 miles long. While Southern Alabama and Southern Georgia are close to Florida's northern border, they are not an easy driving distance to the FL ports, especially Port Everglades and PortMiami.  Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana are closer to the Port of New Orleans. A 200 mile radius is what is usually considered an easy driving distance and only encompasses areas in Florida.  

Good point.   I didn't know that 'easy' had a technical meaning.  Maybe reasonable driving distance is a better term.

I don't know how many people come from the surrounding states, either flying or driving, to cruise.  But it seems likely that there are many, just as there are many out west who drive to Vegas.

Also thanks for mentioning the Port of New Orleans.  I did a quick search for the fate of Louisiana's bill banning proof of vaccine requirements, but did not find evidence that it has become law yet.  Maybe someone from there could fill me in.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes

2 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Good point.   I didn't know that 'easy' had a technical meaning.  Maybe reasonable driving distance is a better term.

I don't know how many people come from the surrounding states, either flying or driving, to cruise.  But it seems likely that there are many, just as there are many out west who drive to Vegas.

Also thanks for mentioning the Port of New Orleans.  I did a quick search for the fate of Louisiana's bill banning proof of vaccine requirements, but did not find evidence that it has become law yet.  Maybe someone from there could fill me in.

LOL not technical only commonsensical.  Sure, people come to FL ports from all over the world not just from the Southern states, as they do for all other ports. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt Stuebing said:

OK 10 out 50. Soooo.... let's see. A cruise ship w/ 4500 vaccinated people using the same %.... that would be... 900 people. You're right.... that would be hardly "hit pretty hard".

🤣 😄🤣

Ok, the math is not as simple as you make it out to be.  First, all of the players and staff had the J&J vaccine on April 7.  There is a four week period following the shot for full vaccination to be effective. The cases were found the first week of May, which means the infections likely occurred up to a week earlier, well within that 4 week window. There was carelessness somewhere.  You cannot make a perfect correlation between the Yankees and a cruise ship with fully vaccinated cruisers. Finally, the most important factor is that 7 of the 8 infections were asymptomatic and were only found because of constant testing. According to the new CDC rules, there will be no required testing for vaccinated cruisers out of the US.  It’s likely no asymptomatic cases would be found. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

According to the new CDC rules, there will be no required testing for vaccinated cruisers out of the US.  It’s likely no asymptomatic cases would be found. 

I suppose the lesson from the Yankees is that frequent testing can reasonably expected to produce some positive results, even if asymptomatic.  Good news that CDC won't require testing of vaccinated passengers, but what might foreign ports require for arriving cruise passengers?  And what about cruises originating outside the US?  My main concern at this point is about how cruise lines and ports will respond to the positive test results that will inevitably emerge. 

20 minutes ago, JimVB said:

I suppose the lesson from the Yankees is that frequent testing can reasonably expected to produce some positive results, even if asymptomatic.  Good news that CDC won't require testing of vaccinated passengers, but what might foreign ports require for arriving cruise passengers?  And what about cruises originating outside the US?  My main concern at this point is about how cruise lines and ports will respond to the positive test results that will inevitably emerge. 

I think the Yankees was a special circumstance and likely resulted from carelessness and poor timing in the vaccination process. 

What foreign ports will require is a good question, but it would seem that some are not requiring any test for vaccinated passengers. For example, the Bahamas no longer requires one. The EU just a day or so ago announced that vaccinated persons, including Americans,  could travel into their member countries without a test.  More and more countries will probably be going this route as time goes on. 

If other countries do require tests then any positive test could present a problem, but that problem would likely be found before the passenger even boarded the ship.  I don’t think anyone knows with any specific detail at this time how a ship would handle one or more infections on board, but at least with vaccinated passengers there would be a reduced risk of significant illness and spread on board. 

Edited by harkinmr

5 hours ago, Capt Stuebing said:

Yet they aren't w/ the team. If they were cruisers, they'd be quaratined and the media would be reporting it. 

Pretty sure the media is reporting it — otherwise how did you hear about it?

So, just curious— you asked me a direct question earlier.  Any particular reason why, or something specific you hoped to glean? 

20 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Pretty sure the media is reporting it — otherwise how did you hear about it?

So, just curious— you asked me a direct question earlier.  Any particular reason why, or something specific you hoped to glean? 

I meant the media would be reporting a covid break out on a ship. I'm concerned as the next person. But my concern is about the ports we would visit and the unvaccinated people that we come into contact with. As opposed to any non vaccinated cruiser. And no there was nothing sinister or devious in my question to you. I just wanted your thoughts. I will ask no more questions of you. And I truly hope that the question did not bother you. 

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Ok, the math is not as simple as you make it out to be.  First, all of the players and staff had the J&J vaccine on April 7.  There is a four week period following the shot for full vaccination to be effective. The cases were found the first week of May, which means the infections likely occurred up to a week earlier, well within that 4 week window. There was carelessness somewhere.  You cannot make a perfect correlation between the Yankees and a cruise ship with fully vaccinated cruisers. Finally, the most important factor is that 7 of the 8 infections were asymptomatic and were only found because of constant testing. According to the new CDC rules, there will be no required testing for vaccinated cruisers out of the US.  It’s likely no asymptomatic cases would be found. 

Are you confident those dates and timelines are accurate?

8 minutes ago, Capt Stuebing said:

I meant the media would be reporting a covid break out on a ship. I'm concerned as the next person. But my concern is about the ports we would visit and the unvaccinated people that we come into contact with. As opposed to any non vaccinated cruiser. And no there was nothing sinister or devious in my question to you. I just wanted your thoughts. I will ask no more questions of you. And I truly hope that the question did not bother you. 

Really?  That was not the impression I got from your media comment. It seemed like you meant the media wasn’t reporting the Yankee outbreak, but would report a cruise one.  Sorry, I’m usually better at gauging nuance.

Sinister and devious?.  Did I say anything like that?  You asked very detailed questions, and then ignored my response.  Seemed weird to me.