Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

mRNA technology promises to revolutionize future vaccines and treatments for cancer, infectious diseases | AAMC

"The first U.S. vaccines against the disease emerged from decades of university research....."

I'm fully aware mRNA vaccines (and other treatments) have been in the lab for quite some time now. This is the first time outside the lab and on hundreds millions of people worldwide.

And further it's not the same AT ALL to be in development to medical use approval. So your point is moot.

Edited by coldflame

10 minutes ago, coldflame said:

I'm fully aware mRNA vaccines (and other treatments) have been in the lab for quite some time now. This is the first time outside the lab and on hundreds millions of people worldwide.

And further it's not the same AT ALL to be in development to medical use approval. So your point is moot.

Will have full FDA approval by the end of the year 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jrapps said:

For what it is worth, I did a poll in a different cruise forum (For Disney Cruise Line) a few weeks back....70% of the responses said they wouldn't feel comfortable at this time going back on a cruise ship unless there was a vaccine required to sail. Obviously things change over time, but I think its a decent indication that a majority of people want vaccines required to cruise (for now at least)

People do just want to cruise again but they also want to do so safely. At this time, only 36.7% of the US population is fully vaccinated. 47% have had at least one dose, and we are just now starting to vaccinate kids 12+. All indications point to us achieving somewhere around 50% of the nation fully vaccinated between mid June and end of July. Still very much below the level needed for herd immunity.

I actually think all of this vaccine vs no vaccine required madness will be gone by October/November of this year because around end of summer, the vaccine will likely be approved for ages 5+. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, once my entire family can and does have the vaccine, I will no longer care who else has it, we are protected, and I think that is the mentality we are moving towards. Once the vaccine is readily available to everyone, those vaccinated will no longer care if others have it or not because we will be protected. (I realize 4 and under won't be until next year at the earliest but at that point you are at such a minuscule % of people on a cruise ship)

My prediction: From July to Oct, you will see cruises outside FL doing vaccine required for 12+ (or 18+). In FL they will be more cautious, do test cruises instead and a dramatically reduce the number of sailings possibly not doing revenue cruises until Aug/Sept. Come Oct/Nov, the mask requirements on cruise ships will scale way back, vaccine requirements will drop, and cruising will mostly be back to normal, still with social distancing and mask "recommendations" but not enforced.

I just read that 59% of US has at least one dose.

• Like 2

Just now, CI66774 said:

I just read that 59% of US has at least one dose.

59% of ADULTS 18+ have gotten their first dose. That is 47.4% of the total US population. For those 18+, 47.2% are fully vaccinated. It can take up to 6 weeks for those to be fully covered. (4 weeks for everyone who got Moderna to get 2nd shot plus 2 weeks to be "fully" covered") so if everyone who got a 1st shot gets their 2nd, then in 6 weeks we will be around 59% of adults fully vaccinated. Might be higher if enough people get J&J, but could be lower since some people aren't getting their 2nd shot.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

I stand by my #s earlier, We wont be at 50% of EVERYONE in US FULLY vaccinated until Mid June to Late July

• Like 1

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Will have full FDA approval by the end of the year 

The expected completion date for the clinical trial for 18 and over is 10/27/2022 

Edited by kamabet
  • Like 1

I want to cruise right away in any case.

We are vaccinated and know how to keep distance (never in the crowd).

In the last 6 months we vacationed in Mexico twice (before vaccinations) with all precautions.

I do not think pandemic will hit the ship, but should something happen, I can work remotely from the ship which I have done on many occasions in the last 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kamabet said:

The expected completion date for the clinical trial for 18 and over is 10/27/2022 

This is only half true. Context is everything.

Moderna is doing a clinical trial, that began on July 27, 2020. The trial is set to "complete" on Oct 27, 2022 because one of the things the trial is measuring is if the antibody coverage last "up to 2 years"

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427

This does NOT mean that they won't have enough data to prove that 1)the vaccine is safe and 2)It created antibodies to protect before the full 2 years is up, and it also does not mean that the full 2 years must complete before the FDA can give full FDA approval. Clinical trials happen all the time, even on medications that are already FDA approved.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

This is only half true. Context is everything.

Moderna is doing a clinical trial, that began on July 27, 2020. The trial is set to "complete" on Oct 27, 2022 because one of the things the trial is measuring is if the antibody coverage last "up to 2 years"

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427

This does NOT mean that they won't have enough data to prove that 1)the vaccine is safe and 2)It created antibodies to protect before the full 2 years is up, and it also does not mean that the full 2 years must complete before the FDA can give full FDA approval. Clinical trials happen all the time, even on medications that are already FDA approved.

Pfizer has stated on their SEC earnings calls that they expect full FDA approval before 4th quarter. 

• Like 2

Pfizer also has a clinical trial. It's Primary completion date is listed as 10/29/21 so I expect that is when they will apply for full FDA Approval. The full Pfizer study completion date is April 6, 2023.

For those curious, a Primary completion date is the date on which the last participant in a clinical study was examined or received an intervention to collect final data for the primary outcome measure.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

Edit - for those curious, the "full completion" date of the study in 2023 includes a 3rd and possibly 4th booster shot for variants

Edited by jrapps

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Pfizer also has a clinical trial. It's Primary completion date is listed as 10/29/21 so I expect that is when they will apply for full FDA Approval. The full Pfizer study completion date is April 6, 2023.

For those curious, a Primary completion date is the date on which the last participant in a clinical study was examined or received an intervention to collect final data for the primary outcome measure.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

Pfizer’s application will be submitted in late May

Based on information I believe to be true.  I am fully vaccinated and no longer worry about having Covid or catching it in any circumstance weather around non-vaccinated or not .

Reference the News story of 8 MLB players or staff testing positive last week.  Again context, all had single shot J&J (less than 80% efficacy).  All but one of the coaches and staff members who tested positive are asymptomatic. the other one had mild symptoms.  So if they were not constantly testing in MLB, 7 of the 8 would have never know they had it.

Just let me on a cruise ship, i know my risk and I'm good with it

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Based on information I believe to be true.  I am fully vaccinated and no longer worry about having Covid or catching it in any circumstance weather around non-vaccinated or not .

Reference the News story of 8 MLB players or staff testing positive last week.  Again context, all had single shot J&J (less than 80% efficacy).  All but one of the coaches and staff members who tested positive are asymptomatic. the other one had mild symptoms.  So if they were not constantly testing in MLB, 7 of the 8 would have never know they had it.

Just a note about J&J - the efficacy was affected by the fact its trials were conducted later than Moderna and Pfizer and, unlike the other two, accounted for Covid variants. So in the end, they're all highly effective and all three have had breakthrough Covid cases - not unusual.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

As soon as all of my kids are eligible for the vaccine, I will share this perspective. I believe in the vaccines. Even if I catch Covid now, chances are I will asymptomatic. But until my kids can get vaccinated, I can't take that chance.

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

As soon as all of my kids are eligible for the vaccine, I will share this perspective. I believe in the vaccines. Even if I catch Covid now, chances are I will asymptomatic. But until my kids can get vaccinated, I can't take that chance.

Understand.  Since i am now retired, I don't have to worry about children.

It wouldn't be the first time I could not do something because I had them, if i had unvacinated children, I would just have to stay home and not cruise.

9 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Just a note about J&J - the efficacy was affected by the fact its trials were conducted later than Moderna and Pfizer and, unlike the other two, accounted for Covid variants. So in the end, they're all highly effective and all three have had breakthrough Covid cases - not unusual.

The efficacy fluctuates based on follow up data. 
Efficacy of all 3 FDA approved vaccines is floating around 83%-85%  currently. Statistically insignificant differences between the 3. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The efficacy fluctuates based on follow up data. 
Efficacy of all 3 FDA approved vaccines is floating around 83%-85%  currently. Statistically insignificant differences between the 3. 

Thank you for the info!

The blog is reporting that Carnival intends to start in the US in July WITHOUT requiring vaccinations

Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy said in an interview with NBC Nightly News the cruise line is working with the CDC to gain permission to restart sailings in July, which will carry no vaccine mandate for passengers in order to sail.

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, smokeybandit said:

The CDC was never going to require vaccines. They're  just going to make it difficult on cruise lines that don't

They can not require experimental vaccines. It is illegal in several different ways. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The blog is reporting that Carnival intends to start in the US in July WITHOUT requiring vaccinations

Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy said in an interview with NBC Nightly News the cruise line is working with the CDC to gain permission to restart sailings in July, which will carry no vaccine mandate for passengers in order to sail.

Which means they'll be doing test cruises.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FOXTROT said:

They can not require experimental vaccines. It is illegal in several different ways. 

The CDC can not mandate a vaccination even if it’s fully approved. The EUA status has nothing to do with it. 
Many organizations and schools around the country are mandating the Covid vaccine. 

I think going on a cruise ship without several kinds of vaccinations would be ill advised.  We get our flu shots, shingles, and other vaccinations yearly.  Now we've added COVID shots to the mix.  We also do the hand washing, distancing (when possible) and are willing to wear masks if we're in a crowd.  I'm not to afraid of getting the disease any more, but I would like cruise lines to be safe from the media whipping they'll get it even a few cases happen again.  People are just waiting to pounce.  So, since I like cruising, I want cruising to still be available... win win.

• Like 3