Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, atgood said:

It appears the 98% crew / 95% passenger vaccination requirement has been removed.  I can’t find it now in the updated guidance. 

It's still there

Option in Lieu of a Simulated Voyage

In lieu of conducting a simulated voyage, cruise ship operator responsible officials, at their discretion, may sign and submit to CDC an attestation under 18 U.S.C. § 1001 that 98 percent of crew are fully vaccinated and submit to CDC a clear and specific vaccination plan and timeline to limit cruise ship sailings to 95 percent of passengers who have been verified by the cruise ship operator as fully vaccinated prior to sailing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, atgood said:

Thanks for asking.  I was wondering the same thing.

Why wouldn't you. You have nothing to lose. The Cruise lines have nothing to lose by requiring it. An outbreak on a ship will be catastrophic for the cruise lines. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's still there

Option in Lieu of a Simulated Voyage

In lieu of conducting a simulated voyage, cruise ship operator responsible officials, at their discretion, may sign and submit to CDC an attestation under 18 U.S.C. § 1001 that 98 percent of crew are fully vaccinated and submit to CDC a clear and specific vaccination plan and timeline to limit cruise ship sailings to 95 percent of passengers who have been verified by the cruise ship operator as fully vaccinated prior to sailing.

Would you please post the link?  I’m looking at https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html and I’m not seeing it. TIA. 

18 minutes ago, jptoz said:

Why wouldn't you. You have nothing to lose. The Cruise lines have nothing to lose by requiring it. An outbreak on a ship will be catastrophic for the cruise lines. 

You previously made a blanket statement which is basically your opinion which you are totally entitled to.  

I’d surmise the majority of those vaccinated would prefer 100% vaccination requirement.  I’d also surmise though that the majority not vaccinated do not want a 100% vaccine requirement. 

I agree with you that a COVID outbreak needs to be avoided. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atgood said:

You previously made a blanket statement which is basically your opinion which you are totally entitled to.  

I’d surmise the majority of those vaccinated would prefer 100% vaccination requirement.  I’d also surmise though that the majority not vaccinated do not want a 100% vaccine requirement. 

I agree with you that a COVID outbreak needs to be avoided. 

Yes totally correct, just my opinion. But  If you look at the link  that smokeybandit posted. To me it looks like 98% and 95% rule.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's in the technical instructions for the test cruises

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

I’m curious.  The test cruises may be skipped if the cruise line provides a timeline to limit the 98/95 cruises.  The length of the “timeline” isn’t specified.  What comes after that?   Unrestricted/restricted cruises without the 98/95 vaccine requirement after a TBD amount of time.   

It’s odd the 98/95 requirement appears in the part to bypass trial cruises, but not listed the restricted cruises section too. 

13 minutes ago, atgood said:

It’s odd the 98/95 requirement appears in the part to bypass trial cruises, but not listed the restricted cruises section too. 

So if a cruise line does the test cruise(s) successfully, it doesn’t have to stick to the 98/95 vaccine requirement for the restricted cruises that follow (from the US) is how I interpret it.  I’m not trying to do a creative interpreting, but that’s what I’m reading. 

8 minutes ago, atgood said:

So if a cruise line does the test cruise(s) successfully, it doesn’t have to stick to the 98/95 vaccine requirement for the restricted cruises that follow (from the US) is how I interpret it.  I’m not trying to do a creative interpreting, but that’s what I’m reading. 

I agree with your interpretation, and I think the CDC purposefully did this to persuade the cruise lines to incorporate vaccines in their first US sailings. 

I would argue that the majority of cruisers want cruising to happen sooner than later, especially paid passenger July sailings. If this is to happen, the path provided by test cruises is simply too long and challenging. The bureaucratic hoops the cruise lines will have to jump through on top of implementing strict protocols on these sailings that are meant to be close to perfect by the CDC's standards will take a considerable amount of time. To think that the first paid passenger sailings coming from the cruise lines will be vaccine-optional is unreasonable.

Based on Royal's Q1 '21 earnings call, it seems like Fain is contemplating pursuing both paths. The vaccinated path will likely yield US sailings in July, while the other path will yield US sailings at a later date that is not July. So, those who choose to be unvaccinated will eventually have the opportunity to cruise. They just won't be joining us in July.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, atgood said:

I’m curious.  The test cruises may be skipped if the cruise line provides a timeline to limit the 98/95 cruises.  The length of the “timeline” isn’t specified.  What comes after that?   Unrestricted/restricted cruises without the 98/95 vaccine requirement after a TBD amount of time.   

The cruise lines would be committing to vaccinated cruises for the duration of the CSO. In other words, they can’t just say “yeah hey we’ll do vaccinated cruises” and then “wink wink, nah we’re not going to do those anymore”.  Why in the world would the CDC allow that to happen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts.... the concern over vax vs non vax w/ regards to disruptions of a cruise is absolutely no different than booking a cruise during hurricane season in the caribbean. Covid is going to be around for awhile if not longer. So you might has well get used to it. Think of it as a long hurrican season. If you book a cuise knowing the possibly is there for a covid disruption it really isn't any difference than booking during huricane disruption.

Yet people still book those hurricane season cruises. Now granted one can get sick... but one can get sick anywhere. The likelyhood of getting ill though has been minimized via the vax. 

So if you feel compelled to go on a cruise... go for it. We're sitting out a year and waiting for hoplefully better timing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

people are too worried about outbreaks on ships. There barely were any outbreaks back in March 2020. There won't be any now with all the protocols in place.

Seriously? Covid was just in the beginning stages so of course there weren’t that many outbreaks back in March. What about April and May, etc?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

My thoughts.... the concern over vax vs non vax w/ regards to disruptions of a cruise is absolutely no different than booking a cruise during hurricane season in the caribbean. Covid is going to be around for awhile if not longer. So you might has well get used to it. Think of it as a long hurrican season. If you book a cuise knowing the possibly is there for a covid disruption it really isn't any difference than booking during huricane disruption.

Yet people still book those hurricane season cruises. Now granted one can get sick... but one can get sick anywhere. The likelyhood of getting ill though has been minimized via the vax. 

So if you feel compelled to go on a cruise... go for it. We're sitting out a year and waiting for hoplefully better timing. 

There’s a difference between covid and hurricanes. Hurricanes usually change itineraries while covid could possibly end a cruise. Not the same.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

There’s a difference between covid and hurricanes. Hurricanes usually change itineraries while covid could possibly end a cruise. Not the same.

Naw... it's the same. Covid might alter itenerarires these days. And if there are those that are that concerned then don't go or buy better travel insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on what?

I think the majority just want to cruise again

For what it is worth, I did a poll in a different cruise forum (For Disney Cruise Line) a few weeks back....70% of the responses said they wouldn't feel comfortable at this time going back on a cruise ship unless there was a vaccine required to sail. Obviously things change over time, but I think its a decent indication that a majority of people want vaccines required to cruise (for now at least)

People do just want to cruise again but they also want to do so safely. At this time, only 36.7% of the US population is fully vaccinated. 47% have had at least one dose, and we are just now starting to vaccinate kids 12+. All indications point to us achieving somewhere around 50% of the nation fully vaccinated between mid June and end of July. Still very much below the level needed for herd immunity.

I actually think all of this vaccine vs no vaccine required madness will be gone by October/November of this year because around end of summer, the vaccine will likely be approved for ages 5+. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, once my entire family can and does have the vaccine, I will no longer care who else has it, we are protected, and I think that is the mentality we are moving towards. Once the vaccine is readily available to everyone, those vaccinated will no longer care if others have it or not because we will be protected. (I realize 4 and under won't be until next year at the earliest but at that point you are at such a minuscule % of people on a cruise ship)

My prediction: From July to Oct, you will see cruises outside FL doing vaccine required for 12+ (or 18+). In FL they will be more cautious, do test cruises instead and a dramatically reduce the number of sailings possibly not doing revenue cruises until Aug/Sept. Come Oct/Nov, the mask requirements on cruise ships will scale way back, vaccine requirements will drop, and cruising will mostly be back to normal, still with social distancing and mask "recommendations" but not enforced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

They don't quarantine in your cabin for passing through a hurricane. There will be a difference with a covid outbreak onboard.

Exactly.  They don’t quarantine you after you get off the ship for a hurricane either.  They don’t separate you from your family either, if you end up in the hospital for a Hurricane injury.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC was never going to require vaccines. They're  just going to make it difficult on cruise lines that don't

You mean they are hoping that the cruise lines will bring in a permanent mask mandate along with vaccine requirements neither of which probably could not be challenged in court in the same way that maybe a permanent mask mandate from the CDC could be. And also that that mask mandate would be fleet or worldwide which the CDC probably could not do even through threats of banning cruise ships from entering U.S waters unless masks are on their entire fleet.

Edited by ace2542

6 hours ago, jrapps said:

People do just want to cruise again but they also want to do so safely. At this time, only 36.7% of the US population is fully vaccinated. 47% have had at least one dose, and we are just now starting to vaccinate kids 12+. All indications point to us achieving somewhere around 50% of the nation fully vaccinated between mid June and end of July. Still very much below the level needed for herd immunity

Isn't that fully vaccinated figure going up by like 2% per day or 1.5% per day? So by mid June end of July won't that figure be closer to what 65 even 70%.

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You mean they are hoping that the cruise lines will bring in a permanent mask mandate along with vaccine requirements neither of which probably could not be challenged in court in the same way that maybe a permanent mask mandate from the CDC could be. And also that that mask mandate would be fleet or worldwide which the CDC probably could not do even through threats of banning cruise ships from entering U.S waters unless masks are on their entire fleet.

Looks like the masks for ever / masks for life pipe dream has entered the bygone era. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

They don't quarantine in your cabin for passing through a hurricane. There will be a difference with a covid outbreak onboard.

5 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Exactly.  They don’t quarantine you after you get off the ship for a hurricane either.  They don’t separate you from your family either, if you end up in the hospital for a Hurricane injury.

Very true. Definitely not the same as a hurricane. 

Edited by time4u2go