Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

51 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The chances of that happening is  close to zero and RCI would pick up the tab.

Not from what I read so far for the cruises sailing out of Bermuda this summer.  Last I read Bermuda would require quarantine at the travelers expense.   But that can change too.

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

Not I...a certain poster was crusading for masks for life -- their pipe dream has vanished. 

That’s crazy.  I get it why we have needed to wear them, and I’m willing to do so while we are dealing with the kind of numbers we still have, but yeah, can’t wait to ditch them. 

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not from what I read so far for the cruises sailing out of Bermuda this summer.  Last I read Bermuda would require quarantine at the travelers expense.   But that can change too.

There is info in the RCI fine print for their summer sailings about them covering you for quarantine (food, hotel, flight arrangements etc) even after disembarkation.  I read it back when I booked, so too many weeks ago to quote exactly, but I believe that is what is being referenced.  Bahamas is requiring you get their health visa, which has additional Covid coverage built into the visa fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

90% vaccinated?  We have a long way to go to reach that number, mostly because there are too many who are scared to take the vaccine.  And I’m not talking about the small percentage that can’t or shouldn’t get it due to legitimate health contraindications.

The ships will sail at 90%

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I understand your comparison that a cruise may have to return port early for a hurricane, but the big difference is I dont have to pay for a hotel to stay in for 14 days for quarantine.    That adds several thousand to a cruise, plus whatever additional airfare would be.

That won’t happen. Today May 16th, 2021 is not March 15th, 2020. We are in a completely different world. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Then he will debate that apples and oranges are the same..........You know they are both fruits and both are round..........they are the SAME.

They are round and they are fruit. Tell me I’m wrong. 

Look you can argue all day long.... I don’t really even care. But some are hiding behind the poll question based on their selfish ways. My comparison is spot on. Hurricanes cause disruptions ... fact. But they still fill the ships every hurricane season. And they’ll do the same w Covid. Vaxed  or non Vaxed the ships will sail to the capacities allowed.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

That won’t happen. Today May 16th, 2021 is not March 15th, 2020. We are in a completely different world. 

As of last week, bermuda requires quarantine at your own expense if you trst positive.  Health visa does not cover the expense like those sailing out of bahamas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

I think this is awesome! I am not jabbed and have no intention of getting jabbed. I think it’s very discriminatory to assume all of us want or will take this fake jab.  I work with 3 people that are fully vaccinated.  They all ended  up with Covid (aka flu A/B)  about 2 months later.  I also work with someone pregnant that took her jabs while pregnant.  She gave birth to a full term still born the last week of April. Two other friends now have neurological issues that they never had before their jabs.  😡 The media has hyped this stuff so far up, it’s all a smoke screen. 

This is why we can't have nice things...

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:
41 minutes ago, koolZip said:

This is why we can't have nice things...oh please just stop. If you don’t have nice things in life that’s on you.... no one else. Step up to the plate of self responsibility 

*whoosh*

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't that fully vaccinated figure going up by like 2% per day or 1.5% per day? So by mid June end of July won't that figure be closer to what 65 even 70%.

It's under 0.5% per day and slowing. On 4/21, 26% of the US was fully vaccinated. By 5/3 that was at 31.8% (a little less than 0.5% per day). On 5/14 we were at 36.2%, slowing to 0.4% per day. Even assuming it doesn't slow any more, best case is 12% fully vaccinated a month, so Mid June will be around 49%. If the pace continues to slow, could take into July or later.

The people who were super excited to get vaccinated already did it. Now you are getting people who were sort of interested but cautious. Soon it will only be people that weren't originally going to but changed their mind. 

I doubt we will ever get to 70%

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

90% vaccinated?  We have a long way to go to reach that number, mostly because there are too many who are scared to take the vaccine.  And I’m not talking about the small percentage that can’t or shouldn’t get it due to legitimate health contraindications.

The 90% is number for on Cruise Ships. In USA we'll be lucky if ever hit 60% of all get Vaccinated. Though most declining are not afraid or AntiVaxers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jptoz said:

The majority of the passengers want mandatory  vaccination requirements. I don't know what the big deal is, just do it and get sailing again. The cruise would be fool not to require it.. This seems like a pissing match between Desantis and the CDC.

Can you provide data to back this assertion or is your confirmation bias speaking?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

The 90% is number for on Cruise Ships. In USA we'll be lucky if ever hit 60% of all get Vaccinated. Though most declining are not afraid or AntiVaxers.

I absolutely loathe how there is no middle ground anymore. If someone chooses not to take a vaccine they're antivaxxers. How about they're science people with family in the medical field who share concerns about taking a vaccine that has, as of this writing, less than one year in development? Did you know that normally vaccines can take 3-5 years to be approved? And nope it's certainly not because bureaucracy. It's because vaccines require scientific rigor and longitudinal studies before approval that were completely and entirely waived due to COVID (good reason to do so, of course, but doesn't change the fact how relatively poorly tested both mRNA vaccines are).

Edited by coldflame
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

It's under 0.5% per day and slowing. On 4/21, 26% of the US was fully vaccinated. By 5/3 that was at 31.8% (a little less than 0.5% per day). On 5/14 we were at 36.2%, slowing to 0.4% per day. Even assuming it doesn't slow any more, best case is 12% fully vaccinated a month, so Mid June will be around 49%. If the pace continues to slow, could take into July or later.

The people who were super excited to get vaccinated already did it. Now you are getting people who were sort of interested but cautious. Soon it will only be people that weren't originally going to but changed their mind. 

I doubt we will ever get to 70%

I think you will once it hits the schools and the colleges and summer camps start to demand it. What are the kids going gonna do not go to college?

31 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I think you will once it hits the schools and the colleges and summer camps start to demand it. What are the kids going gonna do not go to college?

In US we had Parents of 60% kids saying they were not going get their Kids Vaccines when Pandemic was at Peak. Now that winding down suspect be even less. Here Millions Kids been in school since last Summer, many w/o Masks. Been Fortunate as 600K Deaths only few hundred were Children. Even though Influenza was record low last yr we had more Kids die from Flu then Covid, and we are still Lucky if we get 50% Vaccinated every yr. At this point just dont see Demand or Requirement for Covid Vaccines for kids. Then having 4 young Grand Daughters and there isnt even Vaccine for them yet. College, haven't heard anything in while but when did before only couple were thinking about requiring Vaccine for next Fall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

In US we had Parents of 60% kids saying they were not going get their Kids Vaccines when Pandemic was at Peak. Now that winding down suspect be even less. Here Millions Kids been in school since last Summer, many w/o Masks. Been Fortunate as 600K Deaths only few hundred were Children. Even though Influenza was record low last yr we had more Kids die from Flu then Covid, and we are still Lucky if we get 50% Vaccinated every yr. At this point just dont see Demand or Requirement for Covid Vaccines for kids. Then having 4 young Grand Daughters and there isnt even Vaccine for them yet. College, haven't heard anything in while but when did before only couple were thinking about requiring Vaccine for next Fall. 

I think it depends upon a lot of factors for the college but some will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

College age adults (18-29) represent 16% of the population. 27% of this age group are fully vaccinated so there is potential for upside there. Still, you can't assume every school will require it or that all will get it. If you assume that best case you hit 70% of this age group (and I'm not sure you do) that represents 11% of the US population.

Younger kids will probably track closely to their parents. It's not a perfect assumption, but for the most part I would assume that adults who were likely to get vaccinated are likely to vaccinate their kids, and vice versa. So somewhere between 30-50% of kids under 18.

When I have more time l'll probably do a more thorough analysis from the CDC website data.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coldflame said:

I absolutely loathe how there is no middle ground anymore. If someone chooses not to take a vaccine they're antivaxxers. How about they're science people with family in the medical field who share concerns about taking a vaccine that has, as of this writing, less than one year in development? Did you know that normally vaccines can take 3-5 years to be approved? And nope it's certainly not because bureaucracy. It's because vaccines require scientific rigor and longitudinal studies before approval that were completely and entirely waived due to COVID (good reason to do so, of course, but doesn't change the fact how relatively poorly tested both mRNA vaccines are).

mRNA technology promises to revolutionize future vaccines and treatments for cancer, infectious diseases | AAMC

"The first U.S. vaccines against the disease emerged from decades of university research....."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Some colleges plan to require it. Others "highly encourage it"

I expect some lawsuits against the colleges (specifically ones that get federal funding) since they aren't allowed to require a vaccine under EUA. 

Very shortly they will have a fully FDA approved vaccine. 

• Like 1