Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the CDC is not going to require vaccines, would you want to cruise right away?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, tserface said:

I think going on a cruise ship without several kinds of vaccinations would be ill advised.  We get our flu shots, shingles, and other vaccinations yearly.  Now we've added COVID shots to the mix.  We also do the hand washing, distancing (when possible) and are willing to wear masks if we're in a crowd.  I'm not to afraid of getting the disease any more, but I would like cruise lines to be safe from the media whipping they'll get it even a few cases happen again.  People are just waiting to pounce.  So, since I like cruising, I want cruising to still be available... win win.

Other than flu shots, what vaccination to you get yearly?

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

The blog is reporting that Carnival intends to start in the US in July WITHOUT requiring vaccinations

Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy said in an interview with NBC Nightly News the cruise line is working with the CDC to gain permission to restart sailings in July, which will carry no vaccine mandate for passengers in order to sail.

Figures. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve noticed that companies are not requiring proof of vaccinations for employees to go maskless. Even DOJ and other government agencies that have lifted mask requirements for vaccinated employees are purely on honor systems. Same for many businesses they are not asking employees or customers to show proof. I’m thinking perhaps the fancy lawyers on certain news outlets that spout off that requiring proof of vaccine is perfectly legal and does not violate HIPAA are wrong.  So we may not see proof of vaccine requirements for cruising. #JMHO 

Edited by kidless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kidless said:

I’ve noticed that companies are not requiring proof of vaccinations for employees to go maskless. Even DOJ and other government agencies that have lifted mask requirements for vaccinated employees are purely on honor systems. Same for many businesses they are not asking employees or customers to show proof. I’m thinking perhaps the fancy lawyers on certain news outlets that spout off that requiring proof of vaccine is perfectly legal and does not violate HIPAA are wrong.  So we may not see proof of vaccine requirements for cruising. #JMHO 

Interesting stuff, do you mind citing/linking where you're getting this information from? Would be interesting to see which agencies/businesses are taking the honor system route. The only private business I know of requiring proof of vaccination is Krispy Kreme for the free donut (yum!).

I agree that we may not see proof of vaccine requirements for cruising, but not for the reasons you're thinking of. If cruise lines want to start cruising again out of the US in July, they need to follow the 95%/98% passenger/crew vaccination requirements per the CDC's CSO. This will only reliably happen if cruise lines require some sort of proof. Additionally, if cruise lines want to minimize media backlash for having a handful of cases on board, vaccine proof will need to be implemented. Eventually, cruise lines will no longer require proof of vaccine once they complete test sailings, but that process will take longer than the 95%/98% vaccination route.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

Interesting stuff, do you mind citing/linking where you're getting this information from? Would be interesting to see which agencies/businesses are taking the honor system route. The only private business I know of requiring proof of vaccination is Krispy Kreme for the free donut (yum!).

I agree that we may not see proof of vaccine requirements for cruising, but not for the reasons you're thinking of. If cruise lines want to start cruising again out of the US in July, they need to follow the 95%/98% passenger/crew vaccination requirements per the CDC's CSO. This will only reliably happen if cruise lines require some sort of proof. Additionally, if cruise lines want to minimize media backlash for having a handful of cases on board, vaccine proof will need to be implemented. Eventually, cruise lines will no longer require proof of vaccine once they complete test sailings, but that process will take longer than the 95%/98% vaccination route.

Government agencies aren't allowed to ask your vaccine status.

Walmart, Target, Trader Joe's are among big names that dropped mask mandates on the honor system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I guess you are more qualified, so we all will start listening to you from now on.

If you wanted to edit your reply, that this is just your opinion, then your post is fine but to say that is true you have no grounds to stand on. Covid is brand new and the findings about it change rapidly.

If you cannot understand my post as being MY OPINION, that's your problem. 

Almost every word or statement on Cruise Critic is an OPINION, including yours.

AS far as Covid being NEW and the CDC, NOW looking for trials at sea and protocols when it pertains to travel on a ship I ask, have they been looking at the Singapore cruises ?? 

Sure they are from a specific area and passengers are for the most part from the same geographic area but they show some interesting views into what is actually happening SINCE JANUARY.

I cannot imagine how different these cruises would be with the now very high percentage of the population being fully vaccinated.

Are the Singapore (Test and Mask cruises)  shown to be Super Spreaders ? 

If the Singapore (Test and Mask cruises) are sailing successfully how much better would they be with just a pre-cruise test and full vaccination ?

If the skies at almost any time of day or night are filled with planes that are filled to capacity and more crowded than any cruise would ever be with 60% capacity, why aren't they super spreaders?

My OPINION is the C.D.C.  is wearing blinders when it comes to the Cruise Industry.

I finished my Bacteriology / Epidemiology courses and lab work in 1968 and I have been happily retired from the health industry for 20 years and from my own CLIA member cruise agency for 10 years and I NOW DO SO DECLARE THAT ALL MY STATEMENTS ARE OPINIONS AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE AND ARE MINE AND ONLY MINE.

All the above is my opinion.🙄

The screen shot below is the actual amount of planes in flight at 10:39 this morning, packed to the gills with passengers. 

1039.JPG

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, kidless said:

HIPAA does not come into play here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

If the skies at almost any time of day or night are filled with planes that are filled to capacity and more crowded than any cruise would ever be with 60% capacity, why aren't they super spreaders?1039.JPG

My opinion is that because plane trips are relatively short, and there is no contact tracing, there is no way for the CDC to determine how many cases were or were not transmitted while at the airport or in the air.  There is not enough time for it to incubate and show symptoms.  That occurs once they get to their destination, so of course air travel is "safe" because there is no way to prove its not.  A 7+ day cruise offers plenty of time for it to incubate and show signs of infection, so its a lot easier to show a cruise ship to be a super spreader event, especially when you keep all passengers in the petri dish.

1 minute ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

My opinion is that because plane trips are relatively short, and there is no contact tracing, there is no way for the CDC to determine how many cases were or were not transmitted while at the airport or in the air.  There is not enough time for it to incubate and show symptoms.  That occurs once they get to their destination, so of course air travel is "safe" because there is no way to prove its not.  A 7+ day cruise offers plenty of time for it to incubate and show signs of infection, so its a lot easier to show a cruise ship to be a super spreader event, especially when you keep all passengers in the petri dish.

I had to complete contact tracing documentation for my flight last week.  It's part of the check in process.

Hi- New here! 

On a whim we decided to book a cruise for December of this year on RC. We haven't cruised in almost 20 years and most certainly haven't cruised with three children!  We are not vaxed and although I am not an anti vaxxer I just don't see the immediate need for my family. We will get vaxxed if RC still requires it. My question is about my kids. My oldest will be 12 so he will be eligible for the vaccine (although I'm really not keen on my kids getting this vaccine). My other two kids will be 9 and 5 what happens with them? Are they not allowed to go if they aren't even eligible for the vaccine?

At this point there is no 100% information.

RCI blog says that per CDC vaccinated people will not be tested even if the have symptoms, while not vaccinated will be required PCR on embarkation and antigen on return. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/15/cdc-adds-new-rules-screening-cruise-ship-passengers-and-back-back-cruisers

"The CDC outlined what type of tests are required for fully and unvaccinated passengers.

Fully vaccinated passengers do not need to be tested on embarkation day, disembarkation day, or even going on a back to back sailing. While embarkation testing is not required, international travelers arriving in the U.S. are recommended to be tested 3-5 days after arrival, including those who are fully vaccinated. Cruise operators may follow this recommendation at their discretion.

Those that are not vaccinated, will need to take a Viral (NAAT or antigen) test for embarkation day, disembarkation day, and if doing a back to back."

This implies that not everyone must be vaccinated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

If you cannot understand my post as being MY OPINION, that's your problem. 

Almost every word or statement on Cruise Critic is an OPINION, including yours.

AS far as Covid being NEW and the CDC, NOW looking for trials at sea and protocols when it pertains to travel on a ship I ask, have they been looking at the Singapore cruises ?? 

Sure they are from a specific area and passengers are for the most part from the same geographic area but they show some interesting views into what is actually happening SINCE JANUARY.

I cannot imagine how different these cruises would be with the now very high percentage of the population being fully vaccinated.

Are the Singapore (Test and Mask cruises)  shown to be Super Spreaders ? 

If the Singapore (Test and Mask cruises) are sailing successfully how much better would they be with just a pre-cruise test and full vaccination ?

If the skies at almost any time of day or night are filled with planes that are filled to capacity and more crowded than any cruise would ever be with 60% capacity, why aren't they super spreaders?

My OPINION is the C.D.C.  is wearing blinders when it comes to the Cruise Industry.

I finished my Bacteriology / Epidemiology courses and lab work in 1968 and I have been happily retired from the health industry for 20 years and from my own CLIA member cruise agency for 10 years and I NOW DO SO DECLARE THAT ALL MY STATEMENTS ARE OPINIONS AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE AND ARE MINE AND ONLY MINE.

All the above is my opinion.🙄

The screen shot below is the actual amount of planes in flight at 10:39 this morning, packed to the gills with passengers. 

1039.JPG

You and that screen shots of flights...........just a reminder, a cruise ship is not a plane. Different protocols for each. 

If you haven't figured that out by now I can't help you.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jamagerayla said:

My other two kids will be 9 and 5 what happens with them? Are they not allowed to go if they aren't even eligible for the vaccine?

You will likely find out in about 3 months when more info should be available  

15 hours ago, kidless said:

The federal work place requirements are still undergoing revisions. This morning DOC put out an update, the pertinent part is below.  The updates are far from over and there are high level talks about having a verification system in place that is locked to only the need to know health employees in each Department for when full approval is granted and integrating it with the CAC system.

"Additionally, fully vaccinated individuals who wish to remove their face masks and not maintain physical distancing may be required to furnish documentation confirming their vaccination status to their supervisor(s) or others charged with ensuring safety compliance upon request."

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Other than flu shots, what vaccination to you get yearly?

We get vaccines for shingles, flu, and tetanus/etc.  Also whooping cough is mixed in with one of them.

Tom

Edited by tserface

57 minutes ago, tserface said:

We get vaccines for shingles, flu, and tetanus/etc.  Also whooping cough is mixed in with one of them.

Tom

Well other than the flu I don't believe any of these are yearly... Tetanus is like every 10 to 15 years and even though shingles is two doses it is only once as far as I can tell.  Whooping Cough could need a booster but not yearly.

17 hours ago, tserface said:

Tom

I think shingles vaccine is good for 5 years, tetanus is also good for several years as well as pnuemonia vaccine. 

Your only annual vaccine is probably the flu shot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mauraoel said:

I had to complete contact tracing documentation for my flight last week.  It's part of the check in process.

Must be airline specific or an international flight (?).  I have flown Delta 5+ times domestically since the shutdown, my 1st flight was in May last year shortly after flights re-started (I was one of 12 people on a Boeing 737) and my most recent one last week.  They have never asked for any specific contact tracing information, other than the simple 3 questions (are you sick, have you been around anyone who is sick, do you have a temperature)...

25 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Must be airline specific or an international flight (?).  I have flown Delta 5+ times domestically since the shutdown, my 1st flight was in May last year shortly after flights re-started (I was one of 12 people on a Boeing 737) and my most recent one last week.  They have never asked for any specific contact tracing information, other than the simple 3 questions (are you sick, have you been around anyone who is sick, do you have a temperature)...

If you have a frequent flyer account, it likely has all of the information and they can use that to fill in the records.

I actually cancelled my August cruise over this.  My family and I are fully vaccinated (except for one child under the age of 12), but we don't feel comfortable going until we know all the mitigation strategies work.

Of course we will comply with all requirements as necessary.  We are still planning on going on our November and Feb. cruises, both aboard Anthem.

Edited by broadwaybaby123