WOW have the prices increased!!

jkneern

50 minutes ago, osterbound said:

NCL is only booking out to 12 /2022 on the site. And im not sure what my work schedule will be next month let alone 2024

I booked the Prima in February 2023 on the NCL website.

• Like 1

I did a mock booking for the Breakaway for May of 2022. Holy f---!!! 7 days on a relatively old ship for 3 people in a regular balcony was over $5k with the "free at sea" promo and over $4.5k without!! That's MORE than my Prima cruise, which includes air! Prices are a smidge outrageous on NCL right now. Glad I booked Prima a few months ago!

Everything is out of control right now.  I could not even afford the house that I live in now that I bought 8 years ago.  Car prices are selling over MSRP.  Some real estate prices in my area went up 40% in 2 years.  A house on my street just sold for $56,000 over asking price. People would say I have a good job that pays well yet I could never afford these prices and cruising is one of them.  Sometimes I do mock bookings and I looked at an inside cabin on the Sky and it was well over $1200 (shorter cruise).   Several years ago you could score an inside cabin on the Sky for less than $400.  Where is everyone getting this money?  

Edited by david_sobe

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Everything is out of control right now.  I could not even afford the house that I live in now that I bought 8 years ago.  Car prices are selling over MSRP.  Some real estate prices in my area went up 40% in 2 years.  A house on my street just sold for $56,000 over asking price. People would say I have a good job that pays well yet I could never afford these prices and cruising is one of them.  Sometimes I do mock bookings and I looked at an inside cabin on the Sky and it was well over $1200 (shorter cruise).   Several years ago you could score an inside cabin on the Sky for less than $400.  Where is everyone getting this money?  

Exactly, our house has gone up in value by $150K in the past 18 months.   I hope we don't need to buy a car anytime soon.

Cruise prices are up, especially on Celebrity and NCL.

I don't know I still think some of these cruise prices are wishful thinking.  Just because they want a kazillion billion dollars for an inside cabin doesn't mean anyone has actually bought one (OK, maybe a few dedicated CC members). I have friends that have cruised on other lines and said they were probably 20% of capacity.  Every time I call NCL, the agents (different every time) say the days are slow and long because no one is calling in and they are hoping reservations will increase as COVID gets better.  Maybe people are spending on cruises like they are on real estate, but I'm not convinced.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Exactly, our house has gone up in value by $150K in the past 18 months.   I hope we don't need to buy a car anytime soon.

Cruise prices are up, especially on Celebrity and NCL.

Saint Simons Island is beautiful.  I briefly lived in S/GA when I was at FLETC.  I love that light house.  Every morning when I would walk to the dining hall I was in awe of the light flashing through the sky.  Although I could do without the paper/sulfur smell from that factory and the bugs.  I live in Florida and the swamp bugs are way worse in S/GA.  But your area is premier living for sure.

• Like 1

I think it depends as well.  A haven room on a cruise just after Thanksgiving on the Escape is right around $1000 a night for me and my wife.  That is what I have budgeted the past 2-3 years for a room like that.  The same dates doing an almost identical cruise on the Prima is almost 2x that, so I think that price is nuts, but they will get it (new ship).  The Encore again on the same dates is about $1100 a night, so slightly above my budgeted amount.

Now, will the prices hold?  I am hoping they come down a little once the initial excitement of return to cruising wears thin, but if not, I have always wanted to try the YC on MSC, and their prices on a brand new ship around that same time frame are looking quite attractive.  I will always come back to NCL, but it's OK to play the field with cruise lines, we aren't married to them.

20 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

7 days on a relatively old ship for 3 people in a regular balcony was over $5k with the "free at sea" promo 

What kind of price do you expect?

$5k for 3 seems like an good price to me even if it's just a regular balcony!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That's a bad price..... I sail all lines and I recently booked the new MSC Seashore out of Miami for August 2022. 14 days  .  Family of four In a balcony, drink packages for the adults and kids and WiFi.  Price was $5300. That's for two weeks,  not one and on a brand new beautiful ship.  If you shop around you'll see that $5K for that NCL cruise is a terrible price. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I am used to paying no more than $3.5k for a balcony with all perks included, plus air.  $5k was MAJOR sticker-shock for me, and the price that prompted me to give Royal a shot.  Royal is definitely more than what NCL used to be, but they are cheaper than what they are now.  I've got a trip booked on the Harmony, a ship that is contemporaneous with Escape, so not the NEWEST ship, but certainly one of their more modern, an Oasis class ship.  It is costing me less than $3k for an ocean-view room, but no bells and whistles.  That said, no one in my party drinks THAT much, and I'm ok with MDR and Buffets for the most part.  I might do one up-charge dinner for my Mom's birthday.  It will be an experiment to see just how much my family really does drink in a week, and who knows, maybe in future I'll drop the drink pkg as a perk from NCL too.

I did a mock booking for Dec, 2023 on the Prima ,BA balcony with the perks and it came out to a little over $3400.00 for 7 days Western , so a little over $5000.00 with a 3rd party sounds about right, but this is for a new ship.

On 7/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, tallnthensome said:

That's a bad price..... I sail all lines and I recently booked the new MSC Seashore out of Miami for August 2022. 14 days  .  Family of four In a balcony, drink packages for the adults and kids and WiFi.  Price was $5300. That's for two weeks,  not one and on a brand new beautiful ship.  If you shop around you'll see that $5K for that NCL cruise is a terrible price. 

If you can't prove it, it's not true.

58 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

If you can't prove it, it's not true.

lol! You actually want a screen shot of my invoice? Why is it that hard to believe? Have you ever sailed MSC before or even priced out a cruise with them? 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, oteixeira said:

I think it depends as well.  A haven room on a cruise just after Thanksgiving on the Escape is right around $1000 a night for me and my wife.  That is what I have budgeted the past 2-3 years for a room like that.  The same dates doing an almost identical cruise on the Prima is almost 2x that, so I think that price is nuts, but they will get it (new ship).  The Encore again on the same dates is about $1100 a night, so slightly above my budgeted amount.

Now, will the prices hold?  I am hoping they come down a little once the initial excitement of return to cruising wears thin, but if not, I have always wanted to try the YC on MSC, and their prices on a brand new ship around that same time frame are looking quite attractive.  I will always come back to NCL, but it's OK to play the field with cruise lines, we aren't married to them.

The upgrade advantage ranges are off the scale, lowest bid from Haven Spa to 2 bedroom is $700 each. If you add what we originally paid and got awarded the difference is only $468 of buying the cabin normally? 

12 minutes ago, Trimone said:

The upgrade advantage ranges are off the scale, lowest bid from Haven Spa to 2 bedroom is $700 each. If you add what we originally paid and got awarded the difference is only $468 of buying the cabin normally? 

I was wondering on that.  I won't see the ranges until October is my guess (as my cruise is in December).  If they are bad I will just happily stay put.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have cruise friends that did MSC and were seriously disappointed.

That too is possible. We sailed the Seaside with MSC the first time out of Miami and it was spectacular. I may have a different experience if we were to sail an older ship in Europe somewhere where the ships caters to Europeans as well as the food options. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

That too is possible. We sailed the Seaside with MSC the first time out of Miami and it was spectacular. I may have a different experience if we were to sail an older ship in Europe somewhere where the ships caters to Europeans as well as the food options. 

Same here, did Seaside out of Miami October 2018. Loved it, and we're hooked. 😊 I can't imagine why people would be disappointed with MSC without going into things I probably shouldn't say. 😉😂

• Like 3

We just booked MCsC Fantasia in April to continue in Europe another week after our Epic Epic transatlantic.   I'm a little nervous about liking it because it is an older ship and probably 95% Europeans.  But we did get a great price for an aft balcony.

30 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

We just booked MCsC Fantasia in April to continue in Europe another week after our Epic Epic transatlantic.   I'm a little nervous about liking it because it is an older ship and probably 95% Europeans.  But we did get a great price for an aft balcony.

We're not that frightening.  Honestly!