Just received from Carnival

joeyancho

6 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

We are on the Horizon Sept 12th was hoping all would have been settled out by then

I don't think anyone sailing on the three July ships has anything to worry about for September, but covid happens.  We're on the Pride, with a mystery first sailing date.  I lump most of the mystery ships together and if one is possibly not sailing in August, I worry about the others.

• Like 1

We also received this letter for our late August cruise out of NOLA.

Since we made other vacation plans, my husband and I won’t be disappointed if they choose not to cruise on our sail date. But, will be holding on to the cruise — in the hopes Carnival cancels and we can keep our $600 OBC for a future cruise.  

🛳🛳

Bobbi

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I received the same email an hour ago.  I am scheduled to be on the Mardi Gras on August 21st.  It looks like they are preparing to cancel the cruise, but hope that people will cancel so they won't have to offer the $600 OBC for rebooking when they cancel.

It looks like they will do test cruises.

It looks to me like they may be trying to negotiate an exemption for kids under 12 from the 95% rule.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am ready either way.  Vaccinated, unvaccinated, whatever. I really don't care what they decide as long as my August cruise sails.  I am losing hope that it will sail after reading today's email, but there's always a chance.

Same here I'm ready to go either way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of "requiring" Covid vaccines.  I will cruise either way, so it doesn't bother me in the least if everyone else is not vaccinated or not.

Well said that is exactly how I feel. Let the cruises being.

I am fully vaccinated, and would NOT want to be on a ship that is not vaccanated for the simple reason of an if there is an outbreak, the cruise ends.  If there is even a single case then I would be willing to bet you will not port anywhere and it becomes a cruiise to no where.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Moviela said:

Am I reading the wrong clipping service? I thought MG was going to cast off the bow line on October 2nd? Would that not mean anything prior will be nixed?

The Oct 2 date posted by exactly one website is incorrect (according to all other sources).  First cruise expected that first week of August (2nd?  4th?).

Unless of course more mass cancellations.  But as best we know that is the "current plan".

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shakatime said:

Notice how this doesn’t effect certain ships in august hmmmm

That's because those four ships will already be sailing in July.

Mardi Gras is no different than any other ship in the fleet.  The Oct 2 date that has been tossed around came from one website and was clearly an error/typo, IMHO.

34 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's because those four ships will already be sailing in July.

Mardi Gras is no different than any other ship in the fleet.  The Oct 2 date that has been tossed around came from one website and was clearly an error/typo, IMHO.

As well as the first week of August also came from one source Florida Today which is just the local version of the USA Today and they have pretty much given up on local journalism.

2 minutes ago, stellarose said:

still perplexed as to why ships won't go the vaccine route instead the hoops of the test cruises. who knows. 

Yes, I was wondering that as well.  After reading that Christine Duffy thinks its unfair to require vaccinations to board a cruise ship and not airlines, I wonder if she thinks it is fair to require test cruises and not test flights for the airlines.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stellarose said:

still perplexed as to why ships won't go the vaccine route instead the hoops of the test cruises. who knows. 

Because children under 16/12 cannot receive vaccines. Simple answer.

Now if the CDC would allow exceptions for the children, then all would be good. That is the simple answer. It's all on the CDC to solve this issue. 

49 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

Well, is this a hint that the four ships sailing in July will be fully vaccinated?

My thought as well. I read it as the 4 ships that start  in July will be going the vaccination route and test cruises for any ships that sail afterwards. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

Well, is this a hint that the four ships sailing in July will be fully vaccinated?

Certainly may be the case.  It would probably be hard to complete test cruises by then.  I saw somewhere else where the early ships out of Galveston will require vaccines.  They may be planning an all of the above approach where some start with the vaccinated route and others the test cruise route.

3 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

I am fully vaccinated, and would NOT want to be on a ship that is not vaccanated for the simple reason of an if there is an outbreak, the cruise ends.  If there is even a single case then I would be willing to bet you will not port anywhere and it becomes a cruiise to no where.

Once ships set sail with passengers, we will see how protocol, policy and optics shape response.

I cannot locate what shall be the CDC threshold of voyage termination for revenue cruises in general.  However, the issue is noted in the guidelines for simulated and restricted cruises.

CDC advises cruise ship operators that it may require them to immediately end a simulated voyage and take other actions to protect the health and safety of volunteer passengers and crew if a threshold of COVID-19 cases is met or exceeded during the simulation. During simulated voyages, this threshold is met when 1.5% of COVID-19 cases is detected in passengers or 1.0% of COVID-19 cases is detected in crew. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

Edited by logan25

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

I am now thinking they may be doing a combination approach.  The ships sailing in July will probably not have time to do test cruises.  Those may be fully vaccinated, while doing a test cruise start for some others.  Just speculation on my part, but it would make sense if they did choose this route based on what they have been saying all along.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Yeah, I don't get it.   Seems backward.  The crew will be vaccinated, why not the passengers?   Seems to be the quickest route back to sailing.  

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

Because they would alienate lots of business and further drive down price. If you have all of the crew vaccinated and half of the passengers (including those really at risk) that's about 60-75% of all of the people on board with a vaccination. I won't even mention the people with natural immunity. It's honestly time to get over the fear of "breakout cases". It's already accepted that children won't be vaccinated. Why aren't you concerned over their breakout cases? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

I agree with you, although I wouldn’t go that far. There will be positive cases for sure and the cruise lines will need to do contract tracing and isolation of the positive passengers as well as those they came into contact with and drop them off at the nearest port for quarantine. I think the main worry/concern among vaccinated passengers is how the contact tracing will be handled by the cruise lines in instances where a positive passenger has come into contact with a vaxxed passenger. Will the cruise line isolate, quarantine and remove the vaxxed passengers from the ship who came into contact with the positive passengers? That would suck for us wouldn’t it?

Edited by bdever

59 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I am now thinking they may be doing a combination approach.  The ships sailing in July will probably not have time to do test cruises.  Those may be fully vaccinated, while doing a test cruise start for some others.  Just speculation on my part, but it would make sense if they did choose this route based on what they have been saying all along.

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what Royal announced yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, bdever said:

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what Royal announced yesterday. 

I just watched the video from them. Sounds very encouraging, especially with the protocols, which may be more limited than first thought.  Hopefully, Carnival won't be far behind them in their planning.  Though it is not Carnival, I'm putting a link if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25087-royal-caribbean-ceo-fain-cdc-permission-coming-shortly.html?fbclid=IwAR0n79zz1dYR_Bg5AhLyYSx0haTqKZ8wDc2ct9R14sNZPOrXGEmh70izmvQ

• Like 2