The Daily for Tuesday Jun 01, 2021

richwmn

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Cruising-alongand @Quartzsite Cruiserour favorite South Pacific destination expert is spelled Kainoa.  I never forget because a grandson is name Kai.  

Kainoa was quite a guy.  Such funny tales he told.

Thanks for the correct spelling of Kainoa's name.  I had a feeling I wasn't getting it correct, but at least you got the idea..  

We've had him on two cruises to Hawaii, and he is very interesting.

Lenda

• Like 10

I thought I'd show you what it looks like when we get 1 1/2 inches of rain in 30 minutes, as we did yesterday. It was still pouring when I took these pictures.  Our community is on a limestone bluff so the soil is not very thick, and a lot of the water just runs off.  

Six of the zinnias I planted several weeks ago have survived and are growing.  You might be able to see one of them just barely above the water.

DSC09246.thumb.JPG.17a5883bca5f448b39607ab240e5cb4e.JPG

DSC09245.thumb.JPG.6b01a8f5852f4ff630a0772d4661063f.JPG

This picture is a form of yucca (I think) that is blooming in our backyard.  I can't take credit for it, as it was there before we built the house.  It is not fully bloomed, but I figured I better get the picture while it is not raining.

DSC09247.thumb.JPG.c87bf00338b2b41da1593680cf220b5c.JPG

Today on the way to an appointment, we drove across the dam, and our lake is flooded with many of the picnic tables under water.  After floods in 2015 and 2016, the Corps of Engineers completely redid that part of the park.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

It is confirmed that I am now living an episode of Wild Kingdom. My neighbor called to warn me that there is a bear in the neighborhood- confirmed by a picture taken by someone’s security camera.

Deer, armadillo, water birds, foxes, gopher tortoises, raccoons, wild boar, bobcats and even an alligator. Now a bear. 

Sigh. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

It is confirmed that I am now living an episode of Wild Kingdom. My neighbor called to warn me that there is a bear in the neighborhood- confirmed by a picture taken by someone’s security camera.

Deer, armadillo, water birds, foxes, gopher tortoises, raccoons, wild boar, bobcats and even an alligator. Now a bear. 

Sigh. 

Any sightings of lions and tigers?  Oh my.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I live at the bottom of a hill that has protected land, a ravine, and a nature center at the top. We see deer, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, woodchucks and (rarely) a bear, but no wild boars or bobcats, and definitely no alligators. However, I work for a nonprofit organization and I know all about wild boards.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

On our last trip to Homolulu we visited both Iolani Palace and Doris Duke’s Shangri-La home - both guided tours which we booked independently.

on this post will be inside pics of Iolani Palace, the woodwork was beautiful!  Please note the throne room!  I will get the pics of Shangri-La (Doris Duke. estate) on another post.

Carol

4D692139-6C0A-473C-8B3F-1B5F7A0BC32E.jpeg

97B7AD1C-340D-4567-93FE-DE2D88F1F860.jpeg

AB86D36C-B6C8-4F25-9CA9-ECCBB81ABF37.jpeg

45A795B8-FD95-4644-89F8-9E6852657CD1.jpeg

E3BC5837-E838-488E-B154-489B6AAA0377.jpeg

1FA3C4DB-589E-4557-9851-34FFA2CDFCE6.jpeg

• Like 22

1 minute ago, kochleffel said:

I live at the bottom of a hill that has protected land, a ravine, and a nature center at the top. We see deer, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, woodchucks and (rarely) a bear, but no wild boars or bobcats, and definitely no alligators. However, I work for a nonprofit organization and I know all about wild boards.

Gosh, I forgot about opossums! We have those too!

Please do not send your wild boards my way. 🙃

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon/evening!  😊

@cat shepard  No way!  A bear???!!!

I have a quick share about Honolulu.  One time, DH and I walked from the Noordam at port all the way to the Hilton Hawaiian Village at Waikiki.   We had an overnight in Honolulu, and after many days at sea, we wanted exercise.  It was a long walk, but interesting!  At the hotel, we rented chaise lounges, had a great beach day, then took a taxi back to the ship.  Very nice day!

But I love Waikiki Beach.  Not everyone does.  Just coincidentally,  both a sister and my MIL have homes on the North Shore, so we've spent a lot of time there, but Waikiki is wonderful fun -- my first Hawaiian true love.

🌴  🌺  🍹

• Like 17

Doris Duke estate on Honolulu - the reason why you must meet at the art museum -  control the number of people at one time, as Shangri-La is in a residential area..... Only a few  tour times during the day, I believe 10 people at a time, transported in a van.

No inside pics are allowed, however when we were outside - one of the guards motioned for me to take pics from outside (technically not inside pics?? go figure 🙄.  BTW, I did not ask, but was given this opportunity out of the blue.

Doris Duke acquired most of the Islamic art while on her honeymoon- When they reached Hawaii, she fell in love with this property and decided to have a home built here to showcase her purchases.   The most impressive parts of the home were not near open doorways, so alas - no photos.

Carol

6AC28628-2926-4D94-8DA6-64E943220BA6.jpeg

9570B22E-F207-4924-9343-FF3D3F758819.jpeg

FDA1BFDA-73AA-4728-BFCD-8E3E33FE509F.jpeg

12B53D40-3D61-4852-973D-39B1B400EEB3.jpeg

89FCD28F-D4DB-42C8-B53B-E2FB54F3421D.jpeg

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 22

33 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

9570B22E-F207-4924-9343-FF3D3F758819.jpeg

Carol

Have you ever heard of Canvas on Demand? You submit a photo and this site turns it into a canvas.

If I had taken this shot, I would be turning it into a canvas. Just spectacular!

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sigh. 

Oh my!  We don’t have armadillo or wild boar but apparently the big black bears are back.  There are warnings out already.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh my!  We don’t have armadillo or wild boar but apparently the big black bears are back.  There are warnings out already.

Well we don't have all the animals roaming our community that @cat shepardwas mentioning but apparently we have a peacock hanging out here.  I saw six photos of one visiting various neighbor's homes in our community newsletter.  I would faint if I saw him strolling down my street.  Better than an alligator though!!🦚

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well we don't have all the animals roaming our community that @cat shepardwas mentioning but apparently we have a peacock hanging out here.  I saw six photos of one visiting various neighbor's homes in our community newsletter.  I would faint if I saw him strolling down my street.  Better than an alligator though!!🦚

Sandi
I will trade you a bear, alligator and opossum for one peacock! How magnificent. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi
I will trade you a bear, alligator and opossum for one peacock! How magnificent. 

I don't blame you!  I'd be afraid to leave the house for a walk if we had a bear or alligator hiding out in the bushes.  I'm sure there are foxes, raccoons, and opossums though which aren't too bad.

• Like 6

We get deer, bobcats, moose, raccoons, porcupines, skunks, occasional bears and cougars.  No alligators though!   And coyotes!  This one was not happy with us! 

6040BC5F-F983-4593-A765-F995508F6870.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Are all boards of non-profits wild?   Mine sure is.  I took this one on as a two year gig back in 2012.  One of the doctors in the group promised me he would take it over when he retired in 2 years.   I'm still waiting for him.  He's afraid to retire because he knows what is coming.  

The bears must be really restless this year.   My sister has caught a bear crossing their property a couple of times so far this year.  They've never had one that they got on camera before.  Another sister had to take down all her bird feeders because they were attracting bears.  She went berry picking on the property one time and discovered she was in competition with a black bear.  

My neighbor in back reported last night that he saw a coyote romping in my back yard recently.   I knew the deer came through although they have been leaving the hostas alone.   

Edited by dfish
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Sigh. 

I'll swap you the bear (he can join the local ursine gang here) if you will take my Mountain Lion. I am much more afraid of him that the bears. Guess it is what you get use to.

Susan

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We get deer, bobcats, moose, raccoons, porcupines, skunks, occasional bears and cougars.  No alligators though!   And coyotes!  This one was not happy with us! 

6040BC5F-F983-4593-A765-F995508F6870.jpeg

Happy to say no skunk here. And NO, I do not want one. 

Your coyote appears to be singing!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I'll swap you the bear (he can join the local ursine gang here) if you will take my Mountain Lion. I am much more afraid of him that the bears. Guess it is what you get use to.

Susan

Susan your lion is all yours. I am not interested in any trade. Thank you for offering. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Happy June 1.  Where does time go!!!  Hot here today..not sure we hit a record high but it is 91 in both Portland and Vancouver, WA.

We enjoy listening and visiting with Kainoa on our South Pacific cruise.  We a fun and knowledgeable guy.

Thanks for all the pictures of Honolulu. We haven't spent as much time there as on the other islands.  

Tomorrow after dropping the grands off at school, I head to the coast.  DH is there now and is meeting friends tomorrow to get our first load  firewood for the winter .  I will be home to help unload.  We are about a month early starting this but when DH says time to get wood, I put my work clothes, grab my gloves and ear protectors and off I go!!  We went thru a lot of wood this past winter...first winter we had been home for a long time....LOL!  Not this winter I hope.  

Many thanks as always to Rich, Roy, and Jacqui for keeping all the lists.   Thanks to all who post such positive comments and great pictures.  Many prayers to all and cheers to those celebrating.

Stay well and safe.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A few years ago, we were gifted with pheasants that flew over our fence and landed on my back garden by the trees.  They stayed for weeks until their babies were ready to go.  We were absolutely enthralled.  They never returned though unlike our Mexican birds and robins, etc.

They were gorgeous and we just admired.  For some reason which I will never know the dogs never barked at them.  The pheasants had cleverly installed themselves beyond the invisible fencing line so they were safe.  (Dogs are not permitted in gardens or to eat mulch 😉 )

• Like 10