Florida Talking Vaccine Passport For Cruises Now?

Rollin Tide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/05/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/?sh=2ae4c52d5ed5

We'll see what happens, but I kinda expected this to come up.  Rather I do or do not agree with the governor, I do think there has to be some sort of negotiations.

Edited by Rollin Tide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rollin Tide said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/05/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/?sh=2ae4c52d5ed5

We'll see what happens, but I kinda expected this to come up.  Rather I do or do not agree with the governor, I do think there has to be some sort of negotiations.

This is an old story (April I believe) revived with a new headline, etc. This was when DeSantis only had his EO in place. Now it’s law and legislature must amend if they choose.

No amendment necessary. Do some research and read the complete EO and law.

The EO and Law already had  a loophole in place to allow the requirement of vaccines, proof of vaccines or other public health measures.

For the cruises that will be sailing with the requirement of vaccination and proof of vaccination, check the itineraries. 

The itineraries will have ports of call with requirements of vaccination proof or cumbersome testing requirements (think Bahamas and St. Maarten as two examples). Those ports of call will be at the end of the itinerary where meeting the non-vaccinated requirement time frames will not be possible  due to the length of the cruises and that such documentation can not be done to be available at the port of embarkation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The EO and Law already had  a loophole in place to allow the requirement of vaccines, proof of vaccines or other public health measures.

Could you expand on the loophole as when i read the law the only exemption i could see was for medical facilities? 

1 hour ago, CI66774 said:

This is an old story (April I believe) revived with a new headline, etc. This was when DeSantis only had his EO in place. Now it’s law and legislature must amend if they choose.

Oh, my bad.  Was a link my agent just shared last night.  My apologies folks.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/432893-desantis-administration-denies-preparing-cruise-exemption-for-vaccine-passport-ban/

"A spokesperson for Gov. Ron DeSantis says Forbes misinterpreted comments from a cruise executive when it reported the administration is working with the industry to create a mutually beneficial loophole to the state’s vaccine passport ban."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/432893-desantis-administration-denies-preparing-cruise-exemption-for-vaccine-passport-ban/

"A spokesperson for Gov. Ron DeSantis says Forbes misinterpreted comments from a cruise executive when it reported the administration is working with the industry to create a mutually beneficial loophole to the state’s vaccine passport ban."

Thanks for posting that. I guess Governor DeSantis is not looking for a loophole to get out of his signature law on vaccine requirements.

This will remain interesting as the CDC requirements loosen for the cruise lines, but Florida law attempts to block the possible return of cruising from Florida. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Could you expand on the loophole as when i read the law the only exemption i could see was for medical facilities? 

Read it again. Every word.

Hint: The Covid section of the law has the same wording as in two sections of the EO. Also read the complete law, not just the add on Covid section.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks for posting that. I guess Governor DeSantis is not looking for a loophole to get out of his signature law on vaccine requirements.

This will remain interesting as the CDC requirements loosen for the cruise lines, but Florida law attempts to block the possible return of cruising from Florida. 

It appears that RCL, CCL, and Disney are all doing test cruises.   Things are actually moving forward for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It appears that RCL, CCL, and Disney are all doing test cruises.   Things are actually moving forward for everyone.

What’s Ncl up to? Genuine question.. haven’t heard them mentioned much. 

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Those with kids happy. I got plenty unvaccinated on my roll call.

Unless you dont trust the vaccine, this is a good thing, though I'm not sure carnival can hire enough crew to sail in a month. 

I heard ncl cancelled its other Caribbean departure  ... because they could only find enough vaccinated crew to do alaska. I've seen hiring issues mentioned for all cruiselines several times. .. next hurdle.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Silly-Politics aside, vaccine passport/certification is inevitable
- at least until this entire nightmare is OVERRR -in a year or three.

I see the EU has started issuing digital covid passports and it looks like Americans will be eligible to get one.

• Like 3

Recall "We are all in this together" messages?

It appears we are all not .

Come on folks , get those shots and lets get past this sooner than latter.

Not fair to the cruise industry and vaccinated  guests , to risk an outbreak of the virus onboard 

that would  setback the return of cruising .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

My husband and I are both vaccinated, but prefer that people have freedom to decide their own health decisions and are treated equally.

In the future, when the overall death toll for Covid 19 is known, those who chose to remain unvaccinated may be hailed as heroes for their dedication to the idea of agathusia to help bring down the impact of the earth's overpopulation. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

In the future, when the overall death toll for Covid 19 is known, those who chose to remain unvaccinated may be hailed as heroes for their dedication to the idea of agathusia to help bring down the impact of the earth's overpopulation. 🤔

Or appreciated for their willingness to contribute to herd immunity because they realized, based on their extremely low risk factors, that it made more sense to be exposed to the virus than locked down while wearing a mask.  This virus killed mainly older people with high risk diseases.  Look at the stats.  The rest of the population was never at high risk of dying.  Actually getting covid for low risk people benefits everyone.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do realize that there will be more restrictions because of the CDC's unreasonable (opinion) need to treat cruise ships like airplanes (opinion), as if people are sitting within inches of each other for hours on end.  DeSantis is right, in my opinion.  The defense of our rights is more important to me than inconveniences imposed by an agency that is unfair (opinion) to one particular industry.  

My husband and I are both vaccinated, but prefer that people have freedom to decide their own health decisions and are treated equally.

Of course people can choose to remain unvaxed, they have that freedom. What they don't have is the right to force exposure of their unvaxed selves to others.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do realize that there will be more restrictions because of the CDC's unreasonable need to treat cruise ships like airplanes, as if people are sitting within inches of each other for hours on end.  DeSantis is right, in my opinion.  The defense of our rights is more important to me than inconveniences imposed by an agency that is unfair to one particular industry.  

Indeed, you have a right to choose.You do not have a right to expect to be treated equally if you are not vaccinated. Why should anyone accommodate someone else who chooses to continue to be a public health risk in the middle of a pandemic? I think you’ll find that neither the ADA nor civil rights laws will support that decision.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am glad someone is fighting for our rights instead of keeping the unvaccinated from doing anything.

I think you have a faulty understanding of rights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Malthus would be proud of you.

And the great conspiracy theorist, Dan Brown wrote a book Contagion about a virus being spread among humanity to save us all from the ultimate demise of the human race due to overpopulation.(I unfortunately read this book around the time Covid first came into everyone's awareness.) BTW, if you have seen the movie they made from this book, they changed the ending.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

This virus killed mainly older people (PREMATURELY) with high risk diseases.  Look at the stats. 

The stats indicate the average life expectancy of all Americans dropped.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Malthus would be proud of you.

And the great conspiracy theorist, Dan Brown wrote a book Contagion about a virus being spread among humanity to save us all from the ultimate demise of the human race due to overpopulation.(I unfortunately read this book around the time Covid first came into everyone's awareness.) BTW, if you have seen the movie they made from this book, they changed the ending.

Came across Malthus while in college.

The interesting thing about Brown's book is the idea that while the virus infected people, it didn't cause an illness but did cause infertility in a a third of the population. Sounds very similar to the infertility showing up in males that contracted Covid 19 and is now being reported in various medical journals. At this point, it is unknown if the problem ,caused by inflammation of the male reproductive tract, will be reversible. It might be permanent like the infertility caused by the mumps virus in males.

Robin Cook also wrote a book, published in 2018, called "Pandemic" about a SARS virus and the unraveling of its identity, source and method of spreading.

Edited by Homosassa

4 hours ago, Babr said:

Indeed, you have a right to choose.You do not have a right to expect to be treated equally if you are not vaccinated. Why should anyone accommodate someone else who chooses to continue to be a public health risk in the middle of a pandemic? I think you’ll find that neither the ADA nor civil rights laws will support that decision.

Well, I can walk into any grocery store or restaurant and am treated just the same as an unvaccinated person.  People who have had covid have immunities too.  I guess that doesn't matter, even though it's real.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

"Funny thing happened on the way to the hospital the other day...  I was minding my own business, walking down the IDCV unit (infectious disease/COVID variant)  hallway, and they asked me to put a mask on... So I fined every doctor and nurse in the hospital $5,000 each."...

But did the doctor have a loyalty program?

• Haha 1