Just looking at the sea.....

chemmo

I don’t know about the rest of you but the thing we have missed most about cruising is just looking at the sea, feeling that wonderful breeze, tasing the salt on our lips, listening to the waves...

We are presently very grateful to be on a hillside in Wales (in our tourer) looking out towards Llandudno in one direction and Anglesey and Puffin Island in the other. No complaints we feel very blessed. However, although we can see and smell the sea we are not at sea...just can’t wait...Do you feel the same?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

You are right on! Nothing like looking out at that sharp, blue edge of the horizon at sea, watching the ship cut through the sea. I spend a good deal of time on our balcony just watching it all. Sea birds, flying fish, Saragossa seaweed. Then at night, the clear black sky full of stars you can only get at sea. 

I spent more than a few years at sea in the Navy, but a cruise ship is a Great way of experiencing it all, plus a few other minor differences!

den

• Like 5

We're lucky to live within a mile of the sea, so it's a big part of our lives but cruising is the best way to experience the ocean. That said, we wont be doing it until it can be done without travel restrictions and testing which I think is 1/2 years away.

33 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes!  It's the main thing we cruise for. Thank you for setting out your thoughts.

Just looking forward to late at night (first night) sitting out on the balcony, glass of cognac in hand savouring it all...It will never have tasted, smelled, looked, tasted or felt so sweet....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You are right on! Nothing like looking out at that sharp, blue edge of the horizon at sea, watching the ship cut through the sea. I spend a good deal of time on our balcony just watching it all. Sea birds, flying fish, Saragossa seaweed. Then at night, the clear black sky full of stars you can only get at sea. 

I spent more than a few years at sea in the Navy, but a cruise ship is a Great way of experiencing it all, plus a few other minor differences!

den

You are adding so much more to my list of ‘missing’....

I so clearly remember the first time we saw flying fish! Not something you see very often where we live!

Then the stars...We have a couple of really magical memories of them. Once in the South Pacific when we were truly stunned by their brightness and numbers and once in the Caribbean when we had booked an M class PH and literally spent most of the night on our balcony just looking up...

Once again can’t wait to be back on board and we will never take such wonderful experiences as freely granted again...Sometimes it takes something like the last year or so to make us realise how blessed we are...

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

We're lucky to live within a mile of the sea, so it's a big part of our lives but cruising is the best way to experience the ocean. That said, we wont be doing it until it can be done without travel restrictions and testing which I think is 1/2 years away.

So understand your feelings.. We have a Southampton cruise booked for September but know it is unlikely to sail and even if it does we will need to feel comfortable about boarding first...

...Doesn’t stop us pining for the sea though...

Our first cruise was in 1997.  I still remember seeking the color of the Caribbean for the first time.  It was breathtaking and awe inspiring in the same moment.  The balcony will get far more use than previously when we finally sail.  Thanks for a post sure to bring camaraderie.

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

I don’t know about the rest of you but the thing we have missed most about cruising is just looking at the sea, feeling that wonderful breeze, tasing the salt on our lips, listening to the waves...

We are presently very grateful to be on a hillside in Wales (in our tourer) looking out towards Llandudno in one direction and Anglesey and Puffin Island in the other. No complaints we feel very blessed. However, although we can see and smell the sea we are not at sea...just can’t wait...Do you feel the same?

I totally agree with you about missing the sea!

But I would also be happy to join you in Wales. We loved the time we spent there years ago. Enjoy!

8 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Agree. At this time I could care less as to the ports. I miss the onboard experience. 

Yes! I would happily get on board and let the Captain just do donuts in the middle of the Atlantic!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Agree. At this time I could care less as to the ports. I miss the onboard experience. 

Yes, Murano’s followed by a couple of drinks at the sunset bar...pure heaven..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marieps said:

Our first cruise was in 1997.  I still remember seeking the color of the Caribbean for the first time.  It was breathtaking and awe inspiring in the same moment.  The balcony will get far more use than previously when we finally sail.  Thanks for a post sure to bring camaraderie.

Totally agree about balcony usage...We usually really enjoy anyway but next cruise it may be hard to get us off it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I totally agree with you about missing the sea!

But I would also be happy to join you in Wales. We loved the time we spent there years ago. Enjoy!

We are blessed that this very historic coast, castles and countryside is so commutable from where we live...Iron age sites, Roman forts and Norman castles are near to wonderful walking trails, steam trains and wildlife sanctuaries....

Still, beautiful as it all is it is not being on the sea....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes! I would happily get on board and let the Captain just do donuts in the middle of the Atlantic!

No...not warm enough...Head towards the Caribbean or Mediterranean then do the Donuts!

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

No...not warm enough...Head towards the Caribbean or Mediterranean then do the Donuts!

I wouldn’t care, that's what blankets are for. 😉 😁

Edited by C-Dragons

7 minutes ago, Lolou127 said:

chemmo, enjoy your time here in Wales, I’m on the Llyn Peninsula so not too far from where you are at the moment, have you been tempted by any of the U.K. cruises this summer?

We have a cruise booked in a September from Southampton to the Canary Islands...Swapped from last year...We are in one way desperate to cruise, we are so missing cruising, but we have to feel comfortable with safety/itinerary/cost...We will closely watch the first reviews that come through and then decide what to do...Fairly sure our cruise, as booked, will not run but could consider its replacement...

All vacations should be about rest and relaxation...If a cruise this year could be too stressful we will (regretfully) move it on to next year..

Sincere best wishes for your next cruise....If ours doesn’t happen at least we have two more caravan breaks booked overlooking the sea!

• Like 3

I agree ! I miss just being at sea. A month ago I booked for January 2022 and December 2022. Then I got so overwhelmed by cruise fever that I booked Edge for this September.  My husband never gets off the ship in ports  and I might stay on with him this time and just enjoy the Edge.  No balcony for my 3 sailings, just blissfully dark inside staterooms, where the ocean  (usually) gently rocks you to sleep. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We have a cruise booked in a September from Southampton to the Canary Islands...Swapped from last year...We are in one way desperate to cruise, we are so missing cruising, but we have to feel comfortable with safety/itinerary/cost...We will closely watch the first reviews that come through and then decide what to do...Fairly sure our cruise, as booked, will not run but could consider its replacement...

All vacations should be about rest and relaxation...If a cruise this year could be too stressful we will (regretfully) move it on to next year..

Sincere best wishes for your next cruise....If ours doesn’t happen at least we have two more caravan breaks booked overlooking the sea!

We did a TA out of Southampton last year and spent a week in Cornwall prior. Stayed at a lovely little hotel ‘the Smugglers’ near Penzance and then a neat hotel/pub, The Hampshire Hog north of Southampton near the Butser Ancient Farm where they had replicas of Iron Age buildings and much more. Loved it!

den

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We are booked on the Silhouette cruise in September that goes to various European capital cities, I’m not sure it’ll happen and currently us U.K. citizens are barred from at least 1 of the country’s on the itinerary, we shall wait and see what happens nearer to payment day x

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, I agree!  My next cruise is in an M class PH and involves 7 glorious sea days.  I will put that wonderful balcony to good use.  Can't wait.

Certainly the M class PH is best balcony at sea! We love the design and light in the S class PH but for pure indulgence and that real feeling of being at sea the M class wins...That wake view!!!

Hope you have a wonderful next cruise...Think of us as you sip your champagne on the deck stargazing...