What Does HAL know that we Aussies don't

3 hours ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I don't think that there will any announcement until Scott Morrison returns from the G8 conference which starts on 11trh June. I wonder where he will quarantine?

The Lodge in NatCap. Although he might get an exemption like the soccer players and those to and from the big sporting carnival in Tokyo, that should be cancelled.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Has anyone seen it in print from any cruise line that vaccinations will be mandatory.

Cheers Carole

Most of the cruise lines are requiring vaccination

Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination? How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

A

For Cruises Departing from Seattle or The Bahamas

For sailings departing before August 1, all Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing. For sailings departing on or after August 1, the age requirement for vaccination will change from 16 to 12 years of age. 

Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. If a guest younger than the age requirement happens to be fully vaccinated, they should bring their original vaccination record card to board, will not require a test, and should follow all vaccinated guest protocols throughout their vacation.

All guests must present proof of vaccination as well as all required travel documents upon arrival at the ship. Acceptable proof of vaccination must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by the country’s health authority or healthcare provider that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). The vaccination record submitted must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series) and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before arriving in The Bahamas or at their cruise departure terminal in Seattle.

For Cruises Departing From Other International Ports

Royal Caribbean guests age 18 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing. Each guest must submit proof of vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either (1) the country's health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form (e.g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Royal Caribbean must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. All guests must present proof of vaccination as well as all required travel documents upon arrival at international ship terminals as well.

Crew Vaccination Requirement

We require Royal Caribbean crew members on all ships and at Perfect Day at CocoCay to be fully vaccinated.

From NCL website

Mandatory Vaccinations Against Covid-19 on Initial Voyages

All guests and crew must be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, in order to board. Guest vaccination requirements are currently for all sailings embarking through October 31, 2021- we will follow the science to make determinations on requirements for all other future sailings.

Pre-Embarkation Health & Safety Preventative Measures

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Has anyone seen it in print from any cruise line that vaccinations will be mandatory.

Cheers Carole

Friends of ours from America and England are joining a Seabourn cruise in July. Everyone onboard must be vaccinated with their final jab at least two weeks prior to boarding as per their documentation. 

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Friends of ours from America and England are joining a Seabourn cruise in July. Everyone onboard must be vaccinated with their final jab at least two weeks prior to boarding as per their documentation. 

Would be lovely to think this might happen. 

However, the most recent information I can find is that Australian borders are closed to UK and American citizens….unless someone knows something that I don’t.

Or maybe you are writing about July 2022/23 ??

Australia and NZ have the borders closed to every country, not just UK and USA.  The PM has said that borders may not reopen until mid next year.

If you come to Australia you will have to quarantine for 14 days, at your expense, at a quarantine hotel.

If you have had your vaccinations you will still have to quarantine

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Where is the cruise departing from?

Sorry I wasn't clear. Their cruise is departing from Greece. 

On a side note, I am one of those crazy/desperate people living in hope. We have a deposit down for a Silversea cruise in December sailing Sydney to Auckland. They are negotiating with the two governments and putting forward their various protocols. This includes only Australian and New Zealand passengers. Passengers to be fully vaccinated. Reduced capacity of passengers. They have upgraded their ventilation systems and medical facilities so they have two in case they need to isolate anyone.

They also included flights so I don't have to worry about getting my own and then needing to do anything if the cruise is cancelled.If these cruises can't sail I will be fully refunded. So I decided to take the gamble.

Our Premier here in Perth yesterday announced that we are opening up vaccinations to the over 30's here with more access to doses of both Pfizer and AZ. I found it interesting that the age group with the smallest percentage of vaccine uptake was the 50-60yo and around 25%. The biggest uptake was over 70s, with the over 60s around 40%.

The younger cohort of 30-50 have already booked heavily into the system. Maybe because they see it as a way to get on with their lives. 

21 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. Their cruise is departing from Greece. 

On a side note, I am one of those crazy/desperate people living in hope. We have a deposit down for a Silversea cruise in December sailing Sydney to Auckland. They are negotiating with the two governments and putting forward their various protocols. This includes only Australian and New Zealand passengers. Passengers to be fully vaccinated. Reduced capacity of passengers. They have upgraded their ventilation systems and medical facilities so they have two in case they need to isolate anyone.

They also included flights so I don't have to worry about getting my own and then needing to do anything if the cruise is cancelled.If these cruises can't sail I will be fully refunded. So I decided to take the gamble.

Our Premier here in Perth yesterday announced that we are opening up vaccinations to the over 30's here with more access to doses of both Pfizer and AZ. I found it interesting that the age group with the smallest percentage of vaccine uptake was the 50-60yo and around 25%. The biggest uptake was over 70s, with the over 60s around 40%.

The younger cohort of 30-50 have already booked heavily into the system. Maybe because they see it as a way to get on with their lives. 

Looks like Athens is going to be a very busy port as the NCL Jade is also departing weekly until Nov from Athens.  We are booked on a cruise out of Athens in November and it is going ahead but unfortunately we cannot cruise as we can't leave Australia.   

I just hope everyone goes and get their vaccination to protect themselves and others and then we might be able to get back to some normality.  UK and USA have open borders but their vaccination rate is much higher than australia.  

An article in RNZ today indicates that the push from the cruise industry is not making progress on this side of the Tasman.  

This quote seems optimistic to Australia, however.

Australia's federal government has backed the resumption of cruise ships and a decision to allow foreign-flagged ships back is expected in the next few weeks.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/444375/parched-cruise-industry-eager-for-any-signs-of-ban-lift

16 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

An article in RNZ today indicates that the push from the cruise industry is not making progress on this side of the Tasman.  

This quote seems optimistic to Australia, however.

Australia's federal government has backed the resumption of cruise ships and a decision to allow foreign-flagged ships back is expected in the next few weeks.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/444375/parched-cruise-industry-eager-for-any-signs-of-ban-lift

Thanks for posting. I would be surprised if the quote about 'the Aus Fed Govt backing the resumption of cruise ships' is correct. There has been no indication from our government that they are even considering the resumption of cruising here.

Leigh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks for posting. I would be surprised if the quote about 'the Aus Fed Govt backing the resumption of cruise ships' is correct. There has been no indication from our government that they are even considering the resumption of cruising here.

Leigh

I think it's the cruise industry reps here pushing at the same time as the ones in Aus are.  Tell the Press that the Aussies are letting the cruise ships in to see if that puts pressure on our govt.  I think our govt postponing the meeting was their way of saying that this is not a priority for them at present.

I do think the fact that your govt haven't extended their ban yet might mean something.  Small ships, Aussies only, and expensive.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

1 minute ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think it's the cruise industry reps here pushing at the same time as the ones in Aus are.  Tell the Press that the Aussies are letting the cruise ships in to see if that puts pressure on our govt.  I think our govt postponing the meeting was their way of saying that this is not a priority for them at present.

Yes, you most likely correct.

Leigh

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Maybe because they have access to the Pfizer vaccine and view it as safer. (By the way, I'm soon to have my second AstraZeneca - I'm not criticising that vaccine).

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Maybe because they have access to the Pfizer vaccine and view it as safer. (By the way, I'm soon to have my second AstraZeneca - I'm not criticising that vaccine).

I am not sure about that as Pfizer has its own issues. My sons who are almost 30 would have AZ but aren't allowed. The rest of my family from 60-92 have all had AZ with no issue. Various interviews and articles I have seen by medical staff are pretty confident they can quickly treat the rare blood clot issues now.

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

I am not sure about that as Pfizer has its own issues. My sons who are almost 30 would have AZ but aren't allowed. The rest of my family from 60-92 have all had AZ with no issue. Various interviews and articles I have seen by medical staff are pretty confident they can quickly treat the rare blood clot issues now.

As I said, I wasn't criticising the AstraZeneca vaccine - not at all. I was talking about the public perception which seems to be that Pfizer has less issues than AZ. Most people have not seen any publicity about the issues with Pfizer, I guess because the press aren't publicising them.

Your sons can't have AZ because they're not in the age group that's allowed to be vaccinated, I guess? It's not prohibited to give an AZ shot to an under 50 as long as they are in an age group that's allowed to receive any vaccine (in Victoria at least).

Yes, medicos are certainly on the ball and competent at recognising and treating the unusual blood clotting issues now, as you say. Agreed.

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Your sons can't have AZ because they're not in the age group that's allowed to be vaccinated, I guess? It's not prohibited to give an AZ shot to an under 50 as long as they are in an age group that's allowed to receive any vaccine (in Victoria at least).

Also not allowed here in Perth for under 50's unless in the 1B group a couple of months ago and only with full consent.

When we got ours at a respiratory clinic about 5 weeks ago and there were a few under 50 in the 1B group.They had to speak with a medical officer and give full consent after having all possible problems explained. As one young woman told me she was more concerned getting Covid with her Type 1 Diabetes than she was getting AZ.

• Like 1

Sigh.  Y'all are making me depressed. 🙁

I'm booked on semi B2B for February next year.  Carnival Spirit from Brisbane, then 3 days in between, then Carnival Splendor from Sydney.

I really, really, really want to be on these cruises but I just know they won't happen.  I've wanted to visit Oz/NZ for years and thought I finally was going to get to do that.  I'm fully vaccinated but no way can I afford 2 weeks in a hotel to quarantine!

Wish Carnival would just go ahead and cancel so I could opt for the FCC and OBC.  And book something else.

I've had about 10 cruises cancelled since April 2020 on Carnival, HAL, and MSC.  I've opted for the FCC for all of them.  I anticipated early on that pent-up demand plus less ship inventory would result in a huge spike in prices, so I was rebooking immediately upon receiving my FCCs.  The only ones I haven't rebooked are MSC.  Comparable cruises less than a year later are running much higher.  I may have to cave and request a refund on those.

12 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I have not seen any reporting, from Australian sources, that supports this hypothesis.☹️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I have not seen any reporting, from Australian sources, that supports this hypothesis.☹️

Its interesting that - but RNZ is our equivalent of the ABC and that reporter is a well-known business journalist - I give her some credence  - she has sources I suspect. 

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Its interesting that - but RNZ is our equivalent of the ABC and that reporter is a well-known business journalist - I give her some credence  - she has sources I suspect. 

We will just have to wait and see. I won't be holding my breath.😔

1 hour ago, lissie said:

It was today announced by the Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt that the ban on cruise ships by the Australian government has been extended for another three months to September 17th.  It appears the journalist's sources were incorrect.

Cruise Ship Ban to be Continued until September 17th

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It was today announced by the Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt that the ban on cruise ships by the Australian government has been extended for another three months to September 17th.  It appears the journalist's sources were incorrect.

Leigh

Not necessarily, Leigh. The cruise seasons normally don't start until October which is outside the new ban limit. There could still be a slight possibility of it happening. I imagine the powers that be will be taking a close look at what is happening in Europe, the UK, plus the US if they ever get things restarted.

I refuse to give up hope until they cancel my cruises. 😋

• Like 1