What Does HAL know that we Aussies don't

14 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

My concern is I have a few thousand dollars worth of FCC I will lose if I don’t make final payment but I’m sure your right in what your saying.

Cheers Carole

If the cruise line cancels the Cruise then you will not lose your FCC,  and if they can't cruise then they will have to cancel. I have had 5 cruises cancelled and moneys that I paid in November 2019, $12,000, for March april 2020 cruises have rolled onto the re booked and rebooked cruises, my  payment just transfers to the next booking.  I had my October cruise from Barcelona to Athens cancelled by NCL and I had the deposit refunded back to my credit card.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I still have a cruise booked for November, Athens to Dubai, but I know I will have to cancel before final payment because our borders will not be open for us to fly out.  Our friends from the US, our cruising friends,  are able to do the cruise because they can fly out of the US to Athens.  We have 3 cruises booked for March, from Bangkok, b2b2b2, through to Tokyo but I am thinking that these have only a 50/50 chance of going ahead.

Hard to tell with Asian cruises but you might still have the travel ban problem even if those b2b2bs go ahead.

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hard to tell with Asian cruises but you might still have the travel ban problem even if those b2b2bs go ahead.

I think our borders will probably be still closed but Thailand Vietnam and even Japan have their borders closed too.  So  NCL will have to cancel the cruises if the asian countries borders are closed.

NCL have cancelled all Sun cruises until late January at this stage. 

Interesting to see on tonights News that our prime minister has been having discussions, whilst in Singapore, with the Singapore Prime Minister in creating a possible travel bubble in the future.  I think it is probably more directed to getting the Singaporean students back for the australian universities.

1 hour ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I think our borders will probably be still closed but Thailand Vietnam and even Japan have their borders closed too.  So  NCL will have to cancel the cruises if the asian countries borders are closed.

NCL have cancelled all Sun cruises until late January at this stage. 

Interesting to see on tonights News that our prime minister has been having discussions, whilst in Singapore, with the Singapore Prime Minister in creating a possible travel bubble in the future.  I think it is probably more directed to getting the Singaporean students back for the australian universities.

I think the problem with new travel bubbles is that if Aus creates a travel bubble with Singapore, then NZ also would have a travel bubble with Singapore because NZers visiting Aus would be mixing with Singaporeans visiting Aus.  So, it's actually a three way negotiation.  Unless Aus decides to open a bubble with Singapore and close the bubble with NZ.   Although it is true that NZ has a bubble with the Cooks and Australians are still not allowed to travel there.

Edited by onlyslightlymad
Ponderings

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think the problem with new travel bubbles is that if Aus creates a travel bubble with Singapore, then NZ also would have a travel bubble with Singapore because NZers visiting Aus would be mixing with Singaporeans visiting Aus.  So, it's actually a three way negotiation.  Unless Aus decides to open a bubble with Singapore and close the bubble with NZ.   Although it is true that NZ has a bubble with the Cooks and Australians are still not allowed to travel there.

No I can see it working - I think even now the bubble to NZ only works if you've been in Australia for 14 days prior - so you couldn't fly in from Singapore (assuming you had that bubble up) and then straight onto NZ. It also sounds like it would be a few months away. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I’m hoping Aust arranges a bubble with the Cook Islands. There are a lot of Cook Islanders  on the Coast.  

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, GOTTODOIT said:

If the cruise line cancels the Cruise then you will not lose your FCC,  and if they can't cruise then they will have to cancel. I have had 5 cruises cancelled and moneys that I paid in November 2019, $12,000, for March april 2020 cruises have rolled onto the re booked and rebooked cruises, my  payment just transfers to the next booking.  I had my October cruise from Barcelona to Athens cancelled by NCL and I had the deposit refunded back to my credit card.  

Will lose it if I cancel though , so I either cough up more money at final payment day or lose my credits,don’t know how I would stand though if they cancelled it after I had paid final payment 

Cheers Carole 

25 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Will lose it if I cancel though , so I either cough up more money at final payment day or lose my credits,don’t know how I would stand though if they cancelled it after I had paid final payment 

Cheers Carole 

Have you asked to get final payment moved to a later date.

38 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

No I didn’t know I could do that, my booking is with a TA

Cheers Carole 

I emailed my agent on Friday to cancel a couple of RC cruises and told me not cancel them and moved the final payment back by 6 weeks.

They said all finals have been moved back.

I think they have still go hopes.

Edited by Chiliburn

37 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

No I didn’t know I could do that, my booking is with a TA

Cheers Carole 

As Suncoastsailors suggested, ask your TA about the final payment date. Some cruise lines have moved payment dates closer to the cruise date. In addition, usually TAs ask for payment much earlier than the cruise line does so they would probably have some room to move.

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

As Suncoastsailors suggested, ask your TA about the final payment date. Some cruise lines have moved payment dates closer to the cruise date. In addition, usually TAs ask for payment much earlier than the cruise line does so they would probably have some room to move.

Hello,  

You can cancel without penalty up to final payment date due.

If you cancel then the FCC will go back to your account as a credit. FCC.  You can then use to book another cruise.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

So the Cook Islanders can still get into Australia via NZ? 

On 6/12/2021 at 7:35 AM, MMDown Under said:

I’m hoping Aust arranges a bubble with the Cook Islands. There are a lot of Cook Islanders  on the Coast.  

I believe over the years the islanders have got into Australia via 'ye olde back door'. get in to NZ, become NZ Citizens or NZ Permanent residents, then get into Straya, am I right or wrong? 

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Hello,  

You can cancel without penalty up to final payment date due.

If you cancel then the FCC will go back to your account as a credit. FCC.  You can then use to book another cruise.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I emailed my agent on Friday to cancel a couple of RC cruises and told me not cancel them and moved the final payment back by 6 weeks.

They said all finals have been moved back.

I think they have still go hopes.

Good to know thank you all.

Cheers Carole

2 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Good to know thank you all.

Cheers Carole

I have $12,000 tied up in future cruise credits from cancelled cruises in Feb/March 2020,   The credit has been applied against our B2b2b2 in March April next year on NCL Sun from Bangkok to Tokyo and if our borders are still closed and we can't go then I will cancel the cruises and move the credit onto future cruises. 

I deal directly with NCL Sydney office. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, pully8 said:

$12000 FCC is a lot of money.

Admire your loyalty to the cruise line and hope you eventually can sail.

If we had of known how long this pandemic was going to last for then we would have pushed for a refund.  We were given the choice of a Refund for the first cruise from Singapore to Dubai but the 2nd cruise from Dubai to Rome we not given any choice but to take FCC. When our 1st cruise was cancelled, we were already in Singapore about to board in 2 days.  Our cruise cancelled so we flew to Spain to pass the time until our next cruise started in Dubai, unaware that it would also cancel.

We did a week cruise on Costa out of Barcelona on the new Esmeralda going to Rome, Marseille etc.  We arrived back in Barcelona and heard the news of how Italy and Spain were getting large numbers of affected virus victims and so we then decided to return immediately to australia.  We arrived back before quarantine was mandatory and we did a 2 week at home quarantine. 

We have rebooked this cruise 3 times, Nov 2020, march 2021, and November this year 2021 but still have not been able to go.  We have rebooked for Nov 2022, hopeful that the borders will open and we can cruise in Nove 2022.  The cruise is going ahead this November but we cannot go as the borders are closed.  

That was a topic I raised,  we will be vaccinated, why cannot we have the option to leave australia with the option of quarantining on return.  Our USA friends who we always travel with can go and do the cruise but have decided to wait for us poor aussies.

• Like 1

Sorry you had those experiences and hope better days are ahead asap.

Risks will always be there in travel, war, deadly infections, terrorism and natural disasters.

People once fully vaccinated ought to be permitted to travel and live their lives fully. Time is short.  

That was a topic I raised,  we will be vaccinated, why cannot we have the option to leave australia with the option of quarantining on return.  Our USA friends who we always travel with can go and do the cruise but have decided to wait for us poor aussies.

Even if the government did allow vaccinated Aussies to travel overseas that's not the main area of concern. It's the return trips. At the moment only 6352 people are allowed to arrive (and quarantine) in Australia each week. Until the number of cases worldwide reduces significantly I can't see that limit changing. So if you choose to travel overseas for pleasure how long are you prepared to wait until you return? As I understand it there are still thousands of Aussies trying to get home that were caught overseas when the pandemic started. Would you expect to be given priority over those people so you could return from your holiday, or will you be prepared to stay for months overseas until your turn to return came up? BTW this isn't meant as a dig at you, I'm just pointing out the complexity of the issue.

The other concern is what happens if the virus mutates again into something that overcomes the vaccine? I've been watching the UK figures and it's quite scary how the number of cases there has increased over the past couple of weeks as the Delta variant works its way through the country. Luckily the vaccine works against that variant so the death rate hasn't risen in proportion to the number of cases. I think safe travel is still a long way off. Yes, Americans can still travel but what issues will they face when they do. 

It is very frustrating not being able to cruise. We've lost two probably unrepeatable itinerary cruises along with a couple more local cruises. But I'd be happy to just get some domestic cruising over summer. Luckily we enjoy just being onboard as much as we enjoy visiting new places.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Even if the government did allow vaccinated Aussies to travel overseas that's not the main area of concern. It's the return trips. At the moment only 6352 people are allowed to arrive (and quarantine) in Australia each week. Until the number of cases worldwide reduces significantly I can't see that limit changing. So if you choose to travel overseas for pleasure how long are you prepared to wait until you return? As I understand it there are still thousands of Aussies trying to get home that were caught overseas when the pandemic started. Would you expect to be given priority over those people so you could return from your holiday, or will you be prepared to stay for months overseas until your turn to return came up? BTW this isn't meant as a dig at you, I'm just pointing out the complexity of the issue.

The other concern is what happens if the virus mutates again into something that overcomes the vaccine? I've been watching the UK figures and it's quite scary how the number of cases there has increased over the past couple of weeks as the Delta variant works its way through the country. Luckily the vaccine works against that variant so the death rate hasn't risen in proportion to the number of cases. I think safe travel is still a long way off. Yes, Americans can still travel but what issues will they face when they do. 

It is very frustrating not being able to cruise. We've lost two probably unrepeatable itinerary cruises along with a couple more local cruises. But I'd be happy to just get some domestic cruising over summer. Luckily we enjoy just being onboard as much as we enjoy visiting new places.

It appears that if you are a celebrity then you can come and go as you please.  The cricketers have gone back overseas, Hugh Jackman has come back to australia and is currently in quarantine.

As for how long would I be prepared to stay overseas - well until the borders are opened to come home,  I can well accommodate and amuse myself for 12 months with overseas relatives and friends and of course, cruises.  Is it safe, who knows, are we just going to sit back and do nothing, waiting, waiting, 

Now that I said that I might even seriously consider it.

As Theresa May, former UK PM, said in her speech yesterday in the Houses of Parliament,  "Theresa May has attacked the Government's stance on travel, saying the UK is "falling behind the rest of Europe"." all the pushing to get everyone vaccinated., and no clear plan in moving forward and opening up the country.  This applies to Australia also.   Covid is not going to go away, we have to be vaccinated and then learn to live with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GOTTODOIT said:

all the pushing to get everyone vaccinated., and no clear plan in moving forward and opening up the country.  This applies to Australia also.   Covid is not going to go away, we have to be vaccinated and then learn to live with it.

Well said.

• Like 1

It appears that if you are a celebrity then you can come and go as you please.  The cricketers have gone back overseas, Hugh Jackman has come back to australia and is currently in quarantine.

As for how long would I be prepared to stay overseas - well until the borders are opened to come home,  I can well accommodate and amuse myself for 12 months with overseas relatives and friends and of course, cruises.  Is it safe, who knows, are we just going to sit back and do nothing, waiting, waiting, 

Now that I said that I might even seriously consider it.

As Theresa May, former UK PM, said in her speech yesterday in the Houses of Parliament,  "Theresa May has attacked the Government's stance on travel, saying the UK is "falling behind the rest of Europe"." all the pushing to get everyone vaccinated., and no clear plan in moving forward and opening up the country.  This applies to Australia also.   Covid is not going to go away, we have to be vaccinated and then learn to live with it.

Yes, unfortunately there is one rule for the rich/powerful/celebrities and one for the rest of us.

You are very fortunate to have the contacts overseas so you could stay away for a long time. Not everyone has that luxury sadly. 

I agree we are going to have to learn to live with Covid, and that our vaccination rollout is slower than desired for many reasons but it is starting to gain momentum. There needs to be more incentives for people to get vaccinated, especially with the AZ blood clot problem scaring people off having it and we don't have sufficient supplies of Pfizer for everyone.

However until the majority are vaccinated I'm happy to see a certain amount of restrictions on overseas travel. I'd like to see more bubbles opening up, I'd like to see cruising recommence albeit in a cautious manner to start with. Let's face it, there are already companies operating cruises in Australia. Coral Expeditions have been operating since late last year. Murray River cruises are operating - we went on a five night one in February before vaccinations were available. But the government is playing ostrich again, ignoring yet another issue because it's something they don't personally enjoy.