Which TV Channels in Stateroom?

The channels don't mean a whole lot to us - except for the occasional news update while we're getting ready in the morning. But we do like to unwind occasionally with a movie.  I will download a couple of selections from Netflix to my phone and I can "screen mirror" it from my phone to the TV.  A nice little feature to have (if the rooms has a Samsung TV, which most do now, it seems).

• Like 1

In the past we have brought  our Firestick, HDMI cable and universal remote and have been able to watch Amazon Prime & Netflix on our in cabin TV. Of course to do this we have purchased the Vroom/Surf-n-Stream package. Hoping this works still. 

We're long time cruisers no longer interested in the onboard night life and enjoy watching movies in our cabin...JOHO...probably not your's...our vacation ... our choice.

• Like 1

We'll sometimes watch the Ship's channel, I forgot what they call it. But anyway, we'll watch that and reruns of the ship's activities as we prepare for whatever or wherever we're headed to next. We once were on the Love & Marraige show and I didn't think it was really a large crowd that night or at least the seats didn't look completely full. Anyway, we had no idea they showed replays for a few days afterwards. The balance of the week where ever we went someone would say, "Hey I saw you on TV last night!". It just seemed like more people saw us on the TV as opposed to the live show that evening. Strange. But so fun. So I guess TV time happens but we don't use it much. We definitely try to avoid the news. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, DudeFromVA said:

Hi, is there a channel list one can look at?  I'll be on the Ovation 9/3 to 9/10.  I know there is far more to do than watch TV, I'm just wondering what I'll be fallin' asleep to. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic....Yes, they'll be a guide on your TV of the channel offerings.

17 hours ago, DudeFromVA said:

Hi, is there a channel list one can look at?  I'll be on the Ovation 9/3 to 9/10.  I know there is far more to do than watch TV, I'm just wondering what I'll be fallin' asleep to. 🙂

Every ship is different, it varies greatly on where the ship is located in the world, the position of the satellites, whether the ship has the most modern equipment to receive those signals, weather conditions, etc.

There are some channels which are 'piped' to your stateroom TV from inside the ship. Most larger ships have a TV studio onboard.

You'll find documentaries about the building of Royal's ships, kids movies on repeat, other movies, replays of the 'Love & Marriage' competition from the night before or whatever the night before was, or even live footage of the belly flop contest!

As you can tell, it varies greatly.

The channel I love is the moving map, it shows the location of the ship, wind speeds, compass heading, arrival time, sunrise/sunset times, and very often a live view looking forward from the bridge.

We keep that channel on in the background while getting ready etc, great background music too.. The most eclectic mix of genres you've ever experienced! 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Board_Shorts said:

The channel I love is the moving map, it shows the location of the ship, wind speeds, compass heading, arrival time, sunrise/sunset times, and very often a live view looking forward from the bridge.

That sounds pretty neat! 🙂 Wish I could just watch that at home. 😄  As a former Navy brat, that would take me back to my childhood of watching the ships come in and out of Norfolk....and that time I got to be on one when we had a Family Cruise.

Anyway, I'll definitely check that one out.  First cruise, first flight, and first time to Seattle and Alaska, so many firsts. 😄  I'll be doing much more than watchin' TV. 🙂  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, DudeFromVA said:

That sounds pretty neat! 🙂 Wish I could just watch that at home. 😄  As a former Navy brat, that would take me back to my childhood of watching the ships come in and out of Norfolk....and that time I got to be on one when we had a Family Cruise.

Anyway, I'll definitely check that one out.  First cruise, first flight, and first time to Seattle and Alaska, so many firsts. 😄  I'll be doing much more than watchin' TV. 🙂Thanks!

Wow! Go you! Enjoy all those firsts 😊

I'm a flight attendant and it's so awesome when we see first time fliers boarding looking apprehensive, or maybe a little scared, or sometimes absolutely terrified! But to see their total opposite when we're saying goodbye and seeing them SO happy that they did it and really enjoyed the experience. Even the terrified ones! 😂

I found you a YouTube video of a Carnival TV Map. I think this is VERY old but it gives you an idea of what to expect. Don't worry, the Royal version is waaaaaay better! 😁

1 hour ago, Board_Shorts said:

That's my favorite too...

Check your cable service.  Many give you an option to watch what you subscribe to while you are away from home over internet service.  I have been able to watch college games over the ship internet on my iPad with no problem.

Traditional network TV (either OTA or cable) = 0

Mostly snippets from selected network shows (big bang theory in Italian is hilarious)

We bring an HDMI-to-iPad Lightning port connecter, an HDMI cable, and a universal remote and watch streaming channel apps loaded on the iPad.

Not much of a TV watcher when cruising.  But, I do notice they always seem to have a soccer (Futbol) on.  During NFL season, they do have some of the games broadcast.  

I like the moving map, too.  I don't think they subscribe to any regular cable channels, but I'm not looking for them, either.  I am on vacation.  

On 6/25/2021 at 1:12 PM, Board_Shorts said:

Wow! Go you! Enjoy all those firsts 😊

I'm a flight attendant and it's so awesome when we see first time fliers boarding looking apprehensive, or maybe a little scared, or sometimes absolutely terrified! But to see their total opposite when we're saying goodbye and seeing them SO happy that they did it and really enjoyed the experience. Even the terrified ones! 😂

Oh, I'll be one of those terrified ones...probably for take off.  I don't think being up there will bother me.  It's that initial take off and maybe the landing.  But once I'm up there, I think I'll be good. :D

On 6/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, graphicguy said:

Not much of a TV watcher when cruising......I am on vacation.  

Which is very true and I plan on doing FAR more than just watching TV. :)  I just like something to wind down to at the end of the day.  Sometimes I drift off to "Wipeout" on TBS (love that show), sometimes I actually get my glasses off and the TV before I conk out.  But, I plan on being off that ship and seeing Alaska (and later Seattle) as much as possible. :D

• Like 2

The only news channels I recall are Sky News (international) and the BBC.  There was a financial channel (Maybe MSNBC?).  Sports channels (I think ESPN was one of them).  The obvious map channel and the channel that replays ship shows.  Movies?  Again, can’t remember watching any but the ones I do remember were pretty old!