Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

Just popping into this discussion.  I would anticipate/expect that any one ship cruising right now to have at least a few positive tests.  Even if it is a fully vaccinated ship.  Just not a surprise at all.  This will happen for years to come.  The cruise lines have planned for this expected outcome.  And have procedures in place to deal with it.  And port agreements. This very infectious virus is still out there worldwide.   But judging by this thread, some of the passengers of upcoming cruises seem to be surprised by this - that on the very first cruise out of St. Maarten it happened.  Get used to it.  As long as we continue to only focus on positive tests (antigen, PCR, rapid, whatever)  as a key criteria -    we will see them.  But what do they mean?   Vaccines are there for keeping us out of the hospital and worse.  That is what we should use as a criteria going forward.  Not positive tests and slightly ill or asymptomatic people.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I am following this discussion.  International travel still poses a risk.  I would love to plan my next cruise but I am too cautious to proceed at this time.  The Delta variant (out of India) is a cause for concern.  At one of our major hospitals, there are currently 10 fully vaccinated patients (some in ICU.)  Front line workers who are fully vaxed are now infected because of this out break.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7940281/foothills-covid-19-delta-cases-fully-vaccinated/

Our province is still encouraging mask wearing, social distancing and lots of hand washing.  Although I am fully vaxed, I know that I will be somewhat reserved in planning future travel.  I really just want to see my parents (who are in another province) and celebrate my Dad's 90th Bday.  This pandemic has made me appreciate and be grateful for family and friends.  Take care everyone

Pam

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just popping into this discussion.  I would anticipate/expect that any one ship cruising right now to have at least a few positive tests.  Even if it is a fully vaccinated ship.  Just not a surprise at all.  This will happen for years to come.  The cruise lines have planned for this expected outcome.  And have procedures in place to deal with it.  And port agreements. This very infectious virus is still out there worldwide.   But judging by this thread, some of the passengers of upcoming cruises seem to be surprised by this - that on the very first cruise out of St. Maarten it happened.  Get used to it.  As long as we continue to only focus on positive tests (antigen, PCR, rapid, whatever)  as a key criteria -    we will see them.  But what do they mean?   Vaccines are there for keeping us out of the hospital and worse.  That is what we should use as a criteria going forward.  Not positive tests and slightly ill or asymptomatic people.

Post of the day. I stated yesterday that Richard Fain commented several months ago that cases would be found on cruise ships. It’s all in how the ship handles the situation. Not sure why people are surprised. Anyone that goes out in public each day probably doesn’t realize that there are people around them who could have the virus. 

• Like 5

Testing shows if a person is positive or negative at the moment of testing.  Unless that person is confined, that person can get infected.  There are many people who have said they have done all the right things…..Vaccinated, wear masks, wash hands, distance, stay home when possible,….and still get infected.   While getting vaccinated and being tested helps, it is not fully an indicator that a person is unaffected.  We want the virus to go away. We want everyone to be healthy.  Rushing to resume cruising and opening up travel may not be prudent now. 

14 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

So I wonder how they got infected if they're truly vaccinated....

While you can still get Covid if you are vaccinated, I think it is more likely they faked their vaccination. Are they required to prove they have been vaccinated? How do you prove that? The little card I have would be very easy to fake with my home copier and card stock.

30 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Everyone is forgetting the vaccine helps everyone, however in immune compromised individuals, the immune response is much weaker and won’t provide as much protection.   This includes cancer patients, those with transplants, and those on immune suppressing drugs for Arthritis, Psoriasis and a number of other conditions.    If the two passengers were indeed vaccinated, they may have had one of those conditions.

Thank you 🙏🏻 for mentioning. I’m immune compromised and fully vaccinated. I think the likelihood of both passengers being immune compromised and testing positive is a long shot though. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

How is the Edge going to depart from FLL "with the same protocols in place"? Is Celebrity going to require proof of vaccination even with the Florida law that forbids that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

How is the Edge going to depart from FLL "with the same protocols in place"? Is Celebrity going to require proof of vaccination even with the Florida law that forbids that?

The Edge is not going out fully vaccinated. It will be at least 95% vaccinated guests. Each guest is being or will be asked if they have been vaccinated. If they answer yes, they will then be asked if they will present proof at check-in. If they answer yes to both questions they then move into the vaccinated group. Those who answer no to those questions will move to the unvaccinated group. Once the sailing reaches their 5% limit, that’s it. Some unvaccinated guests may not be able to board the ship.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

While you can still get Covid if you are vaccinated, I think it is more likely they faked their vaccination. Are they required to prove they have been vaccinated? How do you prove that? The little card I have would be very easy to fake with my home copier and card stock.

With all due respect, that is your opinion and of course you have the right to express it.  But there is absolutely no evidence to support it right now anyway.  So why accuse two people who you do not even know with a very serious fraud?  Even if you are speculating about it?   If you are vaccinated and sail, you might test positive.  That is a scientific fact.  Not necessarily fraud. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

No, that's a "breakthrough" case. breakout means a large number of people have come down with the disease.

As to the UK, yes you are correct but I believe the study previously referenced was conducted before a majority had received the second shot.

You are absolutely correct. I used the wrong word. I meant breakthrough. Sorry, I'm bilingual and even though English is my  first language, the constant switching throws me off.

1 hour ago, Scottbro said:

I'm amused at the "how can this happen?" comments. 

These are not traditional vaccines. They are not vaccines at all. These drugs protect you and only you from symptoms. They don't prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. They don't protect anyone around you. Your chances of getting the virus are no different if you are vaccinated or not. The only thing that changes is your immune system reaction to it. 

oh-really-tell-me-more.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

With all due respect, that is your opinion and of course you have the right to express it.  But there is absolutely no evidence to support it right now anyway.  So why accuse two people who you do not even know with a very serious fraud?  Even if you are speculating about it?   If you are vaccinated and sail, you might test positive.  That is a scientific fact.  Not necessarily fraud. 

I agree. I wish posters would just wait to see what the real situation is. These two cruisers will probably face hell from others and in the end it may not even be their fault. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Quoting one of the greats here:  “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, danv3 said:

The likelihood of an asymptomatic vaccinated person spreading covid to another vaccinated person is so low as to not even be worth thinking about. 

and yet they bring it to the entire world as a disaster... let's all of us go back hibernating to our little burrows and munch some nuts and seeds for a few more years; the shmirus will decide we are gone and leave to another planet to find other trivial living.

On a side note: I read an article last night about a brilliant way to do arithmetic calculation: 32 x 11.  It says do 32 x 10 and add 32!  How bright, unusual, and innovative solution!  No wonder, the piece of a rag to hide one's face is the best resolution to save the world! 

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

On a side note: I read an article last night about a brilliant way to do arithmetic calculation: 32 x 11.  It says do 32 x 10 and add 32!  How bright, unusual, and innovative solution!  No wonder, the piece of a rag to hide one's face is the best resolution to save the world! 

Not sure what you're railing against.  There are all sorts of math tricks that can get you to the right answer and thinking of numbers as units of 10 (or 100 or 1000) is not some newfangled idea because that part of the math is easy.  In the case of multiplying any other two digit number by 11, you can also add the two numbers together and then bookend them with the digits of the number: 32 x 11 would be 3+2 = 5, then add the 3 at the beginning and the 2 at the end = 352.  42 x 11 would be 4+2 = 6, etc. = 462.  If the end result is correct, what does it matter how you get there?  It's not witchcraft.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

The Edge is not going out fully vaccinated. It will be at least 95% vaccinated guests. Each guest is being or will be asked if they have been vaccinated. If they answer yes, they will then be asked if they will present proof at check-in. If they answer yes to both questions they then move into the vaccinated group. Those who answer no to those questions will move to the unvaccinated group. Once the sailing reaches their 5% limit, that’s it. Some unvaccinated guests may not be able to board the ship.

that is crazy way to operate....just crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

Not sure what you're railing against.  There are all sorts of math tricks that can get you to the right answer and thinking of numbers as units of 10 (or 100 or 1000) is not some newfangled idea because that part of the math is easy.  In the case of multiplying any other two digit number by 11, you can also add the two numbers together and then bookend them with the digits of the number: 32 x 11 would be 3+2 = 5, then add the 3 at the beginning and the 2 at the end = 352.  42 x 11 would be 4+2 = 6, etc. = 462.  If the end result is correct, what does it matter how you get there?  It's not witchcraft.

Ugh. Is this new math or old math or...  It’s no wonder I flunked Calculus.  🙃

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

that is crazy way to operate....just crazy.

I don’t see it that way. Unfortunately they’re having to deal with the cards that they were dealt by the state of Florida. Personally if I were unvaccinated I would not book. It’s not going to be fun for that five percent group of guests. 

• Like 5