Didn't take long

12 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I actually think 2 cases in one family makes a lot of sense...just posted this in another thread.

The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting Covid...we aren't immune. It can significantly reduce the chances of catching it, and significantly reduce your viral load making it harder for you to pass it to someone else.

If a vaccinated person manages to contract it, I can see them quite easily re-transmitting it to a spouse in close or intimate contact, but doubtful they would infect someone passing by in a hallway or restaurant.

You are assuming that the spouse or family member would have the same failed or reduced level of vaccine protection as the other.  I would think that would be extremely rare. Perhaps one family member getting it from an infected unvaccinated person, but two related vaccinated people giving it to each other?  There is nothing about a familial relationship that would physically drive that. 

50 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Update from someone on the ship on the Celebrity board. Everyone tested to renter the US as required. That is why the two passengers were tested even while being asymptomatic. Still does not explain how two supposedly vaccinated people in the same cabin tested positive. One maybe, but two?  Very rare indeed. My guess is they may not have been vaccinated in reality. If they lied and faked their proof, make an example of them.  This is going to put pressure on the cruise lines to verify vaccination records. 

Your “guess”

That is quite an accusation you levied against these two.  

You have zero proof of this.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Everyone uses the term unvaccinated loosely.  Unvaccinated also includes those who’ve had the virus.  So, if majority have been vaccinated and a huge group of unvaccinated have had the virus, then herd immunity would already exist.   

There is no absolute proof at this time that prior infection provides long term immunity. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Wow. 2 vaccine breakthroughs in same cabin. What are the chances?

So,,, the vaccine does not prevent you from catching COVID. It prevents you from getting seriously ill when you catch it. So, if you are out and about, careless with distancing in areas where COVID is prevalent, you could catch the virus. Since you have all of those great antibodies, your body will be working to kill it off,,, but you still have the virus and you could still test positive. 

MSC also had two cases this week in Italy. 

And the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas, 2 days before her first departure from Nassau, changed their protocol and will now require all passengers (vaccinated or not) be tested before boarding. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Is Celebrity conducting a test cruise on Millie? This is not a revenue cruise?

It is a revenue cruise. They did testing required for return to the US. That’s when the positive cases were found. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, the vaccine does not prevent you from catching COVID. It prevents you from getting seriously ill when you catch it. So, if you are out and about, careless with distancing in areas where COVID is prevalent, you could catch the virus. Since you have all of those great antibodies, your body will be working to kill it off,,, but you still have the virus and you could still test positive. 

And the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas, 2 days before her first departure from Nassau, changed their protocol and will now require all passengers (vaccinated or not) be tested before boarding. 

Vaccines have prevented 99.99% of those vaccinated from getting covid

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Then there will have to be protocols on even fully vaccinated cruises, including masking and social distancing, as well as restricted shore excursions. If it is that easy to become infected as a vaccinated person and infect someone else and we really can’t be sure of their vulnerabilities, then the cruise lines will need to protect all passengers as well as people at ports of call. Do you see where I am going with this? This changes everything. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And the chances of 2 in same family are?

Just now, BirdTravels said:

No, they prevent you from becoming seriously ill. 

Then why have only 0.01% of people who have gotten the vaccine also gotten covid?

Sure, one of the benefits of the vaccine is if you do get it, it'll affect you less. But it's actually done better than that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Didn’t take long, did it? 

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Very unusual.  Both in the same cabin. Were they really vaccinated? Would be interesting to find out. Why were they tested? If they were asymptomatic what would be the impetus behind testing in the first place? Makes me think there is more to this story AND that starting with the next sailing they will be testing all vaccinated passengers at the port. 

Shouldn't be big Deal. Vaccinated or not, bound to happen. Was detected during required end Cruise Test(less then 72hrs). They are from same Cabin and both Asymptomatic. Ship left with 3 Dr and 11 Nurses even though only carrying 30% Capacity. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Update from someone on the ship on the Celebrity board. Everyone tested to renter the US as required. That is why the two passengers were tested even while being asymptomatic. Still does not explain how two supposedly vaccinated people in the same cabin tested positive. One maybe, but two?  Very rare indeed. My guess is they may not have been vaccinated in reality. If they lied and faked their proof, make an example of them.  This is going to put pressure on the cruise lines to verify vaccination records. 

I agree with the pressure part and hopefully they have a way to do it.  But for this particular sailing out of a foreign country how would you go about validating their proof of vaccination?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

I agree with the pressure part and hopefully they have a way to do it.  But for this particular sailing out of a foreign country how would you go about validating their proof of vaccination?

I don't have an answer to that question.  But it is a question that will likely need to be answered by those at the cruise lines.  This may be a one off situation, but if this occurs on other fully vaccinated cruises with tests to reenter the US, then it may change not only pre-boarding requirements but protocols for all passengers, vaccinated and unvaccinated.  The cruiser on the Celebrity board said the mood on the ship immediately changed when the Captain made the announcement about the positive cases and that they would be conducting contact tracing, and many people started wearing masks again.  Chilling.

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Vaccines have prevented 99.99% of those vaccinated from getting covid

We don’t actually know that since everyone that is vaccinated is not routinely tested. And each vaccine has a slightly different percentage of effectiveness.  That being said, I agree that the vaccines are very effective 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

I don't have an answer to that question.  But it is a question that will likely need to be answered by those at the cruise lines.  This may be a one off situation, but if this occurs on other fully vaccinated cruises with tests to reenter the US, then it may change not only pre-boarding requirements but protocols for all passengers, vaccinated and unvaccinated.  The cruiser on the Celebrity board said the mood on the ship immediately changed when the Captain made the announcement about the positive cases and that they would be conducting contact tracing, and many people started wearing masks again.  Chilling.

Yeah, as I said in another forum you have 600 passengers on that ship and everyone vaccinated.  What is going to happen when you have 9000 passengers on an RC oasis class ship and non vaccinated people on board.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Yeah, as I said in another forum you have 600 passengers on that ship and everyone vaccinated.  What is going to happen when you have 9000 passengers on an RC oasis class ship and non vaccinated people on board.  

What ship is that?  9000 passengers, that must be the NEW megalith of the seas... it is supposedly 19 miles long, and has a flight deck suitable for Airbus A380 to land on in order to take the passengers to the ports and the airports before and after the cruise.😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It is like, Oh Crud. I was really hoping things would go well on the initial sailings of fully vaccinated cruises. Of course, I was hoping things would go well with the Barbados sailings too.:classic_smile: 

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

What ship is that?  9000 passengers, that must be the NEW megalith of the seas... it is supposedly 19 miles long, and has a flight deck suitable for Airbus A380 to land on in order to take the passengers to the ports and the airports before and after the cruise.😂

its around 9000 with passengers and crew.   6,680 just passengers max. Still amazing to me they can get that many people on a ship.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Not sure when the story was released, but just heard a report on national news. 

Media loves  this stuff. 
m

And why wouldn't they?  Media loves anything newsworthy.  And COVID infection in fully vaccinated passengers on board the first cruise to sail in North America since the pandemic shut cruising down is certainly newsworthy.  There are actually several reporters/news crews on the ship.  That is why this is so precarious for the cruise lines, and maybe it's better that it happen now than with sailings from the US.  They can make any necessary changes to try to prevent this from occurring again, if possible. And IF this turns out to be a case of falsified vaccination records, then that has to be publicized too.  Lessons learned.

• Like 2