Two Celebrity passengers test positive on first Celebrity cruise

Cali Viajera

27 minutes ago, c-boy said:

now hold on here people. You are going down a slippery slope here with statements of false vaccination cards. Any thing of that nature has to be verified, speculation on this thread don't cut it. 

" Even with a fully vaccinated (and tested) crew and passenger base, breakthrough cases could happen. They've happened on land, and they certainly could happen at sea.

As one cruise line exec said: "You'll never eliminate COVID entirely, it's how you deal with it that is important."

Though it is possible, it really is disconcerting that people are jumping to the conclusion that they forged their vaccination cards. It seems to be a sign of the times that people are so distrusting of one another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

600 passengers.  ONLY 2 show as asymptomatic.  0.33% of the passengers. On a ship where everyone is supposed to be vaccinated.

Seriously, nothing to see here.

And it was handled calmly and the cruise continued. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Ohhhh My.....

Yes, it begins.....

Everyone is behind, here.

Isn't t his now three current sailings with COVID onboard.

NOT looking good.

I wonder how many test positive at a hotel, resort, restaurant, etc that we might all visit for some period.  Or maybe even on an airplane?  With all the testing, a cruise ship is more than likely the most safe place to be wrt this issue. 

A similar situation exists with Noro.... the general population has a higher risk to it than those on a cruise ship, but most every incident of Noro on a ship gets a story.

Everything is relative!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

now hold on here people. You are going down a slippery slope here with statements of false vaccination cards. Any thing of that nature has to be verified, speculation on this thread don't cut it. 

" Even with a fully vaccinated (and tested) crew and passenger base, breakthrough cases could happen. They've happened on land, and they certainly could happen at sea.

As one cruise line exec said: "You'll never eliminate COVID entirely, it's how you deal with it that is important."

You are correct.  But let's look at the numbers, which I saw reported today:  Just over 10,000 people out of 101,000,000 people vaccinated.

Edited by K.T.B.

There have been fake vaccination cards for sale on Amazon and Esty plus a couple of others.  Check out google.  Most have been taken down but people will still try to skirt the requirements. 

2 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

You are correct.  But let's look at the numbers, which I saw reported today:  Just over 10,000 people out of 101,000,000 people vaccinated.

I think your numbers are off:

Here's the entire country (including midwest which lags):

Screenshot_20210611-094142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b70a5e79ef474a316263ef451183bdcd.jpg

just California by quarter (yes it's ramping up more slowly now):

Screenshot_20210611-094550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3926e8ac038362a6eaf78effb9a60ac5.jpg

Now if you're referring to worldwide, that might be true HOWEVER those on ships out of USA or UK can require vaccinations (and I don't know if cruising is even allowed downunder at this point) thus minimizing Covid-19 threat. And it'll never go away, much like the flu. 

I agree that sequestering is apparently working. Which is why I will only book balcony if solo, mini-suite when taking kids (there's only so many cartoon hours I can take)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey here's a thought, although you have been Vaccinated...you still can get Covid!!!!  the day you get vaccinated you are at full 94% but say you were vaccinated in January you now are not 94% protected anymore, they are saying the vaccine might last 6-8 mos without a booster. so how much protection do you have if you didn't get the booster?? 5 months later... did they fly on a plane? did the stay in a hotel? did the eat in a restaurant? it did say they went on a excursion, were all the people they been around on all these places vaccinated? the answer is NO! so, believe it or not Vaccinated people can get covid, and some do. far as checking if the Vaccine card are real? there is No National Database only state records, my card was handwritten by a nurse that was probably a 100, and even hard to read, I asked if I needed another card they told me i would be fine. finally the people who tested positive didn't show any signs of illness, so could of been fake positive.  bottom line if you are scared and don't want to chance of someone, even a vaccinated person testing positive stay home!!

the cruiseline did all they could tested 72 hours ahead, asked for everyone to be vaccinated and tested again near the end of the cruise. that is all the can do. the chance of someone using a fake covid card go up the more they force people to have one to travel, i am fully vaccinated and that was my choice and the last time i checked this is America and people are free to make their own choice to get vaccine or not. it's not up to me or you to tell them how to live there life. if the cruise lines choose to only allow vaccinated people on board then the non vaccinated will have to choose to vacation elsewhere.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

And it was handled calmly and the cruise continued. 

I really hope they do not send a letter to each state room or blab it on the PA system. I would NOT want to know if someone is isolated with covid19. If they are isolated. They are handling it. let me enjoy my cruise. Prior to covid19, If someone comes down with any disease on a ship. No one is told. So many things happen on a cruise you know nothing about. People die on cruises. nothing unusual about that at all.

• Like 9

Too true @ALWAYS CRUZIN. once the next room was secured, found out when steward wouldn't go in there, room service delivered by masked / gowned attendant.  Later found out it was measles

Its not that it happens, it's how it's handled 

Edited by Ombud

20 minutes ago, 1Gizmo said:

There have been fake vaccination cards for sale on Amazon and Esty plus a couple of others.  Check out google.  Most have been taken down but people will still try to skirt the requirements. 

Even real CDC vaccination cards are being stolen from vaccination sites to sell them such as this guy who stole over 500 CDC shot cards in CA. Why? Because they’re valued at over $10,000.

We’ll never know if those passengers had forged shot cards but there’s a sizable number of people who won’t get vaccinated & some of those will want to cruise & will seek forged CDC shot cards to sail.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-09/employee-charged-with-stealing-covid-19-vaccine-cards-valued-at-10-000

The CDC has a list for each state’s official shot records which would be much more difficult to forge than filling out a blank CDC shot card. I have my CA immunization record as further proof beyond a simple fill in the blanks CDC shot card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

DH and I discussed this and our first take was a question.  As unlikely as breakthrough cases are, what are the chances that two people sharing the same cabin both have a breakthrough case at the same time?

2 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

Assuming properly administered, including wait-times between and after shots, two-shot Moderna  or Pfizer, .05 x .05 = .0025 or .25% times the standard infection rate. Crazy low, but still possible, and even likely, over huge populations.

There could also be issues that there was a bad batch of vaccine. Also there is some evidence out there that some dietary supplements and prescription drugs (don't ask me which ones, I don't remember) diminish the efficacy of the vaccines. Could be lots of valid reasons they were both valid breakthroughs. Still wouldn't hurt to check though.

3 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I think that anyone on a "vaccinated" cruise who tests positive during the cruise should have their true vaccination status confirmed with their doctor or state/national health authorities.  If it's proved that they used fake vaccination cards and have not really been vaccinated, they should be ordered to pay fines or restitution to the cruise line and all others affected by their charade.  Not a popular option I'm sure but perhaps advance notice of such possible actions will cut down or even eliminate any attempts to game the system.

They should also be banned from cruising. Follow the rules or lose the privilege.

• Like 7

So, X and the MSC had passengers that tested positive this week (not speculating how they got it, it's irrelative without the facts).

My concern (and I would think many would share it) is on the MSC cruise, the couple of positive cases went on a shore excursion while at one of the ports. As reported here on CC home page, all the folks on that shore excursion had to quarantine in their cabins until they tested negative on the ship.

This is what would piss me off, to be quarantined to our cabin because someone else tested positive in our excursion, dinning table, cards/trivia, etc.

I would think everyone who said they are good with how the new protocols are working  might change their minds if it was them that had to stay locked inside their cabin (mostly being vaccinated) in the middle of their cruise (IMHO).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chef Brian said:

Hey here's a thought, although you have been Vaccinated...you still can get Covid!!!!  the day you get vaccinated you are at full 94% but say you were vaccinated in January you now are not 94% protected anymore, they are saying the vaccine might last 6-8 mos without a booster. so how much protection do you have if you didn't get the booster?? 5 months later... did they fly on a plane? did the stay in a hotel? did the eat in a restaurant? it did say they went on a excursion, were all the people they been around on all these places vaccinated? the answer is NO! so, believe it or not Vaccinated people can get covid, and some do. far as checking if the Vaccine card are real? there is No National Database only state records, my card was handwritten by a nurse that was probably a 100, and even hard to read, I asked if I needed another card they told me i would be fine. finally the people who tested positive didn't show any signs of illness, so could of been fake positive.  bottom line if you are scared and don't want to chance of someone, even a vaccinated person testing positive stay home!!

the cruiseline did all they could tested 72 hours ahead, asked for everyone to be vaccinated and tested again near the end of the cruise. that is all the can do. the chance of someone using a fake covid card go up the more they force people to have one to travel, i am fully vaccinated and that was my choice and the last time i checked this is America and people are free to make their own choice to get vaccine or not. it's not up to me or you to tell them how to live there life. if the cruise lines choose to only allow vaccinated people on board then the non vaccinated will have to choose to vacation elsewhere.

There is a lot to digest since cruises such as this one are being watched carefully to determine how safe it is to cruise.  There seems to be a LOT of press on this cruise.

Yes you can still get COVID if you are vaccinated.  The Delta variant might also be a concern.  When it comes to travel some countries are highly vaccinated but are having issues with the low efficacy of the vaccines used.

The Delta variant might be a ticking time bomb for the unvaccinated.  

If we choose to travel we will all be potential research cases in the event of a COVID breakout.  If someone chooses to travel unvaccinated with forged vaccination documents they might find themselves navigating a foreign legal system.  People make choices like this all the time.

My next cruise is a river cruise in September in Peru.  I am a bit nervous about what is going on in Peru but hope the safety precautions of the group and tour operator work out.  Any international travel has its risks right now but I just assess the risk and take appropriate precautions.  I’m also glad I have Pfizer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I think your numbers are off:

Here's the entire country (including midwest which lags):

Screenshot_20210611-094142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b70a5e79ef474a316263ef451183bdcd.jpg

just California by quarter (yes it's ramping up more slowly now):

Screenshot_20210611-094550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3926e8ac038362a6eaf78effb9a60ac5.jpg

Now if you're referring to worldwide, that might be true HOWEVER those on ships out of USA or UK can require vaccinations (and I don't know if cruising is even allowed downunder at this point) thus minimizing Covid-19 threat. And it'll never go away, much like the flu. 

I agree that sequestering is apparently working. Which is why I will only book balcony if solo, mini-suite when taking kids (there's only so many cartoon hours I can take)

NOT worldwide.  64% of the adult population in the US has at least one dose of a vaccine.  This is according to Steve Kornacki.  If anything, the numbers I used are an understatement, but it's what I saw last night.  64% would equal just over 163 million people with just one dose.  Kornacki also mentioned 53% are fully vaccinated, meaning 135 million fully vaccinated adults over 18.

Now, I would post the link to Kornacki pointing this out, but it could be perceived as political, but here's a screen shot:

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

There are three...  Celebrity, MSC, and RCI.  Right?

Anyhow, we know that fake VAX records are out there.

We know that some number of people do not want to get the vaccination, for different personal reasons.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wondering about that.

And, I do not know that the CDC has ANY authority,  or anyone else here for that matter, to verify the vaccination records of these passengers.  The passengers could be from, or have recently traveled to/from, any other country.   (yes, that is the reality when one cruises)  The ships did not sail from the U.S.   And the U.S. government has no real database.....  Who knows how reliable each different States records are?

It all goes to show that no matter how great and wonderful the requirements and so-called 'protocols' are, there is no escaping the risk of COVID, or any other virus or issue.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

All passengers, including the two that came down with Covid-19, had negative test results within the 72 hours prior to boarding.

So it is most likely that they were already infected at boarding time, but not enough to have shown up on the pre-board test. They might have been infected before the Covid-19 test or after it.

The tests that showed them to be positive were taken 3 days before the end of the cruise. That would be consistent with someone coming on board infected, but not enough at that time to test positive.

If they did infect anyone on board, it would likely not be detectable 3 days before the end of a seven day cruise. So it is not a surprise that known close contacts would not test positive that soon even if they have become infected.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

There is a lot to digest since cruises such as this one are being watched carefully to determine how safe it is to cruise.  There seems to be a LOT of press on this cruise.

Yes you can still get COVID if you are vaccinated.  The Delta variant might also be a concern.  When it comes to travel some countries are highly vaccinated but are having issues with the low efficacy of the vaccines used.

The Delta variant might be a ticking time bomb for the unvaccinated.  

If we choose to travel we will all be potential research cases in the event of a COVID breakout.  If someone chooses to travel unvaccinated with forged vaccination documents they might find themselves navigating a foreign legal system.  People make choices like this all the time.

My next cruise is a river cruise in September in Peru.  I am a bit nervous about what is going on in Peru but hope the safety precautions of the group and tour operator work out.  Any international travel has its risks right now but I just assess the risk and take appropriate precautions.  I’m also glad I have Pfizer.

I'm of the same mind frame when it comes too The Delta variant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

My concern (and I would think many would share it) is on the MSC cruise, the couple of positive cases went on a shore excursion while at one of the ports. As reported here on CC home page, all the folks on that shore excursion had to quarantine in their cabins until they tested negative on the ship.

On the MSC cruise, passengers were not required to be vaccinated so there is a bigger risk that the two infected passengers could have infected others.

Because this is a 7 day cruise and this was the middle of the cruise, it is unlikely anyone who did catch the virus from either of the two passengers would have detectable levels for a Covid-19 test to detect before the cruise ended.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

NOT worldwide.  64% of the adult population in the US has at least one dose of a vaccine.  This is according to Steve Kornacki.  If anything, the numbers I used are an understatement, but it's what I saw last night.  64% would equal just over 163 million people with just one dose.  Kornacki also mentioned 53% are fully vaccinated, meaning 135 million fully vaccinated adults over 18.

Now, I would post the link to Kornacki pointing this out, but it could be perceived as political, but here's a screen shot:

Capture.JPG

K but my cruises until late 2022 are US based and they have to be 98% crew / 95% pax vaccinated (100% Alaska) for at least 14 days before getting onboard. So whereas that is indeed unfortunate for other areas outside USA it does not affect Princess Cruises

I post on other sites about how the US stepped up for us and was late to the scene donated vaccines to the rest of the world which we have done. And we are sending out another countries (80m to India, 500m worldwide). We just handled us 1st

Edited by Ombud