No Vaccines Required?

1 minute ago, jerseygirl3 said:

So Odyssey has cancelled all their Caribbean cruises out of Florida  cruises from July 3-31 due to 8 crew members testing positive for Covid. They were not fully vaccinated. 

Doesn’t bode well for Royal saying they won’t require vaccines for sailings out of Florida. 

Maybe they want Desantis to see this? If unvaccinated cruises go as planned right now, won't be long until cruising is again shut down for those unvaccinated cruises? Royal will have no other choice..........Bye Bye Florida !!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe they want Desantis to see this? If unvaccinated cruises go as planned right now, won't be long until cruising is again shut down for those unvaccinated cruises? Royal will have no other choice..........Bye Bye Florida !!

HUH? Celebrity and Carnival (and NCL) are both requiring vaccines FROM FLORIDA. There is clearly a way to do it. Royal has chosen to go this route, for some reason which we do not fully understand. 

14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Y’all are funny if you think Florida is going to fine cruise passengers for showing proof of vaccines...or the cruise line for asking..

No one gets fined for showing proof,, they are going to fine the Cruise Line for asking only.  Desantis said he WILL enforce the fine.  I see no reason why he wouldn't unless the courts remove the executive order.

Edited by Mythbuster
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fredric22 said:

HUH? Celebrity and Carnival (and NCL) are both requiring vaccines FROM FLORIDA. There is clearly a way to do it. Royal has chosen to go this route, for some reason which we do not fully understand. 

My guess is they are hoping to pull passengers who don’t want to be vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, Mythbuster said:

No one gets fined for showing proof,, they are going to fine the Cruise Line for asking only.  Desantis said he WILL enforce the fine.  I see no reason why he wouldn't unless the courts remove the executive order.

And some legal minds have said his fines will never hold up in a court of law. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

DeSantis would look like a villain if he starts fining the very businesses he has been trying to get back up and running! He is NOT going to do that. What he says publicly and privately are two sperate things. What most people don't understand is that DeSantis and the cruise lines are on the SAME side. The cruise lines are all hoping that the ruling goes in FL's favor and the CSO is dissolved. You think the cruise lines want to be subjected to operate under such strict protocols that limit the amount of children they can have on-board? Absolutely not. So much is happening behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

No one gets fined for showing proof,, they are going to fine the Cruise Line only.  Desantis said he WILL enforce the fine.  I see no reason why he wouldn't unless the courts remove the executive order.

🤣🤣 Sure, cruise lines are going to shell out 20+ million a cruise ... not. I'm sure the lawyers already have the briefs written.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

Executive Order that Gov DeSantis can remove? Nope. It's actually a Florida Legislature passed Bill signed by Gov DeSantis and now Law. Though get point on possible Court action, same-same... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BSocial said:

My uneducated guess is the Vaccine requirements will fade away soon after the CSO expires. 

Maybe. Maybe not.  The cruise lines will not do things against their best interests simply because the CSO expires. They will watch how things proceed with infections and variants, not just in the US but around the world, and respond accordingly. The cruise lines will follow whatever protocols are required to continue to sail safely whether they are told to by the CDC or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Florida residents should contact Governor DeSantis and let him know what you think about his ruling. Just don't do that during his moment of silence.

Idk what percentage of florida residents actually care if cruises restart. I heard him being interviewed and cruising came up and his reply about battling the cdc. If I wasnt a cruiser I'd think his reply sounded very reasonable. Florida attorney general says cruiselines not immune from florida laws on vaccines. The average florida resident probably isnt like me and wants to cruise NOW. ..but the issue does give the cdc and desantis publicity. 

Someone said how is carnival able to do vaccinated. I'd say good question. After horizon hung on for all last week about their july cruises, last friday night carnival finally sent them a email saying they are on, go time, we will send you protocols in the next week or two. We are still in talks. .. so really no one knows how carnival thinks they will do a florida vaccinated cruise. If I was a florida cruiser I'd wants answers by now.  It's almost july 4th go time for horizon. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

So go to a different cruise line.  I am glad RCI is not requiring vaccines.

Hmmm....and how well is that working for them.....still positives on the ships....cruises already cancelled....again.....

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

Am I wrong in stating that the FL law does not apply in situations where federal law applies?

If they dont do it for marijuana rules (Not Fla. but other legal states) i dont see why they would do it in this situation either.  IMO

9 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Florida residents should contact Governor DeSantis and let him know what you think about his ruling. Just don't do that during his moment of silence.

I did twice……no response. I truly don’t understand his reasoning. 

34 minutes ago, broberts said:

Am I wrong in stating that the FL law does not apply in situations where federal law applies?

I am wondering that too. There is a section (Section 5) where the language seems to say that businesses that have to follow federal rules/laws are exempt. I think this why FL is pushing so hard now to get the CSO invalidated. The CSO are the rules put forth under the federal law giving HHS the authority in public health emergencies.

The CSO rules should take precedence. But if the CSO goes away, the FL law takes over - no asking for vaccine status.  if the CSO stays in place the cruise lines will argue they have move forward under the federal regulations.

Whether the CSO is in place or not, the cruiselines won't be offering cruises the next day. They will be still be following a very similar timeline that they are now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, broberts said:

Theoretically that is true. But the state and the Governor have taken the position that the new law is not preempted by federal law. That is why Celebrity and Carnival have developed a plan to circumvent application of the law. So far Florida has not pushed back on that plan. We will see what happens with the planned sailings in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

They won't really be asking, it's going to be a voluntary uploading of info.  Those who do not upload the info, will presume to be unvaccinated, and thus treated accordingly.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Don't sweat it. I've seen plenty of Florida, New York (where I live) and California bashing. Never Wyoming or North Dakota though. 😉

Sometimes you just need to grow some thick skin and roll with the punches.

To be honest I have called those "fly-over states" which isn't very nice either.  Then again I also refer to the "fly-over" part of NY, which is everything that is not along the I-87 corridor 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

And some legal minds have said his fines will never hold up in a court of law. 

Not to mention the elephant in the room that no one is talking about..... so let's say DeSantis and others in their states continue with this type of state law, and by some ridiculous turn of events, the federal government agrees to ignore the Commerce Clause and all plenary powers it has with respect to international travel.  What will DeSantis and his supporters do about those pesky little (and not so little) foreign ports that require a vaccine to enter?  Are the proudly anti-vax passengers going to happily remain on the ship and say, oh well, at least my governor is awesome...

• Like 5

14 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

How hard is this to understand? 

• Cruises from Florida: It is strongly recommended that guests set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols at their own expense. These expenses are still being finalized. Based on our guest survey’s, we expect 90% of all our guests to be fully vaccinated

"We expect 90% of all our guests to be fully vaccinated". I would not bet the farm on that. Too many people in this country have not been vaccinated yet and do not plan to be vaccinated. 90% vaccinated as a "gestimation" is a bit too much, IMHO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Not to mention the elephant in the room that no one is talking about..... so let's say DeSantis and others in their states continue with this type of state law, and by some ridiculous turn of events, the federal government agrees to ignore the Commerce Clause and all plenary powers it has with respect to international travel.  What will DeSantis and his supporters do about those pesky little (and not so little) foreign ports that require a vaccine to enter?  Are the proudly anti-vax passengers going to happily remain on the ship and say, oh well, at least my governor is awesome...

Some people like staying onboard in ports.  That was true before 2020 and will be true after.

13 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Y’all are funny if you think Florida is going to fine cruise passengers for showing proof of vaccines...or the cruise line for asking..

From what I understand, Carnival and Celebrity are asking passengers to VOLUNTEER their vaccine documentation. Anyone who does not volunteer vaccine information, goes to the un-vaccinated "line". Once that section  meets the 5% threshold, no further people will be able to board the ship if they do not volunteer vaccine documentation.

IMHO.......this is absolutely a genius plan to "skirt" the Florida law. BRAVO Carnival and Celebrity for doing the right thing. I am very grateful to NCL too  for assuring their passengers 100% vaccinated crew and passengers on their ships. These cruise lines are doing everything in their power to keep their passengers and crew safe and at the same time offering their passengers a cruise experience that is not riddled with restrictions. I cannot relay my appreciation for their efforts enough.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

So Odyssey has cancelled all their Caribbean cruises out of Florida  cruises from July 3-31 due to 8 crew members testing positive for Covid. They were not fully vaccinated. Six are asymptomatic and 2 have mild symptoms. 

Doesn’t bode well for Royal saying they won’t require vaccines for sailings out of Florida. 

Agree wholeheartedly.

• Like 2