Missed the Millennium today - Reminder to NEVER fly on the day of the cruise!

Tapi

17 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Not surprising, but it is sad there isn't better communication between maintenance, flight crew and the flying public.

Although it is the pilot's job to work through the checklist so often times, that is how it is caught.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Interesting. 🤔 Hubby is a pilot for AA and he doesn’t even know if there will be a mechanical issue until he gets to the airport.

I defer to him, as he's the pilot.  But, you see patterns over time when you fly a lot.  Any time you see mechanics head to the plane while you're in the waiting area, plan on a delay.  If you don't see crew headed onto the plane at least 15-20 minutes before departure, plan on a delay.  The first flight of the day usually means the plane had landed the day before without a hiccup.  Something might happen, but it stands to reason if the plane landed the day before without an issue and has just sat at the gate overnight, then it will probably be fine the next a.m.

If there were mechanical problems the last flight of the previous day, the airlines will ordinarily replace the plane for flights the next day, at least that's been my experience.

Then, there are the obvious ones.  Weather is pretty easy to tell if there's a delay.  That said, I have flown in some pretty dicey lightning, snow, rain storms in the past.  I've been through my fair share of violent air pockets.

I don't know if AA policies are different than Delta's.  I haven't flown AA in quite some time.

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I Don’t fly in the day of the cruise in the Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. 

Yes, there are those that their vacation budget doesn’t allow the costs of an overnight or their time off is too limited. Understand. But being an experienced traveler doesnt mean squat when you’ve limited yourself to few/no options,. Experience doesnt lower the stress watching the wx and hoping, no other way of saying it, that later flights will be available close to departures. 

think about the fun and zest of planning a fun cruise and then playing the ‘what if’ game you put yourself in. 

Another approach I take when flying to Europe, which of course is day(s) prior, is I book a flight to the connecting hub to Europe Well prior, not the one that an automatic or travel agent sets up arriving an hr or even 2 prior. I arrive 3+hrs at least. And if I use Celebrity Air, you can change your local departure to an early flight out and relax at the major hub. Heck, been traveling more and got a CC that allows me access to a club. Nice!  Yes, more cost, but I won’t need Big Funds in 10-15 years, I’ll be sitting on my porch yelling at the teenagers to ‘Get off my grass!’. 

Enjoy and I suggest, yup just suggest, you lower the stress and give yourself options beyond hoping your someday flight makes it or you can jump on a later same day one. Left from a regional through a major hub to a regional last Monday and returned Friday and all, All, airports were jammed and my 6am departure flight was fully booked as was the return midday. So good luck rebooking a day prior or especially the day of departure.

den

I was quoting Alsmez about flying in the day of because there can always be unexpected mechanical issues. When we fly out of the country we leave at least 5 days before and usually stay 3+ days after. Within the county it depends. Last year we had one that was to leave out of Tampa. We were going to be flying in the day before and it’s only a 5 hour drive if we need to. Others that aren’t in Florida it would be 3+ days.

I know everyone can’t do this, but flying in the day of is not a good idea IMO.

BTW hubby flew Orions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

What about snowstorms? Would you still fly the day of during the winter?

Yes, because the snow could just as easily occur the day before,  meaning you are left scrambling to find a day-of flight (which will likely be full of other people trying to do the same thing). I watch the weather and change our flights in advance accordingly when we fly during the winter. Much easier to change before the snow hits than after.

8 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

We're so risk averse that we go down the day before a cruise because of what should be a three to three and a half hour drive to the port.  There are occasionally accidents on major highways that tie up traffic for hours at a time, so why take the chance?   Even if you're in town the night before you sometimes hit one of those clogs near the port that sometimes becomes absolute gridlock, which is still a stressful way to start what should be a fun and relaxing vacation.  This is why I hate going out of the Port of Miami or Port Everglades and reeeeeally wish Celebrity would expand their Florida footprint to Port Canaveral.

I also don't fly to away football games the day of the game!

And smart: I once drove to DC wth tix for a rare show at Blues Alley that night, back when it only took 2 1/2 hours to get there. Took me NINE hours. Horrible 3-semi-crash, closed 95 in both directions, shunted us all down one-lane country roads from which "you can't get there from here" and therefore clogged with lost drivers, including ran out of gas and fender benders... Fun. Missed the show of course--and now Jon Hendricks is dead.

I can only think is, that we purchase good enough insurance for such situations to help out...

Yes, another expense, yet another safeguard 'just in case'...

Quite a few have gotten away without it, and then there are quite a few who wished they had it for the unforeseen incidents which arose (unforeseen is the key word here).

bon voyage

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

Yes, because the snow could just as easily occur the day before,  meaning you are left scrambling to find a day-of flight (which will likely be full of other people trying to do the same thing). I watch the weather and change our flights in advance accordingly when we fly during the winter. Much easier to change before the snow hits than after.

Then there's return-flight issues. We invariably seem to get socked in in San Juan in the winter, with our flights grounded at O'Hare or JFK or somewhere... We once watched the boards as all the flights changing from delayed to cancelled, and spent 19 hours there. Margaritaville got a lot of our $$. The one fun thing was watching waves of pax running together as gate changes were announced.

Memba the snowmaggedons? Spent 3 days at ATL Marriott after disembarking in Tampa just as the first snowflakes fell... Allianz covered every penny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Now this advice is worth the price of admission: had never considered it as an option! We sometimes drive to Richmond, or take the train to DC, if the $$ work in our favor--always going a day early--but this makes the most sense of all. Since Norfolk "International" airport is merely a hub with no nonstops, and we're Advantage, we always fly AA through Charlotte anyway (which, with the newer terminals and necessary shuttles, is getting as bad as the Hellmouth of Air Travel, aka Hartfield-Jackson/ATL). THANKS!

(Missed the edit window) ORF is not a HUB, it's a stub, lol

My sisters, Mom and myself flew down to FL, day of flight using Celebrity Air.  We got to the airport, flight was cancelled and they actually put us on a flight the next day.  What!  

After finding flights, we had to split up.  The first flight was fine and we got to the ship early.  The second flight kept getting postponed.  We made sure the ship knew they were running late and the ship actually waited, closing the door as they walked on.  

Thankful Celebrity Air actually helped after all.

Diane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Agree….will fly in day of if…..

-direct fight to port airport

-later flight(s) available that will also get me to the port on time

-fly in a season that is unlikely to delay my flight

-fly early enough to get me into the port on time even with a 3 hour delay

I can't imagine EVER flying in day of for a cruise. We have only had to fly for a cruise twice, as we live in Florida and are no more than 4 hours from our farthest port. I'm even nervous about driving day of from Orlando to Port Everglades, and we leave about 7 am for a 3 hour drive if you don't stop. Too many things can go wrong with a flight that cause delays. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tapi said:

Not me, but I witnessed as a 78 year old lady, traveling by herself this morning to St. Maarten to board the Millennium, missed her connection, with zero chance to make it there before the ship sails tonight. 😢

It absolutely broke my heart, just thinking about all the preparations, and anticipation after so many months without cruising, go down the drain.

So I just wanted to throw this out there, and remind everybody to never fly on the same day of the cruise, no matter how many times you’ve done it without issues, or how many backup flights there are, etc, etc. 

Agree 100%.

So sorry for this lady. Hope she can make another sailing and fly a day before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

We're so risk averse that we go down the day before a cruise because of what should be a three to three and a half hour drive to the port.  There are occasionally accidents on major highways that tie up traffic for hours at a time, so why take the chance?   Even if you're in town the night before you sometimes hit one of those clogs near the port that sometimes becomes absolute gridlock, which is still a stressful way to start what should be a fun and relaxing vacation.  This is why I hate going out of the Port of Miami or Port Everglades and reeeeeally wish Celebrity would expand their Florida footprint to Port Canaveral.

I also don't fly to away football games the day of the game!

Port Canaveral would be nice! As we've only cruised Princess and Celebrity, we have never sailed from Port Canaveral, and we live in Orlando not too far from the 528 (we are a couple of miles directly north of MCO). I always think of going the day before, but then I see how much hotels cost, and I can never justify the expense. We just leave super early, and since I get up at 4 am for work every day, that is never an issue for me. 

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.

I’m a 2 hour flight to FLL or MIA.  There are about 2-3 flights later than the first flight of the day, which I always book (should be no issues with the plane coming in late from somewhere else).  …..

You list your location as ‘SW Ohio’, and say your flights to FLL/MIA is 2hrs. Where are you flying from or what airline takes 2hrs to fly ~1000mi from ‘SW Ohio’? I flew Navy jets and with taxi/takeoff/climb outs then flying a route, making an approach and landing/taxing would take 3-4 hrs minimum flying direct. Just a quick est on my side, but 2hrs?

den

17 hours ago, Tapi said:

Not me, but I witnessed as a 78 year old lady, traveling by herself this morning to St. Maarten to board the Millennium, missed her connection, with zero chance to make it there before the ship sails tonight. 😢

It absolutely broke my heart, just thinking about all the preparations, and anticipation after so many months without cruising, go down the drain.

So I just wanted to throw this out there, and remind everybody to never fly on the same day of the cruise, no matter how many times you’ve done it without issues, or how many backup flights there are, etc, etc. 

I agree , but I take it flight was not booked by celebrity, which I think would try to get you to next port?  We were supposed to fly to st Maarten on the day of embarkation, but then switched to edge since flights were way easier to book.

23 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You list your location as ‘SW Ohio’, and say your flights to FLL/MIA is 2hrs. Where are you flying from or what airline takes 2hrs to fly ~1000mi from ‘SW Ohio’? I flew Navy jets and with taxi/takeoff/climb outs then flying a route, making an approach and landing/taxing would take 3-4 hrs minimum flying direct. Just a quick est on my side, but 2hrs?

den

My upcoming flight from CVG to FLL is 7:10 a.m. from doors closing (7:20 wheels up, approx) and touchdown at 9:25 a.m. at FLL.  This is on Delta.

Ship sail time is 6:00 p.m.  Figure I have until 4:00 p.m. to get to the pier.

Edited by graphicguy

43 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I can only think is, that we purchase good enough insurance for such situations to help out...

Yes, another expense, yet another safeguard 'just in case'...

Quite a few have gotten away without it, and then there are quite a few who wished they had it for the unforeseen incidents which arose (unforeseen is the key word here).

bon voyage

Our MOA is to ALWAYS have travel insurance.  However, it only covers the financial side, not the stress and disappointment of missing a cruise you've been planning and anticipating.  😪

Just an FYI for those flying into a Florida airport as a final destination or for a connection.  It also applies to flights out if Florida.

I learned my lesson after moving to Florida and flying into and out of my home airport, Tampa.

This is the rainy season in Florida, lines of thunderstorms are common, and will move across the state from coast to coast or bottom to top.

One is not safe from the storms that are across the state. Airports will close to incoming flights and no outgoing flights will leave. It is not only a storm directly passing over a airport that will cause a delay but also any lightning with a certain distance of the runways (I think it is two miles for Tampa). All ground operations will cease on the tarmac, including the loading and unloading of luggage.

Incoming flights will be diverted to other airports and will land to wait until the affected airport can reopen. This affects all flights in the state like knocking over a chain of dominos.

Example, a line of thunderstorms is moving from east to west and causes flights into Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Palm Beach to be diverted to Orlando, Tampa, and possibly Jacksonville, to wait out the storm line passage.  

As the flights are diverted to alternate airports, the incoming and outgoing flights for those airports are delayed. Meanwhile, the storm line has moved west, and Orlando is closed and those flights are now being diverted to east coast airports to wait out the storm passage which in turn affects those flights waiting to leave or come into the airport.

By the time, Orlando reopens, the line is now over Tampa and the tarmac is packed with diverted flights so that are no incoming or outgoing scheduled flights that are not delayed. Some will be cancelled.

I imagine that unsnarling the airports is like peeling an onion. Somehow the planes that are blocking in the planes at the gates need to be put back in the air . Those flights waiting to depart need to have luggage, supplies and passengers boarded [(that is after unloading the plane of luggage from the previous flight when tarmac operations resume). Passengers from those flights are waiting for their luggage to appear.]

Worse delay I had was six hours waiting for Tampa to be unsnarled so my flight could leave.

Flying early in the day is no guarantee that the line of storms won't occur early in the day.

Now if I am flying out of Tampa and need to be somewhere at the other end, I will fly in the day before or book the earliest flight possible and hope that the storms haven't arrived with the dawn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

we always fly AA through Charlotte anyway (which, with the newer terminals and necessary shuttles, is getting as bad as the Hellmouth of Air Travel, aka Hartfield-Jackson/ATL). THANKS!

Hello sofietucker.  Quick question per  your description of Charlotte airport.....what is a minimum time that you would you recommend as a layover at CLT between flights to safely connect (assuming no extremely unusual issues)?  Thank you in advance....... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, George C said:

I agree , but I take it flight was not booked by celebrity, which I think would try to get you to next port? 

Cruises from St. Maarten pose their own set of challenges. I’ve repeatedly read that if you miss the cruise in St. Maarten, you’re not allowed to join it at the next port of call. If someone knows for sure, hopefully they can chime in. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

I usually fly to the port a day or two before a cruise.

However, this plan actually caused me to miss a cruise about 10 years ago. I was booked on a cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria that was departing from Southampton. I booked a flight so that I would spend two nights in London prior to the cruise. However, a volcano in Iceland erupted and many flights to Europe were canceled. The flight arriving in London immediately before my cruise was not canceled but it was completely full. If I had originally booked this later flight, I would have made the cruise. However, by booking a flight two days early, I missed the cruise. I realize that this was a strange situation, but it really irritated me that I missed this cruise.  

I am booked on the Celebrity Summit cruise scheduled to depart from St. Maarten on July 10. I am flying from Chicago to Miami on the Friday prior to the cruise. I am spending Friday night at a Miami airport hotel and taking the first flight to St. Maarten on Saturday morning. My flight is supposed to arrive before noon and the ship departs at 10:00 pm. I realize that there is some risk, but I did not want to arrange for a second COVID test in St. Maarten. Of course, I have travel insurance.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

16 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

I am booked on the Celebrity Summit cruise scheduled to depart from St. Maarten on July 10. I am flying from Chicago to Miami on the Friday prior to the cruise. I am spending Friday night at a Miami airport hotel and taking the first flight to St. Maarten on Saturday morning. My flight is supposed to arrive before noon and the ship departs at 10:00 pm. I realize that there is some risk, but I did not want to arrange for a second COVID test in St. Maarten. Of course, I have travel insurance.

Chuck

I am doing almost the same thing for our July 3rd Summit sailing. We are flying in on Friday to Miami (with enough time to have backup flights that day), and heading on the first flight from Miami to SXM... I normally prefer to arrive a day earlier, but flight options, testing requirements and work logistics complicated that plan so much that we figured this gave us a backup, where we could hopefully get on alternate flight options from FLL or MIA later or on other airlines like Jetblue or even Spirit...

After reading some of these posts though, it reminded me to get insurance, since I wasn't aware we wouldn't be allowed to board at the next port.

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Unfortunately, the existence of a later flight doesn’t mean that someone will be able to take it if they miss their original flight. Flights to leisure destinations, specially those with Saturday only frequency, are most of the time operating at 100% capacity. The airline isn’t going to bump confirmed passengers off a later flight to accommodate someone who missed their earlier one, even if they are on their way to catch a cruise. 

That's why I also suggested travel insurance if she hadn't already bought it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kearney said:

The ship leaves around 9pm and first stop is Freeport... so if worse comes to worse.. I suppose we could fly into Freeport... 

RC is not permitting downline boarding on the Adventure sailings out of Nassau (nor is Celebrity out of Sint Maarten) due to the additional COVID protocols when boarding these sailings.

10 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

RC is not permitting downline boarding on the Adventure sailings out of Nassau (nor is Celebrity out of Sint Maarten) due to the additional COVID protocols when boarding these sailings.

Well then I hope they hold the ship if need be.. hopefully it won't be necessary....