The Daily for Monday Jun 21, 2021

richwmn

Good Afternoon Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.   I haven't used a skateboard since my youth.  I think if I tried one today I'd be in trouble.   Another hot day here, hopefully it breaks on Wednesday.   Took my lunch break to start playing with the new phone.  Need to practice for Alaska.  

Hopefully some pictures from the yard as well as she who must be obeyed,  Amelia. 

20210621_133907.jpg

20210621_133701.jpg

20210621_133851.jpg

20210619_145017.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Got woken up before 5 am with thunder and lightning and it’s still thunder and rain.

Thank you, thank you for all the good wishes for our anniversary. We had a lovely dinner last night. We brought home some leftovers to enjoy today. Our waiter brought us a lovely dessert of butter cake, fresh berries and ice cream, no leftovers on that 😉.

No skateboarding for me although my oldest nephew was really into it when he was young. I used to visit the skateboarding shops to buy him stuff for his birthday.  I have done yoga before, I like tai chi better. I am an off and on exerciser, sometimes more off than on. 

The Riesling sounds lovely. I had a good Cabernet from Paso Robles las night. 

Haven’t been to the destination before, looking forward to pictures.

Prayers 🙏 for all in need of healing. And here’s to good tines to celebrate 🍷.

St Louis Sal

I see you like Tai Chi, I would love to learn, Yoga not for me.  Do you think on our long voyage with its many sea days, we could get a group together and learn the moves?  Cruising Katie  

• Like 9

@Vict0riannthose are very interesting bridges!  Number 2 is the one in Bordeaux, and am I wrong or is that the Prinsendam going under it?  I guess it has to be a small ship so that would work out right.  I went under that bridge on the Prinsendam myself.  I wish I could go back in time and enjoy some cruising on that ship again.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Vict0riannthose are very interesting bridges!  Number 2 is the one in Bordeaux, and am I wrong or is that the Prinsendam going under it?  I guess it has to be a small ship so that would work out right.  I went under that bridge on the Prinsendam myself.  I wish I could go back in time and enjoy some cruising on that ship again.

Yes it was.  I was going to add "after the Winter Garden Canaletto" was installed, but the bridge was opened after that happened.

Roy

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, cruising Katie said:

I see you like Tai Chi, I would love to learn, Yoga not for me.  Do you think on our long voyage with its many sea days, we could get a group together and learn the moves?  Cruising Katie  

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 7

Good afternoon everyone. I’m late today because I’ve been busy collecting information from sub acute rehabs or home health aids for when Sam comes home. It’s a big question mark right now because no one knows exactly what he will need or for how long. I’m a control freak and like to know exactly where things stand, but this is one of those times I can’t do it.

Sam is working hard and today he had an art therapist who I’m sure he loved. He was taking art, drawing and painting classes all through the pandemic and did some really good work.

My son had a skate board and he loved it. He did all sorts of tricks on it and wore it out. I’m not sure those things are safe without a helmet and shin guards.

Ill come back later to read and catch up.

Carol

• Like 23

Just now, JazzyV said:

Battening down for severe thunder storms, hail, high winds, and possible tornadic activity within the next half hour.

Stay safe and report back when the threat is over.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising Katie said:

It was on my Panama Canal/Hawaii/Tahiti cruise that I was first introduced to tai chi. HAL at that time had a Lifestylist who did some really good programs including a sunrise and a sunset deck walk each day. We had tai chi at the Lido pool every morning and we had a very good sized crowd. I would think if you could find someone to lead it HAL could set a space aside for you. 

St Louis Sal

P.S. Shout out to Lifestylist Megan who married a coworker from the ship, has a little baby and divides her time between her home in Sydney.and visiting Indonesia.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

My comment on the border opening - I was wrong, the border opening will only be for essential travel for now.   Do you think shopping is essential?🙃

I thought essential travel was already allowed because we've been seeing cars from B.C. and even Ontario all along.  (not that I think whale watching is essential LOL!) 

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I thought essential travel was already allowed because we've been seeing cars from B.C. and even Ontario all along.  (not that I think whale watching is essential LOL!) 

I'm not sure how it works - does US Immigration ask if the visit is essential?  Or, when Canadians are coming back into Canada, does Canadian Immigration ask if your visit to the US was essential?  Bit late...  I guess we will wait until July 21 and see if things are better then.  

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm not sure how it works - does US Immigration ask if the visit is essential?  Or, when Canadians are coming back into Canada, does Canadian Immigration ask if your visit to the US was essential?  Bit late...  I guess we will wait until July 21 and see if things are better then.  

US border security asks you on the way into the USA and turns you back if not. When you come back into Canada, you are asked why you were over and if not an essential worker you have to quarantine for two weeks. Our DSIL works in Michigan but has been working from home since the pandemic. If he does have to go to the office in auburn hills, michigan he ends up in two week quarantine on his return. Nurses, etc., who cross every day (essential workers) are exempted from the quarantine. 

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Those are the questions we've wondered too.  And how would you prove it was essentiaI or do they even ask for proof?

I don't know anyone who has tried it 😉  

Edited after seeing superoma's post

How do they know if the person quarantines?  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Battening down for severe thunder storms, hail, high winds, and possible tornadic activity within the next half hour.

😱 Stay safe!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

US border security asks you on the way into the USA and turns you back if not. When you come back into Canada, you are asked why you were over and if not an essential worker you have to quarantine for two weeks. Our DSIL works in Michigan but has been working from home since the pandemic. If he does have to go to the office in auburn hills, michigan he ends up in two week quarantine on his return. Nurses, etc., who cross every day (essential workers) are exempted from the quarantine. 

It sounds like the quarantine requirement will be lifted on July 5th for those that are fully vaccinated 👍 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, kazu said:

It sounds like the quarantine requirement will be lifted on July 5th for those that are fully vaccinated 👍 

I wonder if this would help DD's MIL who hasn't seen her Mother in Canada since before Covid?  Up until now she hasn't gone up because it would mean her DM and DS would have to quarantine, and her DM has dementia so wouldn't understand 😞  They are all fully vaccinated.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, cruising Katie said:

Welcome!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I wonder if this would help DD's MIL who hasn't seen her Mother in Canada since before Covid?  Up until now she hasn't gone up because it would mean her DM and DS would have to quarantine, and her DM has dementia so wouldn't understand 😞  They are all fully vaccinated.

I only heard the brief news, sorry.  I know it applies to Canadians - not sure about visitors, but if it isn’t in place yet, I’m sure it will be.

We got our final shots today and were warned to take pics, copies, etc of the vaccination proof.  And keep the original in a very safe place.

Fully vaccinated is being treated seriously here in Canada and the majority are getting it.  75% at their first dose and 20% at their 2nd.  The 2nd is going to be climbing fast now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Years ago I had a strange encounter with Border Control Canada, or whatever it was called then, at Sault Ste. Marie. I was staying on the Michigan side, but Sault St. Marie, Michigan, is a small village, while the one in Ontario is a city of some size. I wanted a better dinner than I could find on the U.S. side, so I made a reservation at a restaurant in Canada.

The border-control agent asked, "Why are you coming to Canada," and I replied, "To have dinner."

"How long will you be in Canada?"

"About two hours."

"Where are you going?"

I replied with the street address.

This all sounded extremely fishy to him. In Montreal, saying that you had come there to have dinner might have made sense; apparently in didn't in western Ontario. It probably didn't help that I was a young man, alone, in a sporty car.

He told me to park the car and go inside the building. There, a senior inspector with a strong Scottish accent checked an enormous black book to see if I had ever made trouble in Canada before. Since I hadn't, he let me in.

On my return, the U.S. inspector saw nothing peculiar about it. Possibly his family crossed the bridge for dinner frequently; I don't know. His only concern was that I had finished the dinner and wasn't bringing a doggie bag back with me.

I would guess that similar things happen to Canadians entering the U.S. The only other country where I've had that kind of difficulty was the United Kingdom. Her Majesty's inspectors have often seemed to be trying to talk me out of staying (strikes, awful weather, etc.). Back in the day, it took a long time to get into East Germany and Czechoslovakia, but they didn't imply that it was wrong of me to want to visit.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

On my return, the U.S. inspector saw nothing peculiar about it. Possibly his family crossed the bridge for dinner frequently; I don't know. His only concern was that I had finished the dinner and wasn't bringing a doggie bag back with me.

When he was in college, DH worked at the border  during the summers.  He had some pretty interesting (many unbelievable)  stories! 

• Like 10

It looks like the worst of the storm has passed. Some torrential rain and wind, otherwise all seems ok. There are about 16,000 without power in my county and surrounding ones, but no issue here, thankfully.

All trees seem upright. It's still thundering but that's receding.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4